Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SportsIllustrated.com: Break It Down: Dallas burns DeAngelo Hall

Califan007 The Constipated

DeAngelo Hall is the worst cornerback in the NFL and has been for the majority of his career. The playcall was "bad" only in the sense that DeAngelo Hall is far more likely than a competent NFL corner to get burned on such a play.

Why even bother posting such a horrible block of text? I'm no DLo homer, but he is far from the worst CB in the league. He won us two games just last year alone.

The play should have never been called. We didn't need to rush eight, five would have been fine. I know D.Hall is expected to make that play, but Bryant is bad match-up for him. Safety should have been up top on that play. Hindsight is great, but facts are facts and the fact is that we could have gotten some good pressure with five on 3rd and long, we have been doing it all year.

If every QB could throw every pass to Deangelo Hall, they would look like Dan Marino.Don't be blinded by this "playmaker" bull****. He'll lose you as many games as he wins because he's a terrible cornerback.

How many games did he lose us last year? He won 2 by making plays (despite not being a playmaker in your mind). How many did he lose for us?

Hall loses us games by making it trivial for opposing quarterbacks to move the chains on us. Just because he has a few games with highlight reel INTs doesn't mean on average he's a major net negative. A large portion of opposing big passing plays are directed at him.

Statistically, every time Hall is targeted by the opposing QB he gives up a first down.

Hall loses us games by making it trivial for opposing quarterbacks to move the chains on us. Just because he has a few games with highlight reel INTs doesn't mean on average he's a major net negative. A large portion of opposing big passing plays are directed at him.

Statistically, every time Hall is targeted by the opposing QB he gives up a first down.

Your not taking in to account all the times Hall has his man covered enough that there is no target. Which is more often than not.

Put this in perspective - if you complete 8 yards a pass as a QB, you're elite. Hall gives up 10 yards a pass. On average, Hall makes every QB look like Peyton Manning.

6 INTs is such a big number compared to giving up 40-50 first downs per season. Also FO actually accounts for this; they take into account passes that fail to get a certain amount of yardage depending on down and distance.

Again, you think a cornerback sucking at covering WRs (which is what a corner is supposed to do) is okay because he produces a few turnovers (and he produced most of those turnovers in one incredibly fluky game)

By this logic you think Hall > Revis because Revis had 0 TOs last year.

Or I guess everyone is so shellshocked by Rogers that people want someone, anyone who can make a routine INT (never mind that Rogers got torched a lot too)

I'm simply saying that I believe Hall does a good job of breaking on the ball and making plays. I also think he gives up plays, but you're 100% wrong to say:

"Statistically, every time Hall is targeted by the opposing QB he gives up a first down."

That's just wrong. Incorrect. False.

You could say that whenever a QB successfully completes a pass on Hall, on average it will net that QB a first down. But that's not even close to what you were attempting to state earlier in the thread. So, you were either lying or you're not able to communicate your point effectively.

What it boils down to, is if he hadn't run his mouth TWICE, it would have been just another miracle play by Romo sits to pee. Due to his big mouth, it has turned into DHall vs. everyone else. Just plain stupid on his part.

That's the long and short of it.. Hall runs his mouth, again, and now has the bright lights pointed directly on him..

The blitz had to get there. Doing that blitz twice, Romo sits to pee and the o-line were ready for it. D-Hall did everything he was supposed to do. He gave Dez a cushion, in case he was going to run a go or seam or a deep route. When D-Hall realizes the ball is supposed to come out hot, he squeezes down on the coverage, not just to pick off and intercept the ball, but to also tackle Dez Bryant way before the first down. The rush doesn't get there, Romo sits to pee points where he wants Dez to go, and D-Hall's pretty much screwed.

And whether the facemask was a bad call or not, it's safe to assume that, if D-Hall DIDN'T tackle Dez some kind of way, it would've been a touchdown.

That's pretty much how I see it, anyway.

And whether the facemask was a bad call or not, it's safe to assume that, if D-Hall DIDN'T tackle Dez some kind of way, it would've been a touchdown.

I don't care about the facemask penalty. Once the Cowboys converted that first down, they were most likely going to get into FG range. If anything, the facemask penalty was a blessing in disguise as it expedited the FG attempt. I thought Dallas went very conservative there at the end and was surprised that they basically ran into the line of scrimmage 3 times and were content with a 41 or 42 yard FG. Had we gained 20 more yards on the ensuing drive and won the game with a FG, Garrett would be the one being second-guessed this week.

