Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2011 Redskins vs. Steelers Preseason (FINAL)

KDawg

ES Coverage: 2011 Redskins vs. Steelers Preseason

8/12/2011

armstrong081211.jpg

:logo:

VICTORY

Redskins 16 - Steelers 7

:helmet:

MURF'S TAKE (PREGAME)

Hello friend and welcome to another season of Washington Redskins football. While folks are used to seeing my name pop up on gameday, I’m pleased to welcome KDawg into the fold.

ES members looking for the secret of how to win the lotto and earn the chance to cover a Redskins game, KDawg is the answer. He’s a longtime member who is well respected because of his thoughtful posts. He’s someone who enjoys intelligent football conversations (as opposed to name calling and finger pointing).

And most importantly, he’s not someone who asked to cover a game or acted liked we owed him anything. His body of work over the last eight years speaks for itself and we’re thrilled to give him this opportunity.

Now, onto the good stuff.

It’s been a while since the burgundy and gold last saw action (roughly 222 days, not that I’m counting or anything) and ‘Skins fans couldn’t be more excited about a meaningless game.

For starters, this offseason has been a pleasant surprise as head coach Mike Shanahan and friends finally embraced a youth movement. The average of the free agents who have been signed has been considerably younger than in years past and the team’s front office finally decided to give this whole NFL Draft thing a try.

Thanks to the change in philosophy, there are more than a dozen players worth watching in the FedEx Field debut. Any of the 12 draft picks are worth spotlighting – although I’m most interesting in seeing the following players in their first live action:

Ryan Kerrigan, linebacker: Because he’s been so limited in practice as thanks to a knee injury, no one has really had much of a chance to see what he brings to the table.

Jarvis Jenkins, defensive end: Simply put, the defensive lineman has been the team’s biggest stand out throughout training camp. Now it’s time to see what he can do against someone not sporting the same jersey.

Roy Helu, running back: It’s impossible to evaluate a running back when practices are limited to shorts and no pads. Can he pick up a blitz? Will he be the same home-run threat he was at Nebraska? Those are the questions we’ll begin to get answered against Pittsburgh.

Niles Paul, receiver: I’m more interested in seeing how Paul fares on special teams than with the offense. The better he does, the more likely a guy like Brandon Banks or Terrence Austin might not make the 53-man roster.

There’s also players such as Barry Cofield, Stephen Bowen and Jabar Gaffney who should garner plenty of attention in their Washington debut. Or Josh Wilson, Tim Hightower and Chris Chester.

And that’s without even mentioning the wide-open quarterback competition. Is John Beck actually any good? Can Rex Grossman back up his talk from earlier this week that the Redskins can compete for the NFC East title? Should Kellen Clemens be on an NFL roster?

These are questions ‘Skins fans want answers to.

As far as specific positions go, I’m looking forward to seeing what happens in the secondary. I want to know if Kevin Barnes is willing and able to lock down the nickel role at cornerback – especially since Phillip Buchanon will be suspended for the first four games of the season.

I want to see if Chris Horton can rise above the pack and keep a roster spot after the team brought back Reed Doughty. With LaRon Landry, Oshiomogho Atogwe and Kareem Moore all battling injuries, the opportunity is definitely there for the artist formerly known as The Predator.

I’ll also be paying close attention to Darrel Young, who the team is giving every chance to lock down the starting fullback role. Anyone who has ever met Young will tell you he’s a great guy who is completely down to Earth. Now it’s time to find out if he’s skilled enough on the field to warrant the release of a veteran like Mike Sellers.

And finally, can Will Montgomery finally provide some stability at the heart of the offensive line? Casey Rabach was never a fan favorite because too often he was pushed around by bigger, stronger defensive linemen. Well, Montgomery is one of the strongest players in Washington, but does he have what it takes to be a starting center? We’re about to find out.

That’s what I’ll be looking for tonight. And as always, feel free to follow me from the sidelines via my Twitter account for updates and sarcasm throughout the game.

