Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dominating Games But Not Scoring Points = A Good Sign

kleese

Let me clarify... Not scorin points is never a "good thing" per se and if I thought this was going to be the longterm effect, I'd be pretty concerned. But from where we are right now, I'd say our offensive production is highly encouraging.

I went through every other team in the NFC and identified their best skill position player... Their most explosive player... Their gamebreaker.

Out of 16 teams, I rank the Redskins 16th in that category. We don't have a QB that consistently threads the needle or scrambles to save busted plays. We don't have a bak that takes a four yard carry and turns it into a 60 yard TD and we don't have a WR that can outjump triple coverage for the score.

It is very hard to score points in the NFL when you don't have one guy on your team that strikes fear into the defense. In order for us to score we need to be nearly flawless. Our backs need holes, our QB needs time, and our WR's need to get open. We can't steal the Lions "Hail Mary in the general direction of Calvin Johnson" play.

This regime has yet to invest in the skill positions. They have focused instead on the lines, the pass rush, the secondary, and changing the overall culture. It is a step by step process.

All this said, we are 3-1. It's an ugly 3-1, but in a way, that makes it even prettier. Because it signals to me that this staff knows what they are doing. They know what they have, and more importantly, what they don't have, and they give us the best chance to win each week.

If you are waiting for this offense to explode, you might as well set your alarm for September 2012 at the earliest. Not much is going to change. We will continue to grind and some weeks it will be good enough and some weeks it won't be. But there is no magic potion that is suddenly going to morph Rex to Gaffney into Rodgers to Jennings.

I really like Kyle's playcalling. Continues to throw so that teams can't sell out against our run game, but generally calls pass plays with more protection.... If Rex can't read a simple LB drop into coverage then we will eventually need to give Beck a shot. But as for the calls, I am good with it.

The Redskins are a smart, tough team. We will play hard each week and we've made a huge leap defensively. Most of our games are going to be close. And not everyone will comply like the Rams did today.

If Vick is hot in two weeks and the Eagles figure out to how improve their D a little, then we will probably lose. But if the Eagles don't bring it full force, I believe our coaches will have us in position to steal a win.

I am thrilled with our start, while understanding full well that we have some major weaknesses that will most likely get exposed later in the year. And I then expect Shanny and company to work on improving those weaknesses next off season.

Very good start to this season... Things feel different

Very good start to this season... Things feel different

And that's the bottom line. The 2006 Chicago Bears made it to the Super Bowl on the back of their dominant defense. And through 4 weeks, the Redskins have just that kind of defense.

A lot of work to be done on the offensive side of the ball, but you gotta be happy with the start considering all the negativity about this team leading up to the preseason.

We just have to keep fighting week in and week out and try to find our way into the playoffs. In this league, all 12 teams in the playoffs have a legitimate shot to win the super bowl.

We need Rex to elevate his play though

He can't. This is who he is. He has played one excellent game, one slightly above average game, one average game, and one poor game. That is pretty much is career MO. I'm OK with that for this year.

He can't. This is who he is. He has played one excellent game, one slightly above average game, one average game, and one poor game. That is pretty much is career MO. I'm OK with that for this year.

Yeah me too, we have no choice but to be okay with it this year. Pretty much confirms 1st round QB taken in April. But until then, we gotta ride this out and see how far we can go

Damn kleese, that's a good post. You go right to core of it, and you're right, but building a foundation was without a doubt absolutely necessary and the precursor to going for those gamebreaking players. IMO the amazing part is just how much progress has already been made in restoring this franchise to respectability, there are already a lot of the pieces in place that will comprise future winning teams. The FO and coaching staff are doing a patient, reasonable job of de-Vinnifying this team, the fans (as hard as it might be) need to show some patience and reasonableness as well.

I agree sort of. Not getting TDs is one thing, but turnovers are another.

The Rams game and the Cardinals games were only close on the scoreboard because of turnovers, but we have have a QB that is known for this in the past, and is starting to show that it isn't something he "got out of his system" as a young gunslinger.

