Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Various power rankings and the Skins' place on them -- WEEK 6 UPDATE

Instead of having different threads for different power rankings, thought we should do what we used to do and have them all on a single thread...

And with that:

SBNation.com

9. Washington Redskins (3-1, LW: 11): This is a pretty quiet 3-1 team but they'll get some attention this week as they face the 1-4 Eagles and try to deliver a possible knockout punch to Philly.

ESPN.com

10. Redskins

OK, Rex Grossman. We're watching you. The division is yours for the taking. What have you got? (Fox)

foxsports.com

10. Redskins

Coming off a bye week, the Redskins have a chance to put a stake in the heart of the Eagles and keep themselves atop the NFC East. The Eagles will test the newfound strength of the Redskins defense, but the 'Skins likely will find success in the running game against a struggling Philly defense.

Pete Prisco/CBSSports

8. Redskins

They come off the bye looking down at the rest of the NFC East. Who would have imagined that?

Pro Football Weekly

8. Washington Redskins:

Get more respect as class of NFC East, even after a bye.

Peter King/SI.com

8. Washington (3-1).

On their bye Sunday, the Redskins had a very good day. They watched the Giants (3-2) and Eagles (1-4) lose, and they're alone in first in the NFC East.

realgm.com

(not available yet)

sportsnetwork.com

12. DALLAS COWBOYS (Up 2 spots)

Big one in New England on Sunday. Which Cowboys will show up?

15. WASHINGTON REDSKINS

Redskins defense has been maybe the most improved unit of this season.

21. NEW YORK GIANTS (Down 4 spots)

Giants' three wins are against teams currently a combined 2-12.

22. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (Down 2 spots)

Plenty of blame to go around for expected contender's brutal start.

Sporting News

(not updated yet)

Mike Florio/NBC Sports

12. Redskins (No. 17; 3-1): A year after Mike Vick’s night to remember at FedEx Field, he’s returning with a won-loss record to forget.

I can deal with sporting news putting us at 17 if I have to, and sportsnetwork lumping the nfce together in a pack of 7 spots and were not even leading the pack, oh well, were leading the division so whatever, but that punk ass ***** mike florio can kiss my ass. Obviously his football knowledge, or lack thereof, firmly entranches him as the fearless leader of the other dumb ****s that ****ed about this past weeks win over the rams simply because it wasn't glamorous enough. **** him!

agree with florio being a moron. but not for this ranking, hes a moron for ranking the skins 31st before the season.

hitman, no way cowherd has dallas at 4! got a link?

and that 'objective' formula that ranks the bengals at 5 looks a little dicey, but i admire the effort.

hitman, no way cowherd has dallas at 4! got a link?

http://insider.espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7059028

Go to about 26 minutes into it.

Rundown for those who can't get to it:

Dallas has elite playmakers on both sides of the ball. They have better playmakers than anyone else in the NFCE. They're 6th in total offense, 4th in yards given up, and 3rd in sacks.

Mike Florio can kiss the blackest part of my ass...

So the 7 sacks and the forced fumbles meant nothing then?

Okay then.

Florio has a point though. Most of us on ES would tend to agree with him regarding the "ugliness" of the win against, in many peoples minds, the worst team in the NFL.

The Trench Counter formula, which the below rankings are solely based upon, creates a completely objective examination. The formula accounts for yards per carry, yards per pass, first downs, turnovers and penalties. It attempts to identify which team controls the line of scrimmage, controls the trenches.

The true intention of this type of ranking system is to identify teams that may be over or underrated.

1. Baltimore Ravens: 12.6

2. Green Bay Packers: 8.8

3. San Diego Chargers: 6.9

4. Detroit Lions: 6.5

5. Cincinnati Bengals: 5.8

6. Buffalo Bills: 5.1

7. New York Giants: 4.5

8. New England Patriots: 4.4

9. Washington Redskins: 4.2

10. Houston Texans: 3.2

this is the one i like. mainly because my preseason prediction was that the ravens would go to the superbowl. and we outplayed them in preseason.

My personal favorite:

15. WASHINGTON REDSKINS

At some point, Rex Grossman's erratic play will come back to haunt them.

17. NEW YORK GIANTS

A little fortunate so far, but no team should apologize for being 3-1.

Apparently it is the 4th of September rule, "No team should apologize, sept for the Washington Redskins..."

Mike Florio/NBC Sports

17. Redskins (No. 18; 3-1): Don’t complain, Redskins fans, about going up only one spot. Beating the Rams by only seven could be regarded as a reason to fall five.

Oh, okay Florio - if you're going to put the Giants at #9 then there's not logic to Skins at 17. One or the other should be moved up or down.

Florio has a point though. Most of us on ES would tend to agree with him regarding the "ugliness" of the win against, in many peoples minds, the worst team in the NFL.

I wouldn't say most. At the moment there are 73,112 members on ES, how many posters agreed with the premise that win wasn't good enough? I'll be generous and say 100. I certainly wouldn't consider that as "most of us".

Archived