Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carlos Rogers takes some [not so] subtle shots at the Skins

SkinsGuru

His quotes are laughable. No big names this year in FA or the draft. No big names last year in FA or the draft (Minus McNabb trade). He was replaced by Josh Wilson (certainly not a big name). Carlos never took responsibility for his own inconsistent play and always placed the blame elsewhere. His true value was proven out by the market. Considering Golston, Doughty, 'Tana, and Rocky all came back and PD sounds like he would in a heartbeat, Rogers loses credibility. Bottom line is dude wanted to get paid and got mad that he never got the big contract year. Can you blame the Skins though? He was playing at an all pro level the first half of the '08 season but then gets benched late in the 2nd half of the season. And the notion that his job is to cover and not catch the ball is ridiculous. When you're in position for an easy pick and don't come up with it, not only was he not scoring for us, he was giving the other offense another opportunity to score which many times they took advantage of.

Who are the big names that have been brought in the last couple of years in FA?

Yes there was the trade for McNabb but I saw that more as trying to sure up the QP situation in a hurry. Any players that were not thought to work out are gone and the team now is largely young and there was no flashy signings

Yeah, like Haynesworth... :rolleyes:

Carlos *was* right. At least until now.

If you look at what Shannahan is doing now you have to say that he agrees with Rogers assessment of the past. The funny thing is that if he were still here, he would probably look around and say the same thing about the players we have brought in... That we finally stopped focusing on big name acquisitions have a hungry group of young talented players who are ready to work hard to get better.

No hard feelings Carlos. Good luck with your new team.

He's not saying anything that hasn't already been said. We've spent countless threads over the years basically saying the exact same thing. Even with the new regime, they got some issues still to work out. I don't think you can really go at Carlos for saying things we say all the time, and that most people believe on their own. Kinda hard to blame a guy who's been here for a while finally getting fed up with it. And his one year under Shanny wasn't anything to make you wanna come back for more.

You guys are choosing to remember THE BAD. I will love Stone Cold for his solid coverage and calling OUT THE FO in 2009 when we were all FED UP. Los was the only player to take a stand against Danny Ceratto.

Good luck in San Fran Los. Hopefully things get better for you.

HAIL THE GOOD TIMES

Yeah, the most telling thing about Rogers is where he was ranked by GMs across this league. Good corners are a premium. He had to settle for a one year deal. No one really wanted him. Average coverage corner with below average hands.

If I recall correctly throws targeted at his receiver were completed 75% of the time. That's sounds really bad. In addition, he's a quitter.

There's a lot of decent players settling for one year deals. I don't think that necessarily means anything.

There's a lot of revisionist history though about Carlos Rogers. Now all the sudden he's not any good, whereas previously, he had a pretty good rep as a cover corner.

This is why we needed to let him go. He was a holdover from past regimes and remembered those big spending days vividly. To the point where he thought we were still in them. Buh-bye.

+1. We needed to get rid of him, and CP in the same sort of way. I hope the redskins stay away from the big splash FA deals for a long time. I loved this offseason.

Isn't SF the same team owned by a guy who predicts his team will make the playoffs even after they've started 0-10 or something like that?

Isn't Carlos the same guy who takes shots at his teammates in the media?

Let's be honest...the guy is just stupid. I think we need to simply accept the fact that some of these guys are not very bright. They play football.

Anyone ever hear Carlos talk? Each sentence that comes out of his mouth is painful. I'm tempted to mail him a book, because I'm sure he's never read one in his entire life.

Way I see it, his issue is two-fold...

1. Yes, he was brought up in a certain culture in Washington. Portis' antics, Haynesworth's massive payday & then subsequent tantrums, go sign McNabb, etc. So I can kind of see his point to an extent. Lets overpay for outside talent, and put up with too much from our own "stars". He's right, that has been the way.

HOWEVER....

2. He also found out real quick that he's not a top tier corner like he thought he was. Seems the new regime here realized that. He either had to take the San Fran deal, or sit. So, he's kinda forced to talk the "work ethic" slant to save face. He got slapped upside the noggin with a little reality. If he'd have performed on the field like he did in his head, he'd be able to talk a lot more smack.

I always thought he was a decent cover corner. Not spectacular, but not horrible. But when you have that many gift wrapped INT's.... I mean, when you grab one, and the fan base collectively shouts "HOLY ****, HE CAUGHT IT!!!!".... yeah, you ain't gettin the fat contract.

What Carlos said maybe true about the old regime but it is definitely not what we have going on now. We got rid of the divas (including him) and are using the team first approach. I understand he still feels some type of way about leaving here but the fact is, WE DIDNT WANT HIM! He almost makes it sound like he was such a hot commodity. It's disrespectful to say insinuate that we don't have hard working guys who want to win and get better. Rak, Fletch, D. Hall, LaRon, Tanaman, AAA and a bunch of other guys work hard day in and day out. Los can go on with his sour grapes and try to reinvent himself in San Fran.

