Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SportsIllustrated.com: Break It Down: Dallas burns DeAngelo Hall

Califan007 The Constipated

I'll agree that you and I are talking symantics and we both seem to agree that this play could have been handled better by DHall, likely leading to an imcompletion or at best, at least not a 15 yard penalty.

I will say this though, the image you showed is on Dallas's 36 yard line, the catch is made at the 49 you dont think that if DHall would have turned up out of that hip turn at full speed toward Dez Bryant who was in my opinion at a fast jog that he could have made up that gap? Again, I think we're on somewhat of the same page, DHall could have played it better for whatever the reason.

I wish DHall would have watched the NFL Turning Points episode of Dallas/Jets with Revis on Dez.. Revis had Bryant completely flustered and out of rythum. I wish DHall was move agressive.

Not really symantics, but basic technique. Once he turned his hips outside, he's beaten. Ball or man, doesn't matter but yea he could've handled this differently. If he's turned the correct way, he at the very least can try to make a play on the ball. Hell even if he just grabs Dez and pulls him down it's pass interference. They get a 1st down at the spot but we live to fight another down.

Revis' technique and strength is far superior to Hall's Revis understands leverage and his hands and feet work together as a unit much better than Halls.

Pretty sure they were instructed to watch for a screen as you can see both Kerrigan and Otogwe back off from rushing a bit. Kerrigan moreso as he COULD have had better/faster play recognition there.

That makes the playcall EVEN WORSE. That means that you're taking TWO guys out of coverage, leaving your corners alone and you're basically not even giving those two extra guys the full green light to generate rush. You're essentially picking the worst of all possible worlds, which confirms just how terrible of a call it was. You can blitz and not send everyone, what an idiotic move on 3rd and 21.

Again so many are not correct. Why don't you replay that and watch the lack of effort by Kerrigan. Had he NOT TAKEN THE PLAY OFF!!! he would have been where Romo sits to pee ended up throwing from. The fact is Kerrigan caused this blitz to fail. Simple and plain. Kerrigan didn't really rush the passer and seemed very tired on this play. Anyone that can't see it after watching the replay needs to learn football.................

If you heard the Kerrigan Interview he did not take the play off, The skins got burned on an earlier play by Choice he chipped the blitzer and then released. He was being block by a tightend and he had coverage responsibility it he just blew by him Romo sits to pee could have dumped it off and there was no backup coverage! May have been a bigger play than to Bryant. That is why Romo sits to pee dropped back right from the beginning with a slight rolled to that side. Hoping that Kerrigan or the safety would have just blown by their coverage. Both held their man in check from the dump off. They did their job. What we should have done was hold one safety in the middle of the field and that pass would have been intercepted.

Ya Hall should be blamed for a all out blitz failing and leaving him one on one with on of the NFL's best up and coming receivers. Ya that's all his fault. It was a stupid call. We should have had help on Dez so another receiver was forced to make a play. Ridic how some of you are willing to jump on Hall for him being outspoken. God forbid anyone saying there's anything wrong with something. I'm glad Hall spoke up. It means he freakin cares about the game and that he freakin cares that all he's hearing is he lost the game. The same people trashing him would be crying if he was gone and one of our corners got burned trying to replace him.

Okay so now things are clear. Hall cannot be asked to cover a receiver one on one anywhere on the field. That's fine. Not everyone can doit. It confirms what most of us already knew, Hall is not a top shelf corner (though he's being paid like and talks like one). Looking for a younger and cheaper alternative in next year's draft should be high on the list of things to do.

Lesson learned. Next time Haslett has to back off and play it more conservative (can't wait to see the whining when that happens) because he's limited in the backfield.

Okay so now things are clear. Hall cannot be asked to cover a receiver one on one anywhere on the field. That's fine.

I would not want, on a 3rd and 21, to leave Darrell Green one-on-one against someone larger than he. It was a terrible playcall and not dissimilar from the one that blew the Texans game last year. Haslett refuses to learn. He also called basically the same play the play before.

