Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys Nobody Are Talking About on D... But They Will. Oh, They Will.

TSO

Alright fellas,

I just got done re-watching the Ravens game again and I thought I'd post a thread about some of the sleepers we have on this team. I'm going to be watching these guys closely tonight against the Jags (Edit: Oops, I meant Bucs! Don't I feel like a horse's buttoot!), as they should be playing a lot.

The Ravens, at the beginning of the 2nd half, decided to keep their starters on offense in, whereas we had our backups in. Yes, the Ravens proceeded to drive down the field and score a TD, tying the game, but it wasn't effortless on their part. We had some very good play coming from certain individuals. This was the perfect opportunity to get a legitimate guage on who are the sleepers with fairly large boom potential on our team. In other words, I think these guys are going to make a much bigger impact on this team anyone thinks right now. Here they are in, what is of course my opinion, order of potential impact:

1- Darrion Scott. This guy was all over the place, even in the first half. He's had a great preseason thus far, and his best game came against the Ravens. He had at least 6 obvious QB pressures. Now that we lost Jarvis Jenkins for the season, I think we're going to see a lot of Scott and we're going to be thoroughly impressed. The only negative play he had all game long that I saw was on a zone stretch-play the Ravens ran where he simply gave up too much and got pushed back a few yards, leaving Ray Rice an easy spot to pick up a few yards by default when cutting back. He knew it too, as he slapped his hands in frustration afterwards. Still, that was early in the game not long after Jenkins was taken out (not the aformentioned 3rd Quarter drive) and to have only one negative play like that isn't much of a knock.

2- Lorenzo Alexander. I was seriously debating whether or not to put him ahead of Scott, because this guy is playing incredibly well. He seems like a totally different player right now, and has the body of an OLB. The good news is, it's not just a physical front with no substance... he's playing as fast as the better OLBs in the league do. No play is a better example of the progress he's made than the one with about 12:40 on the clock in the 3rd Quarter, 1st & 10. He sets up the Ravens RT Jah Reid beautifully to the outside, then makes as good a cut inside as you'll see from any OLB to pressure Flacco. Only problem is he didn't finish the sack like an elite one would do, since Flacco managed to withstand the hit and get the ball off, though it was an inaccurate pass that fell incomplete. You would never see Alexander make that play before. Ever. He was pretty much in on almost every stop, or positive play, against the Ravens on that drive. This guy could start at OLB right now and I'd feel good about it since he's more than capable of rushing the passer right now consistently, and did not get beat in coverage. He also did very well in run support, as he (along with Scott and Golston) were the only guys who seemed to be in good position on the Ravens running plays out of the backups.

3- Rob Jackson. Yup, the other backup OLB. Man, do we have depth there! If Lorenzo didn't get to Flacco, he did. His best play came at about the 13:20 mark in the 3rd Quarter, where he just got off the ball extremely well (as he usually does) and beat Oher badly. Flacco got the ball off just as he was about to hit him though, but a rush like that ends in a sack or force fumble 9 times out of 10. I love the way he tried to swipe at the ball as well... it was extremely close and Flacco was fortunate to get the ball off in the end.

4- Kedric Golston. We all know what we have in this guy, which is a solid player who doesn't make many mistakes. That being said, he seems like he's playing with a chip on his shoulder right now. Remember, he was a starter for us last year and has now been relegated to backup duty... I think he believes he can still be a starter, and he (along with Darrion Scott) were definitely applying the pressure on Flacco during the drive. He was also the best at getting a push on running plays out of the backups, not only preventing his guy to push him back at the snap, but also disrupting the running lanes by getting in the backfield almost instantly. As with Scott, he'll be a great rotational player for us and a solid starter if he has to.

5- Doug Worthington. Another DE, another solid guy. He doesn't get beat at the point of attack, and he seems to be in position to make a play every down. He's obviously not finishing most of the time (which usually isn't a knock for a DE in the 3-4), but the potential is there for anyone focusing in on him to see.

