Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dominating Games But Not Scoring Points = A Good Sign

kleese

I think you got spoiled from Bradford. Jones have NFL talent that Mike and Kyle can exploit. But just me when I look at his Cutup on youtube I see a Elite QB prospect. Yes he makes iffy decision but he is very talented QB.

Doesn't move well in the pocket at all and doesn't fare well with a rush in his face... Something he rarely deals with in college. As noted, decision making is also iffy. And one big red flag might be committment to the game. He wants to be a preacher and has hinted that playing in the pros isn't exactly his passion. He is a really good guy an he has a monster arm, but I'd stay away.

I realize the premise of your thread wasn't necessarily this, but, I'm going to ask anyways...

How do you rank the Redskins 16th in playmakers?

---------- Post added October-3rd-2011 at 08:59 AM ----------

He is a senior, and he will enter the draft this year. I think one of the reasons he returned for his senior season was because of the looming lockout.

No. He's a redshirt junior football wise, he's a senior academically. He's graduated, though. Trust me. I've followed Luck for a few years now. He has another year of eligibility.

As far as QB prospects go, Nick Foles could be a developmental guy. I also like Kellen Moore in that role, though he has to hit the weight room. Ryan Lindley wouldn't be a bad option. But otuside of Griffin/Luck, I'm not sold on any "first round" prospect.

I think Landry Jones is severely overrated. And OU quarterbacks generally don't pan out, though I do like Bradford.

Doesn't move well in the pocket at all and doesn't fare well with a rush in his face... Something he rarely deals with in college. As noted, decision making is also iffy. And one big red flag might be committment to the game. He wants to be a preacher and has hinted that playing in the pros isn't exactly his passion. He is a really good guy an he has a monster arm, but I'd stay away.

I think he's not use to being pressure but can all be fixed. Yea he is not good with pressured in his face but Brady isn't either. Im not comparing the two but I think he has tools that Mike and Kyle can use to get this team where we want it to be. When it comes to God what do you want him to say? His belief is that God comes first so maybe in the a sentence he probably was inferring to teaching the word of God is more important than Football. That doesn't mean that he won't take football serious when he plays.

Wow, its amazing how we think a like. :ols:

Im sitting home last night watching the Ravens game. They get inside the 10 yard line and right away i start thinking Rice TD. Then i started thinking how many other teams i could do that with...like Vikes and Peterson, Lions with Johnson, Packers any of their WR's. It hit me that we have no one that when we get into the redzone i can think of to score a TD. I was thinking Davis might be the guy but thats not really working. IMO, we still need help on the line a QB and a playmaking WR.

dominating games but not scoring points = good defense bad offense. the only good i can see is that our defense is absolutely killing it. it seems like our offense is getting worse. better on 3rd downs but we're always in 3rd and long. we need a QB who can get the ball to his WR quickly. all of grossmans balls seem to float and take forever. campbell and mcnabb had velocity, no accuracy. grossman has accuracy, no velocity.

i agree with the OP.

but why are you all so dead set on the only way of getting a qb being drafting him in the start of the first round? i'd be much happier if we spent picks on players they know can contribute - people like trent williams, ryan kerrigan, and brian orakpo.

don't sell the farm (which i finally have confidence they wont), and see what's available when it's your turn. take the guy that you feel has the biggest percentage chance of being a major contributor - regardless of position. this team isn't good enough to look at a player and say 'we don't need that position'. if a QB we want, that looks better than the other options at the time, falls to us then lets take him; regardless of round. just keep doing what they're doing.

this team is more than a QB away from being a competitor for years to come. we need a wr, probably an addition to the secondary, some better offensive linemen, and some more linebackers. we need depth as every position as well too.

You really see us building the lines kleese? Our OL is still pretty ... uh ... not great.

I agree that we are finding ways to win without much talent on offense, and that's nice. I think it's because our defense is just flat-out nasty. I don't think it has a lot to do with our offense, which is pretty much that same offense it's been for a decade. Average-ish with a ton of journeymen, especially on the line. I do like seeing SOME youth on offense. Helu, Davis ... and drafting Hankerson was at least the right idea ...

Last year we picked up a ton of Old Guys and wasted the entire season offensively. I hope we have a plan now. I think we do. We desperately need to draft some offensive linemen soon. Like Yesterday. And (as everyone else has said) a QB. Until then, I don't see the other skill positions making much of a difference. That's what I think anyway.

Wow, its amazing how we think a like. :ols:

Im sitting home last night watching the Ravens game. They get inside the 10 yard line and right away i start thinking Rice TD. Then i started thinking how many other teams i could do that with...like Vikes and Peterson, Lions with Johnson, Packers any of their WR's. It hit me that we have no one that when we get into the redzone i can think of to score a TD. I was thinking Davis might be the guy but thats not really working. IMO, we still need help on the line a QB and a playmaking WR.

