Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Niles Paul Fined $20K for Hit on Pettis

ThePreciating

What sucks about this is that it is obvious Niles Paul made an effort to lessen the impact of the hit. He obviously turns his helmet as to avoid a direct helmet to helmet hit, unfortunately because the contact is made so high, his shoulder and helmet both make contact. I can understand the NFL dishing out a smaller fine, maybe 5k, just to say they are "taking things seriously" but to say he was deliberately doing it is pretty asinine.

Well, I was looking at getting a Redskins and Cornhusker autographed helmet from his website. Now I am definitely going to pick up some merch from him.

Can anyone tell me if this is the first time a player has been fined for hitting someone with the SIDE of his helmet?

I really hope this doesn't inhibit his abandon on special teams. :(

What sucks about this is that it is obvious Niles Paul made an effort to lessen the impact of the hit. He obviously turns his helmet as to avoid a direct helmet to helmet hit, unfortunately because the contact is made so high, his shoulder and helmet both make contact. I can understand the NFL dishing out a smaller fine, maybe 5k, just to say they are "taking things seriously" but to say he was deliberately doing it is pretty asinine.

Well compare it to another 20k fine the NFL gave out this year

f3qobyvv1AI

I mean you sort of have a point but my eyes are clouded with B&G :ols:

Sorry, there was helmet to helmet, even though it is slight. They're cracking down on stuff like that, why risk your team getting penalized and a possible fine for doing that?

If the receiver's reaction to the ball led him slightly down, we would prob be reading how he's being fed through a tube.

If anything, being he was right there when the guy caught the ball, if the receiver doesn't call for a fair catch, give an uppercut to the actual ball itself, screw the person catching it; getting the ball back is the primary goal, right?

I can understand the NFL dishing out a smaller fine, maybe 5k, just to say they are "taking things seriously" but to say he was deliberately doing it is pretty asinine.

You can certainly make a very strong case that the fine is excessive. I get the feeling that the NFL piled on a bit because of the prior defenseless receiver penalty, which is pretty much bull****.

I get what you're saying, but when I think "leading with the helmet", I'm thinking of leading with the crown of the helmet. Spearing almost. And he definitely ain't leading with the crown.

The notion that you need to lead with the helmet to draw a penalty is pretty much out the window these days and it's not a rule/interpretation change that I think there's much basis for being upset about. Glancing helmet-to-helmet contact is usually not going to be called unless it's on a QB but this was a little bit more than a glancing blow. A better form tackle by Paul would have averted this situation entirely.

Paul got fined and Paul probably deserved to be fined given how unnecessarily high he went up. So long as no one else who smacked the ever-loving hell out Pettis in that game gets a fine it seems pretty fair.

I mostly agree with this, although Paul clearly tried to drop his head for that hit. But on the other hand I know the NFL is out to make examples out of people these days.

As long as Riley doesn't get fined for his hit, because that was a total bull**** flag. Learn to call a fair catch or learn to walk on crutches IMO.

To hell with that. He makes $375K a yr. Let's start a pjfootballer fund. I REALLY hate my job and want to quit. But I can't afford to.

Lmao. Point taken. And I'm right there with you.

---------- Post added October-5th-2011 at 05:02 PM ----------

The notion that you need to lead with the helmet to draw a penalty is pretty much out the window these days and it's not a rule/interpretation change that I think there's much basis for being upset about. Glancing helmet-to-helmet contact is usually not going to be called unless it's on a QB but this was a little bit more than a glancing blow. A better form tackle by Paul would have averted this situation entirely.

Yeah watching the video above and not just going by that picture, you're right. He lowered his head, it was helmet to helmet.

Did you outbid me on the green one on the right on ebay?

He and Helu are two of my all time favorite players from Nebraska so I am trying to pick up some stuff with their autos. Helu is currently hard to come by though.

No that one came from my LCS, You'll love this one I got from the bay this weekend. Guy did a BIN for $29.99 on it and I got him down to $20 shipped. Later in the day the same card but not an H went for $30

Helu.jpg

I've been collecting mostly Ryan Kerrigan since game one. Have 7 different auto cards of his and always wanting more :)

Thats terrible especially since he was only due to make 375K this year before taxes.

Yeah only 375k :rolleyes: $20k is excessive but he will be okay. Watch the play again, it was helmet to helmet and the league is serious about it. If this was Banks being crushed ES would be in a meltdown.

BTW, The penalty on Riley was wrong....he timed it perfectly.

You are thinking as I am....he is a real Redskin and Mr. Snyder needs to step up for Niles

my friend and i were talking about it and i think someone like alexander should step up.

but you have to keep it on the DL, because goodell said he will not allow players to pay for other players fines.

fines should be percentages not set amounts because the punishments don't affect certain guys and crush other guys.

They had a funny exchange on twitter.

Austin_Pettis Austin Pettis

@Niles_Paul damn bro they hit u deep in the pockets....appeal it I shoulda called for the fair catch lol! That's all bad

2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Niles_Paul Niles Paul

@

Lol what you got on it? RT @Austin_Pettis: @Niles_Paul damn bro they hit u deep in the pockets, I shoulda called for the fair catch! Lol

1 hour ago

Austin_Pettis Austin Pettis

@

@Niles_Paul lol I got a two day headache that what I got FROM it lol

1 hour ago

in reply to ↑

@Niles_Paul

Niles Paul

@Austin_Pettis lol I'm sorry bro

I think it was a legit penalty. And I can see the NFL showing that they're "cracking down", so to speak, on helmet to helmet contact by fining. However, IMO, that fine is way excessive. If he was leading with his helmet, spearing him, etc then I suppose I could see it. But it really doesn't look like he was trying to do that at all. It seems that he lowered himself to try and hit with just his shoulder but wasn't able to do it fast enough and ended up with the side of his helmet hitting the helmet of Pettis.

Compare Paul's hit to the Suh video above on the play where he was fined 20k. Not even close. Paul had helmet to helmet contact but it certainly didn't look intentional. Suh grabbed a QB by his head, turned, and body slammed him. THAT was obviously intentional and was worthy of a 20k fine. Paul's penalty...not so much.

I think it was a legit penalty. And I can see the NFL showing that they're "cracking down", so to speak, on helmet to helmet contact by fining. However, IMO, that fine is way excessive. If he was leading with his helmet, spearing him, etc then I suppose I could see it. But it really doesn't look like he was trying to do that at all. It seems that he lowered himself to try and hit with just his shoulder but wasn't able to do it fast enough and ended up with the side of his helmet hitting the helmet of Pettis.

Compare Paul's hit to the Suh video above on the play where he was fined 20k. Not even close. Paul had helmet to helmet contact but it certainly didn't look intentional. Suh grabbed a QB by his head, turned, and body slammed him. THAT was obviously intentional and was worthy of a 20k fine. Paul's penalty...not so much.

And don't forget the economics of the two comparisons

Paul makes minimum salary

Suh is on a $60 million contract that includes $40 million guaranteed. Another $8 million is available through incentives

Yet they both get the same fine? That to me is a tragedy and why I posted that story about the Practice Squad player who lost half a season of salary with the same fine amount

The punishment should fit the crime, not be a flat rate one size fits all

If it was OchoCinco wouldn't have offered to pay the fine of the defender who hit him

And Suh might not do that again. When your making 60 million what the hell is 20k?

Compare:

Paul - 20k fine is 6% of his salary

Suh - 20k fine is 0.03333333333333333% of his salary

To me that's the biggest issue I have with the way Goodell handles fines. It's just not fair

Archived