6- Brandyn Thompson. I put him here due to the nature of this list, not due to anything about his skills. The guy can play. In fact, I'm so intrigued by him I'd like to see him play with our starting secondary a lot more. We all saw him run stride for stride with Lee Evans on that drive, but the fact of the matter is he shut down his guy every time. He did not get beat once by my count. On the drive against the Ravens starters in particular, it was very simple, when Thompson was matched against Evans, Evans was a non-factor. When he wasn't, Evans made plays. Same went for Boldin. The reason he's this low on the list is because I'm not sure how he'll be able to impact this team, considering the fact that he'll be the 4th or 5th DB if he makes this team (since Westbrook is clearly the better ST player and Barnes/Buchanon seem entrenched at the 3rd/4th spot). I'd venture to say he's making the Josh Wilson signing a moot point, but I won't go that far yet, lol.

**Edit** Totally forgot about Gomes, thanks for mentioning that, guys. All 8,000 of you. :pfft: He's definitely more likely to make an impact than Thompson, and he's been solid all preseason long. He certainly can play.

I'd end this analysis with this. These guys were not the reason the Ravens scored on this drive. They were the sole reason it took the Ravens about 6 minutes to do it, because otherwise, they would've scored in no time. The key guys that got beat on this drive were Horatio Blades and Reggie Jones. And I mean that in the harshest of ways. Every single play the Ravens made on that drive went against either Blades or Jones. Literally. They were really the only glaring weak spots, though Perry Riley also disappointed a bit by not making nearly the impact a guy who started camp fighting for the starting ILB job should. I would say that Anthony Bryant also disappointed a bit at NT, but only when it came to pass rushing. He was solid at the point of attack on run plays, which arguably is the most important thing for a NT to be. He's definitely good depth and won't hurt us if he starts, but he definitely won't make the plays Cofield will. On a side note, I can't believe how good Cofield is at rushing the passer. Just awesome.

In summary, this is the deepest team we've had on defense in I don't know how long. It really is. I have no doubt these guys I mentioned up here will make some kind of an impact this year, especially the first three that I mentioned. I think we're thinnest at ILB, but that's all. Look forward to see what you all have to say. :)

Thompson is a find, but I don't know if we can fit him in the 53. Scott will make the cut and probably Worthington. I'm more worried about the Safety position than DE, I don't think Otogwe is fully healed, Landry is still not healthy and out of practice, Moore is on PUP, Doughty is just about serviceable and Horton is a liability. Gomes is a prospect but he needs more time.

Thompson is a find, but I don't know if we can fit him in the 53. Scott will make the cut and probably Worthington. I'm more worried about the Safety position than DE, I don't think Otogwe is fully healed, Landry is still not healthy and out of practice, Moore is on PUP, Doughty is just about serviceable and Horton is a liability. Gomes is a prospect but he needs more time.

True, there's still a lot of work to be done but we are lightyears away from where we were when Zorn left.

True, there's still a lot of work to be done but we are lightyears away from where we were when Zorn left.

Oh I agree definitely. I'm shocked by how many of our picks this year look like outright starters, or potential starters. And to think we only had about 5 picks to begin with :)

I find it encouraging to see so many posts/threads here lately discussing actual important elements of this roster, not simply rah-rah cheerleading but genuine discussion on various WR combinations or O line performance, etc. We have always been about the team, not any one "star" player or media darling but just the hardcore team players that make it happen, guys like a Coleman or an Olkewicz, players that really grasp the team aspect of the game. Of all the changes so far it is this attitude that I see Shanahan instilling that is the most important IMO.

A lot of 20-somethings have wondered what it was like in the 80s, well this just may be the beginning of answering those questions.

Great OP submittedone!!

I'm sure most of you already know this info, but for those that don't:

1. Scott #93

2. Alexander #97

3. Jackson #50

4. Golston #64

5. Worthington #90

6. Thompson #40

with all the changes it is pretty hard to follow all those news numbers. I agree great job OP and I think Thompson should make the team. As a corner he has surprised me, I like him better than Westbrook.

