Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's the throws Grossman can't make that kill us.

NoCalMike

Grossman through 3 games, in which the 'Skins are 2-1, has shown that he is a QB that can only do so much when the weight of the game is put on his shoulders.

His knowledge of the offense doesn't making up for the fact that he simply can't make certain throws, and often floats a lot of passes making them a lot more in danger of being picked off then they should be.

A Good play call by Shanahan that gets a WR wide open, in which Grossman makes a pass to, is not good enough to get it done in the NFL. Any QB on any team should make those throws.

It is the throws Grossman can't make that makes his ceiling somewhere around being a possible Wild Card team. I won't even say Grossman can't lead a team to the playoffs, but I am not confident he can do anything better.

Grossman had Moss behind the Cowboys secondary. He was 4-5 yards past Jenkins and the safety was completely out of position over the top. If Grossman had the arm to make the throw, we are looking at Moss's 3rd Monday Night Miracle catch to pretty much seal the game.

Hell, lets look at the games the 'Skins did win....how many times in Week 1 & 2, did Grossman underthrow wide open targets that the receivers had to STOP DEAD IN THEIR TRACKS to catch. If any one of those would have been caught in stride, EASY TOUCHDOWNS.

I won't "go there" and say a QB has to have the arm of Jeff George....(oK i went there)...but they have to have the damn ability to make throws in stride to WIDE OPEN WRs......

It's true. He's physically limited. Which is too bad. He seems to have as good of a grasp of the offense and the ability to execute it well.

But he doesn't have good quickness, which leads to sacks and fumbles.

He doesn't have good speed, so he gets tracked down on the back side, which leads to sacks and fumbles.

He has small hands which leads to fumbles.

He doesn't have an NFL arm, which leads to the defense not having to defend the entire field. And when a guy is open deep, he can't always get them the ball. The best example was actually in the SB. He had a guy running completely free down the right side, threw the ball as far as he could, which was under thrown by about 10 yards, and got picked off.

Look, Grossman is who he is. He seems to be making reasonably good decisions 95% of the time (and 5% he makes bonehead decisions) and he's physically limited. He can't make all the throws. He can't throw the frozen rope 40 yards down field. He can't escape.

Yet, he can (and I think he will) lead this team to 8-10 wins this year, and be a playoff contender.

I also think that Team Shanahan knows full well his limitations, and will be drafting a QB of the future next year. But I am THRILLED they didn't do it this year. This year, they got the WR situation squared away, a couple more OL in there to see what they could do, and dramatically upgraded the D. So, the QB waits a year longer. They'll fin in a few spots on the D, add a few more OL and QB next year, and get their QB. And then the rebuilding of the roster will be mostly complete.

This was going to take 2-3 years after the carnage of the Vinny years. QB just wasn't the high priority this year. Grossman can keep the team competitive, but he won't get them to the promise land.

The single biggest problem tonight was that Grossman had absolutely no feel for pressure. He rushed himself when he had time and he was completely oblivious when he didn't. In fact, when Grossman was hurrying himself the result was unnecessarily poor footwork that robbed him of the arm strength needed to make the deep, outside throws (which he can make but just barely with his feet under him and the chance to step up).

NoCalMike knows what he is talking about with this thread. The OP has identified another Grossman weakness-the throws he simply cannot make. He is more of a "game manager" than a game "changer". He can get you to 8-8 but can he lead us to the playoffs? He can throw a screen pass better than Campbell but he can also throw into coverage as if he thinks he has Brett Favre's arm strength can beat the defensive scheme. Our defense was let down tonight by our lack of offense. For many years now, our team has had trouble putting teams away in the 4th quarter. We have not had an offensive gunslinger at quarterback that is for sure.

It's true. He's physically limited. Which is too bad. He seems to have as good of a grasp of the offense and the ability to execute it well.

But he doesn't have good quickness, which leads to sacks and fumbles.

He doesn't have good speed, so he gets tracked down on the back side, which leads to sacks and fumbles.

He has small hands which leads to fumbles.

