Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dominating Games But Not Scoring Points = A Good Sign

kleese

Those facts are biased.

What facts would that be? The fact that despite total domination we're incapable of scoring points? Because that's fairly accurate. I don't know that Beck would change that, though. Grossman isn't what you think he is, ASF. But he's sure as hell not what a lot of his "haters" believe him to be, either.

the thing to remember is that if one were to look at the stat lines for either of our wins against the Cardinals or the Rams, NO WAY would you say the wins were eeked out. You'd guess we won by a total of 4 TD's.

true that ... which now makes realize that our inability to score TD's in the redzone is a huge issue. not sure how many times we blew it yesterday in that area, don't think it was a lot.

What facts would that be? The fact that despite total domination we're incapable of scoring points? Because that's fairly accurate. I don't know that Beck would change that, though. Grossman isn't what you think he is, ASF. But he's sure as hell not what a lot of his "haters" believe him to be, either.

How many QBs in the NFL are doing markedly better, with no 3rd WR and whose top 2 WRs caught a total of 13 TDs in their last 32 starts (64 starts total) prior to this year?

I like Moss and I like Gaffney, really I do. But they are being totally shut down without Armstrong to stretch the field, and the Redskins lack the "playmaking" capability at WR to catch TDs in traffic. This is historically proven without doubt. So, who is Grossman supposed to be throwing all these TDs to? There's no Megatron on the roster. No Dez Bryant. No Miles Austin. No Nicks. No Jennings. No Andre Johnson. No Fitzgerald. No Steve Johnson. At TE Davis shows flashes, but he's no Grontkowski or Gates in the red zone.

You should be asking yourself why Grossman looked better against the Giants and Cards than against the Cowboys and the Rams. There's a rational explanation that goes beyond "rexgression" and "bad Rex." The Redskins need Armstrong on the field and Cooley off the field, IMO.

Those facts are biased.

Dude, the only thing Grossman is dominating is his Depends as he craps his way through one suckfest after another. We need to start Beck or this season is over.

...Wait. Wait wait wait wait wait.

...Weren't you the guy who dedicated ENTIRE THREADS to how Mike Shanahan was just using John Beck as a clever ploy to gain an advantage over the Giants in week 1, and that Rex Grossman had all the tools to become an elite quarterback, and how Beck was Captain Checkdown and how Rex had the skillset and ability to be a franchise quarterback for years to come, and you debated passionately that Beck was the wrong guy for the job with charts and pictures and statistics and numerical formulas...

...And now four games into the season, after the guy that you personally championed to be the starting quarterback while insulting Beck's preseason performance and all around ability at every turn won the job, and had a couple bad games...NOW you want to start Captain Checkdown? Because if we don't start the guy you felt wasn't fit to start a month ago, the season is lost?

Wow. What a difference four games makes. I'd admire you though. It takes balls of steel to be that big a hypocrite and not even bat an eyelash.

I'm incredibly disappointed that we can't score with two very talented tight ends to choose from in red zone situations. It's pretty embarrassing, in fact.

Dammit, Rex.

Not only has Cooley NOT really been playing his traditional TE role, with Young out, he's also noticeably slower. He's not the weapon he usually is right now, and he's not even playing his position.

And since Davis is our only real RZ option outside of Cooley, he's being locked down near the endzone. Not really hard to understand what's happening, actually.

How many QBs in the NFL are doing markedly better, with no 3rd WR and whose top 2 WRs caught a total of 13 TDs in their last 32 starts (64 starts total) prior to this year?

I like Moss and I like Gaffney, really I do. But they are being totally shut down without Armstrong to stretch the field, and the Redskins lack the "playmaking" capability at WR to catch TDs in traffic. This is historically proven without doubt. So, who is Grossman supposed to be throwing all these TDs to? There's no Megatron on the roster. No Dez Bryant. No Miles Austin. No Nicks. No Jennings. No Andre Johnson. No Fitzgerald. No Steve Johnson. At TE Davis shows flashes, but he's no Grontkowski or Gates in the red zone.

You should be asking yourself why Grossman looked better against the Giants and Cards than against the Cowboys and the Rams. There's a rational explanation that goes beyond "rexgression" and "bad Rex." The Redskins need Armstrong on the field and Cooley off the field, IMO.

