Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Daniel Snyder on being a marked man

hail2skins

You're living in an idealistic world that just doesn't represent reality if you really think that. For the overwhelming majority of fans wins and losses are the only thing that shape their perception of an owner. A humble, thoughtful owner is not going to be well-liked if the team is regularly sub-par. Conversely, a crass, boastful, and impetuous owner who wins championships is going to be loved even if no one who knows the man personally or roots for an opposing fan can stand him.

This. Wonderfully said and 100% accurate.

When in the press box at the last preseason game, I was told how much better the food and the presentation is since Bruce took over. Hopefully Bruce will continue to have influence on the entire organization and how it conducts itself.

When I attended the Bucs/Skins playoff game in '05.... in Tampa.... the spread for the press box was amazing. Nothing compared.

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 09:09 PM ----------

The press box ( WHERE REPORTERS SIT AND EAT FOR FREE) and slam Danny at every turn, complain that that there are no lobster tails at the buffet, is your indication of an owners class?

I went to cover a Cardinals game in Arizona (Sun Devil Stadium). And the spread was embarrassingly cheap. Nachos and self-servce ice cream. The Bidwell's reputation lived up to it's billing.

Obviously, it doesn't tell the *whole* story. But it certainly tells part of the picture of the way an organization is run.

Some organizations are first class. The players know of it... they speak of it. There's a reason. It's about everything.... from the bottom up. No details are spared.

When I attended the Bucs/Skins playoff game in '05.... in Tampa.... the spread for the press box was amazing. Nothing compared.

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 09:09 PM ----------

I went to cover a Cardinals game in Arizona (Sun Devil Stadium). And the spread was embarrassingly cheap. Nachos and self-servce ice cream. The Bidwell's reputation lived up to it's billing.

Obviously, it doesn't tell the *whole* story. But it certainly tells part of the picture of the way an organization is run.

Some organizations are first class. The players know of it... they speak of it. There's a reason. It's about everything.... from the bottom up. No details are spared.

Do you really think that players who have received gobs of Danny's money care if a newspaper hack has to pour his own ice cream?

Not sure where the media gets a sense of entitlement. They certainly have not done this team any favors.

Winning solves everything.

If Dan Snyder had assembled his "dream team" of aging veterans and they'd won a Super Bowl, no one would complain. I'm not saying he hasn't made mistakes. I'm not saying he didn't have a tendency to let the inmates run the asylum, because he did. He's done some downright stupid crap in his tenure as owner.

But winning solves everything. If the Redskins had a Super Bowl or two, I reckon none of it would matter. We'd be winning. Our owner would still be a douche, but he'd be a winning douche.

Basically, he'd be Jerry Jones. And as someone pointed out, Cowboy fans are only now coming around on the fact that Jerry's moves over the years have done more harm to the football team than good.

Dan's not perfect, but I doubt anyone would care if we were winning games.

Do you really think that players who have received gobs of Danny's money care if a newspaper hack has to pour his own ice cream?

Not sure where the media gets a sense of entitlement. They certainly have not done this team any favors.

As DH said, its part of the details.

First class organizations don't miss any details, including how they treat the press in the press box.

A few examples

The "you have to get a Mastercard to purchase your season tickets" fiasco back in 2005.

The charging for training camp fiasco

The no signs fiasco in 2009.

The constant monetezation of the Redskins goodwill that was built by George Allen, JKC and Joe Gibbs from 1972-1991 (5 NFC Championships in that period)

Gauging the fans for every single penny possible.

And just the incredible lack of PR saavy whatsoever. Its quite frankly embarrassing.

Look, I love the Redskins and always will despite the antics of the owner the past decade. Just because a guy finally appears to be doing the right thing the last 20 months doesn't change whats transpired the last 12 years. And it will take a long long time for that reputation to go away

Being an NFL owner isn't hard. Hire bright people, sign the checks and get the hell out of the way. And realize who is making you even richer and cater to them: the fans

An organization is a "group" with its own distinct set of core values, beliefs, etc(aka it has its own "culture"). These factors can permeate to the tangible level and can have a pronounced effect on the success or failure of the organization.

