Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trent Williams Needs to Pick It Up

zoony

Yeah, he did have a rough game. He did okay during the game, but he did have some real stinker moments of getting owned. Hopefully he learns from the mistakes and steps up. Just like most people, there are good days and bad days. Maybe he just had a bad day that won't be the norm...hopefully.

In recent memory i think this was one of the worst picks on the offensive line in the draft. i just can't believe we took him with 4. there have been absolute studs that have gone early and not struggled like Trent

It's way too soon to call it a bad pick at #4, especially when you're talking about a raw prospect with such monumental upside.

...Do these threads pop up every time a player has a bad game?

dissapointing rookie season followed by an offseason of no-shows followed by a turd performance in preseason. Yes, these threads pop up. Deal with it.

Again, this is a fanbase that wonders why players lash out at them sometimes. Because of crap like this.

:ols: The guy is making $50 million guaranteed.

The guy had a bad game, after having a pretty solid game versus the Steelers.

He didn't have a bad game. he had a TERRIBLE game, against their starters and backups both.

Trent actually handled Freeney pretty well for most of the night. I think he's gotta stop trying to cut block when he's in the red zone, because, ya know...it didn't work. But he had WAY more good plays than he had bad. Now, the two plays everyone is complaining about were REALLY, REALLY bad. But he's still young, and he'll still mistakes, and I know everyone hates that excuse, but oh well, suck it up. Bet he won't make the same mistake again.

2 sacks surrendered in the first half and a penalty, and your takeaway is "he had more good plays than bad". Nice.

You do realize that Stephon Heyer also had more good plays than bad. If you're 90% in the NFL at left tackle that means you suck. Get some perspective.

He just wasn't ready for the back-up. Mental lapse, yeah, but I'm not worried about it. No need to pile on to the guy.

Oh, so asking for good performance from the #4 pick in the draft is piling on? I forgot,

"we must not say anything bad about any of the players, they're all pro-bowlers."

~dumbass jock-sniffing homers

This is a message board. We're here to talk about the games and the players. Good and bad. If you can't handle it, go somewhere else.

In recent memory i think this was one of the worst picks on the offensive line in the draft. i just can't believe we took him with 4. there have been absolute studs that have gone early and not struggled like Trent

How bizarre ... how bizarre.

:helmet:The Rook

"we must not say anything bad about any of the players, they're all pro-bowlers."

~dumbass jock-sniffing homers.

Way to put words in my mouth sir. So now I'm a jock-sniffing homer. Why?

He had a terrible game, a week after having a solid game where he gave up no sacks against starters OR back-ups. I am not saying that Trent's a Pro Bowler (more words in my mouth). I'm saying he's young. I said he got bullied by Freeney on one play, and flat out embarassed by Chick on some others. I thought he opened good holes in the run game, and yes, I thought I saw more good than bad, even with the two embarassing sacks.

Comparing Trent Williams to Stephen Heyer is like comparing a Lincoln Navigator to a Geo Tracker.

And really? We're still butthurt over the "he didn't show out to the teams unofficial workouts" thing, even though he showed up to camp, in shape, and his coaches and his teammates who were with him last year have all universally praised him for being much better than he was a year ago? Really?

Okay sir. You win. But I'd much rather be a jock sniffing homer than a jerk with a grudge against a player.

To each his own.

If you'll excuse me, I have some jocks to sniff.

One bad game and he gets beat on a good move and he has to step up his play? You act like this guy Chick is a scrub and that Trent Williams is getting owned by everyone. O-Lineman are going to get beat sometime and sometime they are going to dominate guys. Every dog gets a bone every now and then. I don't think that it is that bad and he surely doesn't need you telling him what you want him to do otherwise you would be his O-Line coach. I guess your name isn't Forrester is it?

One bad game and he gets beat on a good move and he has to step up his play? You act like this guy Chick is a scrub and that Trent Williams is getting owned by everyone. O-Lineman are going to get beat sometime and sometime they are going to dominate guys. Every dog gets a bone every now and then. I don't think that it is that bad and he surely doesn't need you telling him what you want him to do otherwise you would be his O-Line coach. I guess your name isn't Forrester is it?
I'm just curious, did you watch the game?

Also, did you read the OP's entire post?

He's hot and cold. Maybe a better nickname for him would be Icy Hot.

:ols: I like that.

Trent is still adjusting to the NFL. I know that he is in his second season, but he is still learining. I am not worried about him because I know that he will be mainstay on that line for years. When he gets comfortable, he will start to be Samuels- like. :2cents:

:ols: I like that.

Trent is still adjusting to the NFL. I know that he is in his second season, but he is still learining. I am not worried about him because I know that he will be mainstay on that line for years. When he gets comfortable, he will start to be Samuels- like. :2cents:

I'm not so sure about that.

Personally, I think Samuels was a MUCH better prospect coming out of college.

Zoony, Trent reminds me a little of Carlos after his first season or two. It was pretty obvious back then that Carlos was a NFL player, but he wasn't going to be elite.

And many of the responses in this thread are eerily similiar.

Let's hope the kid picks it up, and that he isn't satisfied with his money.

I just re-watched the Colts game on NFLN, and wow, what a turd performance that guy delivered. Number 4 overall? Wow Trent, time to pick it up. Enough talk.

He got flat out ABUSED by John Chick. That's right, THE John Chick. You know, the guy that was brought up from the practice squad after a few years in the CFL playing with the rest of the Colts backups. Chick put a move on him at the LOS that literally made him fall down. Those are the kind of whiffs that get your QB on injured reserve.

