Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For Discussion: What if Obama pulls a Johnson & not run: How would the Democratic race shape up?

88Comrade2000

For Discussion ONLY: What if Obama pulls a Johnson & not run: How would the Democratic race shape up?

Johnson concluded he couldn't win reelection and decided not to run for reelection. Just for discussion only; what if Obama stunned the world and announced he wouldn't run for reelection and would just focus on the job.

With no Obama and probably a very short time frame before the primaries started; how would a fictional Democratic Race shape up? Would they just give it to Hillary? Or would several people jump in?

Note: Again, this is just for discussion purposes. This isn't happening.

Like you said, I can't see it happening. He'd be leaving too many in hot water. They'd have no time to really set up the organization or monies needed to run for Presidency these days. So, basically it'd be a giant F you to his own party.

That said, if he decided that he couldn't take it anymore and didn't want to deal with the mess that is Washington, I think at this stage Hillary is the only contender on the D ticket who could emerge. She was pretty successful as a NY Senator and she was generally lauded on her work as Secretary State. She has the name recognition and even many Republicans have flipped on her.

Other than her though, I am not sure who else could even make a credible run. Congress is too despised for the usuals to run and get much traction and I don't think there's a governor with enough national traction at this point. You'd have to get a non-politico billionaire to run... a Warren Buffet or Bill Gates type and I don't know how that would play or if we'd even want them.

I'd vote for Kang and he'd easily beat Kodos.

Seriously, Hillary would jump in and probably win with her new international chops. I think if it looks grim for Obama in at the General approaches, we could see Biden "retire" for health/family reasons and Clinton take his spot. I really do.

At that point its game over.

Hillary wins in a landslide.

She's done a very commendable job as Secretary of State, and many of us, myself included would like to see a return to Clintonomics, as compared to the wreckless spending of our last two presidents.

History has been kinder than I expected to Bill. The present has been kind to Hillary because she's earned it.

She's done a very commendable job as Secretary of State, and many of us, myself included would like to see a return to Clintonomics, as compared to the wreckless spending of our last two presidents.

History has been kinder than I expected to Bill. The present has been kind to Hillary because she's earned it.

Of course, Hillary mostly has been implementing Obama's foreign policy directives while serving as Secretary of State. Not to say that she hasn't done a good job, but what she has been doing is what Obama wants her to do. That may not be true with regard to every top federal official, but you can bet that every President always micromanages top tier foreign policy decisions.

The Dems bench is not exactly overflowing with potential candidates right now.

In the unlikely event of an Obama implosion, it would probably end up being someone like Vilsack - someone with some national connections and a little bit of a name.

Anyway, the only something like that happens is an insurgency from within the party. There is no Eugene McCarthy out there nor is there an issue to unite Democrats against their president. And there is certainly no Bobby Kennedy waiting in the wings.

In a '68 Scenario, Hillary (I guess) would play the role of Hubert Humphrey with the roles of Kennedy, McCarthy, and Vietnam all currently uncast.

It's also unclear whether or not Johnson would have lost. Even with Bobby Kennedy entering the race, Johnson might have been able to win the nomination. And despite everything that happeed to the Dems in '68, Nixon squeaked out a win.

The real question was whether Johnson could have won the election without dying. He only had five years left to live as it was. A grueling campaing against a Kennedy and then Nixon might have triggered any kind of awful health event.

raise taxes back to Clinton era?

Of course, Hillary mostly has been implementing Obama's foreign policy directives while serving as Secretary of State. Not to say that she hasn't done a good job, but what she has been doing is what Obama wants her to do. That may not be true with regard to every top federal official, but you can bet that every President always micromanages top tier foreign policy decisions.

Certainly.

And that's one area where I've had few disagreements with the president. But what impresses me, even beyond that, is that Hillary hasn't in any way used the office to try to catapul herself into the Oval Office. She's served very effectively, without making it about her. I guess I shouldn't have assumed that's what she'd do, but I'm impressed that she hasn't.

I think so too, but you don't think her ego would prevent her?

I'm sure there are a few governors that would crawl out of the woodwork, even former ones like Rendell.

Nah. Pelosi knows what she is good at. She is a vote counter and an arm twister, not a Head of State.

Yes I think Hillary would be the nominee and many Americans perceive that she has done a good job as Sec Of State. That said, what the heck has she done that has been widely praised? Seriously, list her diplomatic successes.

Archived