Keep checking in throughout the game as KDawg holds down the fort.

KDAWG'S ADVENTURE IN 'SKINS LAND

Good morning humanoids.

I have just awoken from my slumber in order to get down to Landover to cover this game for you all. Surprised to see its me covering it today? Yeah, me too. Murf contacted me about a week ago and asked if I'd be willing to go down and cover this game for ES.

Let me sum up the phonecall for you:

murf: "Want to-"

me: "yes!"

murf: "I didn't ask you anything yet."

me: "oh right, carry on"

murf: "Do you want to cover a preseason game for ES? Once in a lifetime opportun-"

me: "yes!"

murf: "Awesome, you'll be in the press box during the game and in the locker room with me for interviews after..."

me: ":D"

murf: "You know you can't use emoticons over the phone, right?"

me: "Oh, right. Sorry, force of habit!"

Okay, so that's not exactly how the conversation went, but its the way I remember it! :ols: I, as a Redskin fan, get to go into the press box and the locker room for a game? Preseason or otherwise? How awesome is that?!

My father, who usually comes to most of the Redskin games I attend, decided he wanted to come too, knowing full well that I wouldn't be able to get him in the stadium. He originally planned on trying to scalp his way in (:ols:), but eventually wound up commanderring a green parking pass and a ticket to the game via the good 'ole internet. Too bad, I was kind of hoping to see him try to haggle with a scalper :ols:

Our 6.5 hour trek from Rochester, New York will begin in a couple of hours. Check this thread periodically for updates, as I'll be attempting to give you information on the trip throughout the day, and I'll be updating this thread with gameday information pregame, during the game and post game.

Have I mentioned to any of you that I'm excited? Because I am! So let me start off the time log here for you: (PS: I'm going to attempt to do this "tweet" thing today, as it's easier to do than update this thread on the cell phone on the trip down. I'll have my lap top in the press box, though, no worries. You can follow me @KoSh9984. I'm usually boring. May not be worth the add :ols:)

11:05 PM, Thursday night: Set alarm for 6 AM, attempt to sleep.

4:30 AM, this morning: Wake up, eager to the point you'd think I was going out on a date with Megan Fox or that new Transformers girl. At this point, as I wipe sleep from my eyes, I ran to my computer to get this post up, knowing full well that none of you sane ESers are awake right now.

5:09 AM: Adding this line just to taunt Gibbs Hog Heaven. :pfft:

7:19 AM: on the road. I have Opie and Anthony on the radio.

11:24 AM: people in Pennsylvania lack driving skills

11:58 AM: just realized I paid $1 less for a Monster (I'm available for endorsements) in PA than in NY. #consideringmoving

1:42 PM: the female GPS voice annoys me. However, it should be noted that its better than the male GPS voice.

2:28 PM: checked in at the hotel. Tons of burgundy and gold toting fans here. I'm going to shower and head to the game. Ill change right before I go in in the car. Why? Because its 800 degrees and I'm not wearing dress pants and a polo until I'm ready to go in.

3:18 PM: waiting for the lot to open. Then headed to the tailgate for a bit... see you inside ES'ers!

4:56 PM: waiting on murf. I feel like a 12 year old girl waiting for Beiber to walk by... O-M-G! PS: if I ever say omg again feel free to kick me. Hard. In the mouth.

5:59 PM: I'll be sitting next to CBS Radio. Nice.

6:28 PM: I've ate 3 hot dogs, salad and roast beef and still have room for more. I may not be allowed back in the press box because I'm eating all of their food. #hoorayfattie

6:33 PM: Brandon Banks on field, in uniform.

6:35 PM: John Beck on field in uniform, warming up.

6:47 PM: Beck is throwing with Chappel and Gutierrez to receivers in passing lines.

The Stadium is fairly empty right now as well. And I see a lot of black and yellow. Fans still filtering in, though. No worries.

