Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Niles Paul Fined $20K for Hit on Pettis

ThePreciating

The NFL will reduce his fine. I can't imagine the league going through with a 20K fine on somebody that is being paid like 350,000 for the year before taxes. We'd being hearing a huge up-roar from small salary base players (majority of the NFL) and the teams.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

It wasn't even a penalty. It was a damn near perfect football play. If this had happened in the '80's even opposing players would have slapped his back for a perfectly timed hit.

I absolutely agree with you here..... It was a near perfect football play..... And before the last 2 years it would never of been flagged, unfortunatly the times have changed, IMO it is a terrible change and sucks for the game of football..... But that is how they are gonna call that every time now, and are players cannot hit helmet to helmet.... Paul hit him so hard that even if he did lower his hit on that play, I still think it would have caused a fumble, we would have recovered it more than likely without any penelties, which means it would have been a much better play for our football team. Unfortunatly times have changed and our football team is gonna have to adjust.

They had a funny exchange on twitter.

Austin_Pettis Austin Pettis

@Niles_Paul damn bro they hit u deep in the pockets....appeal it I shoulda called for the fair catch lol! That's all bad

2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Niles_Paul Niles Paul

@

Lol what you got on it? RT @Austin_Pettis: @Niles_Paul damn bro they hit u deep in the pockets, I shoulda called for the fair catch! Lol

1 hour ago

Austin_Pettis Austin Pettis

@

@Niles_Paul lol I got a two day headache that what I got FROM it lol

1 hour ago

in reply to ↑

@Niles_Paul

Niles Paul

@Austin_Pettis lol I'm sorry bro

:ols: this is good to see. And further shows that it definitely wasn't with malicious intent by Paul. Pettis knows that (and knows he should of waved that hand too!)

I don't disagree with a fine, but I do agree with others about how the fine should be a percentage rather than a flat amount. $20K is chump change to someone like Suh. Hopefully Paul will appeal and it'll be lowered though.

What I don't like is the fact that you take a still pic or run it in slow motion and say, yeah it is a penalty. Now run it at full speed. Paul looks to me like he leads with his shoulder and in the process of the play, his head moves up to the chin and the reciever puts his head down a little. Now that happens in what, one sceond. I mean, I'm all for player safety, but I thought the rule was meant to stop head hunting like Harrison for the Steelers does and guys like that. There seem like ther could be dozens of plays every game where there will end up being some unintentional helmet to helmet contact. Are they going to call them all? I think the only reason this got called and fined was because it was such a hard hit. But when the guy doesn't fair catch and you are running down the field full tilt....what are you supposed to do?

I would think that Danny would cover this bill....

Ya, the NFL doesn't allow for anyone to pay fines for someone because the Owner could have an unwritten rule that if you get a fine they will cover it, 'so go kill someone and don't sweat it!' So, it would be the right thing for the guys to pass the hat, but would have to be under the table and hush hush!

It was a fine worthy hit!

And don't forget the economics of the two comparisons

Paul makes minimum salary

Suh is on a $60 million contract that includes $40 million guaranteed. Another $8 million is available through incentives

Yet they both get the same fine? That to me is a tragedy and why I posted that story about the Practice Squad player who lost half a season of salary with the same fine amount

The punishment should fit the crime, not be a flat rate one size fits all

If it was OchoCinco wouldn't have offered to pay the fine of the defender who hit him

And Suh might not do that again. When your making 60 million what the hell is 20k?

Compare:

Paul - 20k fine is 6% of his salary

Suh - 20k fine is 0.03333333333333333% of his salary

To me that's the biggest issue I have with the way Goodell handles fines. It's just not fair

Yeah the fines should be a percentage of salary (say starting at 0.5% and going up for repeat offenses), not a flat rate. Suh would have to make more than 10 dirty plays a game to reach the same level as Paul's one fine :P

Paul's been a demon on blocking too, I hope this doesn't make him ease up.

Yea BASED on the rules seems about right. The dude has to make a football move. I say its BS, but it was helmet to helmet.

it doesn't matter. It's a punt return.

