Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's the throws Grossman can't make that kill us.

NoCalMike

My other fear is that as the season goes on and teams get more game film on Grossman, it will be easier to game plan to his weaknesses. It is already apparent after a mere 3 games that he has a lot of limitations. Unless we get the running game going a lot more consistently, the offense is going to continually put on Rex's shoulders which is not something he can handle due to his limitations.

Also, the guy has little to no presence for impending pressure coming his way. I am not asking for him to be mobile, but it would be nice if was a little more elusive. If he could feel the pressure and maybe make a couple moves to the left or right to buy a few extra seconds of time.

Rex is a play action QB who can make a lot of throws. IMO, he's comparable to Eli Manning who many consider "elite" - not me. Eli has MANY limitations too. There is no perfect QB out there for any system. This is not a Madden video game you are watching.

The Cowboys had little respect for the Skins play action last night given the lack of big plays from the RBs. That's a big problem if you want most QBs in this league to succeed.

Yes, he also has a lot of turnovers, but so has every other QB who has played on the same team in the same system. Look at Cutler/Orton/Griese/McNabb. Most NFL QBs are system QBs.

My other fear is that as the season goes on and teams get more game film on Grossman, it will be easier to game plan to his weaknesses. It is already apparent after a mere 3 games that he has a lot of limitations. Unless we get the running game going a lot more consistently, the offense is going to continually put on Rex's shoulders which is not something he can handle due to his limitations.

Also, the guy has little to no presence for impending pressure coming his way. I am not asking for him to be mobile, but it would be nice if was a little more elusive. If he could feel the pressure and maybe make a couple moves to the left or right to buy a few extra seconds of time.

Grossman will not be playing a line like Dallas' every Sunday with the exception of Philly's.

The name of the game is called "counter-production." How do you counter defensive lines that have speed, you screen the hell out of them.

It's true. He's physically limited. Which is too bad. He seems to have as good of a grasp of the offense and the ability to execute it well.

But he doesn't have good quickness, which leads to sacks and fumbles.

He doesn't have good speed, so he gets tracked down on the back side, which leads to sacks and fumbles.

He has small hands which leads to fumbles.

He doesn't have an NFL arm, which leads to the defense not having to defend the entire field. And when a guy is open deep, he can't always get them the ball. The best example was actually in the SB. He had a guy running completely free down the right side, threw the ball as far as he could, which was under thrown by about 10 yards, and got picked off.

Look, Grossman is who he is. He seems to be making reasonably good decisions 95% of the time (and 5% he makes bonehead decisions) and he's physically limited. He can't make all the throws. He can't throw the frozen rope 40 yards down field. He can't escape.

Yet, he can (and I think he will) lead this team to 8-10 wins this year, and be a playoff contender.

I also think that Team Shanahan knows full well his limitations, and will be drafting a QB of the future next year. But I am THRILLED they didn't do it this year. This year, they got the WR situation squared away, a couple more OL in there to see what they could do, and dramatically upgraded the D. So, the QB waits a year longer. They'll fin in a few spots on the D, add a few more OL and QB next year, and get their QB. And then the rebuilding of the roster will be mostly complete.

This was going to take 2-3 years after the carnage of the Vinny years. QB just wasn't the high priority this year. Grossman can keep the team competitive, but he won't get them to the promise land.

You maybe right I hope we get RGIII he would fit this offense to a TEE. I also think he could start day one and be better than Rex. Especially if we can get some stud OLine that can help open up the run game.

I pretty much agree with this. If Rex can't hit the deep ball every now and then, we're in some trouble this year. It always seems like he's throwing the deep ball about a second too late. I'm not going to pretend to have any clue as to why that is. He did it with Davis last week and Moss this week. If throws those balls a little sooner, I think our guys score long TDs. I also think if he puts that one throw to Austin into the back corner (more accurately, if he's ABLE to), it's a TD catch.

I'm not piling on Rex, but there are some things he can't do too well. I wouldn't have thought this to be the case a couple weeks ago, but I can certainly see a situation in which we go to Beck at some point this year. If the bye wasn't so early in the season, I'd pick that week as the possible change, but I don't think Rex will do enough to play himself out of the starting position next week. I think he might play just fine (which he has been...as I've said if 250 yards and 1 TD is your WORST game, you're doing something right).

The tough thing is trying to determine what he's leaving on the field.

I don't think the loss was on Grossman, but on the playcalling. We need a balanced attack, if we just abandon the running game as we did after our TD then both Beck and Grossman will struggle. This loss is on Kyle Shanahan for lousy play-calling and Haslett for that stupidly risky call on 3rd and 21.

Give Rex a break... He was decent when he had time to throw(besides the one pick)... The pass protection broke down in both 2 minute drills of the game.

Agreed.....Rex is not Tom Brady....so please dont act like he is....he did a GOOD job @ Dallas on Monday Night....we should have and could have won. This is a new Skins team.....I like Rex, and i think his teammates do as well

As I've told countless people Beck just sees the field better and the team seems to play harder for Beck...nothing more to say

Hilarious.

Beck was better than I thought in preseason but one of his biggest weaknesses was that he didn't see the field well at all.

Beck does have a better arm though. But everywhere he's gone he's shown he's afraid to use it. Probably because he doesn't trust his deep ball accuracy. JC had/has the same problem.