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 10:09 PM ----------

Winning solves everything.

If Dan Snyder had assembled his "dream team" of aging veterans and they'd won a Super Bowl, no one would complain. I'm not saying he hasn't made mistakes. I'm not saying he didn't have a tendency to let the inmates run the asylum, because he did. He's done some downright stupid crap in his tenure as owner.

But winning solves everything. If the Redskins had a Super Bowl or two, I reckon none of it would matter. We'd be winning. Our owner would still be a douche, but he'd be a winning douche.

Basically, he'd be Jerry Jones. And as someone pointed out, Cowboy fans are only now coming around on the fact that Jerry's moves over the years have done more harm to the football team than good.

Dan's not perfect, but I doubt anyone would care if we were winning games.

Ah, but winning doesn't happen without the proper enivronment and triggerman. Jerruh had Jimmy Johnson fetch those Super Bowls for him. Jimmy Johnson made it happen for the Cowboys through accumulating a ton of talent and establishing a culture for the players that had the principle "perform well or you're ****ed".

Dan Snyder isolated the Redskins from its past and fostered a culture of "come here to get paid, not play". He also hired incompetents(even Gibbs' player personnel decisions were suboptimal, i.e Lloyd and Duckett) to run the show. It's only after Dan Snyder hired Allen and Shanahan to be his "CEOs" that the organization is turning it around. In short, his past decisions would NEVER have landed us a Super Bowl. Not enough talent and a ****ty culture.

Wow that interview was harsh

If the guy for once owned up to specific mistakes, not "I have made mistakes, I was young and learned" and admitted he was wrong with things, and maybe explained things, his reputation would take a bump up.

If he stays the hell out of the way for the next 20 years, doesn't try and gauge the fans anytime there is success (see the 2006 ticket price increase after the 2005 playoff run) and sticks with the Allen/Shanahan game plan, people will actually like the guy

If the guy for once owned up to specific mistakes, not "I have made mistakes, I was young and learned" and admitted he was wrong with things, and maybe explained things, his reputation would take a bump up.

If he stays the hell out of the way for the next 20 years, doesn't try and gauge the fans anytime there is success (see the 2006 ticket price increase after the 2005 playoff run) and sticks with the Allen/Shanahan game plan, people will actually like the guy

Isn't that what he's started to do? He's started to admit several mistakes. Didn't he admit Haynesworth was a mistake he wished could've worked out? What difference does it makes if he collectively admits he made mistakes or if he goes through and lists the mistakes individually? It doesn't make the mistakes he made any less dumb to own up to them one on one.

Fact is, the people who hate Dan today will be the people who hate him 20 years from now, even if they add Super Bowl trophies to their case. It'll always be said it was in spite of him, not because of him, and then someone will mention signing Dana Stubblefield. As an owner, no matter what he's does, people will always knock him for what he did in the past.

Isn't that what he's started to do? He's started to admit several mistakes. Didn't he admit Haynesworth was a mistake he wished could've worked out? What difference does it makes if he collectively admits he made mistakes or if he goes through and lists the mistakes individually? It doesn't make the mistakes he made any less dumb to own up to them one on one.

Fact is, the people who hate Dan today will be the people who hate him 20 years from now, even if they add Super Bowl trophies to their case. It'll always be said it was in spite of him, not because of him, and then someone will mention signing Dana Stubblefield. As an owner, no matter what he's does, people will always knock him for what he did in the past.

Not quite. The Vinny era needs some serious explaining. Come on, :wtf:

:ols:

If in 20 years he does what he has done in the past 20 months, I won't have complaints. Superbowls are very hard to win, as long as the team has a competent professional organization that competes on the field, and runs itself right off the field, I'll be happy.

And Dana Stubblefield :ols:

I hope you are joking about that since most haters don't seem to remember that was a John Kent Cooke/Charley Casserly move a good 15 months before Dan took over the Redskins

Redskins Owner Dan Snyder on Being a Marked Man

By ANDREW GOLDMAN

Published: September 8, 2011

Blue = NYTimes. Pink = Snyder. White = Me

You created a billion-dollar business, which made a mint in direct marketing, but since buying the Redskins in 1999, you have been losing a major P.R. war. There has been this constant drumbeat of negative stories about you.