6:51 PM: Hightower looking really athletic in warm ups working on cuts. Helu looks big, not quite as athletic, but he can definitely move

7:08 PM: Crowd still filtering in. More burgundy in stands than before. Still no inactives list yet.

7:13 PM: No official list, but I'm hearing Hicks, Atogwe, Cooley, Beck, Kelly are all out. Will make it official when I get word.

7:15 PM: Hail to the Redskins about to play on field with the Redskins Marching Band.

7:16 PM: Absolutely gorgeous woman just walked by me in press box. I apologize for going off track, but her beauty needed to be noted. Just sayin'.

7:23 Skins starters: Santana Moss, Trent Williams, Kory Lichtensteiger, Will Montgomery, Chris Chester, Jammal Brown, Fred Davis, Jabar Gaffney, Rex Grossman, Darrel Young, Tim Hightower.

Adam Carriker, Barry Cofield, Stephen Bowen, Ryan Kerrigan, London Fletcher, Rocky McIntosh, Brian Orakpo, DeAngelo Hall, Josh Wilson, Reed Doughty, Chris Horton.

7:28 PM: Terrible Towels all over the place. Wow.

7:36 Pitt wins toss, receiving.

GAME TIME UPDATES

-Sellers out on Teams, Gano kicks out of the back of the endzone. Good kick.

-London has outstanding range. Making play from backside inside position on first play from scrimmage. Hall got beaten badly in man coverage on the first pass, receiver made a move and got free. Cofield and Kerrigan generated solid pressure. Josh Wilson blew a cover 2 assignment, let a man get behind him, pass overthrown to Wallace. Barnes with a nice sack, but he's gotta wrap up.

-Playaction play to Moss against a zone coverage, good throw, Moss made an athletic play. Great PA call on a stretch, Davis wide open. Double Tight Ace formation has occurred a few times on this drive. THT makes GREAT cuts and is elusive, he's a treat. He caught the ball well out of the backfield. OL doing a great job on running plays. They are getting out to the second level very well. Royster not as fluid as THT, but he made a good cut, good sign for this offense. Darrel Young made a very athletic play on the reception. THT made a bad decision on one play, opting to cut outside when he didn't need too, got caught in the backfield. Grossman throws a bad pass on a screen, good thing it wasn't on target, Farrior was right there. 3rd down, threw a pass short of the sticks. We can't be doing that.

-Shayne Graham SHANKS a FG. Not even close. Pulled his head early. Really bad. Looked like me swinging a golf club.

-Skins filled the hole well defensively with good LB play, however, Jarvis Jenkins was blown out of the hole and allowed a gain. Defense is overpursuing. They are over running plays and they are paying for it. Hall got beat again in man coverage, this time by Antonio Brown, ball from Leftwich was overthrown. He made up for it on the next play, though. Stuffs a runner in open space and plays good contain, giving no where for the Steelers receiver to go, fired up after the play, that's why Hall is an asset. Stephen Bowen came down HARD and gets a sack on Leftwich. GREAT job. We're making mistakes but not breaking. That's okay.

-Banks is an elusive little guy. He was tackled about six times on that return. If he's healthy, he's an asset for us. You were right, pez ;)

-Grossman in for second offensive drive. Grossman looked up at the press box instead of carrying out a pass fake on a stretch run by Hightower, you HAVE to carry out your fakes, THT ran for 5, though. Gaffney is getting open, but Monty is the real story. He looks extremely good against Casey Hampton!

SECOND QUARTER

-Second offensive drive continued... As I mention Monty, ghe allows Jason Worilds outside of him, but Worilds misses the tackle. 0/1 on 3rd down going into this play for the 'Skins. Another pass thrown short of the sticks completed to Moss by Grossman. 'Skins going for it on 4th down. Anthony Armstrong on the completion from Grossman for a first down. Armstrong has been in mostly on three receiver sets, only in once when it wasn't a 3-WR set. Grossman goes long on a PA Stretch play to Stallworth, poor decision. Davis was WIDE open on an intermediate route, his decision making hasn't been great, Stallworth was covered well and the ball was over thrown. Pittsburgh's D is flying around the field. 'Skins 0/2 on 3rd down going into this play... Fred Davis gets popped and goes down after causing him to drop the pass, he gets up and limps off the field, but he looks okay. Lawrence Timmons and Ryan Mundy down for Steelers. Everyone appears to be okay. Trent Williams did a GREAT job in pass protection on that play. Kept his body in front of his man and kept a good base. Impressive.