Rex is 2-1. Let's all relax. Our longterm answer at QB -- if we're lucky to find one -- isn't on the roster. But Rex is capable of winning games.

I won't trash Grossman, I think he is a serviceable QB that will make some great throws at times..and can't make others...take the good with the bad. I agree he can't make all the throws...He has guts, and a short memory, yet is limited physically and mentally in some regards. Beyond his int's or fumbles..I just hate his accuracy. There are so many plays that if he threw the ball accurately the receiver would get 10-20 more yards or score possibly if the ball wasn't high, or low, or behind them. Even when he's on, he's off if that makes sense. lol

The thing about Rex is that he reminds me somewhat of Jason Campbell, in that it seems once the ball is snapped, if everything falls into place, the pass protection, the routes, the out-manned defense, then Campbell was capable of making a pretty good play. I attribute it to him being in the Kyle Shannahan offense for three years. He knows the scheme itself, when the ball is snapped, inside Rex's head he knows exactly where all the pieces should be falling into place. However that doesn't translate into him having the physical attributes to make it actually happen on the field.

Grossman seems the same way. At isolated times, he drops back, seems calm and collected and delivers the ball to the open WR right where he should, but I have noticed that he is not a QB that can make those "extra" things happen.

He will never be a QB that can buy extra time for either the O-line, or the receivers to break off routes and find a way to get open.

He will never be a QB that can avoid the pressure. Not necessarily by scrambling, but merely taking a few steps to the left or right or stepping forward. aka being Elusive.

He will hasn't been (won't say never to this one YET) a QB that shows he can hit receivers wide open down field in stride, which turns regular long completions into TDs

He will never be a QB that feels the pressure and protects the ball. I think the sample size we have on him is big enough now to say it decisively.

With all that said, I am not trying to say Rex is an awful QB, I am just trying to explain why I think there is a ceiling with him, and if fans can see it from watching games, I am damn sure the coaches know it, but as coaches, it doesn't matter cause they still need to run the plays for the sake of the rest of the team learning them so when we do get that QB, the rest of the team will be as helpful as possible working them into the system. I mean just imagine if we had a new QB, new to the system AND the rest of the team was also in the first year of the offense? It would look horrendous on the field, could get the QB shell-shocked.

Maybe this comparison will make you laugh:

If being a complete NFL QB could be explained via the 8 legs of an Octopus, I would say Rex Grossman is about a 4-5 legged Octopus, who is missing the other 3-4 legs. He might be able to survive in the Ocean, and have his days in the sun, but eventually, not having all 8 legs is going to catch up once the other fish & creatures in the sea clamp down and start attacking.

Rex is who he is. To expect him to make a complete transformation is ridiculous at this point in his career. I don't think he'll have a 4 int game anytime soon but fumbling is an issue for him. He has believe 13 turnovers in 6 games as a starter in Washington and to expect anything different goign forward would be naive. I don't dislike the guy and I find myself rooting for him because you can see by his demeanor with the media that he knows what people say about him and has taken a public beating in the media. It would be great if he could prove everyone wrong, but that's just not realistic. His arm strength on the deep passes just isn't there, he struggles on throws to the hashmarks, and has no mobility, and he's a fumbling machine. He can do some things well, but to me he is an ideal back-up. he can give you 3-4 solid relief games and can win at least half of them for you but over time DC's will figure out his limitations and it would limit us from running our full offense to its potential. Beck hasn't proven anything in real action, but his preseason action showed that at worst he can be serviceable and his brings the ability to throw the ball deep, and move in & outside of the pocket. Over the longhaul of this season, I just think having that threat in the passing game is needed and can make us a more complete offense.

im behind Rex but his arm is obviously weak, he has no zip on the ball, the ball floats almost every pass..and whats worse is when he is moving out of the pocket, his arm becomes weaker. The best ball he's thrown as a redskin was last year vs Giants to Armstrong. (wheres that arm?) As was stated, receivers have to wait on his throws. He can manage the game but his arm strength his a huge liability. Anyway lets shoot for 3-1

You guys ***** more then my girl. We are 2-1 we lost away at Dallas by 2 pts a game we could have won, ball didn't bounce our way. Grossman looked ok but made an unfortunate play in crunch time. I'm pretty sure Romo sits to pee did this two weeks ago now he is a warrior national hero. Puke. Truth is we always split Dallas it's a part of the rivalry. Grossman is fine and so is d hall Kyle and haslett. Cuz more times and not these guys will be responsible for our new era wins. You could have campbell, the bingo caller, Greg blatche, and Carlos stone hands rOdgers .

Give Rex a break... He was decent when he had time to throw(besides the one pick)... The pass protection broke down in both 2 minute drills of the game.

Exactly. He kept us in that game. Our RBs couldn't find space, Fred Davis disappeared, and DHall got pushed around by a huge WR all night. Hence, we lose.

Edit- Not to mention we couldn't stop Felix Jones.

I'd consider the 3 TDs and 350+ yards part possibly to be.

Also it wouldn't be the first time Rex has thrown 4 INTs in a game.

So let me get this straight. It's more realistic for Rex to throw for 50 yards and have 4 INTs than throwing for 350+ and 3TDs? That makes sense.

Archived