Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Caps '11-'12 Thread [Dennis Wideman to Calgary for a 5th etc.]

Sticksboi05

I'm not going to sweat any of the early season stuff too much. Lotta new faces, still getting chemistry/coordination down, etc.

Vokoun will be better, and some of those goals by TB were fluky.

I agree. And if the Caps are still too loose and sloppy in January, everyone can worry.

I believe the team will find chemistry by then.

I honesty really like what I see out of the team so far. There is 4 new faces on the ice and one in net. It may take a little bit more time to gel, but I think this is going to be a great season for this team. Ovie needs to wake up, but besides that I am okay with what we have seen.

Last night they had to match a team goal for goal. I am glad they have the power to do it. A win is a win. 2-0 in the division, 80 more games to go. Crossing my fingers on that 82 - 0 season. :ols:

It is amazing how we cannot adjust to TB's offense...all they do is drive and throw the puck at the net. They did the same in the playoffs...is that so hard to guard against??

Serious question....

I was in Boston on Saturday night. We were in a sports bar watching the Caps on one TV, but the Bruins/TB game was on most TVs with the audio.

The Bruins showed exactly how to break down the 1-3-1, and the announcers were showing how they consistently got great looks at goal.

The key is to set up 2v1 in certain areas, as these guys are rarely in position to provide good cover. Quick, short passes and lots of movement created more 2 on 1 or shooter vs goalie situations than I've seen for a while. The final score could easily have been 8 or 9 goals for Boston. If their coaches can figure it out, BB needs to get to work and do the same.

Not sure how it's coming across on TV, but I'm kind of worried about Ovechkin. I thought last year was just an off-year (possibly due to an injury) but he just seems unable to hit the net nowadays.

Hope he makes me look stupid on Thursday . . .

I'm not worried about Ovechkin, althought I can understand why people would be. He's been physical which tells me he's healthy. He's skating well which tells me he's in shape. I think he's changing his game, he's becoming more defensive and not trying to challenge one on one so much. He's created some great looks for Backstrom and Knuble.

I think he's embrassing his captaincy now and he's becoming an all around better player. I expect his goal total to remain around 32-37 this year. I think he's going to get 60+ assists. I think his plus minus will also be better than in years past.

Ovie doesn't need to score 60 goals for this team to be successful.

---------- Post added October-11th-2011 at 06:04 PM ----------

What game are you watching? I mean don't hate just to hate Semin. He's had a pretty good game and has had more scoring chances then Ovie or Backstrom.

I have to chime in on this and agree that Semin looked far from lost in either of those two games. He backchecked hard, he created space for his linemates and he pinged the post on the 5-3 and got the clinching goal in shootout. Hockey is a tricky game. A player can bring their A game and some nights the puck just wont find them. I thought Semin was great off the puck last night and he was great on the puck on Saturday. If the Caps get that kind of effort from him night in and night out the bounces will eventually click for him and the Caps will be next to impossible to beat.

Ovechkin traveled halfway around the world and back this week, in the span of two days, then came and played two games in three days. Cut the dude some slack. The team has off today, so he'll get some rest, and then tomorrow is just a practice. Thursday he's playing his most hated rival, with the most rest he's had since the season began. If Ovie doesn't look good on Thursday, then maybe we can be a bit perplexed, but for now, not at all.

I was in Boston on Saturday night. We were in a sports bar watching the Caps on one TV, but the Bruins/TB game was on most TVs with the audio.

The Bruins showed exactly how to break down the 1-3-1, and the announcers were showing how they consistently got great looks at goal.

The key is to set up 2v1 in certain areas, as these guys are rarely in position to provide good cover. Quick, short passes and lots of movement created more 2 on 1 or shooter vs goalie situations than I've seen for a while. The final score could easily have been 8 or 9 goals for Boston. If their coaches can figure it out, BB needs to get to work and do the same.

The Caps did a beautiful job of breaking down the 1-3-1 last night. Probably the biggest positive I took from the game.

I just finished watching last nights game. I have a couple of observations over the first two games.

1. Over two games, Neuvy is clearly a better goaltender than Vokoun. It's just two games and the Lightning are clearly the better offensive team, but I just don't see Neuvy giving up such sloppy goals against the Bolts. We'll see how the season goes but I'd bet that Neuvy will continue to impress as the season goes on.

2. Not worried about Ovechkin. He's playing hard and he'll come around. If anything, I'm worried about Backstrom. He hasn't really been visible too much. It's still early though.

3. Semin. The boy brought it this season. He looks like the most skilled player on the ice over the first two games. Honorable mention to Johannsen against the Bolts. Semin though, looks like a total stud out there. He's handling the puck well, skating hard and playing good two way hockey.

One liners:

Love our "grit" lines.

Chimera looks good so far.

Love the new D pairings.

Semin looks good is a surprise? He was called out in the off season, and this is a contract year for him. He has every reason to set hte lague on fire this year. The question is can he maintain his intensity because that's been his knock. He always seems to have stretches where he can dominate, and then he disappears for a dozen or two games. I'm glad to see he's started hot. If he can maintain it all the way through the playoffs, I'll believe the Caps are the team to beat. That promise still seems like a long shot (that we Caps fans keep putting money on).

BB calling out Ovechkin bothers me. First of all I don't think you need to call anyone out after two games, two wins in fact. I also don't see how you would put Ovi at the top of the call out list. Backstrom looks tentative and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his shot. I'd start there if in fact I thought anyone needed to be called out. I'm calling out BB and saying he's got a long way to go to reach his coaching potential. Look at the OT game against Tampa, you are about to kill off a penalty and Bruce throughs 4 guys on the ice and they get the Too many men penalty. My Mens league team would even understand that's not allowed. Bruce is becoming the Rex Ryan of the NHL and that's not a good thing in my mind.

BB calling out Ovechkin bothers me. First of all I don't think you need to call anyone out after two games, two wins in fact. I also don't see how you would put Ovi at the top of the call out list. Backstrom looks tentative and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his shot. I'd start there if in fact I thought anyone needed to be called out. I'm calling out BB and saying he's got a long way to go to reach his coaching potential. Look at the OT game against Tampa, you are about to kill off a penalty and Bruce throughs 4 guys on the ice and they get the Too many men penalty. My Mens league team would even understand that's not allowed. Bruce is becoming the Rex Ryan of the NHL and that's not a good thing in my mind.

That's on the players. You know when your line is coming on/off. They don't call every line change.

Did some writing today, and got a few new blog posts up on www.sickunbelievable.com

We had over 500 hits today! However, we want some comments in our comment sections, to make the site more interactive and searchable. Will you, my fellow ESers, oblige?

Today I wrote on why tomorrow, should Vokoun start, the stage is set for him to make his first big splash...and also why fans in Washington are fickle...yeah, that one might get sticky.

Archived