I expected Davis to be our Red Zone target too. But I got to thinking and perhaps Hankerson will end up being a viable option later in the season. Right now, he still needs to learn to play at the NFL level.

Everyone remember, we are still building this team and all the pieces are not yet in place. The defense is playing very well and the offense has yet to find real consistency. The O-Line is still a work in progress and should improve when all five are familiar with their roles and gain confidence in the zone blocking system as it relates to the guys next to them.

For now, I am enjoying the ride.

I'd put our running trio against any.

I'd put it against most. Houston has an outstanding trio (Foster, Tate, Ward) . As does Oakland (McFadden, Bush, Jones®). But I certainly agree we have a really good trio.

I'd put our receiving octuplets against any.

Green Bay probably has better total depth. And they also have a better top end of the depth. We have Moss as our only bonafide stud in the group. The rest are a bunch of great complimentary pieces, but not quite top end talent. New England has pretty good depth as well. I can't agree with this, as we have a bunch of 3-5 talent, and very little in the 1-2 talent department other than Moss.

I'd put our TE duo against any.

I'd extend this to trio. And New England is probably better here. Although, again, I'd say we're right there.

You really see us building the lines kleese? Our OL is still pretty ... uh ... not great.

I agree that we are finding ways to win without much talent on offense, and that's nice. I think it's because our defense is just flat-out nasty. I don't think it has a lot to do with our offense, which is pretty much that same offense it's been for a decade. Average-ish with a ton of journeymen, especially on the line. I do like seeing SOME youth on offense. Helu, Davis ... and drafting Hankerson was at least the right idea ...

Last year we picked up a ton of Old Guys and wasted the entire season offensively. I hope we have a plan now. I think we do. We desperately need to draft some offensive linemen soon. Like Yesterday. And (as everyone else has said) a QB. Until then, I don't see the other skill positions making much of a difference. That's what I think anyway.

Henry--- I see a huge improvement in the OL from last year. Other than week one, Rex has generally had enough time to throw and we've run the ball pretty well. Big improvement and a 100% turnover from our OL in 2009. Montgomery + Chester is much better than Rabach + Dockery.

Now, I still want a mauler on the intererior and I'd be willing to invest a high pick on a guard or center. And of course, I want more depth, but who doesn't? I think the OL is solid to good now and is a player away from being great. I think we've spent some resources there it's paid off.

I realize the premise of your thread wasn't necessarily this, but, I'm going to ask anyways...

How do you rank the Redskins 16th in playmakers?do like Bradford.

I do it like this:

--Pick who you think is our biggest playmaking threat... I'd say Moss still, but that is debatable. Then, put that player up against the biggest playmaking threat from every other team...

--As an example, I think Dallas has FOUR players more dangerous than whoever you think is our most dangerous (Dez, Jones, Austin, and Romo sits to pee). All of those guys are capable of taking a busted play and turning it into 6; or like you saw yesterday, the coverage can be perfect but sometimes all you need to do is lob it up to a guy like Dez or Calvin Johnson.

--I believe we have the least "dangerous" offensive weapons in the NFC and maybe the entire league. What we do have is good depth and hard workers and we can dink an dunk you to death, control the clock, turn it ugly, and take a "prettier" team out of their game. But yes, at some point we will need to find playmakers if we want to score more than 20 points per game consistently.

I don't see how dominating games without scoring = good sign. We've seen this before with the Skins where they rack up stats and either barely win or even lose.

Haven't seen it that many times before. They are dominating the time of possession. Dominating yardage. This is certainly something new.

As far as needing a QB, obviously at some point we do. But depending on how the draft unfolds we are not guaranteed to take a QB and it is ridiculous to think that. We still need other positions, and if we aren't able to work out a nice deal, or there is no one that we really like at the time we draft, we will again prove a lot of people wrong and go another way. Even when we do get our QB, he will probably sit for a year or two learning the offense.

As far as someone saying that our D is nothing like that Bears team D, your right they are fundamentally different. But our D looks every bit as good. The pass rush is becoming dominating, and will continue to get better. The secondary will continue to get better as well as the group gets more comfortable with each other, Landry is still getting into his groove. We will cause more turnovers as the year goes on.

I'd put our TE duo against any.

Cooley looks shockingly slow, coming back from surgery, and next to Davis this year. So far he's a shadow of his former self.

Cooley has 7 catches for 66 yards, 9.4 average. That puts him on pace for 28 for the year. Last year he caught 77 passes for 11.0 average.

It's probably nostalgia and salary that has him starting over Paulsen right now. Can Cooley get back to the player he was? I don't know. I think he's playing in pain, and is denying this, because he doesn't want to lose his job to Davis. At the moment, I think Cooley may be the weakest player among the top 12 on offense and maybe the weakest among the top 25 starters / rotation on offense & defense.

If Paulsen were starting over Cooley, we might see better blocking at least. Cooley is scaring no one in any facet of the game. That's why he pitched for the FB position. Like Sellers, at this point he's trying to justify his place on the roster.