The other problem is that in Cover 0, you're not giving yourself a chance to really make a play on the ball. You MIGHT get lucky or might breakup a pass but an INT is unlikely. But one of the points of rushing 8 is to cause a mistake. If the offense adjusts or a mobile QB buys himself enough time, he can get the ball downfield and the best you really can hope for is a pass breakup. To me, 3rd and 21 is where you want to try to rush (so blitz one, maybe even two) and then you hope for a safety like Landry being able to help over the top of Hall and pick the ball off if Romo sits to pee even remotely overthrows it.

If you heard the Kerrigan Interview he did not take the play off, The skins got burned on an earlier play by Choice he chipped the blitzer and then released. He was being block by a tightend and he had coverage responsibility it he just blew by him Romo sits to pee could have dumped it off and there was no backup coverage! May have been a bigger play than to Bryant. That is why Romo sits to pee dropped back right from the beginning with a slight rolled to that side. Hoping that Kerrigan or the safety would have just blown by their coverage. Both held their man in check from the dump off. They did their job. What we should have done was hold one safety in the middle of the field and that pass would have been intercepted.

Well everyone is blaming Hall, but who the F can cover a NFL wideout for 8 seconds? I don't care if Darrel Green in his prime, Deion Sanders in his prime, anyone doesn't matter no one will cover a wideout for 8 seconds. Sorry the Kerrigan excuse doesn't fly with me. Jones made a play earlier I get that but I would rather blitz correctly than have a rookie decide and cause this to happen I also saw the running back float protection leaving Fletcher the free man, Kerrigan is getting owned by a back in pass protection? Sorry that even gives me a worse taste in my mouth. I there are several ways to look at it, but to blame Hall only when the actual call and the judgement of Kerrigan to defend a screen is disheartening. Bad call, bad design, you don't leave anyone to cover Dez Bryant or anyone else for 8 seconds period................

Okay so now things are clear. Hall cannot be asked to cover a receiver one on one anywhere on the field. That's fine. Not everyone can doit. It confirms what most of us already knew, Hall is not a top shelf corner (though he's being paid like and talks like one). Looking for a younger and cheaper alternative in next year's draft should be high on the list of things to do.

Terrible observation if your blaming DHall for this.

Any one else have flashbacks of Greg Blatche's blitzes that could be seen from a mile away? The NFL is all about DISGUISING blitzes, not lining up exactly where you're about to go.

Its baffling that after 5 poor snaps by the cowboys center, clearly showing that he was rattled, that Haslett didnt dial up more up the gut blitzes, or d-line stunts.

Any one else have flashbacks of Greg Blatche's blitzes that could be seen from a mile away?

Thats exactly what I said, our blitzes are so obvious and then when they do come its as if they are trying to get blocked. Same way when Gregg Williams was here to. Gregg Williams never called prevent but I bet he wouldnt send the house on 3rd and 21.

In hindsight (I'm conceding this is HINDSIGHT), I guess the best way for Hall to have reacted would have been to stay off of Bryant in order to encourage a short completion and then just hope to slow him up until someone could come help him make the tackle.

My feeling at the time,and it is now,is that DHall had good position. Had the outside protected and Dez in front of him. Before his latest statement,I felt like he did that DHall thing. Looked at Romo sits to pee and for a split sec lost track of Bryant. When he took off,he just reacted and went downfield where he may have expected Dez to go. Just needed to keep an eye on him. Only thing Bryant didn't do on that pass play was call a fair catch,so I think DHall could have made a play on it had he stayed with him.

My feeling at the time,and it is now,is that DHall had good position. Had the outside protected and Dez in front of him. Before his latest statement,I felt like he did that DHall thing. Looked at Romo sits to pee and for a split sec lost track of Bryant. When he took off,he just reacted and went downfield where he may have expected Dez to go. Just needed to keep an eye on him. Only thing Bryant didn't do on that pass play was call a fair catch,so I think DHall could have made a play on it had he stayed with him.

Oh, I do too...I was just looking at this one step earlier.