-Sav Rocca in to punt. Sav Rocca punts it well bounced on the one or so, couldn't bat it back. Touchback.

-Rocky and Cofield do a great job closing up the hole, only allowing a gain of three. Kerrigan misses a tackle, gets too far vertical in backfield, Hall makes a good contain play and tackle. Pitt is 0/2 on 3rd down, STUFFED by Kerrigan and Cofield. GREAT play. Cofield is a monster!

-Starters still in on offense. Grossman has all day to throw, complete to Santana Moss for a first time. Ball a little outside of Moss, but not too far and Moss reeled it in. More double tight, ace back formation, Gaffney with another catch, pass on the mark. Jammal Brown and Trent Williams have looked good in pass pro. Another stretch play to THT, Larry Foote stonewalled him, dead in his tracks. Washington is 0/3 on 3rd down going into this play...Gaffney gets passed the sticks, caught for a first down, great protection, great throw, great route. Austin running free!!!! GROSSMAN FINDS HIM! Great play by Terrance Austin, great protection, Grossman has a ton of time. Grossman lucky with another bad decision as Foote bats it down, that seems to be Grossman's issue right now. THT finds another seam, lowers his shoulders and hits the hole hard. I love the way he runs. Santana finds a seam, Grossman finds him, TOUCHDOWN WASHINGTON REDSKINS!!!!

-Gano kicking the XP, bounces it off the upright and it falls in #kickinggameisscary

-Gano kicks off, out of the end zone for a touchback

-Fletcher out, Keyaron Fox in. Antonio Brown gets between Wilson and Horton for a completion. Horton seems slow. Josh Wilson shaken up on the play for a brief pause in the game. Kevin Barnes in to replace him, quarterback pressured by Carriker, who draws a flag for unnecessary roughness. Keyaron Fox got turned around in the hole on the Isaac Redman run, Kevin Barnes makes a nice play to tackle him. Horton misses a tackle at the LOS, Redman breaks free for six.

-Shaun Suisham gets the kick through with no problems for the XP.

-Keiland Williams and Brandon Banks back to return.. Banks gets the ball and breaks it. GREAT return. He's still shifty, the knee injury isn't slowing him down, he needed this performance. 58 yard return!

-Grossman still in, throws a fade ball on first pass, way overthrown, Pittsburgh had closest player to football. Another poor decision. Evan Royster hasn't moved much when cutting, but it's only his second carry. 3rd and 7 here, the 'Skins are 2/5 on 3rd down. Grossman in the gun, Royster does a decent job in pass pro, getting a piece of the incoming Steeler, incomplete, here comes Rocca.

-38 yard punt for Sav Rocca.

-Keyaron Fox fills the hole well and makes the tackle to limit the Steelers Moore to a gain of two. Starters still in for the most part. Rak came hard off the edge, got horse collared, not spotted, Josh Wilson gets called for PI, should be offsetting here. Wilson is having a hard time so far today. Barnes came on the blitz again, comes hard. Fox was in position for a pick, but he's a tough SOB. Barnes beat in what looked to be cover 3, not his fault if it was, played his responsibility, short route broken off of a vertical threat from the receiver.Kerrigan with very good pressure again, came off the edge, might have gotten held and still made a play on the QB, impressive. Pittsburgh is 0/3 on 3rd down going into this next 3rd down... however the previous play is under review... Now the ref informs us its NOT under review... Alrighty then... Back to the game... Rocky with pretty good coverage, and Orakpo attempts to redirect to get pressure but gets picked up.

