Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trent Williams Needs to Pick It Up

zoony

Rightly or wrongly, a player's always going to be judged against where he was picked.

Trent may not of asked to of been picked at 4 overall; but he was, and happily took the money and responsibility that comes with a top 4 pick. I don't really get how you don't think a player should be held up to the high standards and expectations that come with higher end draft picks. What other barometer do you hold them up to?

Hail.

Trent has been very inconsistent, but Trent has also flashed big time and you've got to remember he was playing hurt for almost the entire season. He's got the ability to be a downright dominant run blocker, particularly in this scheme. Beyond that, his lateral agility and footspeed is elite and once he gets to a consistent level of play, he'll be able to stone just about everyone. And the thing I love most about him are his flashes of aggressiveness. When he's not thinking too much and really using his hands, he's a tough SoB to shed. Plus he's a smart player. He came into the league already a pretty good help blocker that had above average blitz recognition. He was definitely the best OT fit for us from a scheme perspective in that draft class.

I can see why Shanny took him over Okung. His ability to get downfield is downright amazing, I don't know how many times I've seen him running ahead of the RB with WR's and TEs. Actually, I'd like to see him pull back a little, as tacklers come in behind him... but still, you have to be impressed with the athleticism.

And there is the frustrating part. Nobody is arguing that he's not the most athletically gifted Olineman in the league. He had an up and down rookie season... you could easily argue far more downs than ups. Okay, fine. He's learning.

Then Shanny, at the end of last season, is asked about his progress. Now keep in mind, Shanny picked him and put his reputation on the line... so he has a vested interest in seeing him succeed. He basically said that TW's game prep is poor. That's about as much of a callout as I've seen from the coach... the same guy who straight lied to protect McNabb when he benched him.

That's worrisome, especially coupled with his "lazy" reputation coming out of college. He's a no-show this offseason, and I think he was studying or something wasn't he? Can't remember, anyways, I remember other Olinemen calling him out for being a no-show.

Then, the game Friday night. Hence the thread. He needs to pick it up. Period.

I think what may be even more frustrating about the situation, is looking at the RT spot, and watching Brown manhandle his matchups consistently. Almost every time I've keyed on Brown (when the camera angles permit), he is doing his job, at the very least.

Maybe if we had Heyer "anchoring" the right side, we would be more happy about Williams' performance. Oh, and if we weren't spoiled by Samuels' stellar play for a decade.

Bottom line is, for where Trent was drafted, he's supposed to be one of the best players on our team, instantly. At the very minimum, he should be vying for the best player in his positional group. To date, I don't see it. As a matter of fact, with Heyer and Rabach gone, he is appearing to be a liability with this offensive line.

Why is everyone comparing him to Okung? If Okung sucks and Trent sucks, do we get a do over? Makes no sense to compare him to Okung. Trent needs to get better in a hurry or he'll be another in a long line of draft busts.

Because Okung was the other top O-tackle in the 2010 draft maybe, with most expecting us to take the OSU guy rather than then OU one we ended up with.

I get your point there's nothing that can be done about that now, but it seem's a natural comparison to make, shrugs.

Hail.

That list doesn't make me feel very good. :(

Edit: After looking at it a second time, that list isn't too bad.

Yeah it's got about the same number of hits as any other top 5 pick. Ogden, Boulware, James, and Woodson were/are great players so that was a really nice four year run. Justin Smith has been a really good player and I'd consider that pick a success. Phil Rivers and D'Brickashaw Ferguson both look like they'll finish their careers as great players. And Darren McFadden finally started to look like himself last season and remind everyone why he was considered the most talented player in that (very good) draft class.

More hits than misses IMO.

Ferguson is an interesting example. I'd argue that it wasn't until the 2009 season that he became a truly great left tackle. That's three years deep. He was a pretty good OT before then, but it took him a little while to make the leap to being an elite LT.

Gee, I can't imagine why fans would question the play of a guy due to his draft status other than:

1.The millions invested in him.

2.A player picked that high is expected to make an immediate impact.

3.Um, do you realize the value of a good LT? Ask a QB.

4.A good LT will solidify that spot in some cases for a decade, meaning other areas of need can be

focused on.

5.History will tell you that most great LT's were top 10 picks.

The bar has been set high due to all of the above. Fans, coaches and teammates will judge your

performance a little more closely based on your draft staus. It's always been that way and always will be.

By the way. I ain't even mad.

