Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest "Deep Threat" Receiver

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I think you are doing Rice a disservice. He became more of a possesion guy in the 2nd half of his career but in his first few years he had very very good yards per catch averages - his first 5 years he had a better than 18 yards per catch average overall (season high in that stretch over 20 and low just over 16). I know that does not tell a complete story because of run after the catch but when you factor in that in that period he was playing with Joe Montana who is a GOAT candidate at QB but was not a good deep ball thrower its still impressive.

The knock on Jerry was he lacked great speed and thats true but as you said he ran great routes, was very good at selling double moves, got in and out of breaks as fast as any receiver I have seen and had great football speed. He got behind a lot of corners and ran through a lot of zone coverages in his career. He was a lot more than just a possesion receiver he was a weapon teams had to account for every play.

I totally concur and was trying to distinguish him from Moss, which ended up bracketing him into one role it seems to my folly; which wasn't the intention.

Hail.

Archived