-Banks back to return... bobbles the faircatch a bit, but secures it.

-Grossman throws to Armstrong, great protection again up front. The OL is the real story so far. Armstrong catches another, great protection again. Gaffney on the reception, more solid protection. Timeout Washington, 30 second timeout. Keiland Williams whiffs on his responsibility, pass still completely to Gaffney, Grossman got rid of the ball quickly. Moss on the reception, more solid protection, wow, the OL is on fire. Timeout #3 for the 'Skins, 30 second time out. Grossman to Moss, 'Skins have to hurry... spike by Grossman.

-Shayne Graham back in for another FG attempt... He misses wide right. #hesintrouble

SECOND HALF

-Clemens in at QB. Good proection, but his pass sails wide of Austin's grip. Protection looked halfway decent.

-Rocca with a fairly bad punt. 33 yard punt.

-Darrion Scott shuts down the run. I see Perry Riley out there and DeJon Gomes out at safety. Keyaron Fox overpursues but maintains his base and comes back to make the play. Rob Jackson came free, but a little bit late as Batch gets the ball away, but it's incomplete. Wes Lyons for the Steelers injured on the play, landed hard.

-Aldrick Robinson back on the return... muffs it, chases it, gets tackled at the 2. Not a good start, Aldrick. Good news is, he can only get better!

-1st and 10 from our own four yard line... Royster hasn't been keeping his feet very well. Helu still hasn't had a carry. Erik Cook getting good movement up front, backside pursuit caught Royster. 'Skins 2/7 on 3rd down going into this play... Clemens pass to Stallworth complete, first down Redskins. Poorly thrown pass, great catch by Stallworth. Clemens throws a good ball, Cook gets beat on pass pro. Royster finds a seam, gets 5. Aother good run by Royster, second team line didn;t get to the second level very well, but it didn't matter much to Royster on that play. Helu checks in... Stretch play... We run a lot of those... Helu gets tackled by the jersey, doesn't look very explosive on his first carry. Good check down by Clemens, Helu on the reception, definitely isn't as quick as Royster or THT. Clemens is calming down a bit. Solid pass pro, Clemens complete to Keiland Williams for five yards, good decision by Clemens. Niles Paul catches a PA pass from Clemens for a big gain. Paul found the seam extremely well. Capers manhandled on the Royster carry. Clemens mobbed, someone missed a protection assignment, likely Royster. 3/7 on 3rd down, Clemens NAILED by Capers man. Capers does NOT keep a body on his defender. Hankerson was the intended receiver, 4th down.

-32 yard FG attempt by Gano... Good. 10-7 Redskins!

-Gano kicks it out of the endzone, touchback. The new return rules are no fun on kickoff...

-Nield is in at nose, Worthington and Scott at Ends. Reggie Jones misses a tackle on the edge. Keyaron Fox misses the tackle, hustles back and helps make the tackle with Gomes. Pitt is 0/5 on 3rd downs going into this attempt... Kedric Gholston stunts down the line and comes almost free, putting great pressure on Batch, but it's a first down for Pittsburgh. Gomes fills the alley and gator rolls for a great tackle. Gholston continues to knife through the offensive line, but Batch is getting rid of the ball quickly. Pitt is 1/6 on 3rd down going into this attempt. Incomplete pass, coverage by Westbrook, but the ball was more dropped than defended.

-Aldrick Robinson back on the return again. Fumbles it again. Not good for his status.

-Clemens back out. Sean Locklear stays with his man to the sideline as Royster carries for a short gain. Capers gets BLOWN back on the run play, but Royster manages to get around it and carry for nine yards. He's been impressive so far. Clemens complete to Stallworth. Stallworth is getting open...