Given the blitz we were executing...the closer to the line of scrimmage that Hall could have encouraged the completion be made, the better for us. So, again in hindsight, even if he drops 15 yards off of Bryant and then cautiously approaches him after the catch, it's preferable than running up to him and giving him a shot to make the catch at the sticks.

Now, Bryant might have run the sticks either way...but if you're the WR and QB there and you see a 10 or 12 yard cushion...you probably just complete the easy pass and live to fight on 4th and 10.

Oh, I do too...I was just looking at this one step earlier.

Given the blitz we were executing...the closer to the line of scrimmage that Hall could have encouraged the completion be made, the better for us. So, again in hindsight, even if he drops 15 yards off of Bryant and then cautiously approaches him after the catch, it's preferable than running up to him and giving him a shot to make the catch at the sticks.

Now, Bryant might have run the sticks either way...but if you're the WR and QB there and you see a 10 or 12 yard cushion...you probably just complete the easy pass and live to fight on 4th and 10.

Agreed. Tell you what,(and I am using hindsight for sure here),that play just as easily could have been a tragic one for Dallas the way it went with the above conversation in mind.

Okay so now things are clear. Hall cannot be asked to cover a receiver one on one anywhere on the field. That's fine. Not everyone can doit. It confirms what most of us already knew, Hall is not a top shelf corner (though he's being paid like and talks like one).

Buuuutttt he was probowl MVP and had 4 picks in a game last year!!

:jerk:

Anyone who thinks this article is blaming D Hall alone must have only read the article title.

Simply put, it claims that NOTHING about the play was executed correctly, not just that Hall didn't execute correctly. And even with the 5, 7 or 8 seconds Hall had to cover Bryant (take your pick on how long he actually had to lol), D Hall made plenty of mistakes that had more to do with that pass being completed for a 1st down than how much time Romo sits to pee was given due to the complete lack of penetration by the defensive blitz.

If just one of the blitzers were able to effectively get past a blocker, the play most likely works.

If Hall doesn't bite quite so hard at driving towards the LOS and instead makes sure to keep Bryant in front of him, the play most likely works.

If Hall makes sure to get inside of Dez and keeps him between himself and the sideline, the play most likely works.

If Hall doesn't turn his hips in the wrong direction, the play most likely works.

NONE of that happened, though. All of it failed. And it didn't fail because it was the wrong call (which the article even says it was not the call to make in that situation). As Hall is saying now, no matter what the call is, if you can execute it sufficiently enough it WILL work.

The Redskins' defense--not just DeAngelo Hall--came nowhere near executing that call to any sufficient degree.

So many people still blaming this guy or that guy for that play. Ok Hall took a chance on an INT and got caught but the blitz was picked up and if you look at where everyone was lined up you will see that McIntosh also took himself out of the play. He went inside and was blocked by the OT and bunched up with the two down lineman. The two guys in the backfield took the two outside guys Kerrigan and Atgowe to the rigth of Romo sits to pee so he had a clear view and lane to pass the ball. So While Hall made a mistake in coverage, McIntosh also made a mistake in his angle to rush Romo sits to pee. Also it looks like that the OT #66 (I believe it is Doug Free) has his hands outside of the shoulder pads and that is holding my friends. Just another example of how SI not looking too close at all the could of, would of, should of scenarios. They just make the case of how bad the officiating is. A missed holding penalty on #66 (Doug Free) and then the one that shows him rolling out clearly shows #61 grabbing and pulling on a Redskins defenders jersey. But I guess that is ok but they have to punish the Redskins for a 5 yard facemask and make it a 15 yarder.

Anyone who thinks this article is blaming D Hall alone must have only read the article title.

Simply put, it claims that NOTHING about the play was executed correctly, not just that Hall didn't execute correctly. And even with the 5, 7 or 8 seconds Hall had to cover Bryant (take your pick on how long he actually had to lol), D Hall made plenty of mistakes that had more to do with that pass being completed for a 1st down than how much time Romo sits to pee was given due to the complete lack of penetration by the defensive blitz.