On the flip side, even when you have a good to great defense, you will run into teams that either just match up favorably, or have an offense capable of scoring points even on the best defenses. That is when this team is going to run into trouble because of Rex's turnovers.

The dominating of the stats book is encouraging, I will concede that point, but the EQUALIZER to dominating the stat book is turning the ball over, especially in the red zone. Right now we have let two pretty mediocre teams comes within one possession of either tying or winning the game, and the ONLY REASON was because of Grossman's turnovers. Othewise those teams barely sniff the scoreboard, period.

So by all accounts he's due for an excellent game just in the time for the eagles? :ols:

Good original post and I couldn't agree more. The foundation is being built which every body can see is happening along the lines. We haven't invested in dynamic playmakers on the offensive side of the ball and once we do, which I believe will happen in April 2012 we will be looking really bright.

Yeah me too, we have no choice but to be okay with it this year. Pretty much confirms 1st round QB taken in April. But until then, we gotta ride this out and see how far we can go

Not so sure about that. Let's say we draft 18th.... I wouldn't take a QB there just cuz. It's a deep QB draft and I'm cool with taking a guy there if we love him, but would be totally content to wait till later in the draft as well. For example, I believe Andy Dalton is going to be better than Ponder, Locker, etc.. AND they got AJ Green to go with him because they waited.

We could also potentially look to deal for a current back-up like Matt Flynn or someone like that who has shown flashes ala Hasslebeck and Brunell back in the day. We Definitley need to make QB a priority next year, but not necessarily a first round priority.

Not so sure about that. Let's say we draft 18th.... I wouldn't take a QB there just cuz. It's a deep QB draft and I'm cool with taking a guy there if we love him, but would be totally content to wait till later in the draft as well. For example, I believe Andy Dalton is going to be better than Ponder, Locker, etc.. AND they got AJ Green to go with him because they waited.

We could also potentially look to deal for a current back-up like Matt Flynn or someone like that who has shown flashes ala Hasslebeck and Brunell back in the day. We Definitley need to make QB a priority next year, but not necessarily a first round priority.

Nah you almost certainly have to take a QB in the first round, and its pretty much guaranteed that we will.

NoCal---In his defense the first pick was on Moss and if Santana catches that ball in his gut, we go up 20-0 at the worst and the Rams may not have scored at all.... The second pick was jus Rex being Rex which is something we will have to live with until we decide Beck deserves a shot.

Pretty much confirms 1st round QB taken in April.

If the 'Skins go 9-7 and Rex throws for 3,500 yds 20 TD and 15 INT, you can bet they won't be drafting a QB early in the draft. My early guess is the offense picks it up a bit. Sure Rex makes some boneheaded errors, but the OL has improved so dramatically, he's gonna have more positive plays than negatives.

I think Fletcher's replacement is gonna be targeted in the first round.

So far, we have been the least incompetent team in the NFC East.

I think we need to seriously consider re-evaluating the starting QB position though. Rex does not value the ball nearly enough. He does not make smart decisions when a play is just not there. Instead he too often tries to force something and that leads to disaster. This will cost us our season at some point down the road. Mark my words.

NoCal---In his defense the first pick was on Moss and if Santana catches that ball in his gut, we go up 20-0 at the worst and the Rams may not have scored at all.... The second pick was jus Rex being Rex which is something we will have to live with until we decide Beck deserves a shot.

Moss' dropped changed the whole game. Definitely field position. Who knows if Rex is even in position to throw the 2nd INT if we go up 20-0 and the Rams start the next drive at their own 20

If the 'Skins go 9-7 and Rex throws for 3,500 yds 20 TD and 15 INT, you can bet they won't be drafting a QB early in the draft. My early guess is the offense picks it up a bit. Sure Rex makes some boneheaded errors, but the OL has improved so dramatically, he's gonna have more positive plays than negatives.

I think Fletcher's replacement is gonna be targeted in the first round.