He doesn't have an NFL arm, which leads to the defense not having to defend the entire field. And when a guy is open deep, he can't always get them the ball. The best example was actually in the SB. He had a guy running completely free down the right side, threw the ball as far as he could, which was under thrown by about 10 yards, and got picked off.

Look, Grossman is who he is. He seems to be making reasonably good decisions 95% of the time (and 5% he makes bonehead decisions) and he's physically limited. He can't make all the throws. He can't throw the frozen rope 40 yards down field. He can't escape.

Yet, he can (and I think he will) lead this team to 8-10 wins this year, and be a playoff contender.

I also think that Team Shanahan knows full well his limitations, and will be drafting a QB of the future next year. But I am THRILLED they didn't do it this year. This year, they got the WR situation squared away, a couple more OL in there to see what they could do, and dramatically upgraded the D. So, the QB waits a year longer. They'll fin in a few spots on the D, add a few more OL and QB next year, and get their QB. And then the rebuilding of the roster will be mostly complete.

This was going to take 2-3 years after the carnage of the Vinny years. QB just wasn't the high priority this year. Grossman can keep the team competitive, but he won't get them to the promise land.

Thankyou! This right here is the voice of reason. seriously, grossman is a qb who can run the system, but is limited physically. Bottom line. Our OL still needs to be improved in both pass pro and run blocking. But were still 2-1 and our defense looks great

I don't disagree at all with this but I watched every preseason game this year

And I know the cupboards are bare

The QB on this team that gives us the best option is Rex Grossman

He is the clear starter even with the turnovers

The reason we lost this game was because we abandoned the run

The only series we scored on? TH's drive

Washington Redskins at 09:31

1-10-WAS 24

(9:31) 25-T.Hightower left guard to WAS 26 for 2 yards (94-D.Ware, 50-S.Lee).

2-8-WAS 26

(8:56) 8-R.Grossman pass short middle to 89-S.Moss ran ob at DAL 38 for 36 yards. Pass complete on a "skinny post."

1-10-DAL 38

(8:19) 8-R.Grossman pass short left to 47-C.Cooley to DAL 26 for 12 yards (21-M.Jenkins). Pass complete in the flat.

1-10-DAL 26

(7:43) 25-T.Hightower left end to DAL 25 for 1 yard (50-S.Lee, 90-J.Ratliff).

2-9-DAL 25

(7:00) 25-T.Hightower right end to DAL 19 for 6 yards (26-A.Elam).

3-3-DAL 19

(6:15) (Shotgun) 8-R.Grossman pass short middle to 25-T.Hightower to DAL 12 for 7 yards (50-S.Lee). Pass complete on a crossing pattern out of the backfield.

1-10-DAL 12

(5:34) 25-T.Hightower right tackle to DAL 6 for 6 yards (43-G.Sensabaugh).

2-4-DAL 6

(4:52) 25-T.Hightower left end to DAL 1 for 5 yards (93-A.Spencer).

1-1-DAL 1

(4:05) 8-R.Grossman pass short left to 25-T.Hightower for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN. Pass complete off play action.

4-G.Gano extra point is GOOD, Center-57-N.Sundberg, Holder-6-S.Rocca.

WAS 16 DAL 9 Plays: 9 Possession: 5:31

Can anyone please tell me why the hell we didn't continue doing this? I'm confused

Can anyone please tell me why the hell we didn't continue doing this? I'm confused

Excellent notes. Totally agree. Be interesting to see the stats of pass v. run after that drive.

Might be wrong but didn't they go 3 and out on three straight passes on their next drive? Weird.

Excellent notes. Totally agree. Be interesting to see the stats of pass v. run after that drive.

Might be wrong but didn't they go 3 and out on three straight passes on their next drive? Weird.

Yes that's correct

After that drive we went all pass

Ratio was 17 passes, 2 rushes

Grossman is Todd Collins version 2.0 He studies hard.....brings all the hard work and knowledge to the field....but doesn't have the athletic gifts to be a complete QB.

And I also agree, abandoning the run was a poor decision by Kyle Shanny......I like his offense, really do...but his PLAY CALLING is a problem.

