Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's the throws Grossman can't make that kill us.

NoCalMike

Grossman 5 TDs 5TOs (3int & 2 fumbles lost). If he fails in seattle he SHOULD be benched. If he's benched now, in Shanny I trust. Sadly I think lil' Shanny is just as bad as Grossman. Maybe he smoked too much weed with lil Simms.

1 INT was because armstrong can't catch.

I'm not willing to blame a QB for fumbles when he is running for his life and gets hit. The one against Arizona was bad...but the one against Dallas is understandable...50 seconds to go...he is running for his life trying to make a play to win the game for his team.....give him some protection before we crucify him for fumbling the ball.

Not calling for Rex to be benched,but it would be nice to see what Beck can do with the entire starting teams on the field. To many times in preseason it was Beck with and against second stringers. Just to bad we dont have Mallett waiting to start.

I'd give Rexy at least half a season. And I was rooting for Beck to win the job in the preseason. Still, IMO he hasn't done enough to lose his job or for that matter lock it in permanently. I think Rex has been OK, not IMO the stud that some on the board think he is, or IMO the train wreck that some think he is or will be. Yeah I am intrigued by Beck too, got no clue if he's the answer though but to play off of your point agree that Rex shouldn't be benched. IMO you can't hand someone the job, and give him just three games. Its chapter 1 in the movie, personally I am undecided.

Edit: I'd be far from upset to see Beck in there though. I am much more intrigued by him than Grossman but I think its unfair to have a QB competition, hand someone the job, and give him a ridiculously short leash. i know none of this is a direct response to your post just piggy backing off of it.

It's the lousy, bone-headed play calling that'll kill us, not Grossman. Kyle should hand it over to his father. As for Haslett...3rd and 21????? All out blitz???? You have to be kidding.

Disagree. The blitz was part of the reason sure, but not the only reason we lost. Rex as the qb is the leader of our offense and its his responsibility to execute in the redzone. We've left a ton of points on the field the last 2 weeks so it should never have come down to 3rd and 21 w/ a 1 pt lead. That being said, during the course of a season defenses will make mistakes and our QB will have to lead us back. He had nearly 2 minutes on the clock and 2 timeouts and we only had to get in field goal range. He didn't come through. Finally, a couple of first downs or some points on our 4th quarter drives before the 2 minute drill could have put Dallas away. We let them hang around & in the NFL that will come back to haunt you very often. The same could have happened easily last week, but we were able to strip the ball loose at the end.

---------- Post added September-28th-2011 at 07:09 PM ----------

I'd give Rexy at least half a season. And I was rooting for Beck to win the job in the preseason. Still, IMO he hasn't done enough to lose his job or for that matter lock it in permanently. I think Rex has been OK, not IMO the stud that some on the board think he is, or IMO the train wreck that some think he is or will be. Yeah I am intrigued by Beck too, got no clue if he's the answer though but to play off of your point agree that Rex shouldn't be benched. IMO you can't hand someone the job, and give him just three games. Its chapter 1 in the movie, personally I am undecided.

Rex has done as much as McNabb did to get pulled versus Detroit. Rex is who he is....Everyone keeps saying that but people still expect something else. If you wait until midseason we'll be having the same discussion. I frankly think that another fumble or two and that leash will get very short. I like Rex and would love to see him suceed and prove everyone wrong, but he has too many negatives going against him:

1. Arm Strength- Its clearly on the decline. We have no deep pasing game and receivers are constantly waiting on the ball. On top of that when he gets pressured he has a difficult time throwing the ball away

2. Mobility- Aside fron not having any escapability, we cannot run any rollouts with him and thats a big part of the Shanahan offense

3. Turnovers- Speaks for itself

I'm not saying Beck is great, but he opens up the entire playbook....

---------- Post added September-28th-2011 at 07:13 PM ----------

I'm not willing to blame a QB for fumbles when he is running for his life and gets hit. The one against Arizona was bad...but the one against Dallas is understandable...50 seconds to go...he is running for his life trying to make a play to win the game for his team.....give him some protection before we crucify him for fumbling the ball.

The Armstrong INT still wasn't a great pass. And for every INT you can blame elsewhere, there are several where he got bailed out (numerous batted passed v Zona, and Dallas nearly had 2-3 additional picks where receivers broke up the play)

How can you not blame Rex for fumbles? He didn't have to win the game on that one play. It was 2nd down, we only needed 20-25 yards and we had 35 seconds left with a timeout! You don't have to try to win the game there. He also had no pocket presense and should have known that someone was coming considering the play took long to develop. Bottom line, he should have thrown it away. Even if he got sacked it would have been a boneheaded play because we would have had to burn our last timeout.

He had plenty of time to throw the ball and was caught from behind while outside the pocket by a line backer that came from the opposite end of the field. He needs to have another good game and the Rams are perfect for that.

My question is, do the coaches keep Rex as the starter if he has another 2-3 bad games in the upcoming weeks?

Rex will stay the starter as long as we're in playoff contention. There's a reason he's starting over Beck; it's because the coaches feel gives us a better chance to win a football game. Once it doesn't matter anymore it doesn't matter anymore...

My question is, do the coaches keep Rex as the starter if he has another 2-3 bad games in the upcoming weeks?
Mike Shanahan has benched almost every QB he's had going back to his days as a OC/playcaller in 49ers.

If Rex is the reason the offense struggles I would bet dollars to doughnuts that Rex will ride the pine.

To me the one and only reason Rex was named the starter in the first place has to be his knowledge and comfortableness within the Kyle Shanahan offense. There is no way on earth you can argue that Rex makes throws that Beck can't. Beck is more mobile, elusive, and has a better arm, however, if he is not comfortable in the offense to where you can use 100% of the playbook, that can be reason enough to start Rex until Beck learns the offense better.