So you think Rex is the future of the Redskins? Of course we will be drafting a QB, i thought this was pretty much a given, cant believe two people in this thread are questioning that lol. We WILL draft a QB in the first round.

So you think Rex is the future of the Redskins? Of course we will be drafting a QB, i thought this was pretty much a given, cant believe two people in this thread are questioning that lol. We WILL draft a QB in the first round.

Yeah we're going to be drafting a QB. Cardinals, Vikings, Rams, Cheifs, and Panthers could end up with a top 10 picks and all have a QB of the future. Perfect trade partners if we end up in the mid to high teens or that means QBs will drop.

I think the Redskins could in fact get one from the Eagles due to last season. This is pretty much the same team that got ****ing straight up embarrassed on monday night football last year. I don't know how much that factors into their play but it should. The coaching staff was embarrassed too so maybe they have an axe to grind. That game could have been 80-28. It was a pitiful effort from the opening kickoff.

Rex is 30, correct? I would guess we draft a QB in 2012 regardless of the season Grossman has, unless there is absolutely nothing of value to be drafted by the time we pick and/or we can't get a deal made to move up some spots.

Even if Grossman has a decent year, he isn't a youngster by any means, and he isn't the type of QB who you give the "benefit of the doubt" like a lot of people tried to give McNabb last season. Beck is also I believe 30, so even if somehow Beck came in and lit it up, the window with either of these QBs is not huge and with either option it would be ideal to have a young QB waiting in the wings and learning this offense so by the time they HAVE to start, they are a little bit prepared.

With all due respect, I just don't know how you can guarantee this now. We have no idea where we will draft, who will be available and what our post-season evaluation will show our needs to be.

The OP's point is spot on. We are building around our core and building depth at the core. It may be we could get another top interior lineman or an explosive back or secondary speed and depth.

Believing a QB instantly fixes our problems is the kind of thinking that got us in the mess we are getting out of. Look at the history of first round qbs.

While he is not perfect, I would be happy with a few more seasons with Rex at the helm if we build depth in our core like we have the last two drafts.

HTTR!!!

The 2006 Chicago Bears made it to the Super Bowl on the back of their dominant defense. And through 4 weeks, the Redskins have just that kind of defense.

I'm sorry, but if you think this defense is anything like that 2006 bears defense you weren't watching football that year. Our STs aren't on that level either. Banks is good, but he's no Devin Hester.

As frustrating as this team can be I look at it and think that it's a qb upgrade away from being a seriously tough team. Our running game with a very capable qb would be fearsome and the rest our defense would get from being able to control the tempo with our offense would make them dominant. It's not the case yet, but if we can find that qb upgrade look out nfl.

With all due respect, I just don't know how you can guarantee this now. We have no idea where we will draft, who will be available and what our post-season evaluation will show our needs to be.

The OP's point is spot on. We are building around our core and building depth at the core. It may be we could get another top interior lineman or an explosive back or secondary speed and depth.

Believing a QB instantly fixes our problems is the kind of thinking that got us in the mess we are getting out of. Look at the history of first round qbs.

While he is not perfect, I would be happy with a few more seasons with Rex at the helm if we build depth in our core like we have the last two drafts.

HTTR!!!

No, believing in high priced, aging veteran players is what got us in the mess we are in now. You talk about building a core, yes, we are in the process of doing that, and with a great QB class next year, we would be dumb not to draft a QB.

You live in VA right? You want to bet me $1000 that we draft a qb in the first round? You get every other position, i get QB. It is pretty much a lock we are drafting a QB. No one saying it will instantly fix our problems, it is just another phase of the rebuild, we need to get younger, faster and better at a lot of positions, and this includes QB.

Trying to bet lol

I agree totally with this post. I was saying the same thing about our offensive personnel earlier. We just dont have that gamebreaker yet, especially in the passing game. I think Helu will eventually break some long runs for TD. We need to just continue to progress and pick up Ws along the way.

Archived