D-Hall did everything he was supposed to do.

No, he did not. Hall himself is saying he didn't do everything he was supposed to do.

Hall should have kept Bryant between himself and the sideline. Hall should have kept more distance between himsef and Bryant even when going for the hot read. Hall should have kept his eyes on Bryant better. Hall shouldn't have gotten his hips turned around while trying to re-gather himself when Bryant started off downfield.

But all of those things would have been moot if the blitzers produced. And even THAT would have been moot if Haslett and Shanahan went for the safer play that would have almost guaranteed a 4th down.

That makes the playcall EVEN WORSE. That means that you're taking TWO guys out of coverage, leaving your corners alone and you're basically not even giving those two extra guys the full green light to generate rush. You're essentially picking the worst of all possible worlds, which confirms just how terrible of a call it was. You can blitz and not send everyone, what an idiotic move on 3rd and 21.

No it does not. If you don't account for the screen in that situation you are giving up an easy TD to the screen and you have to have someone accounting for the RB and TE in case they don't stay in to block. The role of Kerrigan and Atogwe on that play is far less to blame for things breaking down than the simple fact that Dallas' offensive line successfully held off five rushers for a full 6 or 7 seconds. An offensive line shouldn't be able to block four rushers for much more than 3 or 4 seconds under normal circumstances. Hall's critical mistake in coverage of playing inside technique with no help around him and no option to bump the receiver that far downfield only compounded the problem.

If you want to look at Haslett's decision to call the play, his mistake was in trusting his players too much and not considering the fact that the Dallas OL had more or less stoned our interior pass rush all game. A little more creativity in the blitz (e.g., stunting) could have made a world of difference there, too.

I need Sunday to hurry up and get here, let me be the first to guarantee that we are going to roll the Rams. Then all the foolishness about blaming Hall, Kerrigan, or any other player you try to pin that play on will stop. Haslesstt brains than everybody else should have never called that play.

If the players are in any way as pissed off as the fans with intelligence, we should destroy the rams.

Well everyone is blaming Hall, but who the F can cover a NFL wideout for 8 seconds? I don't care if Darrel Green in his prime, Deion Sanders in his prime, anyone doesn't matter no one will cover a wideout for 8 seconds. Sorry the Kerrigan excuse doesn't fly with me. Jones made a play earlier I get that but I would rather blitz correctly than have a rookie decide and cause this to happen I also saw the running back float protection leaving Fletcher the free man, Kerrigan is getting owned by a back in pass protection? Sorry that even gives me a worse taste in my mouth. I there are several ways to look at it, but to blame Hall only when the actual call and the judgement of Kerrigan to defend a screen is disheartening. Bad call, bad design, you don't leave anyone to cover Dez Bryant or anyone else for 8 seconds period................

Well I guess you need to Fault Both Kerrigan and Landry for not running through their blocks of running backs and tight ends on that play. Imagine if they had let those guys go and Romo sits to pee dumped it off adn the rest of the defense was in man to man not zone they would have been down filed before anymore could changed and got the first down. My response was to keep one safety at the first down area to react to balls just like that one thrown by Romo sits to pee. If they had done that it would have been defended if not intercepted

Dez Bryant might have even gotten a touchdown had Hall not facemasked him. If Dez Bryant were healthy, that would've been a ****ing touchdown.

When I used to play soccer, I once stopped a sure goal by the opposing team by hitting it with my hands out of bounds lol...didn't matter to me that I wasn't the goalie, I just wanted to make sure the ball didn't sail into the goal. My coach told me after the game not to worry about it, and said "When in doubt, knock it out" :ols:...

Also, perfect pickup by the Pukes. It is SHAMEFUL that an all out blitz results in a small pocket for Romo sits to pee and just enough time for him to deliver a strike.

That was indeed pathetic :mad: :mad:

---------- Post added September-29th-2011 at 08:25 AM ----------

The Turds made chicken soup out of chicken s***! It just seams that every other team manages to do this to us, and since the Moss bombs against Dallass, I cannot remember the last time we ate chicken soup.

Kerrigan made some damn good chicken soup against the Giants :yes:...their right tackle blew his block and allowed Kerrigan to get his hands up for the deflection.

Archived