Exactly. And we aren't talking about one bad game, like samuels had against jared Allen. We are talking about a sub_par rookie year characterized by an unwillingness to put in the proper preperation (shannys words), repeated struggling against good passrushers, a no show offseason.... And now, we get to watch practice squad callups make him look straight stupid in his sophmore preseason.

I guess some of you are content with that from your 4th overall pick. I'm expecting more, much more. He has all the physical tools and then some. He is running out of excuses (though not ballwashers, still has plenty of those) and he needs to pick his game up. He is one of the most highly compensated members of the 2011 Redskins and its time he started playing like it.

I think you're expecting the reincarnation of Chris Samuels.

Trent will be a good player for us but you have to give him time as well.

I think what may be even more frustrating about the situation, is looking at the RT spot, and watching Brown manhandle his matchups consistently. Almost every time I've keyed on Brown (when the camera angles permit), he is doing his job, at the very least.

Maybe if we had Heyer "anchoring" the right side, we would be more happy about Williams' performance. Oh, and if we weren't spoiled by Samuels' stellar play for a decade.

Bottom line is, for where Trent was drafted, he's supposed to be one of the best players on our team, instantly. At the very minimum, he should be vying for the best player in his positional group. To date, I don't see it. As a matter of fact, with Heyer and Rabach gone, he is appearing to be a liability with this offensive line.

That's completely unrealistic. This is the OT position we're talking about. It's one of the hardest positions to play in football.

Second, JB is a 7 year vet, and even he had a poor season last year. Plus his success doesn't make Trent look worse, it'll only help him. The OL is about the sum being greater than the individual parts, especially in our specific protection and run blocking schemes.

Shanahan may have called Trent out for his prep but he also said Trent is the most talented OL he's ever been around. Trent will be alright.

You guys are exaggerating how bad he was.

Freeney did get the best of him on one play. Trent got pushed back, but didn't lose his balance.

The other play was the one where he completely whiffed on the cut block. He admitted to whiffing on the post game interview.

That was it, really from what I saw. He'll be fine.

That's completely unrealistic. This is the OT position we're talking about. It's one of the hardest positions to play in football.

Second, JB is a 7 year vet, and even he had a poor season last year. Plus his success doesn't make Trent look worse, it'll only help him. The OL is about the sum being greater than the individual parts, especially in our specific protection and run blocking schemes.

Shanahan may have called Trent out for his prep but he also said Trent is the most talented OL he's ever been around. Trent will be alright.

Samuels was easily instantly one of our best offensive players when he was drafted. In October of his rookie season, he was already getting recognition for his play (co-Offensive Rookie of the Month). Sophomore year, he was in the Pro Bowl.

Brown was also a Pro-Bowler by his 2nd season. We knew in getting Brown from the Saints that he wasn't completely healthy, which is why we got him at value. His play at the end of the season, the fact that he had a line for his services, us re-signing him, and him still looking good really validates that.

Is there anything from Trent that indicates that a Pro Bowl 2nd season may be his path of trajectory?

I can see why Shanny took him over Okung. His ability to get downfield is downright amazing, I don't know how many times I've seen him running ahead of the RB with WR's and TEs. Actually, I'd like to see him pull back a little, as tacklers come in behind him... but still, you have to be impressed with the athleticism.

And there is the frustrating part. Nobody is arguing that he's not the most athletically gifted Olineman in the league. He had an up and down rookie season... you could easily argue far more downs than ups. Okay, fine. He's learning.

Then Shanny, at the end of last season, is asked about his progress. Now keep in mind, Shanny picked him and put his reputation on the line... so he has a vested interest in seeing him succeed. He basically said that TW's game prep is poor. That's about as much of a callout as I've seen from the coach... the same guy who straight lied to protect McNabb when he benched him.

That's worrisome, especially coupled with his "lazy" reputation coming out of college. He's a no-show this offseason, and I think he was studying or something wasn't he? Can't remember, anyways, I remember other Olinemen calling him out for being a no-show.

Then, the game Friday night. Hence the thread. He needs to pick it up. Period.

Agree 100% with every post of yours in this thread.

Honestly, he is not looking good right now and I am not sure if he has the drive to fix the problem. He doesn't sound nor look motivated.

I don't have a good feeling about him. I don't see him being a Vernon Gholston type of bust, but I don't see him as a franchise LT. If you get abused by Chick on one play, then the next play you better pankcake that guy. I watched the game three times and focused more and more on him. There were plenty of times where he was beat, but the ball was out quick.

I really don't have a good feeling about him. This is why I love the new rookie scale. This will keep players hungry and go out and EARN that monster contract.