Of course, we all saw Dwight Freeney make him his *****. Pushed him right back into the QB. That's embarrassing, I don't care who the Dlineman is.

Then, the coup de grace, the 5 yard penalty for lining up incorrectly at the end of the 2nd half. Really?

Trent, talk is cheap. Time to get your ass in gear. You are a top 4 pick. I read an article predicting you'd be a pro-bowler. At this rate I'm not even sure you deserve to start.

Were you drinking as you typed this? Relax bro.

Trent's also got a spare tire he didn't have last year. Hoping that doesn't mean much.....

Puzzling to me, how he looked good against Freeney, even with one bad play, and got bulled by a 2nd stringer.

I swear CSN/ESPN 980 have been reporting he lost 10-12 lbs over the offseason.

Overall, not impressed with anything about him so far.

Sometimes you're not going to get an elite player in the draft. Yes, even at number 4. And I know everyone's going to harp on that. "We drafted him number 4, you draft a guy number 4 overall, he needs to be elite!"

Usually, ya draft at number 4 because you suck, and even though you technically have your pick of the proverbial litter, the fact is, most picks that get drafted in the first round aren't going to be elite. They're going to be solid players, they'll contribute, but you're not going to get an elite player. Right now, I'd call Trent solid. Not elite yet, and maybe he won't be, but he's solid, and he'll never be a bust.

But I think half the reason 'Los isn't here (along with him being crap at handling his money and demanding a big pay day) is, because he was drafted in the first round, people had expectations that he was going to be the next Champ, without realizing that guys like Champ come along VERY seldom. And when he didn't turn into Champ, the fanbase turned on him. I'm as frustrated with old Stone Hands as the next dude, but he was a solid player. Maybe he'd never be elite, maybe he'd never be shutdown, but he was solid. Shutdown corners don't just pop up all the time. The constant complaints and the booing from fans plus the media dogging him all the time wore him out. He was a solid player that, at the very least, made sure other guys didn't catch the football. Well, if you didn't run a double move on him.

Same thing can be said of Campbell, who was pretty well and truly screwed around with for most of his tenure, and was supposed to somehow overcome lackluster weapons, an offensive line that my high school football team would be embarassed to put on the field (my high school football team went 0-10, by the way), ever changing coordinators, and a team that seemed bound and determined to replace him at every single turn. It's why I don't get mad when Campbell says anything bad about us. Collectively, the organization and the fanbase treated JC like garbage. Hell, I don't even get mad when 'Los badmouths us.

There's already people going "man, I don't know if Kerrigan is going to be a good outside linebacker". There's a whole thread where some smart aleck badmouths Hankerson over his drops. And then we wonder and get pissy when Chris Cooley or players speak out on us booing them. Cooley, who, despite being a solid, reliable, and at times Pro Bowl athlete, has been placed up on the trade block by the fanbase ever since Fred Davis got drafted, and even now we still got Fred Davis jokes and people call him "Sleepy".

If you're waiting for Trent Williams to be come the next Chris Samuels, I'm sorry ladies and gents, but you're in for a long wait. Chris Samuels was a once in a lifetime athlete, and damn near irreplaceable. Not that hoping Trent turns into Samuels is bad, but if you're going to measure any tackle against Samuels, 3/4's of them are going to come up short.

So how about just letting Trent be Trent? He had a bad game, after have a good game a week ago. That's all I'm saying, and I'm not being a homer when I say that.

Alls I'll say is that when guys come onto this football team, regardless of where they're drafted, sometimes the expectations are too high. Wasn't too long ago everyone was ready to call Landry a bust. A bad game in preseason ultimately isn't going to be apart of whatever legacy Trent creates for himself.

Had he been a second round pick, we would say "He looks pretty good."

At number 4 in the first round? Disappointing so far.

Exactly. And we aren't talking about one bad game, like samuels had against jared Allen. We are talking about a sub_par rookie year characterized by an unwillingness to put in the proper preperation (shannys words), repeated struggling against good passrushers, a no show offseason.... And now, we get to watch practice squad callups make him look straight stupid in his sophmore preseason.

I guess some of you are content with that from your 4th overall pick. I'm expecting more, much more. He has all the physical tools and then some. He is running out of excuses (though not ballwashers, still has plenty of those) and he needs to pick his game up. He is one of the most highly compensated members of the 2011 Redskins and its time he started playing like it.

Exactly. And we aren't talking about one bad game, like samuels had against jared Allen. We are talking about a sub_par rookie year characterized by an unwillingness to put in the proper preperation (shannys words), repeated struggling against good passrushers, a no show offseason.... And now, we get to watch practice squad callups make him look straight stupid in his sophmore preseason.

I guess some of you are content with that from your 4th overall pick. I'm expecting more, much more. He has all the physical tools and then some. He is running out of excuses (though not ballwashers, still has plenty of those) and he needs to pick his game up. He is one of the most highly compensated members of the 2011 Redskins and its time he started playing like it.

No I'm not satisfied with that. But I'm also not ranting and raving and insulting people just because I'm miffed in the second week of preseason.

Not sure if that's so. Fletcher didn't play and Fox was obviously very good based on results. Fletcher and Fox might be a little small for the inside, but they look to really have a good feel.

Fletcher is short, but I wouldn't call him small.

They play the same position...

Both ILBs have the same set of total responsibilities. This defense is supposed to be able to flip symmetrically. The safeties, OLBs, and ILBs actually have to know every aspect of the position since they don't align the personnel groups according to the strength of the play. It's a demanding scheme.

I don't see anything that would prevent Fox from starting next to Fletcher if he earns the job in preseason. I think he's got a leg up on Rocky.

Archived