From snap to catch, it was actually only 5 seconds based on the game clock in the highlights.

---------- Post added September-28th-2011 at 01:49 PM ----------

So many people still blaming this guy or that guy for that play. Ok Hall took a chance on an INT and got caught but the blitz was picked up and if you look at where everyone was lined up you will see that McIntosh also took himself out of the play. He went inside and was blocked by the OT and bunched up with the two down lineman. The two guys in the backfield took the two outside guys Kerrigan and Atgowe to the rigth of Romo sits to pee so he had a clear view and lane to pass the ball. So While Hall made a mistake in coverage, McIntosh also made a mistake in his angle to rush Romo sits to pee. Also it looks like that the OT #66 (I believe it is Doug Free) has his hands outside of the shoulder pads and that is holding my friends. Just another example of how SI not looking too close at all the could of, would of, should of scenarios. They just make the case of how bad the officiating is. A missed holding penalty on #66 (Doug Free) and then the one that shows him rolling out clearly shows #61 grabbing and pulling on a Redskins defenders jersey. But I guess that is ok but they have to punish the Redskins for a 5 yard facemask and make it a 15 yarder.

1. You are seeing things if you think there was hold that is likely to be called on that play.

2. There is no 5 yard penatly any more.

Re-watching the play it seems like Hall did have Dez locked down, it was when Romo sits to pee got the extra time to scramble and he motioned Dez to take off, that is what made it impossible to cover.

When a WR breaks off a designed route, it makes it a lot harder for the CB to cover them 1 on 1......it is a lot harder to RE-act, than to act.

Hall was anticipating a dump off pass to Dez Bryant once Romo sits to pee started to run backwards to avoid the sack. If your Blitz would have made it to Romo sits to pee as quickly as intended, Romo sits to pee either makes the dumpoff pass to Bryant or it results in an array incomplete pass, or even best case scenario Sack, and then 4th & 30ish.....

You can be mad at Hall all you want for some of his coverage during the rest of the game, but to me the blame on this play goes to 7 blitzing defenders being stuffed for the most part by a garbage Dallas O-line.....

If anything, the 'Skins should have faked the All-Out blitz, and sent more guys into coverage.

In hindsight (I'm conceding this is HINDSIGHT), I guess the best way for Hall to have reacted would have been to stay off of Bryant in order to encourage a short completion and then just hope to slow him up until someone could come help him make the tackle.

I also was thinking about it this morning after I made my initial post, and in hindsight, Romo sits to pee probably wouldn't have made that completion if Doughty were in the same position that Hall was. Its not because 37 is so much greater of a football player than 23, but simply that they are two different "personality style" people. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Hall drove to the WR and took his eyes off of him to scope the QB, because thats how Hall plays, agressive, and constantly looking for an opportunity to break up a play (we've seen it go both good and bad many many times over). Doughty, however, IMO, would have probably been off of the WR when things began to unfold, either because he wouldn't have been able to close as fast as Hall, or simply because Doughty is much more disciplined in holding his position and letting a play unfold versus trying to jump the play and break it up (just as with Hall, we've seen this go both good and bad many many times over). Either way, he probably wouldn't have been in a position that would have allowed himself to get out of position (if that makes any sense), and hence he could have possibly been able to get inside of bryant after the ball had been thrown and potentially break up the pass. Or he might've missed the pass altogether and bryant could have simply run in for the TD, which fortunately would have given us more time on the clock for the final drive. See you just have to stay optimistic :)

DeAngelo Hall is the worst cornerback in the NFL and has been for the majority of his career. The playcall was "bad" only in the sense that DeAngelo Hall is far more likely than a competent NFL corner to get burned on such a play.

I would have cut him during the uncapped year; giving him that contract was ridiculous. Revis had 0 INTs last year because he covers people so well that nobody throws at him. Hall got 6 ints because EVERYONE tests him and occasionally him jumping routes like a retarded monkey gets him an INT.

Archived