Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: T.O. advises DeSean "Don't Play"

Hitman21ST

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82202cd5/article/to-advises-jackson-to-hold-out-says-hed-play-in-philly-again

DeSean Jackson received some advice Tuesday from someone who knows a thing or two about his situation -- Terrell Owens.

The 37-year-old free-agent wideout told Philadelphia's WPEN-FM that Jackson shouldn't take the field in the Eagles' Sunday season opener against the St. Louis Rams without a new contract.

"Absolutely not," Owens said, according to Philadelphia Sports Daily. "I would have to better myself and my family and my situation. That's ridiculous."

Good job, T.O. Hopefully DeSean listens to your sage advice and comes to the same conclusion. :ols:

dock, if a player did that, does it help their situation to get a good deal from anyone else? "Oh, that loafing ****, I was just playing. Ready to break out!"

---------- Post added September-7th-2011 at 01:13 PM ----------

Hitman is still holding out hope that his prediction of DJ not being an Eagle next year will come true. I think he will keep posting about it even after he signs an extension. :ols:

dock, if a player did that, does it help their situation to get a good deal from anyone else? "Oh, that loafing ****, I was just playing. Ready to break out!"

It's never been tried. Does it help his situation? He still remains active on the roster. He still gets paid. So for him it works. I disagree with you, he'll still get a new contract. Absolutely, if not with the Eagles then with someone else. He stands on the line and never runs a route? Fair catches every punt? He becomes a bad teammate, though. He lets everyone else down.

It's never been tried. Does it help his situation? He still remains active on the roster. He still gets paid. So for him it works. I disagree with you, he'll still get a new contract. Absolutely, if not with the Eagles then with someone else. He stands on the line and never runs a route? Fair catches every punt? He becomes a bad teammate, though. He lets everyone else down.

who is going to want to pay big money to someone who would do such a thing? I can't think of anything to hurt your market value more.

With the new holdout rules, players just don't have a lot of leverage these days. I'm surprised they agreed to that part of the CBA

who is going to want to pay big money to someone who would do such a thing? I can't think of anything to hurt your market value more.

With the new holdout rules, players just don't have a lot of leverage these days. I'm surprised they agreed to that part of the CBA

Players have no leverage. If I'm in his shoes I honestly do not know what I would do. One injury and he's cooked. The Eagles owe him nothing.

I think I really would consider doing what I described. He has to remain active on the roster to accrue games. He has no choice.

It pains me so much to type these words.....TO is correct. :puke: DeSean saw his NFL career flash before his eyes last year when he got lit up and sustained that concussion. DeSean is a small, speedy WR. He's the guy you tell "Go deep" every play and see if you can hit a HR. He's the bubble screen guy that you hope can make the 1st guy miss and just burst up the field. He was drafted at the end of round 2, so he's not making much money. If he get injured this year, his contract year, he's screwed going into FA next year. Vick got a huge deal. Nnamdi got paid. DeSean feels he's just as worth of a big contract as those two.

People can say that DeSean slacking off or playing safe to avoid injury will cost him in FA, and that might be true to a small extent. But if somebody like, say, Al Davis decides he has to have D-Jax, then Davis will pay. DeSean is a playmaker who's pissed about being severly underpaid, and he's worried about his financial future. He's not the WR that Fitzgerald is, but Fitz isn't a punt returner either. And at least for the rest of the NFCE, it would be interesting to see just how good Vick is if his biggest weapon is half-assing it all season until he gets paid. I bet Vick looks just a little less stellar without DeSean.

I used to really hate it when guys would pull stunts like this and hold out for more money. I've cooled on it recently except for rookies. And he's essentially asking for an extension for job (monetary) security. The Eagles want to play hardball? That's fine, but so can their major playmaker when they've gone all in for a SB run this year.

TO is definitely that family member who will make you leave Thanksgiving dinner a little earlier than you planned to but in spite of that, he's probably right on this one. I'm assuming DeSean Jackson has to be on the verge of agreeing to a significant deal. If his reps and the Eagles were that far apart, he would have walked by now and played it safe ala Chris Johnson, especially considering Vick and all their other key players got paid.

I actually agree with TO

The common thought is that since the Beagles have Vick locked up

They are free to use the franchise tag on Jackson next season

But what if the worst happens and DJ is seriously hurt this year

He stands to lose millions.

Im not one to carelessly support holdouts but DJ has the Eagles over a barrel and needs to use that to his advantage and sit for now

I agree with T.O too. It seems that everybody else is getting paid in Philly. Everybody but DeSean that is. What is he getting paid, $600,000? That's ridiculous.

No, that's a six ****ing figure salary and I care less what other overpaid athletes in his position make. He signed the ****ing contract, so if the owner does't want to renegotiate it, so be it. It's his ****ing team and he can do whatever he wants.

No, that's a six ****ing figure salary and I care less what other overpaid athletes in his position make. He signed the ****ing contract, so if the owner does't want to renegotiate it, so be it. It's his ****ing team and he can do whatever he wants.

never understood this argument. Underpaid is underpaid.

D-Jax certainly has the upper hand with the Eagles throwing all this money around because they think this is the season. It'll be all for naught if he doesn't play

---------- Post added September-7th-2011 at 05:49 PM ----------

its not an argument, its jealousy.

Exactly.

People look at the athlete's salaries and automatically think just because it's 6, 7, 8 figures, they're overpaid. They fail to put to put themselves in the person's shoes who feel they're underpaid. If you're busting your ass at your job and some guy/girl is making more than you at your job yet they're not doing as well, you can't tell me you'd be content and be all giddy.

its not an argument, its jealousy.

:yes: Yep.

Phlly is being cheap again.

Agreed. If he doesn't get paid this year, only way they're keeping him is if they franchise him.

I don't see the point in holding out. Go out there and tear it up as he's been doing and he'll get his money. Yeah you can get hurt but holding out just makes you look selfish and me first which hurts your value to the entire league. Hell Sydney Rice, who isn't half the receiver DJack is, was hurt most of last year and he still got a pretty good deal.

Archived