Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Caps '11-'12 Thread [Dennis Wideman to Calgary for a 5th etc.]

Sticksboi05

Vokoun was amazing from the 1st period on. Him and Ovechkin were really the only consistently solid players in the 2nd and the 3rd.

I don't know, it's been 3 years now and we still can't generate any pressure in the offensive zone consistently. Gotta get better.

Sucks seeing Colorado at 4-1.

I think we can still attribute a lot of the poor passing to the new faces, and that's part of the issue clearing the puck. However, recent history has shown us that this is a symptom plaguing this team for much longer than just the first four games of this season. I've been really upset with Hamrlik. He is so concerned with getting the first touch in the defensive zone that he will wail at the puck with his stick in traffic (sometimes one-handed), setting up scoring opportunities for the opposition. He's had chances to clear, but is impatient and doesn't wait to secure the puck. I expect more from a seasoned vet. I hope his game improves.

Vokoun, while he looked good for most of the night, spends too much time down on the ice when he drops. He's older, so perhaps it's a symptom of age, but he goes down and stays there for a second longer than he should. His lateral movement, however, is certainly a sight to behold. Major props on his ability to close off the crease. I'm really looking forward to Neuvy getting back in net though. I still think he'll be our catalyst heading into the playoffs.

Ovi looked great tonight, and brought the energy. Backstrom seems to be returning to form, and Chimera is earning his paycheck, with or without goals. I feel bad for MP85, but he won't be seeing much time with the way MoJo is playing.

Good win. I just wish we could take teams like this and put them away. This isn't the Redskins and we are good enough to beat the Ottawa's of the league by more than a goal. I would've liked to see a 3-1 or 4-1 final. I understand we still have some chemistry issues and hopefully in a month or so, we'll see better overall play. The 2nd period play was terrible. We seem to let other teams control the puck at one point in every game and put the pressure on. The defense is still terrible on the lateral side of the goals. We leave too many guys open down low when the puck is on one side of the ice.

I think we can still attribute a lot of the poor passing to the new faces, and that's part of the issue clearing the puck. However, recent history has shown us that this is a symptom plaguing this team for much longer than just the first four games of this season. I've been really upset with Hamrlik. He is so concerned with getting the first touch in the defensive zone that he will wail at the puck with his stick in traffic (sometimes one-handed), setting up scoring opportunities for the opposition. He's had chances to clear, but is impatient and doesn't wait to secure the puck. I expect more from a seasoned vet. I hope his game improves.

Vokoun, while he looked good for most of the night, spends too much time down on the ice when he drops. He's older, so perhaps it's a symptom of age, but he goes down and stays there for a second longer than he should. His lateral movement, however, is certainly a sight to behold. Major props on his ability to close off the crease. I'm really looking forward to Neuvy getting back in net though. I still think he'll be our catalyst heading into the playoffs.

Ovi looked great tonight, and brought the energy. Backstrom seems to be returning to form, and Chimera is earning his paycheck, with or without goals. I feel bad for MP85, but he won't be seeing much time with the way MoJo is playing.

You'd really rather have Neuvy in the playoffs?

You gotta play the hot hand in the playoffs.

I think it's pretty clear that Neuvy is the more positionally sound goaltender of the two. Neuvy is always in the right place. Vokoun is the veteran though, has historically great numbers playing on a team that wasn't very good traditionally. I think you go with who the better goaltender is at the time, and this will be a long season to figure that out.

I think it's pretty clear that Neuvy is the more positionally sound goaltender of the two. Neuvy is always in the right place. Vokoun is the veteran though, has historically great numbers playing on a team that wasn't very good traditionally. I think you go with who the better goaltender is at the time, and this will be a long season to figure that out.

I like Neuvy but I don't think he can single handedly win you games or a series. I think Vokoun can.

I would think that if the Caps somehow make the playoffs, they should play the 3-headed platoon like the Flyers did last year :)

I will take the veteran 9 times out of 10. Vokoun came here on the cheap to win a Stanley Cup. Strictly to win a Stanley Cup. He will be motivated. Granted this is all too far away, let's have some fun in the regular season like normal.

Archived