You mean overkill? I think the media overblows most things. My father was a University of Missouri journalism grad, and when he was alive, he’d say, “At U.P.I., we weren’t allowed to do what they’re doing on the Internet, putting stuff out whether it’s true or not.”

In other words "Lies! It's all lies!" Yeah right, Danny boy.

Is it really overkill? If I can be honest with you, I’ve spoken to several lifelong Redskins fans who are so distraught about your ownership that they say the only way to save the team is for you to sell it or even die.

Well, when you’re losing, that’s what they wish. When you’re winning, they think you’re doing a great job. We haven’t been in the playoffs since the ’07 season. I think you need to realize it’s binary.

Yes it's binary: Snyder involved in football matters = losing. Snyder not as involved is football matters = winning.

George Steinbrenner once said, “Having people scream nasty things at you is part of sports.” Do you agree?

Yes. Actually, in 2000, George Steinbrenner called after Tony Kornheiser had written a piece about me that he had noticed. After that, he would send me kind notes, very funny notes, actually. One year we were struggling, and he said to me: “When you get it right, you’ll know. Heck, they used to boo me, and then they gave me parades.”

"Getting it right" probably means something different than Snyder thinks it does.

Earlier this year, you sued The Washington City Paper for publishing “The Cranky Redskins Fan’s Guide to Dan Snyder,” which, among other things, claimed that your company had engaged in some shady business practices. Have you read the article?

No.

Dramatization of lawyer(left) attempting to show Snyder(right) the "Guide to Snyder" article:

dracula.jpg

How could you sue without reading the piece?

Because I heard all the details. But the entire piece? I’m not going to read that.

So Dan Snyder = puppet? Or just failing badly at transparent PR response?

You accused the paper of anti-Semitism because it scribbled horns and a beard on a picture of you. By that logic, any 8-year-old who defaces a teacher’s photograph is anti-Semitic.

That’s your opinion. But it really angered me. It’s not nice.

How could a pic from an article he didn't read, anger him? "Not nice" is running a telemarketing operation, calling cancer patients and diabetics "marketing segments", and making tons of money running a proud franchise into the ground.

Had you not sued, I probably wouldn’t have come across the piece. Do you think it was a tactical error to sue them?

Possibly. But at the end of the day, you can’t call someone a criminal when they’re absolutely not. What’s right is right, and what’s wrong is wrong. And I think they were just wrong. I mean, all we asked for, and continue to, is a simple apology, a simple correction.

Starts to show some sense, wait Snyder are you saying your old company wasn't forced to settle with Florida, for engaging in shady illegal practices while you were in charge......thought so.

You’ve started a green program to install solar panels atop FedEx Field and provide stations where fans can plug in their electric cars. You’re a Republican. Does this mean that, unlike most of the presidential field, you believe in global warming and the danger of greenhouse gases?

This has nothing to do with politics. It’s about the future. And if you look at what we’ve done, I mean, it is mind-boggling to me, No. 1, how beautiful it is. And just think, if you’re driving here with your Chevy Volt, we have pumps so we can pump you right there. That is too cool.

Good answer. Though there has to be wind turbine and/or natural gas resources available from Snyder's other answers so far.

If I could give you a do-over on any one decision that you think would benefit the team, what would it be?

There’d be more than one.

Wrong. Just changing Snyder's decision to buy the team would fix the other decisions.

You want to? I’m feeling generous?

No. Really what I’m trying to do is look forward.

Sues an article he didn't read, got angry over a pic from the same article, says he could use a do-over to benefit the team but can't name one. Again, is Dan Snyder a puppet or just failing badly at PR?

Have the Redskins ever made you cry?

Losing to Seattle in 2006 did. I thought that was our year.

Second good answer this interview.

The Redskins are worth about twice as much as you bought them for. Why not say: “The hell with it. I’m taking the money and getting out of town”?

