Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: SEC accused of dumping records

brandymac27

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/sec-accused-of-dumping-records/2011/08/17/gIQAKxF7LJ_story.html?wprss=rss_politics

The SEC has violated federal law by destroying the records of thousands of enforcement cases in which it decided not to file charges against or conduct full-blown investigations of Wall Street firms and others initially suspected of wrongdoing, a former agency official has alleged.

The purged records involve major firms such as Goldman Sachs, Citigroup, Bank of America, Morgan Stanley and hedge-fund manager SAC Capital, the former official claimed. At issue were suspicions of actions such as insider trading, financial fraud and market manipulation.

The allegations come at a time when the Securities and Exchange Commission faces criticism that it has pulled punches or missed warning signs in its policing of Wall Street.

A file closed in 2002 involved Lehman Brothers, the investment bank whose collapse fueled the financial meltdown of 2008, according to the former official. A file closed in 2009 involved suspected insider trading in securities related to American International Group, the insurance giant bailed out by the government at the height of the financial crisis, the former official wrote.

Others involved Bernard Ma*doff, whose multibillion-dollar Ponzi scheme the agency failed to stop despite repeated tips.

The allegations were leveled in a July letter to Sen. Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa) from Gary J. Aguirre, a former SEC enforcement lawyer now representing a current SEC enforcement lawyer, Darcy Flynn.

Flynn last year began managing SEC enforcement records and became concerned that records that were supposed to be preserved under federal law were being purged as a matter of SEC policy, Aguirre wrote.

Flynn contacted the National Archives and Records Administration, which sent a letter to the SEC saying it appeared there had been “an unauthorized disposal of federal records,” Aguirre wrote.

Click link for more

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/sec-accused-of-dumping-records/2011/08/17/gIQAKxF7LJ_story.html?wprss=rss_politics

I know it is not realistic but I wish authorities treated financial crime like they do drug dealers or other criminals.

Bring a SWAT truck. Break down their doors at 4am drag them out in cuffs at gun point, trash their homes and interigate them for hours. Make them look like fools. Do it all publicly. Put there photos up on the news - "Top 10 Finacial criminals."

I would have paid anything for us to do that to the CEOs and executives right after the crash. **** brining them before Congress for a "lecture." Bring a helicopter, land it on the roof of their mansion and storm that **** with SWAT and drag them out infront of 100 cameras.

Treat them like the trash they are.

/rant

Yes, I know that is crazy and will never happen :ols:

I know it is not realistic but I wish authorities treated financial crime like they do drug dealers or other criminals.

Bring a SWAT truck. Break down their doors at 4am drag them out in cuffs at gun point, trash their homes and interigate them for hours. Make them look like fools. Do it all publicly. Put there photos up on the news - "Top 10 Finacial criminals."

I would have paid anything for us to do that to the CEOs and executives right after the crash. **** brining them before Congress for a "lecture." Bring a helicopter, land it on the roof of their mansion and storm that **** with SWAT and drag them out infront of 100 cameras.

/rant

It's not crazy because it's true. Law enforcement treats financial crime with a wink and a nod, when they should get hit with RICO type laws because of the massive impact that their crimes have.

:ols: Guess we know who read the OP,(I guess it does say SEC so there's almost a pass for that).

Yeah, not me. :ols: My comment still stands though, college is nothing more than business. If it's corrupt, no surprise. It's been obvious for a long time, if it goes a little deeper than previously thought, it's no surprise.

:ols: Guess we know who read the OP,(I guess it does say SEC so there's almost a pass for that).

Actually, I was wondering if we needed a board rule, similar to the "(blog)" rule, requiring "SEC disambiguation".

Although it's also possible that people are simply having fun, here.

LOL, yeah I think the first couple were tongue in cheek but then by the 4th and 5th I knew some weren't reading. :ols:

Yep. Started off funny then.....got funnier,(at the expense of a couple of members).

I thought of changing the thread title Larry,then decided to be a hard ass. "Read the damn op!" :mad: I probably need more coffee. 4.gif

Laws? We don't need no steenking laws! Country? We laugh at country! We use country like toilet paper! Now shut up and take it, suckers!

Honestly, these ****s that run the finances in this country do whatever the **** they want, rob us, cheat us, **** us over all they want, and NO ONE CAN STOP THEM.

Here's the agency supposed to keep them in check straight up aiding and abetting them.

We're just ****ed. That's all.

I'm really starting to wonder if there is anything that can be done about it outside of horrifying violence. Every attempt to use the law fails, they own the law.

Off with some ****ing heads already.

~Bang

Yep. Started off funny then.....got funnier,(at the expense of a couple of members).

I thought of changing the thread title Larry,then decided to be a hard ass. "Read the damn op!" :mad: I probably need more coffee. 4.gif

Yeah, it's kind of like the Onion threads where people don't get the joke.

Why ruin it?

Can we just stop pretending that we are educating athletes already. It's pretty obviously a joke. Let kids play right out of high school. I don't agree with that, but the current system is such an obvious joke.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

BTW, why is Madoff spelled with an asterix in the OP? Ma*doff... is there something I'm missing

I'm with you Bang. You know it's bad when you already assumed this was going down and you assume it's 10 times worse than what's being reported now. I have zero faith in the integrity of almost any part of our gernmental system at this point. It's all a sham. Something really, really drastic is going to have to take place in order for any real change to happen.

Laws? We don't need no steenking laws! Country? We laugh at country! We use country like toilet paper! Now shut up and take it, suckers!

Honestly, these ****s that run the finances in this country do whatever the **** they want, rob us, cheat us, **** us over all they want, and NO ONE CAN STOP THEM.

Here's the agency supposed to keep them in check straight up aiding and abetting them.

We're just ****ed. That's all.

I'm really starting to wonder if there is anything that can be done about it outside of horrifying violence. Every attempt to use the law fails, they own the law.

Off with some ****ing heads already.

~Bang

Maybe we should give them a lot of our tax money.

/rant

??? That's exactly what they did after the internet stocks crashed. They cuffed people on live tv, and each scumbag arrested would send the Dow up 100 points.

This time they won't, because of the housing crisis, and too many dirty politicians are involved. Mainly the Barney Frank types.

Does anyone know what the law is for keeping records? I work for an agency (Not the SEC) that deals with sensitive information, but after a certain period of time, it is not retained and is destroyed in accordance with law. I note that one of the files mentioned in the OP is from 2002, which would be past the timeframe we are under. The 2008 and 2009 cases would still be within it.

Again, we handle different information, but I am curious what laws the SEC is under as far as retaining information.

Does anyone know what the law is for keeping records? I work for an agency (Not the SEC) that deals with sensitive information, but after a certain period of time, it is not retained and is destroyed in accordance with law. I note that one of the files mentioned in the OP is from 2002, which would be past the timeframe we are under. The 2008 and 2009 cases would still be within it.

Again, we handle different information, but I am curious what laws the SEC is under as far as retaining information.

From the article.

Aguirre said federal law required that documents typically generated in preliminary inquiries be kept for 25 years.

Archived