FOURTH QUARTER

-Clemens back in, complete to Paulsen. Draw play, Sellers misses as he goes low for a missible block, Royster tackled. "Skins 3/9 on 3rd down attempts going into this next play...Keliand Williams SMACKS a defender, Royster gets three and a first down, good block there. Timeout 'Skins. That's their first. Clemens delivers a pass to Hankerson... Guess what happened... Dropped. It was IN his hands, easy one to catch. Capers beat again on the Royster six yard gain. 'Skins 4/10 on 3rd down for the game going into this attempt... Clemens to Austin, decent protection. Clemens looking pretty solid. Draw play for Royster. Hurt can have done better in run blocking there, but he got a decent push, just needs to stay with it. Clemens goes through his progressions and throws a duck to Niles Paul way behind him. As soon as I mention him being solid, he does that to me. C'mon, Kellen! 5/11 on 3rd downs going into this play. Clemens hit hard, incomplete, no one picks up the blitz, Willie Smith and Royster were in protection it appears.

-Gano in for the field goal... Good... Flag down... illegal substitution on Pittsburgh. Penalty declined, FG good, 13-7 'Skins.

-Gano on the kickoff... falls off the tee... NO! Hahha... And it's back and ready to be kicked... out of the endzone. Touchback.

-Just in case you're wondering... Perry Riley IS playing, and has been... Fox overflows, allows cutback lane, but John Clay was swallowed up by the Redskin defense. He forced him back inside, not bad. Anderson Russell takes off before the snap, he was probably 23 yards deep at the snap... Think he's playing centerfield? Gomes with the sack. He's been impressive thus far,

-Austin on the return, calls it off, rolls out of bounds.

-Clemens on the field again...Helu in backfield... No gain on carry, no running lane, either. Selvish Capers allows his man through, Clemens got hit hard. Hankerson on the reception. 3rd down, 'Skins 5/12. Clemens incomplete, his line isn't doing him any favors. He had no chance.

-Sav Rocca in to punt... 27 yard punt, fair caught at the 15.

-Paid attendance, 68,320

-Markus White drops a pick that fell in his hands... Blades had it first too. Edgar Jones had a good rush on the outside.

-Hankerson being stretched on the sideline

-Horrendous snap, Scott makes a hustle play and tackles Dixon. Pitt is 1/8 on 3rd down going into this play. Darrion Scott on the pressure, hits Dixon as he delivers an incomplete pass.

-Terrance Austin on the return, breaks a tackle and makes a solid return. He looks like he could be a good return man for us as well.

-Clemens is still in. Stretch play, Helu makes two cuts, good blocking, good run. Great burst there from Helu, finally. Been looking for that. Donovan Raiola in at center, Cook is at right guard now replacing Selvish Capers (whew). Pump fake by Clemens... Fade ball to Austin... Flag down... Illegal contact on Steelers... that's 5 yards and an automatic first down. Xavier Fulton is in at LG, by the way. Hurt looks like he's in at LT. False start on Big Mike Sellers. Not good that his only mentions have been negative ones for a guy fighting to be on the team.

-Gano is now 3/3. 45 yarder.

PHOTOS

6043934266_65e34b3bbc_z.jpg

To see the complete set of ExtremeSkins game photos click HERE

To see a slideshow of ExtremeSkins game photos click HERE

AUDIO

To listen to comments from Lorenzo Alexander click HERE

To listen to comments from Anthony Armstrong click HERE

To listen to comments from Stephen Bowen click HERE

To listen to comments from Barry Cofield click HERE

To listen to comments from Jarvis Jenkins click HERE

To listen to comments from Will Montgomery click HERE

To listen to comments from Brian Orakpo click HERE

To listen to comments from Trent Williams click HERE

MURF'S TAKE

Plenty of people poked fun at Redskins quarterback Rex Grossman's appearance once he re-signed with Washington, but regardless of whether or not he could stand to lose a few pounds, the nine-year pro turned in a respectable performance against the Pittsburgh Steelers in his preseason debut.

Against a talented Steelers defense coming off a Super Bowl appearance, Grossman was on target from the first time he took the field. The 30-year-old completed four of five passes for 53 yards on Washington’s opening drive of the game – including a 16-yarder to receiver Santana Moss on a drive that started on the 1-yard line.

