Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we take anything away from Cam's big day?

gortiz

I am under the thinking that Cam's big day against the Arizona is more than just a abberation or fools gold.

There have to be some real weaknesses in Arizona's secondary that we can exploit and I do not think they are going to fix them in one week.

Am I nuts?

I know that I have been burned before using this logic. I think a few years ago the cards were brutally stacked in our favor to take advantage of a teams weakness and we got burned, sorry can't remember the game or "weak" spot for that team.

Anyone got the skinny on Cam's big day and Arizona's secondary? Did anyone see it?

There were several times where there wasn’t a Cardinal defender within five yards of a Carolina receiver.

By the end of the third quarter, the Panthers were moving the ball at will with the Cardinals’ pass coverage being non-existent.

Two rookie cornerbacks are ill equipped to handle NFL offenses. If they were dominated by Cam Newton, when faced with a more capable quarterback they will be completely overmatched.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/845208-arizona-cardinals-secondary-leaves-much-to-be-desired

You can't ignore it, but if anything, I think it probably improves our prospects for those outside runs we like. If they want to follow around speedsters like Moss and Armstrong while covering Gaffney, Cooley, and Davis, it'll be at the expense of a running back with a bit of a chip on his shoulder for Arizona.

If we are a good team, we will win this game. End of story.

Smith's 77 yd TD came on a blown coverage by Adrian Wilson - we're installing a new defense and he hadn't played all preseason. He was supposed to roll over to help FS Kerry Rhodes while Peterson blitzed off of Steve Smith and just didn't.

AJ Jefferson, our second year corner out of Fresno St.(first year as a starter) actually had decent coverage for a guy making his first career start. Patrick Peterson got abused by Smith at times, he is very talented, but played almost exclusively zone coverage at LSU and is now being asked to play mostly man.

They were testing our corners for sure throwing outside the numbers a lot. Used TEs Shockey and Olsen a lot too (not sure who was assigned to them, FS Rhodes part of the time at least). Newton threw two picks over the middle to ILB Daryl Washington (over the middle) into traffic. One was officially negated by a phantom roughing the passer call.

Kerry Rhodes, the FS played near pro-bowl caliber last year, but had a bad game week 1. Was caught out of position a few times when covering TEs.

It should be noted that he Cardinals notched 4 sacks with one additional sack also erroneously negated by the officials (Newton was wrapped up by Joey Porter, driving him backwards for 2+ seconds, but he got the ball off later and the officials called it an incompletion). Horton, the DC said that he had his front 7 focused on lane assignments to prevent Newton from running (which they did succesfully), so a less mobile QB like Grossman should allow them to tee off more.

Should be an interesting matchup!

Smith's 77 yd TD came on a blown coverage by Adrian Wilson - we're installing a new defense and he hadn't played all preseason. He was supposed to roll over to help FS Kerry Rhodes while Peterson blitzed off of Steve Smith and just didn't.

damn brother, thanks for the recap ...

sounds like cooley and davis might cause some damage.

I wouldn't expect Rex to throw for 400 yards if that is what you mean. Lets all take into account as well that Week 1 in the NFL across the board is usually the sloppiest week of football for the entire seasons. You will probably see more busted coverages, bad tackling, missed tackling, sloppy routes etc etc etc....it's just the way it is.

Despite scoring 28 points I felt the 'Skins left some potential points on the field as well with a few key drops that would have put them inside the redzone. Add a missed Gano FG that should be a gimmie due to his leg strength and the 'Skins put up at least 31 points.

It's all speculation.

The one thing that isn't speculation is the fact that traditionally West coast teams that fly east and have to play the morning game usually do not fare well. Of course this is in general because we've seen it happen before (embarrassing loss to Rams at home a couple seasons ago).

The Cardinals are a big play offense. I think they key to beating them will be to not let Fitzgerald beat us, and get QB Pressure on Kolb. Regardless of what people think Kolb may or not may not be down the road, the fact is he has a total of what 5 NFL starts? If the 'Skins can put a decent amount of pressure on him, and disguise their coverages well, he is bound to make mistakes due merely to inexperience.

Anyone got the skinny on Cam's big day and Arizona's secondary? Did anyone see it?
I watched some during commercial breaks.

It looked like the Cards were blitzing a lot and playing man-to-man behind it.

Oh and Cam has a jugs machine attached to his arm.

When Steve Smith met Patrick Peterson one on one he whispered one word: toast

But there's this tonight:

9:30 PM NFL REPLAY:

CAR vs. ARI Carolina Panthers vs. Arizona Cardinals (09/11/11) - Kevin Kolb carries his new team to victory as the Cardinals defeat the upstart Panthers, 28-21. Kolb's 309 yards and two touchdowns are enough to edge out Cam Newtown in his NFL debut. Newton tosses two touchdowns on 422 yards passing, becoming the first rookie to pass for more than 400 yards in his first start.

Things almost never go as they seemingly should. Newton's success was largely due to blown coverages and a decision to force Newton to pass, as the running game was absolutely clogged. The Cards will not take this same approach this week as they know Grossman is capable of beating man to man.

But I think the Cards will be encouraged by the pressure the Giants created. Bad Rex appears when he is flustered and forced to make extremely quick decisions. I'd look for Hightower to have much more success and Grossman to come back down to earth with a 220 yard passing game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQOZAodKdGw

That was an ugly throw. But the coverage was so awful, it really didn't matter. Now I am pretty sure the Cards will play better, but I am expecting our offense to have a respectable day on Sunday.