This is a good point, right now what we're missing is a receiver that can constantly get open. Brady knows every third down to look for Welker. Romo sits to pee has witten, Stafford has megatron, and Grossman has, umm, Jabar Gaffney and Fred DAvis

I think Tim Ryan, who I seem to be the only fan in the world that actually likes him, made a good point during the broadcast about the tape from the Dallas game, and how nobody was able to get open. He was very complimentary of Rex.

Now, the one complaint I do have with Rex is that he has not shown he can get the ball to Armstrong when he is on the field. In his last 5 starts with Armstrong I cannot count the number of times Armstrong had to stop and wait on the ball.

Also, he's fat and out of shape. Inexcusable, imo. My only hope is that the Shanny's sweat it out of him by week 10.

Re: NFL.com: Austin, Bryant better than Megatron? Cowboys' Ryan says yes

Before anyone reads this can you please make a new thread of this for me because for some reason I can't post new threads and entitle it : I GIVE UP

I give up.

I have been a cowboys fan since i was 5 years old. I have tried so many times to stick it out with Romo sits to pee

Well Mr Clutch, Mr Meltdown, etc... does it again. As soon as he threw that first pick for six I started to get the old feeling back -- you know the one --where Tony blows the game. Of course it's a team sport so he had a lot of help. Like the offensive coordinator and head coach Jason Garrett. Why with 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter (with a 24 point lead) do you call sideline pass plays and why would Tony ever think he is good enough to pass into double coverage? They already had a fairly decent running game established. They should have just ran the ball down Detroits throat until they figured out a way to stop them. But no, Garrett lets good old Tony start slinging the ball around and those two pick six's brought life back into Detroit. I realize that we don't have any better options at this time than Tony but with luck someone in the Cowboys organization will start thinking about drafting a Quarterback. Romo sits to pee isn't a starting Quarterback but he would make an OK backup or third string Quarterback. Jerry Jones, it's time to start thinking about the team and not Romo sits to pee's feelings...

Im so sick of Jerry Jones defending him and Jason Garrett saying " We beleive in Tony this team beleieves in Tony" JUST STOP im DONE.

Atleast when the Eagles lost yesterday this is what Andy Reid said:

"It was terrible coaching and we played bad, it was a terrible coaching performance"

Mike Vick went on to say "It's something I need to do better I take the blame"

Romo sits to pee can't even say "I'm sorry to the fan's Im sorry for blowing this... not once.. unreal. Im DONE.

I CANT WATCH A TEAM WITH A DELUSIONAL OWNER ANYMORE.. HE IS WORSE THAN AL DAVIS

“There’s no issue about faith in Romo sits to pee in any place in this organization, period. Any place. There’s no issue regarding Tony,” Jones said. “I had all the confidence in the world on the last drive that he gives us the best chance to go down and score a touchdown. Didn’t get it done, but we have a lot of faith in Romo sits to pee.”

"As Romo sits to pee goes We go"

Well guess what? Not me.

Redskins fans can complain all they want about 5-11 season or 6-10 season the past 6 years...

Well guess what having a mediocore team and not having 1 playoff win and boched snaps in Seattle and the chokes by Romo sits to pee vs philadelphia to get in the playoffs couple years ago.. Seattle.. Minnesota... IS 10 TIMES WORSE... gives us ****ty draft picks and rips your heart out.

I'm done I'm following the Redskins now... I can't take it anymore... Just out of spite to Jerry and Tony, its going to be so hard to quit on the team I have loved for 20 years but I just can't take it.... as much as I hate doing this...

I GIVE UP The Redskins FANS are 100% right YOU WIN I GIVE UP

I have already thrown out all of my cowboys gear.. 1000's of dollars worth of stuff after the press conferences last night...

I speak on behalf of most cowboys fans... but I'm willing to give in and give in to the redskins.

Not only has Cooley NOT really been playing his traditional TE role, with Young out, he's also noticeably slower. He's not the weapon he usually is right now, and he's not even playing his position.

And since Davis is our only real RZ option outside of Cooley, he's being locked down near the endzone. Not really hard to understand what's happening, actually.

This is true. I think it's just something I want to block out.

I still think that a team with a very, very strong rushing game like ours should at least be dangerous in play action.