---------- Post added September-1st-2011 at 08:22 AM ----------

I like me some Dejon Gomes.....
Not watching the Jags game tonight for sure. But I'll check these guys out. Thanks for your input

I am going to watch some Gomes.

I love me some DJ Gomes, and I think that it's going to be a big year for him with Landry in flux.

the Gnomes of Gomes in da house, iarght.

I'd like to see Thompson starting across from Hall based on what Wilson & Barnes have shown. Not overly concerned about safety, Barnes could play some safety. Thompson and Gnomes are making a strong case to be on our 53. I don't see how Moore even makes the team. Westbrook playing pretty good as well.

CBs: Hall, Buchanon, Wilson, Thompson, Westbrook

Safeties: Landry, Otogwe, Barnes, Doughty, Gnomes

Yeah sure, pass me your plate. :ols:

Your Sig is funny, yet disgusting at the same time, love it! I do love me some Gomes. I can't wait to see N. Paul on the field tonight so we can have all 3 Cornhusker picks out there killing it. I'm also anxious to see Markus White - physical freak, and Thaddeus Gibson get some time at OLB. Thaddeus should have had enough time now to learn some of the plays on D and I'd love to see what the Steelers originally saw him in to want him back so bad...Also, Anderson Russell needs to have an awesome night, otherwise he might be on his way out

I agre with the analysis and I don't know if all these guys will make the team but this game will determine a lot of things. I also agree that Blades really does stink up the joint. I watch him a few plays and he looked like a minature Haynesworth. He wasn't playing all out, flying around like everyone else was. It looked like he over ran plays, just jogged and watch while others were trying to tackle someone, or was just plain out of position. He will not make the final roster IMHO and maybe he knows that because of when he is palying. He is playing with the third team basically and it shows. It seems that we are weeding out the dead weight that were thinking that there job was safe. Shanahan is not playing games and mainstays of the past are getting the rude awakening that they never thought would come. That is why very few players from the past two coaches are still or will still be on the team.

I haven't watched the game again, but I am shocked that Thompson has received so much praise this week, not because he didn't play well, but because he's like the invisible man on the field. I haven't heard ANYONE talk about him (media-types) during the game or in ANY post-game analysis.

After hearing several people say how well he did, I'm excited to watch him more tonight. I'm really hoping most of our draft picks make the team, they've all shown amazing potential and growth, besides Aldrick.

I agree with you though, our pass rush is going to be awesome, there was a drop-off once Jenkins left the game, but it wasn't as noticeable as people have made it out to be. The guys who came in for him stepped up big-time. I can't wait to watch them destroy some unsuspecting offenses.

I haven't watched the game again, but I am shocked that Thompson has received so much praise this week, not because he didn't play well, but because he's like the invisible man on the field. I haven't heard ANYONE talk about him (media-types) during the game or in ANY post-game analysis.

After hearing several people say how well he did, I'm excited to watch him more tonight. I'm really hoping most of our draft picks make the team, they've all shown amazing potential and growth, besides Aldrick.

I agree with you though, our pass rush is going to be awesome, there was a drop-off once Jenkins left the game, but it wasn't as noticeable as people have made it out to be. The guys who came in for him stepped up big-time. I can't wait to watch them destroy some unsuspecting offenses.

Carriker returns this week as well so there should be no more drop off in play with our firsts. Bowen is the force that I am anxious to see this year, now that he's wearing the right colors. Our front 3 are pretty stout.

Yeah man great OP but where's the Gomes breakdown ? ;) He just seems to have that playmaking dynamic, always near the ball.

Well, the OP was supposed to be about guys nobody is talking about...

Of course, I'm not sure how One Man Gang made that list... :)

I wonder if Buchanon's suspension puts him on the bubble to make the final roster. At the very least it will give Brandyn Thompson, or whoever the team decides to keep, another 4 weeks to prove they belong on the team.

As I understand it he doesnt count towards a roster spot, therefore he will make the team and we will get to wait 4 additional weeks to test the players we got to see if he is worthy when he returns.

*Second read: I think we said the same thing... my bad (hence the reason I normally dont ever post)

Archived