"Anytime you start the season backed up on the 1-yard line and get it all the way down to the 10, that's a good start," said Grossman, who completed 19 of 26 passes for 207 yards and one touchdown. "We got into a rhythm and pretty much played consistent throughout the first half."

John Beck’s name might have garnered more headlines throughout the offseason, but Grossman is now in his third season in offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan’s system. The Redskins went on to defeat the Steelers 16-7 largely because Grossman and friends got the night started off on the right foot.

“I thought Rex did a very good job,” Mike Shanahan said. “He managed the game well. I thought he showed a lot of poise in the pocket. I was happy with the two-minute drive right at the end. He utilized the clock well, and made some good throws.”

Beck will have his chance during the preseason to stake his claim to the starting job, but games like this show why Grossman could ultimately be the team’s starter when the regular season kicks off Sept. 11.

-----

The Redskins had two priorities this offseason – get rid of the off-the-field distractions that plagued this franchise a year ago and get younger across the board.

Granted, we’re only going off of one game – and it’s a meaningless preseason game to boot – but there were definitely more than a few reasons to be optimistic on this night.

The offensive line, which is still viewed by many to be a work-in-progress, was able to buy Grossman enough time to make those plays. Newly-acquired running back Tim Hightower showed why the front office targeted him – rushing for 44 yards on 10 carries.

Not bad for a guy who the Arizona Cardinals basically gave away for free.

On the other side of the ball, the new and improved front seven was able to get pressure in the Pittsburgh backfield thanks to guys like defensive lineman Stephen Bowen, who did a solid job of winning his one-on-one match-ups.

Earlier in the week, defensive lineman Barry Cofield was vocal about wanting to play, and he made his presence known as well. All in all, the Redskins outgained the Steelers 452-186 on the night and dominated time of possession 39:25 to 20:35.

"Quite frankly, we got outplayed in just about all areas: blocking, tackling, running, throwing, kicking,” said Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin. “That team was better prepared tonight than us.”

Trying to break down offensive and defensive schemes during the preseason can be a fruitless exercise because too often coaches are happy to stick to the basics when the games don’t count. But you can still get a look at individual players and see how they fare.

On that front, it’s so far, so good for the Redskins after Week 1.

-----

Two of Washington’s biggest plays on the night came from two of their smallest players. Mini-mites Brandon Banks and Terrence Austin both turned in strong outings in their quest to make the final 53-man roster.

Austin caught a 38-yard pass from Grossman to set up an 8-yard touchdown pass to receiver Santana Moss and Banks returned a kickoff 58 yards and a punt 19 yards, both the longest in the game by either team.

From where I’m standing, the Redskins seemingly have five receivers set to make the roster: with Moss, Anthony Armstrong, Jabar Gaffney, Leonard Hankerson and Niles Paul appearing to have the inside track on making the cut.

That would leave Austin and Banks to compete with a veteran like Donte Stallworth for seemingly one last roster spot, should Washington opt to keep six wide outs. If Austin and Banks continue to produce like this though, the receiver battle could quickly become one of the most intriguing subplots of the preseason.

-----

During the second half of the Steelers game, I had the chance to chat with a buddy of mine named Jordan on the sidelines. Because the Redskins selected 12 rookies during the NFL Draft, we were debating which of the newcomers we were most excited to see in live action.

I mentioned a name or two of players like Jarvis Jenkins and Roy Helu, who I’m anxious to see over the next month and then asked my buddy for his top choice. His answer cracked me up, which is why I’m sharing it with the class.

“Rookies are a lot like musical acts,” he said. “Fans want to ‘discover’ the next big rookie like he’s an indie band or something, but sometimes you just have to go for the big-name act.”

He followed that up by comparing first-round pick Ryan Kerrigan to Lady Gaga, saying that while it might be trendier to root for a lesser-known seventh-round pick, there’s a reason the front office deemed Kerrigan worthy of the 16th overall pick.