Because I really believe that there’s nothing like this. And the experience of turning things around is a wonderful thing. And we will turn this into a winner, a perpetual winner, a team that the fans will be proud of.

Translation: "The authorities busted my telemarketing operation, I helped run Six Flags into the ground, how else can I make money?"

And you were a huge fan of the team growing up.

I still am a huge Redskins fan. I’m just like any fan watching the game, cheering my heart out.

So the reason you aren't calling for your head, like the rest of Redskins fans, is because...?

Your seats are probably better.

The visiting owner’s box tends to be above the bleachers. Some of them are quite high up.

Meh.

He clearly has no idea why the fans hate him.

Hate???? Strong word!!!! I definitely don't hate him, In fact I wouldn't want no other owner. You gotta crawl before you walk. Yea he has made mistakes; he has learned and things are better. With his passion and love for our team how could you not like him. I love the dude.

Edit: and yes wiinning solves everything, if it ever happens watch all the I love Dan people come out.

I don't know why he agreed to do that interview. Didn't seem to even be structured in a way that could have benefitted him.

As for winning curing everything I disagree partially. Winning will put the casual fans in his corner and the homers that already love him will scream louder. Those, like me, that don't believe he understands what his role should be will need to see him handle a transition or three. What happens when Shanahan leaves? We thought we knew the answer to "what happens when Joe Gibbs leaves" and we got friggin Zorn! He hired Vinny Cerrato. Twice. What happens when Bruce Allen leaves? Do we see the return of Snyder playing a major role in the front office again if his GM or Coach aren't big names?

Dan's done a lot of damage to his reputation but not so much he can't undo it. If he really has learned his lesson this will take if itself and he won't need superbowls. Just win more than lose, transition between coaching/GM regimes smoothly, and stay in the background.

What happens when Shanahan leaves? We thought we knew the answer to "what happens when Joe Gibbs leaves" and we got friggin Zorn! He hired Vinny Cerrato. Twice. What happens when Bruce Allen leaves? Do we see the return of Snyder playing a major role in the front office again if his GM or Coach aren't big names?

We already saw what happens when they leave but hopefully he doesn't decide again that he's learned enough to be a GM/Owner.

The best thing about the current situation compared to when Gibbs was here is that there are 2 proven NFL people in the top group of 3 with him. With Gibbs it was two buffoons+Gibbs. Even someone as great as Gibbs would be persuaded by the other two in a lot of the decisions at the time I believe.

Hopefully Allen and Shanahan don't even consider his ideas of who they should go after or who they should draft. It couldn't be any better than the average ES member dreaming up crap every offseason. Remember, they did try to trade away a lot of picks for Ocho Cinco and Briggs, oh and Cutler as well. I wont even get into the horrible deals that Snyderatto did make.

Do you really think that players who have received gobs of Danny's money care if a newspaper hack has to pour his own ice cream? Not sure where the media gets a sense of entitlement. They certainly have not done this team any favors.

You've COMPLETELY missed the point.

Regardless of the media and it's message... it's NOT about the people in the press box. It's just about *people* period.

It's how you present yourself to others. It's how you treat other people.... fans, players, coaches, administration, media, etc. Your actions, as a business, reflect your values.

And it's not that hard to tell the difference between a well-run organization and those that aren't.

But I'm not going to apologize for wishing my team was run as a first-class organization. I can live that that... even during on-field "losing"... because that's still something to hang your hat on and enjoy being part of. Losing becomes a little more tolerable. Winning a Super Bowl is a rarity... so there has to be other standards from which to achieve. And winning inevitably comes by setting standards high and doing things the right way.

Pride goes beyond *winning* games. And I'd like to get back to that.

There's just something dirty about every player that leaves this organization..... and spews hatred and negative comments about everything about the organization. And the worst part is when you know they're actually right.

It's gotten pretty embarrassing.

---------- Post added September-10th-2011 at 10:52 AM ----------

Remember when we were all fooled after the Joe Gibbs experience that he was hired to help Snyder with football and operational knowledge/skills/ability and how we thought he had taught Snyder how to be a "good owner"?

