Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: How do you feel about dreadlocks?

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

. And I had never imagined so many white Rastafarians (a truly lame creature) existed until I moved to Olympia and became familiar with The Evergreen State College (which is a helluva good school if the student wants to do it right).

This is absolutely amazing, I agree. Rastafarianism is at its core a black-power movement, and has its roots firmly planted in The Holy Piby... "the black man's bible".

It's sort of like Dave Chappelle's black KKK skit.

---------- Post added August-15th-2011 at 09:10 AM ----------

You can say the samething about guys trimming their beards into gotees.

ahhh, the shaved head/goatee look, popular among 30+ year old men, usually accompanied by jorts. Gotta love that

jus jokes, people :movefast:

As to the thread title, I don't see a problem with them, if that's your thing, why not- white or black. I will say it must smell terrible to not wash your hair for that long.

I'm white and I have the hair type I could grow dreads. I might just do it someday, when I tire of that pesky job-thingy. :silly:

The people I know with dreads are mostly Jamaican or Haitian. Some of them are Rastafarian and the dreads are part of their religious culture, like forelocks for Orthodox Jews. Those guys get a pass in my book.

Also, if you have a cultural heritage where locks were part of it (Africa, India, Tibet for example) you're good.

Everyone else with dreads needs to stop it now.

I don't care if it makes you feel more authentic, more in tune with the oppressed or somehow makes you think you're much cooler for having them, because it's just sad.

Don't get me started about Ras Whitey rolling up a fatty, dancing (if you can call it that) to Phish and hoping the Black Star Liner is coming to take him back to Africa. Dude, get a haircut, take a bath and maybe lay off the bong for a few days, then get back to me.

Like them. Especially on girls. Sexy!

(im in the minority here)

Everyone else with dreads needs to stop it now.

I don't care if it makes you feel more authentic, more in tune with the oppressed or somehow makes you think you're much cooler for having them, because it's just sad.

Don't get me started about Ras Whitey rolling up a fatty, dancing (if you can call it that) to Phish and hoping the Black Star Liner is coming to take him back to Africa. Dude, get a haircut, take a bath and maybe lay off the bong for a few days, then get back to me.

You sound like Jim Rome

Like them. Especially on girls. Sexy!

(im in the minority here)

You sound like Jim Rome

I'm not familiar with Jim Rome, but I'm assuming that like any "radio personality" he is a first-class *******. Is that right? :)

I probably do sound like him, but I've got some background that informs my dreads-view. I've been playing in a variety of ska/reggae/rocksteady bands as well as Haitian mizik rasin/rara bands for about 20 years so I'm used to encountering lots of dreaded musicians and fans. I've come to be irritated by the dreadlocked white guys. In my experience most of them are not Rastas (the only Rasta tenet to which they adhere is prodigious dope consumption) and don't have any real reason to be wearing dreads other than the notion that Bob Marley did it so it must be cool. To me, these people are disrespecting Rastafarianism even though I'm sure it's not their intent.

I'm not a fan of most "Third Wave" ska, and this song isn't really my style, but I love it anyway (and these guys are pretty cool people) - this sums it up for me: :)

Also, I'm not a huge fan of that religion, but I'm also not a fan of misguided attempts to be cool.

Haha, very cool. Used to listen to Skankin Pickle years ago (and played in quite a few reggae/ska bands myself!).

I hear what you're saying though, but I think for the most part, people dread their hair simply due to style, and don't look into the roots/religion aspect. I've always considered getting it done - at least I know now that most will view me in the highest class of douchebaggery ;)

it all depends. I have a lot of friends with dreads and they arent easy to maintain if you want them to look nice. If you could care less about what they look like, smell like, etc then you shouldnt do em no matter what race you are. If you can put up with the maintenance, then by all means I think they could look good on anyone.

You can say the samething about guys trimming their beards into gotees.

That's a bad look, too. But nowhere near as bad as dreads. That is a horrible look. And it basically screams "I don't care about my appearance".

---------- Post added August-15th-2011 at 01:40 PM ----------

I don't know that one off the top of my head.

They play it constantly on NFLN. You seriously haven't seen it?

That's a bad look, too. But nowhere near as bad as dreads. That is a horrible look. And it basically screams "I don't care about my appearance".

There's a lot of things people do to their appearance that screams "I don't care about my appearance", I just don't think dreads is one of them.

Archived