Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Niles Paul Fined $20K for Hit on Pettis

ThePreciating

Helmets always collide. he made an effort to turn his head, and lower his body, and he's going a hundred miles per hour. That was the result. That was exactly what the coaches ask you to do, from the kick, to the coverage, to the timing, to the hit. I'ts ****ing ridiculous.

Fines imply you blatantly broke the rules and don't care 'james harrison, dunta robsinson'. This kid made an excellent special teams play, ****ing stupid.

I mean really, do you think Niles WANTS to smack heads with someone while running that fast? He's in just as much danger. This suggests that in the future, he is to slow down, lower his body, turn his head, and then hit. That's so stupid and WEAK.

Ugh this one really bothers me. Buck up, and stop ****ing out NFL.

God damnit.

You know, these rules, along with a lot of late hit on the QB rules, are crazy. They imply that players have some superhuman ability to shift and move and contort their bodies in very specific ways...all while running as fast as they possibly can. Let's say Pettis ducks two inches down and to the right, then they just hit shoulderpads and the ball is loose. "GREAT special teams play by Niles Paul" all the sudden. And all of that would have happened in less than half of a second. Are these guys superheroes? Can they slow down time? Did Niles Paul come from the ****ing Matrix?

It's INSANE to punish players for the ****ing laws of physics. I watched the play a lot, and I really don't see any other way of hitting Pettis so effectively without slowing down, hesitating, POSSIBLY GIVING UP A PUNT RETURN TD IF YOU MISS BTW. he shouldn't have to slow down. He went just the right speed and got their at just the right time. I understand on the field, in the heat of the moment, .. but you're seriously, after looking it over for days, going to take twenty thousand slugs from this kid? Suh gets fined so he'll stop BLATANTLY chokeslamming quarterbacks to the ground. Dunta gets fined so he'll stop spearing people in the head with the top of his head. He leaves his feet and aims his head for chrissakes. And james harrison plain comes and basically says **** the NFL i'm going to keep hitting how I hit, which is why he's fined. All of them rightfully so.

Paul didn't even leave his feet or jump at the guy, he basically just ran right into him. Speaking of 'football moves' Niles didn't even make one. He just ran right into him. The only move he made was to TRY to move his head aside SPECIFICALLY so their helmets wouldn't collide. For their safety and to obey the rules. Maybe they hit a little too much and there's a flag for it, sure, but for real? $20,000? As if he's some sort of big troublemaker bad guy along with the guys mentioned above? Is Niles Paul on the NFL **** list now? What the ****?

stupid rule, stupid penalty, stupid fine.. stupid fair catch non call.

i mean seriously, what is the perfect play here? just what exactly is niles paul supposed to do? slow down and perform a calculated wrap tackle, and thus allow an advantage to the returner, who is attempting to advance the ball?

i was taught that the best way to prevent injury is to hit with your helmet up, shoulders square on target, wrap, and drive throught the hit. even with the perfect hit, there is going to be some helmet to helmet contact when you are moving so fast. its really unavoidable.. which is why the returner should be allowed a means to protect himself...

---------- Post added October-6th-2011 at 10:42 PM ----------

Homers. Homers. Homers.

If you don't see this as a fine, shame on you.

I loved the hit, I loved the Hines Ward physical presence in Paul.

But this was a fine. It was a VERY dangerous hit for both players.

no. its dangerous because pettis was stupid and didnt call a fair catch. its dangerous because players are going to start lowering their heads and twisting them sideways to avoid contact with the opponents helmet.

id be saying the same thing if the exact scenario happened to brandon banks. and id expect a penalty, but id still think the rule was stupid. this prolly wont happen anyways cuz banks realizes he weighs 160 lbs and will call the fair catch.

---------- Post added October-6th-2011 at 10:48 PM ----------

it doesn't matter. It's a punt return.

He has the option of fair catching the ball. he doesn't have to make a football move,, he's waiting on the punt. As soon as it touches him he is fair game unless he throws his hand up in the air and signals for the fair catch. Those are the rules. He is not classified as a receiver, so he casn't be a defenseless one, and the rules are clear.. he must touch the ball, and as soon as he does, he can be hit.

the helmet to helmet contact was completely incidental, it only was called because the ref first made up a rule that calls a punt returner a 'defenseless receiver" which is utter and complete horse****.. and then tacked on the helmet to helmet because he's a pansy who doesn't know the rules.

Those were two terrible calls.. Awful.

Paul got fined because anyone who hits someone gets fined these days, but there's no way in hell he should ever change a single thing about the play he made. It was textbook.

Textbook.

~Bang

agree 100%. now how do you approach this if you are danny smith? do you tell your players to keep on doing the same thing, or risk slowing down, missing the tackle, and allowing the returner to advance?

agree 100%. now how do you approach this if you are danny smith? do you tell your players to keep on doing the same thing, or risk slowing down, missing the tackle, and allowing the returner to advance?

If i'm Danny Smith, I committed suicide last year.. so I can't answer.

