Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Daniel Snyder on being a marked man

hail2skins

Andrew Goldman: Had you not sued, I probably wouldn’t have come across the piece. Do you think it was a tactical error to sue them?
Dan Snyder: Possibly. But at the end of the day, you can’t call someone a criminal when they’re absolutely not. What’s right is right, and what’s wrong is wrong. And I think they were just wrong. I mean, all we asked for, and continue to, is a simple apology, a simple correction.

Well....the definition of inconsistancy here. Good post and not a bad piece. It makes him look good and bad, but you can easily get the sense that he gets it now.

Thanks for the read!

HAIL!

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 01:20 PM ----------

Goldman: If I could give you a do-over on any one decision that you think would benefit the team, what would it be?
Snyder: There’d be more than one.

I love this. Good job, Dan.

wow, I had never read the Cranky Redskins fan guide before. That's funny, and tragically sad.

EDIT: This one is hilarious. Snyder seems like a terrible guy, but his sense of humor is kinda funny.

Vanilla: Flavor of ice cream that Snyder left to thaw in defensive coordinator Mike Nolan’s office TWICE in one season to let the coach know the owner felt his schemes were simplistic, or vanilla. John Feinstein wrote that Snyder’s second delivery, after a loss to Dallas, consisted of “three giant canisters of melting 31 Flavors ice cream” and a note that said “I do not like vanilla.”

"Well, when you’re losing, that’s what they wish. When you’re winning, they think you’re doing a great job. We haven’t been in the playoffs since the ’07 season. I think you need to realize it’s binary."

Clearly, this guy hasn't learned anything.

lol, on que.

How does that show that he hasn't learned anything?

He clearly has no idea why the fans hate him.

His statement is not that far off the mark.....

When you lose, no one is your friend... when you win, you can't beat them out of your house.

Reminds me of Petitbone.... He was loved here in DC until he took over as head coach, had a losing season and then everyone spouted crap about him.

Agree.

It isn't about winning and losing only. Its about having the organization conduct its business in a professional and classy manner.

This hasn't happened, until very recently, under Mr. Snyder.

When in the press box at the last preseason game, I was told how much better the food and the presentation is since Bruce took over. Hopefully Bruce will continue to have influence on the entire organization and how it conducts itself.

The 2009 debacle is still going to take some time to get over

When you lose, no one is your friend... when you win, you can't beat them out of your house.

Reminds me of Petitbone.... He was loved here in DC until he took over as head coach, had a losing season and then everyone spouted crap about him.

I never hated Petitbone. He was set up to fail - handed an aging team and a new salary cap era.

Regardless, you couldn't fire petibone, so that frustration wasn't there.

Of course everybody loves a winner. If Dan's ownership hadn't been so disastrous, you think people would wish death upon him? Of course not.

But that's not what happened. It HAS been a disaster, and he's directly responsible for it - and of course there's all the other stuff - suing grandmothers, raising prices on everything and squeezing the fanbase to ridiculous levels etc. So his flippant "yeah, they love you when you win, they hate you when you lose" kinda shows that he doesn't understand that.

Not a big deal either way but I was almost sad to see him give an interview. This season is the second season where he's mostly been in the background and I'd love to keep it that way...it's nice not having to think about him.

Agree.

It isn't about winning and losing only. Its about having the organization conduct its business in a professional and classy manner.

Nobody would care about that if the Skins had won a few SBs over the last 12 years.

The "fan revolt" wasn't about the supposed lack of class or professionalism. It was 90% about the product on the field and believing the guys responsible for it need to go. The Lions conducted their operations in a "classy" and "professional" manner...their fans still revolted, though lol. It was all about competence, as it was about competence with Redskins fans.

If the Skins keep hovering around 5 or 6 wins each season, none of us are gonna give a rat's ass about the class and professionalism that Shanahan and Allen have brought to the franchise.

If Snyder had won three rings since he'd owned the team, he could be a nudist for all I care.

Why are you upset Levi?

Jerruh's SB wins helped Cowboys fans forgive him for a multitude of football sins...it's taken 14 years of flailing around for them to finally start to question his football moves and want him gone as GM.

Great point. Does anyone remember the media burning Jerry Jones very much when his team was consistently in the division title and playoff hunt a few years ago? Hell, he was all the rage when Terrell Owens signed with the team and Romo sits to pee had a career year as a direct result. Now, even NFL Network and ESPN - two very pro-Cowboys outlets - are beginning to question the Jones management theory. I agree with you; the media loves a winner (see: Patriots/Steelers) and hates a loser. They will turn on a team, and thereby the owner, faster than :bunny:

Well, somebody doesn't get why fans hate him. It's all about winning. George Steinbrenner is the perfect example of that. He was Dan Snyder until he started winning. All the other things that people complain about would be brushed under the rug if we were winning. JKC was a raving arsehole but he is revered in this town because he won.

Earlier this year, you sued The Washington City Paper for publishing “The Cranky Redskins Fan’s Guide to Dan Snyder,” which, among other things, claimed that your company had engaged in some shady business practices. Have you read the article?

No.

How could you sue without reading the piece?

Because I heard all the details. But the entire piece? I’m not going to read that.

:doh:

You're living in an idealistic world that just doesn't represent reality if you really think that. For the overwhelming majority of fans wins and losses are the only thing that shape their perception of an owner. A humble, thoughtful owner is not going to be well-liked if the team is regularly sub-par. Conversely, a crass, boastful, and impetuous owner who wins championships is going to be loved even if no one who knows the man personally or roots for an opposing team can stand him.

Agree.

When in the press box at the last preseason game, I was told how much better the food and the presentation is since Bruce took over. Hopefully Bruce will continue to have influence on the entire organization and how it conducts itself.

The 2009 debacle is still going to take some time to get over

So to clarify...

The press box ( WHERE REPORTERS SIT AND EAT FOR FREE) and slam Danny at every turn, complain that that there are no lobster tails at the buffet, is your indication of an owners class?

What if I came over to your house for dinner?

Me: What are we eating?

You: Chicken!

Me: I want steak!

How would you treat me?

Some people hate Dan Snyder merely for fielding a crappy product for the last few 10 years.

Others hate him on various principles, such as fanning an already-prevalent narcissitic culture to a near-terminal level and adding an extremely cold "corporate" element such that Redskins of old felt unwanted. It's no surprise that his hiring of two new executives(aka MANAGEMENT) is what finally is turning this ship around, and hence his sorry ass only deserves credit for hiring the right people, not being some "genius" decision-maker, of which he was most certainly NOT.

Archived