-----

With starters such as strong safety LaRon Landry, free safety Oshiomogho Atogwe and tight end Chris Cooley sidelined due to various injuries and ailments coming into the game, the coaching staff had to be pleased to see the Redskins survive the preseason opener without any new injuries to add to the list.

Considering the length of the lockout and the lack of organized team activities and minicamps, it’s a minor miracle that the rest of the roster avoided the injury bug – especially when middle linebacker/lunatic London Fletcher lost his helmet, and yet, refused to slow down in his pursuit of Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (as illustrated in the photo at the top of this post).

In related news, Fletcher was the first defensive starter to be removed from the game. It was as if his coaching staff opted to sit him down because they knew as long as he was in the game, the man only plays at one speed.

Guys like Fletcher are far too valuable to risk in an exhibition game, so kudos to the coaching staff for being wise and limiting the chances of losing the heart and soul of the team a month before the season even starts.

Finally, here’s a link to my favorite photos I was able to capture during the Steelers game. For those who don't want to dive through a ton of photos, these are just a select few shots.

4:30 AM, this morning: Wake up, eager to the point you'd think I was going out on a date with Megan Fox or that new Transformers girl. At this point, as I wipe sleep from my eyes, I ran to my computer to get this post up, knowing full well that none of you sane ESers are awake right now.

You do know with the 6 hours time difference that is was already 10:30 here when you posted it. XD So I was already up.

Now you know how it is to be a European football fan, up early in the morning and no fans around. First game started yesterday at 1:30 and last game ended around 7:15....I woke up at 8:45. Solid 1 1/2 hour sleep.

People who love football don't sleep a lot I gess.

I now officially hate KD.

And just for the record, I could of jumped a plane and been there for breakfast. But oh no, one of ES best, most informed, lucid (which is a MAJOR bonus around these parts), most respected posters get's the call.

I now officially hate Mr Murphy too.

Humph!

Hail.

I think if the Redskins are serious about widening their international fan base they need to get some UK based representation at these games. What do you think GHH?

I'm pretty sure that's the first time spending an evening with me has ever been compared to a date with Megan Fox. Either way, I'm still not putting out for you.

Look, the preseason is all about checking out the younger talent and seeing what skills a newbie can bring to the table. Tonight's game against the Steelers is a chance for an undrafted free agent to earn his place on the roster. The same could now be said about KDawg. No pressure.

I think if the Redskins are serious about widening their international fan base they need to get some UK based representation at these games. What do you think GHH?

Read and learn from this man, for he is the wise one. (Or 'The Oracle' to his friends.).

14,092 combined posts, and over 30 years tirelessly spreading the B&G gospel to those that think your a bunch of pansy's in pads. And this is the reward. There's just no respect left O. A truly shocking turn of events. A sad day for all concerned. (Except that lil' ****** KD and his manipulation of a local situation. Next he'll be throwing up a Chalk Board like he isn't one of the most knowledgeable poster on here. Just as I thought this franchise was back on the straight and narrow again ..... ).

HAil.

Congrats KDawg!!!!!

That's awesome, and certainly well deserved. Always enjoyed your pre-game day breakdown/scouting reports and will certainly be checking in on this thread frequently for updates.

I can't believe its gameday!!! The adrenaline's already pumping!!! The emotions already starting. I'm amped!!! God I hope we don't suck!!!!! Its ok we're gonna be alright!!! Damn why did we have to draw the stealers for the first game!!!!! I just hope everybody stays healthy!!! Did I mention I hope we don't screw something up!!! Oh yeah I mentioned that already!!!! C'mon whens' the game start!!!! I can't believe its gameday!!!!n Congrats again KDawg!!!

JJ' date=' give him a thumbs up for me.......... You can ALL guarantee, I will be rooting from Kansas.........as always :)

Congrats KDawg - you can do it! And, whisper to the players that a fan in Kansas is watching their every move! LOL! :D[/quote']

I've alerted the authorities.

:ols:

Archived