I realize this sounds harsh, and I mean no disrespect for Cooley's past accomplishments. But if Cooley were honest, he'd probably say he's playing in pain, holding the team back, and looks done unless his knee gets better.

Henry--- I see a huge improvement in the OL from last year. Other than week one, Rex has generally had enough time to throw and we've run the ball pretty well. Big improvement and a 100% turnover from our OL in 2009. Montgomery + Chester is much better than Rabach + Dockery.

Now, I still want a mauler on the intererior and I'd be willing to invest a high pick on a guard or center. And of course, I want more depth, but who doesn't? I think the OL is solid to good now and is a player away from being great. I think we've spent some resources there it's paid off.

I think our line needs a lot of work. Perhaps I wasn't being totally fair. The line IS better than last year's, but it's still not great. Our rushing attack, outside of this past week when we played the worst defense in the history of rushing defenses, has been mediocre at best. Grossman has more time than McNabb had, but I think it's also due to his better understanding and comfort with the system (he looked better behind last year's line than McNabb too.)

I just don't see our offense as a whole being any better than it's been for years. And our line, while admittedly better than last year, is a work in progress. I'd like to see some draft picks spent on interior linemen this offseason. And of course the sooner we replace Grossman/Beck the better.

Until then, if we can hang our hat on the defense and win some games that way, that would be great.

Early in the season you want to be showing flashes, and show that you're a disciplined Team not doing stupid things.

It's late in the season that you want to get on a roll. Detroit is peaking way too early. It's the teams that get on a roll in week 13 or so that go the distance, every year. Really, this time of year, you want to play so that by Week 13 you're playing in games that matter.

Early in the season you want to be showing flashes, and show that you're a disciplined Team not doing stupid things.

It's late in the season that you want to get on a roll. Detroit is peaking way too early. It's the teams that get on a roll in week 13 or so that go the distance, every year. Really, this time of year, you want to play so that by Week 13 you're playing in games that matter.

Not to be a total downer but let's just hope WE'RE not peaking too early.

It's been known to happen.

Not to be a total downer but let's just hope WE'RE not peaking too early.

It's been known to happen.

To me, the biggest positives are

1. the legitimate play of our defense. How do we know it is legitimate? Because we are getting to the QB consistently and we still have room to improve. With Landry coming back and our new guys developing within the scheme every week, this defense could be among the leagues' best by year end. I really believe that.

2. Low penalties. This is a disciplined team that is not giving away games. Our mental mistakes have been Rex's wanting to share and Sav's inability to hold a snap. Fine, let's get those out of the way early. We're not seeing stupid false start penalties, bad holding penalties, late hits, etc.

3. Stable of running backs. Compare to our depth last year. Didn't Keiland Williams start a game for us? Ouch.

4. If our starting QB goes down, we don't get worse. We might actually get better. How many teams can you say that about that are 3-1 or better?

5. Our Oline (and specifically TW) is getting better every single week.

Now, what's not to like?

Really, I think the play of our WR's has been poor and the play of Grossman has been a mixed bag. We do not have any real threats on offense. We're not making the big plays. Our FG kicking game has been suspect as well.

ecstatic with our start and I’m really digging this season but … I can’t help to think that this team is a house of cards and the wheels are going to fall off at some point during the season and we are going to go on a bad streak losing like 4 out of 5 games.

I can keep making excuses for every team we play, I realize that, but …

1.the giants were missing some pretty key players, and yes we handled them but weren’t we behind like in the 4th? regardless, it was a tough game against a depleted team.

2.Arizona was a nailbiter and for a team that plays like crap on the east coast it should not have been so damn close

3.Dallas? We lost to a team that was total disarray.

4.If the Rams WR caught just 2 or 3 of the very catchable balls they dropped on blown skins defenses, I think we lose. honestly. same goes for the rams defense, they had at least two dropped INT’s from the Cannon.

I typically don’t belive in getting “breaks” because a team is a team is a team. if your injuries hinder you, that is your problem, if you can’t play away from home, that is your problem, if your coach chokes and does not challenge a play, that's your problem, and etc. etc.

I just get a feeling we are eeking our way to wins.

now, i can come up with a positive for every negative above, but what fun would that be? ;)

I just get a feeling we are eeking our way to wins.

now, i can come up with a positive for every negative above, but what fun would that be? ;)

the thing to remember is that if one were to look at the stat lines for either of our wins against the Cardinals or the Rams, NO WAY would you say the wins were eeked out. You'd guess we won by a total of 4 TD's.

the thing to remember is that if one were to look at the stat lines for either of our wins against the Cardinals or the Rams, NO WAY would you say the wins were eeked out. You'd guess we won by a total of 4 TD's.

Those facts are biased.

Dude, the only thing Grossman is dominating is his Depends as he craps his way through one suckfest after another. We need to start Beck or this season is over.

Archived