He definitely had a bad game. But, like others I think things will work themselves out as he develops. Just thinking back, wasn't one of the knocks on him (and also upside) that he was more raw coming out of college from a technique perspective than guys like Okung, but was taken due to athleticism that, combined with coaching, made his ceiling higher?

If I'm recalling that correctly, I don't think it should come as a shock that he's not "dominating" right now, especially with lost OTA's and time due to injury last season. Plus, if we so often dismiss good preseason performances as only being "preseason" maybe we should also (albeit less regularly) do that for poor performances.

First, I apologize if this has been covered but I didn't have time this morning to read every comment. I come down somewhere in the middle on this. I agree to an extent with those who say, "this is preseason, it's not total panic time. " Admittedly, the sampling size is far too small to draw any concrete conclusions. Having said that, this is troubling to me. Those who say, "hey most of his plays were good" are missing something, in my opinion. In pass protection, if preventing a sack is considered a win, you are expected to win WAY, WAY more than most of the time. The better tackles in the league give up 2-3 sacks a YEAR. Again, it is preseason and it's too small a sampling to totally panic, but to not be concerned, seems to me to be refusing to acknowledge what is staring us in the face.

I had trouble finding stats but did find this:

http://www.patriotsfootballplace.com/2010/01/tackles-and-sack-numbers.html

From the day he was drafted, article after article has been published pertaining to his poor work ethic and strong bust potential. Unless he has been living under a rock somewhere Williams must be aware of all the negative buzz. Williams should be crushing it to prove all of his naysayers wrong instead of getting trucked like he did Friday night. He does need to pick it up and rebound nicely against the Ravens or else the negative buzz is going to turn into a dull roar. There is no name plate on Shanny's dog house right now but that could change real quick if Trent doesn't come ready to play Thursday night at the Ravens.

Samuels was easily instantly one of our best offensive players when he was drafted. In October of his rookie season, he was already getting recognition for his play (co-Offensive Rookie of the Month). Sophomore year, he was in the Pro Bowl.

And yet whenver Samuels gave up a sack in a game, threads would pop up on this board lamenting how he was overrated, how there are so many other better LTs than him, that he has to step his game up, etc. etc. Trent Williams hasn't even started his second year in the league, and people are declaring him a bust. It's ****ing ridiculous. I think Zoony was high from an OD on Benton's Smoky Mountain Bacon when he started this thread.

You guys are exaggerating how bad he was.

Freeney did get the best of him on one play. Trent got pushed back, but didn't lose his balance.

The other play was the one where he completely whiffed on the cut block. He admitted to whiffing on the post game interview.

That was it, really from what I saw. He'll be fine. .

This is an insanely sane - and accurate - post. Thank you.

I was disappointed in his performance last year based on the hype about him being the next best thing since sliced bread. He gave up way too many sacks and was hurt several times. He looks to out of shape to me. He has flabby biceps like old ladies at the county fair. He should hit the weightroom and turn some of that fat into muscle. He should be our best lineman. How many of you would be happy with our best lineman giving up 2 sacks per game and costing us close to 50 yards per game with penalties included. Hell we ran Rabach off for less. You would crucify Heyer for the same performance. I agree with zoony 100%. HTTR

So, we can site Mike Shanahan saying he wasn't great at game prep and needed to learn how to be a pro at the end of last season, but we'll just ignore Mike Shanahan saying he came to camp in shape and had done all the things he needed to do to become a pro this season, and his teammates backing him up 110% and saying they've seen in a huge change in him this season.

Typical Redskins fans; always thinking of the past, always looking towards the future, never thinking about the now.

And yet whenver Samuels gave up a sack in a game, threads would pop up on this board lamenting how he was overrated, how there are so many other better LTs than him, that he has to step his game up, etc. etc. Trent Williams hasn't even started his second year in the league, and people are declaring him a bust. It's ****ing ridiculous. I think Zoony was high from an OD on Benton's Smoky Mountain Bacon when he started this thread.

Samuels was in that second tier of elite. He wasn't Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, Jonathan Ogden or Willie Roaf. He was on equal footing with Flozell Adams, Tra Thomas and Willie Anderson. I think the frustration came in comparing him to those guys. Was he worth the pick? Definitely for us. That doesn't mean that there weren't better people.

I honestly don't recall Samuels having games where he struggled with nobodies. And by struggle, I don't even mean the two sacks. It's that his technique looked terrible...he was too high and getting pushed back because of it in pass pro. I think that's inexcusable at this level. Even when he didn't give up sacks, he wasn't necessarily holding his own and creating a pocket. I was truly surprised by that.

Archived