And then after Gibbs retires, he promptly hires another puppet of a coach (Zorn) that he could manipulate and returns back to his own ways of organizational dysfunction (firing the HC from his OC duties?!).

With that being said, I think "fandom" during the Zorn years hit an all-time low..... and I believe he was cognizant of that and admitted to himself that it required an organizational overhaul with strong football men to gain the trust of the fans back.

Just like Gibbs.... he HAS to stay out of the way now... especially because Shanahan has created such good will among the players, coaches and fans.... that if Snyder fired him/Allen.. I think it might get to the point of no return and he'd lose this franchise entirely.

However, that's not to say that after Shanahan eventually leaves.... if there isn't a succession plan in place... that Snyder won't ride a wave of goodwill and attempt to regain control again. Simply can't put it past him any more.

You've COMPLETELY missed the point.

Regardless of the media and it's message... it's NOT about the people in the press box. It's just about *people* period.

It's how you present yourself to others. It's how you treat other people.... fans, players, coaches, administration, media, etc. Your actions, as a business, reflect your values.

And it's not that hard to tell the difference between a well-run organization and those that aren't.

But I'm not going to apologize for wishing my team was run as a first-class organization. I can live that that... even during on-field "losing"... because that's still something to hang your hat on and enjoy being part of. Losing becomes a little more tolerable. Winning a Super Bowl is a rarity... so there has to be other standards from which to achieve. And winning inevitably comes by setting standards high and doing things the right way.

Pride goes beyond *winning* games. And I'd like to get back to that.

There's just something dirty about every player that leaves this organization..... and spews hatred and negative comments about everything about the organization. And the worst part is when you know they're actually right.

It's gotten pretty embarrassing.

---------- Post added September-10th-2011 at 10:52 AM ----------

Remember when we were all fooled after the Joe Gibbs experience that he was hired to help Snyder with football and operational knowledge/skills/ability and how we thought he had taught Snyder how to be a "good owner"?

And then after Gibbs retires, he promptly hires another puppet of a coach (Zorn) that he could manipulate and returns back to his own ways of organizational dysfunction (firing the HC from his OC duties?!).

With that being said, I think "fandom" during the Zorn years hit an all-time low..... and I believe he was cognizant of that and admitted to himself that it required an organizational overhaul with strong football men to gain the trust of the fans back.

Just like Gibbs.... he HAS to stay out of the way now... especially because Shanahan has created such good will among the players, coaches and fans.... that if Snyder fired him/Allen.. I think it might get to the point of no return and he'd lose this franchise entirely.

However, that's not to say that after Shanahan eventually leaves.... if there isn't a succession plan in place... that Snyder won't ride a wave of goodwill and attempt to regain control again. Simply can't put it past him any more.

I dont think I missed the point at all.

The post I was replying to related years of mis management and your completey valid points to the quality of free food provided to reporters.

With all the bad decisions Danny has made in owning and managing this team, the quality of food provided reporters is far down my list of what needs to be fixed.

With all the bad decisions Danny has made in owning and managing this team, the quality of food provided reporters is far down my list of what needs to be fixed.

It looks like you point was addressed in the post you quoted.

I don't know why he agreed to do that interview. Didn't seem to even be structured in a way that could have benefitted him.

This, from the bottom of the article, probably explains it:

"INTERVIEW HAS BEEN CONDENSED AND EDITED."

I'm curious as to what exactly was "condensed and edited" out of the actual interview lol...

Agreed. And I don't think anyone else would argue.

All we're doing is sharing a bit of information that we have, first-hand experience, that attests to the original point. That's all. I don't think anyone is arguing any different :)

The sad thing is that people who hate Dan Snyder are so insecure and or hurting with their own lives that the use him to vent or beat down on him, it really shows the true character of some of our fans unfortunately.

This is one of the dumber comments I've ever read on this board.

So to clarify...

The press box ( WHERE REPORTERS SIT AND EAT FOR FREE) and slam Danny at every turn, complain that that there are no lobster tails at the buffet, is your indication of an owners class?

Yes. Yes, that's exactly what he was saying. Nailed it.

Archived