BUt hypothetically, if it's me, I tell them to do the exact same thing again. It is a PERFECT special teams hit. Perfectly timed, perfectly executed. (Paul's shoulder hit first.. his head just followed the laws of physics.) Even Pettis knew it.. tweeted several times yesterday that he was sorry for causing the fine by not calling the fair catch.

I tell them to see what they hit, just like always. I tell them to not let up speed, to try and time it with the ball. And i tell them to TRY to get their head out of the way, but to not lower it.

I can't pay his fine for him because it would violate the rules... BUT, I'd tell him to set aside some fine money because he made a perfect hit, and that is punishable in this league anymore.

Unfortunately, yesterday I looked up the rule, and this year the PR was designated a receiver, and can be called "defenseless."

Ridiculous.

~Bang

Sorry, there was helmet to helmet, even though it is slight. They're cracking down on stuff like that, why risk your team getting penalized and a possible fine for doing that?

If the receiver's reaction to the ball led him slightly down, we would prob be reading how he's being fed through a tube.

If anything, being he was right there when the guy caught the ball, if the receiver doesn't call for a fair catch, give an uppercut to the actual ball itself, screw the person catching it; getting the ball back is the primary goal, right?

I agree that there was helmet to helmet contact but it wasn't blatant. I didn't have a huge problem with him getting a penalty and I understand getting fined but $20K for a first time offender for a hit that obviously wasn't intended as dirty seems excessive.

So Niles Paul cannot hit the guy in the head at all, bottom line. To do that, he has to lower his own head and risk a neck injury.

The league can police itself. Guys like Pettis will be out of the league sooner than later.

How did Mike Nelms survive all those years yeesh. He never took hits like that. Sav may be setting up their returners.

While I think it's a fine line between being too cautious and allowing a player to get injured, it does seem the offices of the NFL have forgotten

1) This a violent sport

2) With fines like these it would appear that the ones giving out the fines have never played football

3) They have some type of thrill taking the fun out of good hits

4) Seems to me Pettis should have been fined for being so stupid not to call for a fair catch in those situations.

I hope the team put together a fund to help him pay this fine.

So Niles Paul cannot hit the guy in the head at all, bottom line. To do that, he has to lower his own head and risk a neck injury.

The league can police itself. Guys like Pettis will be out of the league sooner than later.

How did Mike Nelms survive all those years yeesh. He never took hits like that. Sav may be setting up their returners.

Needs to go shoulder to chest...

Needs to go shoulder to chest...

If the return man adjusts for the ball at the last moment, and moves right or left a mere foot, a guy like Paul has his head down yet, aren't they taught to always tackle with their head up to protect the neck? Also, head down, how is he to see when an adjustment is being made on the ball, and, how can he know when the ball is about to be caught?

PR Coverage guys watch the player and his arms playing the ball, to know when to make the hit.

I think the league obstensibly wants to eliminate punt returns. Punts are a net 35, and need not even occur. They will be deemed too dangerous.

Helmets always collide.

I'm going to cut you off here simply to agree. Anyone who has ever donned a helmet can tell you that they are huge and unwieldy, and accidental contact between helmets is often completely unavoidable. To me, I didn't appear that he dropped the crown or aim his visor-line; it was off to the side. However, the NFL wants to err on the side of caution, I suppose.

I think the most important thing we can gather from this is that you should never fair catch the ball. If they are right on top of you, take the hit and get 15 yards. Or else catch and try for a return.

Yes, its dangerous, but for $1 mill. a game I'm sure they can get 16 of us idiots to stand out there and get laid out instead of fair catching it.

take the hit and get 15 yards.

And in this case, the penalty was from the spot of the recovered fumble.

He was hit at the 10, fumbled back to the 3, then they tagged the 15 on from the 3 out to the 18 yard line.

Seems odd to me that a penalty is given for an illegal hit, yet the fumble still counts in this instance.

And in this case' date=' the penalty was from the spot of the recovered fumble.

He was hit at the 10, fumbled back to the 3, then they tagged the 15 on from the 3 out to the 18 yard line.

Seems odd to me that a penalty is given for an illegal hit, yet the fumble still counts in this instance.[/quote']

He still netted 8 yards. Unless he fumbles the ball more than 15 yards backwards, they still gain.

He still netted 8 yards. Unless he fumbles the ball more than 15 yards backwards' date=' they still gain.[/quote']

Yeah, I suppose. But, I'd still think the penalty should be enforced from the spot of the foul in that case ( as the ball was fumbled back ) due to the fact that foul caused the fumble. Why should they lose 7 yards if its deemed a 15 yard penalty.

Sooner or later a player is going to challenge one of these fines in court, you can't just take money from a man on a whim, essentially what they are doing often times is fining players for the viciousness of the hit, rather than the legality of the hit, 20,000 and I didn't lead with the crown of my helmit? See you in court!

Sooner or later a player is going to challenge one of these fines in court' date=' you can't just take money from a man on a whim, essentially what they are doing often times is fining players for the viciousness of the hit, rather than the legality of the hit, 20,000 and I didn't lead with the crown of my helmit? See you in court![/quote']

Chances are the fine system explanation is built into their contract or union agreement.

Rodney Harrison would have done it.

~Bang

Archived