Isn't SF the same team owned by a guy who predicts his team will make the playoffs even after they've started 0-10 or something like that?

Isn't Carlos the same guy who takes shots at his teammates in the media?

Let's be honest...the guy is just stupid. I think we need to simply accept the fact that some of these guys are not very bright. They play football.

Anyone ever hear Carlos talk? Each sentence that comes out of his mouth is painful. I'm tempted to mail him a book, because I'm sure he's never read one in his entire life.

Don't you dare tell me you are Portis fan. :ols:

Other than McNaab, that was before Shanny. Certainly doesn't apply to this year. He just had to cry over spilled milk a bit. The Redskins just never gave him the contract he thought he deserved. The truth is that he never lived up to expectations.

Well, I was able to put up with Portis because he actually played hard, but yes, I also grew tired of his act in the media too and how he felt every thought that popped in his head somehow needed to be expressed publicly.

Portis played hard on game day. The problem is he didn't put in the work when the spotlight wasn't on him, and because of that he had less to give no matter how hard he tried on game day as well.

Portis played hard on game day. The problem is he didn't put in the work when the spotlight wasn't on him, and because of that he had less to give no matter how hard he tried on game day as well.
Like Landry isn't putting in work now? Players get hurt as they get older. CP took beatings, especially with the running required by Gibbs 2.0. He still brought it on game day.

As far as Los goes, I'm disappointed to hear how rotten a team mate he actually was. I still choose to remember him also being a good corner for us 2005-2008.

Hail!

There's a lot of decent players settling for one year deals. I don't think that necessarily means anything.

There's a lot of revisionist history though about Carlos Rogers. Now all the sudden he's not any good, whereas previously, he had a pretty good rep as a cover corner.

Justice, not saying you don't have a point, but I seem to remember a similar thread like this practically every year since it was time for Los to re-contract after his lucrative initial signing. To use the word revisionist might be a little over the top. Just sayin'.

Hrm... As has been pointed out, if the Panther's skipped him... and if the Skins passed him up at the price he's making now...

He’d been hoping for a big contract, but reports indicate that he’ll receive $4 million-$4.25 million.

I find it hard to believe the Skins didn't want to match that, or beat it in guaranteed money over two or three years. Lots of blustery talk from Los for not much payoff.

The entire Redskins culture was based around "other team's superstars". Anyone remember the Haynesworth, Jason Taylor, Archuleta, Shaun Alexander, Deion, Bruce Smith, Mcnabb, Willie Parker, Larry Johnson signings?

Wow, you guys sound like Carlos had sex with your wife... bitter much?

This is the FIRST year where we've not made a spalsh in the offseason. Probably due to the fact that the offseason started 2 weeks ago

Can anyone actually explain how Carlos is wrong without making fun of him like an adult? Carlos sucks, there's no question about that. But i put more stock into a guy that was actually employed by the team then a bunch of fans with internet access.

Rogers never had a good rep as a great corner anywhere outside of Redskins homers. Carlos couldn't catch or make any TO's, he would often get beat deep right after making a decent play and never had any great physical tools as he has only relatively average speed. Most people around the league would have said he was no different than dozens of other decent corners out there like Leigh Bodden, Quentin Jammer etc. etc. but with the major drawback of being inept at getting any INTs, unlike most of the other corners who have the same exact coverage skills.

I don't think its revisionist to point that out, nor is it to point out that Carlos has mentioned off and on many times in the past that he'd like a good, lucrative deal. It sounds to me like hes just bitter that the league really doesn't think hes much more than a nickel corner.

---------- Post added August-6th-2011 at 06:29 PM ----------

The entire Redskins culture was based around "other team's superstars". Anyone remember the Haynesworth, Jason Taylor, Archuleta, Shaun Alexander, Deion, Bruce Smith, Mcnabb, Willie Parker, Larry Johnson signings?

Wow, you guys sound like Carlos had sex with your wife... bitter much?

This is the FIRST year where we've not made a spalsh in the offseason. Probably due to the fact that the offseason started 2 weeks ago

Can anyone actually explain how Carlos is wrong without making fun of him like an adult? Carlos sucks, there's no question about that. But i put more stock into a guy that was actually employed by the team then a bunch of fans with internet access.

Second year, not first. Unless somehow I was sleeping and completely missed whatever these big name signings the Redskins made last year.

I am sure there's an element of truth to Carlos' veiled accusations but I also think the main culprits are gone or will be gone soon. From what I have gathered we're talking about a few high-profile guys who set a tone for nightlife and prima dona locker room tactics. If I were to name 2 I'd probably go with Clinton Portis on the offensive side and Albert Haynesworth on the defense. If any still remain I'd look for them to conform or be tossed by season's end. Shanahan has his faults but he doesn't tolerate loafers.

You're right and so is Carlos. Our team has "revolved around superstars and who's the next player coming to the team." He was drafted in the Gibbs II era which had a litany of overpaid players including Arculeta, Randle El, Lavar, CP, etc.

It finally appears as though this is starting to change.

HTTR.

Archived