He has the option of fair catching the ball. he doesn't have to make a football move,, he's waiting on the punt. As soon as it touches him he is fair game unless he throws his hand up in the air and signals for the fair catch. Those are the rules. He is not classified as a receiver, so he casn't be a defenseless one, and the rules are clear.. he must touch the ball, and as soon as he does, he can be hit.

the helmet to helmet contact was completely incidental, it only was called because the ref first made up a rule that calls a punt returner a 'defenseless receiver" which is utter and complete horse****.. and then tacked on the helmet to helmet because he's a pansy who doesn't know the rules.

Those were two terrible calls.. Awful.

Paul got fined because anyone who hits someone gets fined these days, but there's no way in hell he should ever change a single thing about the play he made. It was textbook.

Textbook.

~Bang

It's really a shame because the league looked at Pettis as being a defenseless receiver when he wasn't. All Pettis had to do was put his hands up and declared a fair catch to avoid all those hits. That's old school football, Pettis didn't show common sense and now Paul has to suffer the consequences.

:helmet:

this is some pure BS. Boy, talk about lack of context. SMH

---------- Post added October-5th-2011 at 08:08 PM ----------

Homers. Homers. Homers.

If you don't see this as a fine, shame on you.

I loved the hit, I loved the Hines Ward physical presence in Paul.

But this was a fine. It was a VERY dangerous hit for both players.

But $20k though? Dang man! How is that fair? and it wasn't like he deliberately went for his head.

i agree with you bang in that its probably incidental (certainly, i dont think paul was trying to hit him with his helmet), but the fact is, his helmet hit the returners. pretty hard, too. the NFL is calling that these days, and the players need to adjust. i cant really blame them- concussions are dangerous.

if paul lowers his hit a few inches, we're not even debating this.

it doesn't matter. It's a punt return.

He has the option of fair catching the ball. he doesn't have to make a football move,, he's waiting on the punt. As soon as it touches him he is fair game unless he throws his hand up in the air and signals for the fair catch. Those are the rules. He is not classified as a receiver, so he casn't be a defenseless one, and the rules are clear.. he must touch the ball, and as soon as he does, he can be hit.

the helmet to helmet contact was completely incidental, it only was called because the ref first made up a rule that calls a punt returner a 'defenseless receiver" which is utter and complete horse****.. and then tacked on the helmet to helmet because he's a pansy who doesn't know the rules.

Those were two terrible calls.. Awful.

Paul got fined because anyone who hits someone gets fined these days, but there's no way in hell he should ever change a single thing about the play he made. It was textbook.

Textbook.

~Bang

A punt returner is still a receiver he is receiving the ball so he is in the same category as a wide receiver. It's still a foul per the rules of the NFL; NFL officials will give a receiver an extra split-second to basically get into a position where he can defend himself (a football move) before there is contact allowed.

Hey Im not agreeing with it I don't like it, I think it should be when any one touches the ball he is fair game, what can you do. Paul was fined for the helmet to helmet and was penalized for not allowing a football move. It's the right call under the rules. Sucks

A punt returner is still a receiver he is receiving the ball so he is in the same category as a wide receiver. It's still a foul per the rules of the NFL; NFL officials will give a receiver an extra split-second to basically get into a position where he can defend himself (a football move) before there is contact allowed.

Hey Im not agreeing with it I don't like it, I think it should be when any one touches the ball he is fair game, what can you do. Paul was fined for the helmet to helmet and was penalized for not allowing a football move. It's the right call under the rules. Sucks

edit.

OK, so I looked up the rulebook, and punt returners this year were included as defenseless receivers.

Then I shall go on record as saying that is some candy ass stupid bull**** right there.

Take away their fair catch, I say. Make them return every single one.

I will maintain Niles Paul and Perry riley made textbook beautiful FOOTBALL hits.

Whatever this game is turning into, I don't know, but in a FOOTBALL game, they would have been just dandy.

~Bang

These plays would happen every week; you know why they don't? Because returners call fair catch. If you want a "Halo" rule then take away the fair catch. If the ball touches the punt returner then you should be able to hit him immediately. Returners bend their knees when fielding a punt changing their pad level, incidental helmet contact will happen. Maybe Perry should have taken out both knees as he caught the ball.

Archived