...Wait. Wait wait wait wait wait.

...Weren't you the guy who dedicated ENTIRE THREADS to how Mike Shanahan was just using John Beck as a clever ploy to gain an advantage over the Giants in week 1, and that Rex Grossman had all the tools to become an elite quarterback, and how Beck was Captain Checkdown and how Rex had the skillset and ability to be a franchise quarterback for years to come, and you debated passionately that Beck was the wrong guy for the job with charts and pictures and statistics and numerical formulas...

...And now four games into the season, after the guy that you personally championed to be the starting quarterback while insulting Beck's preseason performance and all around ability at every turn won the job, and had a couple bad games...NOW you want to start Captain Checkdown? Because if we don't start the guy you felt wasn't fit to start a month ago, the season is lost?

Wow. What a difference four games makes. I'd admire you though. It takes balls of steel to be that big a hypocrite and not even bat an eyelash.

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao: Wait Wait Wait Wait Wait Wait :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

I'm incredibly disappointed that we can't score with two very talented tight ends to choose from in red zone situations. It's pretty embarrassing, in fact.

Dammit, Rex.

chris and fred while are super talented and have good hands, route runnnig, and for sure speed (cooley has looked slow as hell recenlty), they are not "box out" tight ends like jimmy graham or *gulp, jason witten.

they are more horizontally dangerous ...

not ideal in the redzone if you ask me.

Now, the one complaint I do have with Rex is that he has not shown he can get the ball to Armstrong when he is on the field. In his last 5 starts with Armstrong I cannot count the number of times Armstrong had to stop and wait on the ball.

Also, he's fat and out of shape. Inexcusable, imo. My only hope is that the Shanny's sweat it out of him by week 10.

These are fair complaints, IMO.

I think Grossman is a whole lot better than his critics do, but he's got to have better timing on deep passes, especially throwing to Armstrong. I think Armstrong could be a break-out star, like a poor-man's DeSean Jackson, if the Redskins focused on hitting him early and often and in stride. I fault Kyle for not drilling this timing until it's automatic for Grossman.

Also I think this offense has effectively 10 players on the field when Cooley is playing, these days. I love Cooley for all he's done, but he's a massive liability right now when he can't block, can't run and can't cut. I think he's playing through tremendous pain, and that's brave and all, but we saw how that worked out with Brunell. If he can't play at the level required, he shouldn't be playing at all.

And yes, Grossman should work on getting in shape.

This is true. I think it's just something I want to block out.

I still think that a team with a very, very strong rushing game like ours should at least be dangerous in play action.

Can't blame you, man. And I agree with you, but I think not having Armstrong to take the top off a defense has hurt our ability to utilize our OTHER surprise deep-threat: Davis.

Re: NFL.com: Austin, Bryant better than Megatron? Cowboys' Ryan says yes

Before anyone reads this can you please make a new thread of this for me because for some reason I can't post new threads and entitle it : I GIVE UP

I give up.

Allow me to add this to zoony's above comment to you: you have had more then one NNT violation (and looking at your user notes that may be the least of your worries).

And you state you would rather "give up" and also try to circumvent your restriction by posting an article in this thread that you indicate you would start a new thread with if you could, than read, learn, and follow the rules like you agreed to do when you registered.

So I am going to assist you with your dilemma by making sure you're not distracted by having the ability to post opinions for a few days so you can catch up on your obligations and get yourself out of NNT, which is what will happen if you carefully read the rules, comprehend them, and follow what they say. :).

Dammit, Rex.

Again, Cooley is a shell of what he once was. He isn't a very good football player right now, period. He isn't a weapon at all. And while Davis is very good, he isn't a "go to" redzone guy like Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, etc.. You can't just tell Rex to lob it into double coverage and Davis will get it like you can with those other guys.

So I am going to assist you with your dilemma by making sure you're not distracted by having the ability to post opinions for a few days so you can catch up on your obligations and get yourself out of NNT (which is what will happen if you carefully read the rules, comprehend them, and follow what they say. :).

Ok, what's the over/under on days it takes him to do this?

I'm sorry, but if you think this defense is anything like that 2006 bears defense you weren't watching football that year. Our STs aren't on that level either. Banks is good, but he's no Devin Hester.