All three games so far this season we can point to times where he just flat out abandoned the run and got pass happy when there was NO REASON for it.

Funny you made that comparison to Todd Collins

I said that tonight watching the game

Your assessment of what Rex is is completely on point

The good news is that Rex is younger then TC's I guess

The bad news is you can't turn a game manager into a playmaker

We will just have to rush more and we have the players for it I think

Helu looks good, Torain last season was a monster, and Hightower is the offensive MVP so far

And we have depth, Evan Royster is the all time leading rusher for Penn State.

It's confusing the hell out of me why the games being called this way

And if it is going to continue why aren't other players getting targets outside of Moss?

Why aren't we going with the youth? Lets get Austin, Hankerson, Paul involved

And one catch for Fred Davis is absurd to me after the first two weeks

Rex has a huge problem right now his eye's are on the pass rush not down field, and most of the time when a QB starts paying to much attention to the pass rush he is finished, he no longer can handle a hit and plays scared, that couldn't be more evident than against the cowboys last night, even when he was out of the pocket he was looking for defenders who were no where near him instead running straight ahead like any normal human being all the while just asking for a defender to run him down and strip the ball which he was holding as if he was looking for a Cowboy to hand it off to.

This game despite some of the mistakes should be laid on Rex's shoulders he just isn't a winner, we should have easily won this game with nothing more than routine QB play, Rex spent the 4th quarter watching the Dallas pass rush, take away his first intent to throw and he's done for the play, this was a big reason why I would have liked to see Beck start the season we just know what Rex is going to give you, where as Beck has a chance to progress, not to say beck is the answer by no means, but we are just spinning our wheels with Rex in whom I think could be a pretty good backup if he's not being hit every week.

We are not gonna finish low enough to get Luck. So... basically' date=' we are set back another 2 years. By then, London Fletcher will be retired, most our players past their prime. Rinse, repeat....[/quote']

It would take us at least two years to win with a rookie QB in all likelihood, so we'd be running into the same problem anyway. It's won't even be a problem at all if we draft well and continue to make intelligent moves in free agency.

Not sure there's anything new to read here? We knew what we had in Rex all along.. Listen, the guys not going to take us to a SB.. That's just a fact.. (And neither is Beck) We just have to roll with the punches until we can get an upgrade! Gonna be a few more years fellas! We knew this before tonight.. Someone said earlier they "though" we'd turned the corned.. Well, here's some news.. We HAVE turned the corner.. But we're still a ways from gettin to the top of the hill.. HAIL!!

It would take us at least two years to win with a rookie QB in all likelihood, so we'd be running into the same problem anyway. It's won't even be a problem at all if we draft well and continue to make intelligent moves in free agency.

Thank You.

People who think we are going to build the team, and just plug somebody like Luck in and all of a sudden we are a Super Bowl contender are kidding themselves. Drafting a "franchise" QB does not guarantee anything. I'm not saying that isn't the direction we may need to go, but this idea that drafting a "Franchise" QB is the answer of all answers for this team is ridiculous.

There are no guarantees. We may not have any more success with a QB drafted, than we do with Rex or Beck. Less even. More often than not, they do not pan out, and if they don't you set your team back even further. I think Rex and the offense just need more time to gel, and the play-calling must improve.

Not sure there's anything new to read here? We knew what we had in Rex all along.. Listen, the guys not going to take us to a SB.. That's just a fact.. (And neither is Beck) We just have to roll with the punches until we can get an upgrade! Gonna be a few more years fellas! We knew this before tonight.. Someone said earlier they "though" we'd turned the corned.. Well, here's some news.. We HAVE turned the corner.. But we're still a ways from gettin to the top of the hill.. HAIL!!

On a dime some among us will throw the baby out with the bathwater. These Washington Redskins are VASTLY IMPROVED over the 2010 version all day and twice on Sunday.However we still have areas of needs/improvement and we WILL get them corrected and be the TEAM we envision. We have 7 NEW STARTERS that still have to become comfortable with the schemes and teammates. NO ONE expected us to go undefeated did they? So most of us say we're a 7-9 / 9-7 team well this is ONE LOSS.

Archived