Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011-12 NHL and Other Hockey Thread [Hockey Hall of Fame class announced]

Sticksboi05

[lee corso] not so fast my friend [/lee corso]

Can't stand Crosby or the Pens, but this is AWFUL news for the NHL. I hope he thinks long and hard about his quality of life in the upcoming years. Sad part is, he's only 24. It's a shame. Some guys are more concussion prone than others, and unfortunately he may end up in the same sentences as Eric Lindros, Marc Savard, and Pat Lafontaine.

If he's done, it's been a hell of a career.

I'm probably the only Pen fan here and agree 100% with your statement. I believe Sid is 1 hard hit away from early retirement. Alot of people don't like him but ya gotta admit he's pretty darn good...when healthy.

Like I said, it happens in every city. And the fanbase isn't FILLED with douchebags -- there are a few, just like in every city.

Other cities don't take great pride in being a "gritty" "tough" [insert impressive-sounding adjective to emphasize manbawl] "working-class" city though

Other cities don't take pride in booing Santa or cheering Irvin on the ground as he lay injured, or booing Crosby during his cancer promotion. I don't care who you are, booing cancer awareness is NOT okay. Ever.

Anyway, few surprises in the NHL, including yesterday's Canucks Bruins rematch where 5 Canucks ganged up on 1 Bruin :ols:

Rangers doing well, as are Winnipeg who are surprisingly in 2nd

Things are still volatile though, as Wild once led West and now fall

Also, St Louis has done very well since firing their coach

Be interesting to see how standings play out over the last few months

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the shootout win by the Bruins today, and the announcer botched it and said that the Bruins were now atop the East because they had more wins than the Rangers. Seems that the Rangers are just one of those teams that people are waiting on to go downhill.

I watched the shootout win by the Bruins today, and the announcer botched it and said that the Bruins were now atop the East because they had more wins than the Rangers. Seems that the Rangers are just one of those teams that people are waiting on to go downhill.

I sure hope the Rangers start to choke. But they're pretty damn good.

I just lost all the respect that I had for Tim Thomas - and I like the guy a lot.

What a douche move to skip the White House. You can be an avid loony Glen Beck supporter and still visit the WH and Obama.

Suck it up fat boy and show your Canuck and European teammates that you aren't a nutter.

But no, you had to make a scene by being the ONLY BRUIN not in attendence.

****ing moron.

Pfft

James Harrison skipped out too

But I agree, show up regardless of political affiliation just for respect. It's just politics. You may disagree, but do you have to take politics that seriously that you refuse to show up?

Damn

Harrison didn't skip because of politics. He skipped because he (wrongly) felt it wasn't that big of a deal - since the Cards would have been invited had they won instead.

Either way - they were both free to make the (incorrect) decision.

I just think it's a shame that these athletes make petty decisions like this. Hopefully, they will regret their stupidity in 10-20 years.

edit...and I hope "Peggy" never sends him his replacement card. :ols:

• 3 weeks later...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/bettman-over-115-000-tickets-available-2013-red-160401646.html

Bettman: Over 115,000 tickets available for 2013 Red Wings, Maple Leafs Winter Classic

That the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs would meet in The Big House at the University of Michigan for the 2013 NHL Winter Classic was common knowledge for about the last month. The NHL's press conference announcing it and other details of the Hockeytown Winter Festival at Comerica Park on Thursday was a mere formality.

The real intrigue: What the NHL's expectations were for attendance. There's no other reason to hold the Winter Classic at a site like the University of Michigan, which offered challenges ranging from rental fees to alcohol licenses, except to set some attendance marks.

The current record for attendance at a hockey game is 113,411 announced (104,173 certified by Guinness World Records) on Dec. 11, 2010 between Michigan and Michigan State.

NHL Commission Gary Bettman on Thursday predicted the 2013 Winter Classic would be on pace to shatter that record.

• 1 month later...

It's called gamesmanship.

;)

Still - this was the lesser of all the things that happened in that game. Poorly officiated from both sides.

---------- Post added April-6th-2012 at 08:19 AM ----------

I love both of those clips and I can't say I disagree with Torts.

As for Clowe, what in the hell was he thinking? :doh:

He's thinking, it's the last 3 minutes of the 3rd period, at worst, if someone sees me disrupting this potential breakaway - it's a 2 minute minor for playing the puck from the bench. And we are already a man down, so the breakaway will be even more one-sided.

---------- Post added April-6th-2012 at 08:22 AM ----------

BTW - both Clowe and Thornton had Gordie Howe hat tricks in that game.

I love that stat. :ols:

I never really thought of Crosby as a cheater. A whiner yes. Cheater no.

I hate Crosby very much because he does play cheap. He loves to dive, and he tries to get away with as many chippy plays as he can.

His cheap shots aren't hockey-plays taken too far, either. He's not a case of someone just playing too aggressively, but rather someone who just puts in cheap shots when he can.

The Empire (Boston College) takes on Ferris State tonight at 7 p.m. for the national championship from the home of the Lightning in Tampa Bay. ESPN2 has the coverage. This is David vs. Goliath.

I'm going to record it and watch it later. I think I'll miss the end of the Caps game and most of the NCAA title game because I have a beer league hockey game tonight. I swear they try to always schedule our games during a Caps game.

I'm going to record it and watch it later. I think I'll miss the end of the Caps game and most of the NCAA title game because I have a beer league hockey game tonight. I swear they try to always schedule our games during a Caps game.

They had us scheduled during the Super Bowl. Ha!

We ended up rescheduling that game... for St. Patrick's Day!

They had us scheduled during the Super Bowl. Ha!

We ended up rescheduling that game... for St. Patrick's Day!

Me too! Our game was actually from 4:30-6 on Super Bowl Sunday. We went back an forth and decided to play, then the other team only had 3 players show up after the agreed to not postpone it. What a bunch of jackwagons.

Archived