My problem is what are we going to do with Larry Fitzgerald. I hope Hall eats his Wheaties Sunday morning............

That Cam has a cannon for an arm, can move, and probably will not be hoping for Luck at the end of the year.

I don't agree with the blown coverage excuse because then we should downplay Brady's 99yd TD pass, etc last night after it was analyzed just now on Espn NFL live.

QB's should get credit for taking advantage of opportunities they are presented.

Here is what I can take away from this game: Even if Carolina has the worst record, they won't be drafting a QB next year. That is good for us.

As for the Colts game - I see them in the running for Luck now.

You really still believe this team is going to be in the range of having one of the first 4 draft picks.

That was an ugly throw. But the coverage was so awful, it really didn't matter. Now I am pretty sure the Cards will play better, but I am expecting our offense to have a respectable day on Sunday.

My problem is what are we going to do with Larry Fitzgerald. I hope Hall eats his Wheaties Sunday morning............

you would expect the cards pass D adjust a little right? i still dont think it will be enough to stop rex though, he should eat up that secondary. and if they scheme to stop the pass, it should open up the running game. someone's gonna have a big day for the skins.

and yes, fitz will be a problem. you know when kolb gets pressured he is just gonna loft it up to fitzgerald, hopefully hall and atogwe play hard.

Watched a lot of the Cards -Panthers game as, being in Charlotte, the game was on the bar tv right next to the Skins game. What I took away from it is that BOTH teams have terrible defenses. the Cards blitzed on like 75% of their D snaps, and their back line couldn't hold up against Steve Smith and the nobodys. Cards LBs looked very weak also, look for Timmy H. to run wild.

Panthers, on the other hand, are even worse than the Cards. The kittens may have THE WORST D-line in the NFL in many years. Also, their back 4 is mediocre, at best. Gamble and Godfrey are ok (when Gamble wants to play) but the other two would not start for any other NFL team. Panther LBs are very good, but they lost Beason for the season. Glad Skins get to play them also!

It will help if Landry returns. I'd love to see who our complete starting secondary does, for the first time this year.

The key to Kolb is getting pressure on him, he's a very good QB when no one's in his face, but put up a decent pass rush and he crumbles. You can look at the games last season, if the other team got a decent amount of hits on him, sacks or not, his production dropped dramatically.

I'm excited for the game, but I'm hoping our team doesn't overlook them, that's been our achilles heel the last few years. We win games against teams we shouldn't, and we lose to teams we shouldn't.

It will help if Landry returns. I'd love to see who our complete starting secondary does, for the first time this year.

The key to Kolb is getting pressure on him, he's a very good QB when no one's in his face, but put up a decent pass rush and he crumbles. You can look at the games last season, if the other team got a decent amount of hits on him, sacks or not, his production dropped dramatically.

I'm excited for the game, but I'm hoping our team doesn't overlook them, that's been our achilles heel the last few years. We win games against teams we shouldn't, and we lose to teams we shouldn't.

To me Kolb hasn't earned the title very good QB under any situation. His best games were against the 49ers last year and the Panthers this year. Not exactly resume highlights.

AJ Jefferson, our second year corner out of Fresno St.(first year as a starter) actually had decent coverage for a guy making his first career start. Patrick Peterson got abused by Smith at times, he is very talented, but played almost exclusively zone coverage at LSU and is now being asked to play mostly man.

They were testing our corners for sure throwing outside the numbers a lot. Used TEs Shockey and Olsen a lot too (not sure who was assigned to them, FS Rhodes part of the time at least). Newton threw two picks over the middle to ILB Daryl Washington (over the middle) into traffic. One was officially negated by a phantom roughing the passer call.

Kerry Rhodes, the FS played near pro-bowl caliber last year, but had a bad game week 1. Was caught out of position a few times when covering TEs.

It should be noted that he Cardinals notched 4 sacks with one additional sack also erroneously negated by the officials (Newton was wrapped up by Joey Porter, driving him backwards for 2+ seconds, but he got the ball off later and the officials called it an incompletion). Horton, the DC said that he had his front 7 focused on lane assignments to prevent Newton from running (which they did succesfully), so a less mobile QB like Grossman should allow them to tee off more.

Should be an interesting matchup!

Good info. As you say it will be interesting to see what Arizona can do without having to worry about a QB who can run. Peterson will make some rookie mistakes, but that's a guy we don't want to pick on too often, because he will make a big play sooner or later. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a big return this week too.

It must have been frustrating to be a cards fan this week (after Sunday, I mean). You pull out a thrilling 4th quarter victory in the first start of your highly touted but unproven qb after a major offseason trade, and all anyone's talking about is Cam. Look for highlights, you get the Peterson punt return and the rest is Cam. How did Kolb do? I have no idea, all I hear is Cam Cam Cam. I swear, the way people (and by people, I mean ESPN et al) are talking about this game you'd hardly know that Carolina lost.

Lessons for next week:

The Cardinals CBs are young and mistake prone. They're good, but they can make mental errors. Be patient, force them to play well all game, and always hit the WR that has the entire D beat by 10 yards.

Lessons for later in the season against Newton:

Don't play a Cover-0 and blitz every down while forgetting to cover Steve ****ing Smith. Don't assume Newton will run on every play. Also, cover Steve Smith.

Archived