Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trent Williams Needs to Pick It Up

zoony

I just re-watched the Colts game on NFLN, and wow, what a turd performance that guy delivered. Number 4 overall? Wow Trent, time to pick it up. Enough talk.

He got flat out ABUSED by John Chick. That's right, THE John Chick. You know, the guy that was brought up from the practice squad after a few years in the CFL playing with the rest of the Colts backups. Chick put a move on him at the LOS that literally made him fall down. Those are the kind of whiffs that get your QB on injured reserve.

Of course, we all saw Dwight Freeney make him his *****. Pushed him right back into the QB. That's embarrassing, I don't care who the Dlineman is.

Then, the coup de grace, the 5 yard penalty for lining up incorrectly at the end of the 2nd half. Really?

Trent, talk is cheap. Time to get your ass in gear. You are a top 4 pick. I read an article predicting you'd be a pro-bowler. At this rate I'm not even sure you deserve to start.

He'll be ok, I think. He seems to be solid at his best, but not dominant. At least not yet.

I just hope it's not another classic example of somebody being touted as coming into camp in great shape, only for them to struggle. I've started to become wary of that.

Don't want to unfocus the thread, but the other ILB position next to Fletcher is another point of weakness. Play at that position needs to get better.

Not sure if that's so. Fletcher didn't play and Fox was obviously very good based on results. Fletcher and Fox might be a little small for the inside, but they look to really have a good feel.

As for Trent, he got his lunch handed to him. Good. Sometimes, that's what you need to have happen in the preseason. Get the stinker out of the way and give something that your coaches can push you with.

Not sure if that's so. Fletcher didn't play and Fox was obviously very good based on results. Fletcher and Fox might be a little small for the inside, but they look to really have a good feel.

They play the same position...

...Do these threads pop up every time a player has a bad game?

Again, this is a fanbase that wonders why players lash out at them sometimes. Because of crap like this. The guy had a bad game, after having a pretty solid game versus the Steelers. (Yeah, I know, Harrison wasn't starting, it's preseason, except because he did bad versus the Colts this counts more).

Trent actually handled Freeney pretty well for most of the night. I think he's gotta stop trying to cut block when he's in the red zone, because, ya know...it didn't work. But he had WAY more good plays than he had bad. Now, the two plays everyone is complaining about were REALLY, REALLY bad. But he's still young, and he'll still mistakes, and I know everyone hates that excuse, but oh well, suck it up. Bet he won't make the same mistake again.

He just wasn't ready for the back-up. Mental lapse, yeah, but I'm not worried about it. No need to pile on to the guy.

...Again...

---------- Post added August-21st-2011 at 08:05 PM ----------

Trent's also got a spare tire he didn't have last year. Hoping that doesn't mean much...

All reports out of training camp is that he actually dropped weight. Coach Shanahan has said he came into camp in much better shape and was a much better pro.

He had a bad game, it's not a big deal...

...Do these threads pop up every time a player has a bad game?

Again, this is a fanbase that wonders why players lash out at them sometimes. Because of crap like this. The guy had a bad game, after having a pretty solid game versus the Steelers. (Yeah, I know, Harrison wasn't starting, it's preseason, except because he did bad versus the Colts this counts more).

Trent actually handled Freeney pretty well for most of the night. I think he's gotta stop trying to cut block when he's in the red zone, because, ya know...it didn't work. But he had WAY more good plays than he had bad. Now, the two plays everyone is complaining about were REALLY, REALLY bad. But he's still young, and he'll still mistakes, and I know everyone hates that excuse, but oh well, suck it up. Bet he won't make the same mistake again.

He just wasn't ready for the back-up. Mental lapse, yeah, but I'm not worried about it. No need to pile on to the guy.

...Again...

---------- Post added August-21st-2011 at 08:05 PM ----------

All reports out of training camp is that he actually dropped weight. Coach Shanahan has said he came into camp in much better shape and was a much better pro.

He had a bad game, it's not a big deal...

Yeah I have to second this sentiment. I know its preseason and there isn't a whole lot to talk about, but just like the crap with Hankerson, do we really need people around here questioning whether some of these guys can even play just because they have a bad quarter or bad game? It would be different if Trent played horrible last year, played horrible in the first preseason game and you had worries that maybe he'll keep it up, but thats not the case. He played pretty well off and on last season, same with last week and even the rest of this game.

But then again, I'm getting tired with how quick fans in general seem to be to try and label a guy a bust or HoFer.

Fox knows both inside LB positions from all reports we've heard.

But enough about that, let's start crapping on Trent again.

If you can't get up facing the best of the best (Freeney) and mail it in, just who in the hell do you get up against?

No one's saying he's a bust, only that he needs to pull his head from his posterior.

If you can't get up facing the best of the best (Freeney) and mail it in, just who in the hell do you get up against?

No one's saying he's a bust, only that he needs to pull his head from his posterior.

Did you miss the part where most people believe he DID play well against Freeney, so I don't get where you get the whole mailing it in thing. Yeah he didn't have a great game all around, but most of his bad plays came because he got handled by backups, not because Freeney had like 4 sacks on him or something.

Well zoony's right, watch that game and you'll see Trent get his ass handed to him a couple of times but I am in the camp that thinks it could be a good thing along the lines of motivation and extra foot-in-the-ass'in from the coaches.

Well zoony's right, watch that game and you'll see Trent get his ass handed to him a couple of times but I am in the camp that thinks it could be a good thing along the lines of motivation and extra foot-in-the-ass'in from the coaches.

A couple of times is different than all game long, which it would take for me to use a statement like "mailing it in" or not getting up for it. I'm just saying, I get the sentiment that people want him to do better, but I think throwing around lines like Trent Williams mailed it in, just because of a below average performance isn't fair in my estimation.

He DID get up to play Freeney, he played well against Freeney all night, and only gave up one sack to Freeney on the goal line. He got bullied on that sack, but Trent played all night long. He got embarassed by the back-up a couple times, but even then, most of the night, he played fine.

Where's this "he didn't get up to play Freeney" stuff coming from? He gives up one sack to Freeney after not allowing him to get much pressure most of the night and all the sudden he didn't get up for him? Don't the best o-linemen have trouble with Freeney?

I'll give you not showing up for the back-up John Chick. But I don't think Trent was "taking it easy" when Freeney was in there. Not at all.

A couple of times is different than all game long, which it would take for me to use a statement like "mailing it in" or not getting up for it. I'm just saying, I get the sentiment that people want him to do better, but I think throwing around lines like Trent Williams mailed it in, just because of a below average performance isn't fair in my estimation.

Agreed, it wasn't like he channelled his inner Rabach all night, most times no one mentions linemen when they do their job right

Archived