As frustrating as this team can be I look at it and think that it's a qb upgrade away from being a seriously tough team. Our running game with a very capable qb would be fearsome and the rest our defense would get from being able to control the tempo with our offense would make them dominant. It's not the case yet, but if we can find that qb upgrade look out nfl.

With all due respect, I just don't know how you can guarantee this now. We have no idea where we will draft, who will be available and what our post-season evaluation will show our needs to be.

The OP's point is spot on. We are building around our core and building depth at the core. It may be we could get another top interior lineman or an explosive back or secondary speed and depth.

Believing a QB instantly fixes our problems is the kind of thinking that got us in the mess we are getting out of. Look at the history of first round qbs.

While he is not perfect, I would be happy with a few more seasons with Rex at the helm if we build depth in our core like we have the last two drafts.

HTTR!!!

Getting some help at WR would be more help than getting another, unproven, QB. We've tried the "upgrade" route, and it hasn't worked. Rex is serviceable for a year or two while we get him some targets.

Look what happened to Bradford yesterday - lots of his passes were right on target, but the recievers could not find the handle. What good is a great QB if he has no one to throw to?

I don't think Cooley is a shell of his former self. He has been used a lot different this season. According to his interviews on the Cooley show, he said that during the week there are plenty of plays utilizing him as a pass catcher and it isn't like he isn't putting those plays to use, but once game day comes the coaches simply aren't calling those plays for whatever reason. He isn't mad about it, he said the team is 3-1 so what is there to complain about. He said if the coaches want to utilize him in other spots fine.

Even if you think Cooley might not be the pass catcher he once was, you have to admit he has probably already exceeded expectations in the new hybrid position he is playing. When I saw him lining up as fullback / h-back against Dallas I was scared to death of it being a desperation move, but Cooley did pretty damn well in that spot.

Also, according to game tape, Fred Davis is getting most of the reps when only 1 TE is on the field, this would indicate he is more of a threat right now, but with that said what has he really shown since Week 2? Not sure why he has disappeared in the last two weeks either.

Cooley started the year with an injured knee and is now been lining up at fullback due to other players being injured. I'm thinking Young and Sellars will be ready to go after the bye, which would have Cooley back at TE.

Fred Davis had 2 monster games for the 'Skins, no denying that, but I don't think that it is enough to declare Cooley is a shell of his former self.

Cooley looks shockingly slow, coming back from surgery, and next to Davis this year. So far he's a shadow of his former self.

Cooley has 7 catches for 66 yards, 9.4 average. That puts him on pace for 28 for the year. Last year he caught 77 passes for 11.0 average.

It's probably nostalgia and salary that has him starting over Paulsen right now. Can Cooley get back to the player he was? I don't know. I think he's playing in pain, and is denying this, because he doesn't want to lose his job to Davis. At the moment, I think Cooley may be the weakest player among the top 12 on offense and maybe the weakest among the top 25 starters / rotation on offense & defense.

If Paulsen were starting over Cooley, we might see better blocking at least. Cooley is scaring no one in any facet of the game. That's why he pitched for the FB position. Like Sellers, at this point he's trying to justify his place on the roster.

I realize this sounds harsh, and I mean no disrespect for Cooley's past accomplishments. But if Cooley were honest, he'd probably say he's playing in pain, holding the team back, and looks done unless his knee gets better.

It was Cooley's great block on the corner that allowed Toraine to bust the long run?

If were nitpicking vs. GreenBay or Saints or NE etc. I'll take it.

This regime has yet to invest in the skill positions. They have focused instead on the lines, the pass rush, the secondary, and changing the overall culture. It is a step by step process.
I totally agree. I am excited. I am pleasantly pleased at this point people are talking playoffs. I was happy with anything better than what we were last year, and sign of progress. I was even pleased before the season started, with the mentality of the whole Front Office. Loading up on draft picks. Signing solid, not flashy, blue collar type players in the offseason. I am definitely on board. Even if we do not go to the playoffs, I consider this a great direction of the franchise. Once they do see the QB that they want, I will be excited. I even heard that they covet their franchise QB in this next draft. Imagine...a franchise QB, and adding depth to the Offensive Line and Cornerback?! I am excited.

Nice post Kleese! Even though I disagree with you on Landry Jones! :silly:

Archived