Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GameDay Thread: Preseason Week 1

ACW

From what I understand, Vick always had the potential to be a beast. Not just with is feet but as an actual QB. His problem was that he didn't put in the work to take it that next level. He was just getting by on raw athletic ability. Prison changes a person though--believe me I know--and it seems to have shown him what he has to lose, what he has to be grateful for, and what he has to do to be an actual professional. ****ing shame he plays for Philly..

He was the #1 overall pick after playing basically a year and a half of college football. He throws a tight spiral and can throw the ball farther than anyone in the league. I've never seen an arm like he has. Strong, tight, compact delivery and a quick release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Detnx1ycH0

Really shows how gifted he is. ESPN sports science

He was the #1 overall pick after playing basically a year and a half of college football. He throws a tight spiral and can throw the ball farther than anyone in the league. I've never seen an arm like he has. Strong, tight, compact delivery and a quick release.

The strangest thing about the Vick phenomenom is how much everyone is rewriting his history. He was really goddamn good in Atlanta, just inconsistent.

The story seems to have become that he was a huge bust, which is strange considering he made three Pro Bowls.

The strangest thing about the Vick phenomenom is how much everyone is rewriting his history. He was really goddamn good in Atlanta' date=' just inconsistent.

The story seems to have become that he was a huge bust, which is strange considering he made three Pro Bowls.[/quote']

nail meet head...you absolutely are speaking the truth my friend.........didn't Vick become the first QB to beat GB in the playoffs @ GB when it was below 32 degrees....Crap i may be miss remembering this. but what was it that he did??? OMG, i cant believe that i am this bad with my memory at this young age of 40.....

nail meet head...you absolutely are speaking the truth my friend.........didn't Vick become the first QB to beat GB in the playoffs @ GB when it was below 32 degrees....Crap i may be miss remembering this. but what was it that he did??? OMG, i cant believe that i am this bad with my memory at this young age of 40.....

Pretty sure you're right.

I once read an article about Vick and it said growing up, even the drug dealers in his seedy neighborhood sort of treated him as "off limits" when it came to pushing their wares. Even they were enamored with his physical abilities to the point they knew he was going to be something special.

The strangest thing about the Vick phenomenom is how much everyone is rewriting his history. He was really goddamn good in Atlanta' date=' just inconsistent.

The story seems to have become that he was a huge bust, which is strange considering he made three Pro Bowls.[/quote']

Yeah, it's a stance that became very popular on message boards. People turned "inconsistent passer" to "terrible QB" which couldn't be further from the truth. The Falcons record with and without him when he was there was remarkable. I think the biggest problem was that he wasn't developing as a passer and good teams focused on taking his running out of the equation.

Ummm, no. "Really goddamn good" is revisionist history. Are probowls an accurate measure of performance? Look at the Falcon years, some years weren't pretty at all, like 2004 and 2005.

Other than last year, Vick has never had 25 or more total TDs in a season (passing and rushing). There are so many ways to break down Vick's game. Even combining his total rushing and passing yards, he can hardly be even called a serviceable QB by today's standards, and is hardly an offensive juggernaut. Dude was a fumbling machine with a poor td/int ratio. If you put any stock in the QB rating, his is a paltry 80.9 for his career, even after last years' "greatness". In an era of inflated QB ratings color me unimpressed. Trust me, Falcon's fans aren't losing any sleep over the Matty Ice upgrade.

That being said, last year was a great year for him. Vick does bring a lot of intagibles to the table and opens up offenses; however, he was horrible down the stretch last year, particularly in the playoffs.Let's see how this plays out this year before we make any snap judgements.

Oh yeah, and the whole first to beat GB in GB in the playoffs in the snow is one of the stupidest pieces of selective qualitative trash to reference in a sports argument. Someone had to do it.

**** the Eagles.

From what I understand, Vick always had the potential to be a beast. Not just with is feet but as an actual QB. His problem was that he didn't put in the work to take it that next level.

I remember reading something from Mora where he said he was told by Vick, post-prison stint, that if Mora had put a check for $1,000,000 in with every single game tape Vick was supposed to watch....Mora never would have been out a single dollar.

Becoming a student of the game, even so far into a career, can do SO much for a player that has the raw athletic ability and the proper motivation. I extremely disapprove of Vick as a person, but any objective person has to admit that he ALWAYS had the potential to be an elite passer. His running ability is just the icing on the cake.

I am not exaggerating when I say that I believe that if things had gone differently, if Vick ALWAYS had his head on straight and studied the game even as a rookie, he would have changed the game as we know it.

They went 4-0 in the preseason, then went 0-16 during the regular season. I'm pretty sure that's what he was referring to there.
:yes:

---------- Post added August-12th-2011 at 06:57 PM ----------

They are. ;)
:no: If Stafford became a Skin you'd become a Skin fan :ols:

What happened with San Francisco oline?

I hope you weren't getting that out of my post. Vick was my absolute favorite player to watch in the NFL when he was with Atlanta. He had that Barry Sanders type feel to his game. Bad, bad, bad, OMG DID YOU SEE THAT?!?! I was just hitting on the following...

Yeah, it's a stance that became very popular on message boards. People turned "inconsistent passer" to "terrible QB" which couldn't be further from the truth. The Falcons record with and without him when he was there was remarkable. I think the biggest problem was that he wasn't developing as a passer and good teams focused on taking his running out of the equation.

He was a thrower more than a passer. He had arguably the best arm in the NFL but didn't know how to utilize it to the fullest. He'd just gun it in there--wherever--on a rope. No touch, no reading defenses, no timing really. He was a stud on natural ability alone.