In the preseason, even when Beck was not doing the best, you saw the difference in how the offense felt like it could moved down the field at anytime because Beck had the arm to make the deep throws and to keep defenses honest.

With Rex the offense will always be limited to whatever type of throw Rex can execute.

I am not arguing that Beck should be the starting QB now, I am simply laying out the case for why I think Rex was chosen over Beck.

It reminds me of Todd Collins in the Al Saunders system. Todd Collins didn't have half the physical tools Campbell did, but Collins knew the Al Saunders offense, so on a SHORT TERM basis, Collins would come and look great.....until teams had game film and figured out what his limited physical ability had to offer, and they adjusted and Collins showed why he is not a starter in the NFL.

Don't give him an excuse man. Last time we played Dallas the game ended onna turnover by Grossman. He should have had it tucked. Now if he had fumbled it while it was tuck ok. But he had it in his little hand dangling. He should have been saying in his head "Ok I am Rex Grossman, I have little hands, I have fumbled the past two games of this season, I am slow so its probably a much bigger person running me down, I still have time on the clock, I should tuck it! Tuck it!" But no he wants to stay a punchline and our team does not need a QB that is turnover punchline.

Amazing how in one week Sexy Rexy has gone from being the best redskins QB ever to Todd Collins 2.0 .Dallas Week is like two weeks long and can't end soon enough. :doh:

Seriously, it's so obnoxious. Watch him light up the Rams like he did to the Giants and everyone will be on the bandwagon again.

Rex has done as much as McNabb did to get pulled versus Detroit. Rex is who he is....Everyone keeps saying that but people still expect something else. If you wait until midseason we'll be having the same discussion. I frankly think that another fumble or two and that leash will get very short. I like Rex and would love to see him suceed and prove everyone wrong, but he has too many negatives going against him: 1. Arm Strength- Its clearly on the decline. We have no deep pasing game and receivers are constantly waiting on the ball. On top of that when he gets pressured he has a difficult time throwing the ball away 2. Mobility- Aside fron not having any escapability, we cannot run any rollouts with him and thats a big part of the Shanahan offense

3. Turnovers- Speaks for itself

I'm not saying Beck is great, but he opens up the entire playbook.

Yeah but McNabb was just pulled at the end of the game, he didn't lose his job at that point. I think you are probably right about Rex, I am not sold on Rex based on his first 3 games. But I don't think he's been bad either. I don't agree with those Rex supporters who say "get out of here" he's played very well and the best is yet to come. (though I do think he burns it up against the Rams wretched secondary) but I also don't agree with the this dude stinks crowd. I rooted for Beck to win the job and I am definitely more intrigued by Beck over Rex because of his athleticism.

My best guess on Rex is he's now sort of like who John Freiz/Jon Kitna were in their peak -- guys who play decently at times but are too inconsistent and aren't enough of a game breaker to take you to the promised land. Is Beck better? I don't know. But if Shanny stays true to his word, I don't think Rex should be benched. I don't think he's lost his job. However, I also don't think he's locked it in. I think it would be unfair to bench him after such a small sample of games, especially considered I don't think he's been bad. I am hoping for better than a QB that's not bad, I am hoping longer term we have a guy that scares defenses.

I was listening to a Rams broadcaster talk on 106.7 and he was saying as far as he knows their game plan is to stop Hightower and the running game, and daring Rex to beat them. For the last 10 years or so, stopping our run game seems to be the operative game plan for most teams. I'd like to see that change for once. And yeah I don't think at least yet, opposing defensive coordinators are saying to themselves, we can't let Rex beat us, he is the Skins most dangerous weapon, etc.

Edit: the thing is I've noticed if teams want to stop our run game even in our peak, they often can do it. That's a whole separate subject though. Clinton for example disappeared in both playoff games he played in.

---------- Post added October-1st-2011 at 09:20 AM ----------

Seriously, it's so obnoxious. Watch him light up the Rams like he did to the Giants and everyone will be on the bandwagon again.

I predict that's going to happen, followed by an erratic game against the eagles. Then the debate ensues. Hope am wrong though.

I predict that's going to happen, followed by an erratic game against the eagles. Then the debate ensues. Hope am wrong though.

What I find most amusing is that everyone (recently) is knocking Rex for the "deep ball" and clamoring for Beck when the deep ball was everyones complaint about Beck before the season. It never ends. :ols:

What I find most amusing is that everyone (recently) is knocking Rex for the "deep ball" and clamoring for Beck when the deep ball was everyones complaint about Beck before the season. It never ends. :ols:

Agree neither has been impressive with the deep ball. Although, Beck clearly has the stronger arm, his deep ball was erratic in preseason. I thought the deep ball was one of the things that give Rex the edge, but I've not seen it yet. Hopefully he burns it up against the Rams, their secondary really stinks, should be a big game for Rexy and thus will quiet down this discussion for a little bit.

NO, it's 'CALLS' which Kyle REFUSES to make (i.e.: "if it ain't 'broke',don't 'fix' it"; "if the opposing defense ISN'T stopping 'certain plays', KEEP running them"; et al., etc., ad nauseum)!?! Because of his "stubborn-ness", we KEEP opponents in the games!!! Plus, Grossman is a 'BUM'!!!

With the 'Skins up 17-0, (not quite worthy of the term "route" but firmly being in control), Grossman reminded us he is Grossman. The first INT not his fault, but that second INT was almost identical to the one against Dallas, never sees the linebacker standing right in front of the route.

Shanahan must really feel that there is no better alternative in 2011 than Grossman and realizes he has to take the lumps until a better replacement can be found.

Archived