And yes, his WR's were HORRIBLE. He made that team. That's why thinking of him actually putting in the work to be a legit QB is such a scary thought. He's lost a step for sure, but he'd HAVE to lose half a dozen more to put him on the same level athletically as the rest of the QB'S in the league.

I remember reading something from Mora where he said he was told by Vick, post-prison stint, that if Mora had put a check for $1,000,000 in with every single game tape Vick was supposed to watch....Mora never would have been out a single dollar.

Becoming a student of the game, even so far into a career, can do SO much for a player that has the raw athletic ability and the proper motivation. I extremely disapprove of Vick as a person, but any objective person has to admit that he ALWAYS had the potential to be an elite passer. His running ability is just the icing on the cake.

I am not exaggerating when I say that I believe that if things had gone differently, if Vick ALWAYS had his head on straight and studied the game even as a rookie, he would have changed the game as we know it.

Heard that story too. I don't know if he would have changed the game though. When I hear that, I hear that he will change the way football is played. But here's the problem with that: You can turn great athletes into LB's to try to emulate Lawrence Taylor, but you'd be hard pressed to find great athletes with Michael Vick arm to try to emulate him. I think he's a once in generation type of talent.

And Mojo, I've heard that story before about other sports stars. Some kid growing up in a bad area, his talent recognizable to everyone, and nobody wants to mess it up, not even the drug dealers. He's the pride of the community. i think Iverson has a similar story, and from the same community as Vick. Of course there are a lot of people who also want to get in on a Gravy train, wanting to use the athlete for their own gain.

Speaking of athletically-gited QB'S, have the Titans played yet? I'm wondering how Locker is looking.

[color="black"]
Year	G 	GS 	Comp 	Att 	Pct 	Pass 	Avg 	TD 	Int 	Sck 	SckY 	Rate 	Att 	Rush 	Avg 	TD 	FUM 	Lost
2010	12	12	233	372	62.6	3,018	8.1	21	6	34	210	100.2	100	676	6.8	9	11	3
2009	12	1	6	13	46.2	86	6.6	1	0	0	0	93.8	24	95	4	2	-- 	--
2006	16	16	204	388	52.6	2,474	6.4	20	13	45	303	75.7	123	1,039	8.4	2	9	3
2005	15	15	214	387	55.3	2,412	6.2	15	13	33	201	73.1	102	597	5.9	6	11	5
2004	15	15	181	321	56.4	2,313	7.2	14	12	46	266	78.1	120	902	7.5	3	16	7
2003	5	4	50	100	50	585	5.9	4	3	9	64	69	40	255	6.4	1	4	1
2002	15	15	231	421	54.9	2,936	7	16	8	33	206	81.6	113	777	6.9	8	9	6
2001	8	2	50	113	44.2	785	6.9	2	3	21	113	62.7	31	289	9.3	1	6	5
[/color]

Decent stats, but 1st overall pick numbers? I'd hope for better. He made 3 Pro Bowls because he was exciting, not because he was the best QB in the conference.

Alex Smith got destroyed last night. It aint a good sign when your O-line is getting absolutely bumrushed on every play. They very well could end up being the worst team in football, when you consider the apparent state of that line, and the fact that they are worse off at the QB position than we are.

Alex Smith got destroyed last night. It aint a good sign when you O,line is getting absolutely bumrushed on every play. They very well could end up being the worst team in football, when you consider the apparent state of that line, and the fact that they are worse off at the QB position than we are.

didn't they draft two offensive linemen in the first a year or two ago? crazy

Harbaugh wants his boy methinks

didn't they draft two offensive linemen in the first a year or two ago? crazy

Harbaugh wants his boy methinks

Yeah, I think Mike Iupati was one of them. Maybe they just had a bad night, who knows...

Kind of reminded me of the last half of '08, where Campbell would face immediate pressure as soon as the ball was snapped. That was ridiculous.

I don't even know how Smith still has a job right right now to be honest. The guy is in his seventh season. If he hasn't gotten now, he never will.

Wow, the Giants don't look very good on offense right now (first team).

And McNabb looks the same as he did here in DC, always the victim, it's not his fault drives are stalling and balls are hitting the ground.

On the other side, the Titans O looks decent, Locker looks pretty good too.

Cam Newton is coming up, probably in the 2nd quarter, right now Clausen is with the 1st team for Carolina.

Also, Colt McCoy looked fantastic in his time against the Packers 1s, they didn't have either of their 2 starting CBs playing, but McCoy was very accurate and had some great passes.

Minnesota has Webb starting over Ponder with 2nd string.

Wow, the Giants don't look very good on offense right now (first team).

And McNabb looks the same as he did here in DC, always the victim, it's not his fault drives are stalling and balls are hitting the ground.

Some good plays by the Panther CBs and the Giants let two targets go in the offseason.

:ols: Panthers playing this game like it's their SB. They just did a trick play.

---------- Post added August-13th-2011 at 08:00 PM ----------

Some good plays by the Panther CBs and the Giants let two targets go in the offseason.

Yeah, you can tell the Panthers REALLY want this game.

And once again the media shows that they're ******* idiots. "Sage Rosenfels, he started a LOT of games when Steve Spurrier was the HC in Washington."

How many games did Sage start in DC? ZERO. He didn't even have ANY stats as a Skin. He spent one season as the 3rd stringer.

Also, Giants kicker Tynes has missed two FGs. He looks like he's doing a Shayne Graham impression.

Archived