Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carlos Rogers takes some [not so] subtle shots at the Skins

SkinsGuru

• 5 months later...

I don't know how I feel about Los playing in the NFC championship game. The guy is a pro bowl starter and seems to be having the best season of his career. Good for him, but bad for the Redskins for let a guy this talented go. Though I blame the the coaches for allowing him to walk, I put some of the blame on our fan base. Yeah we invest in the team and feel as though we should have a say-so in who should stay and who should go but this is why the organization continues to make bonehead decisions. The owner listens to the fanbase which ultimately leads to situations like this. It is time for us to give up our Arm Chair GM cards and let the organization do what they think is best. Los would have wanted to stay but the fans were so vocal about him not catching the football. The team is under new direction and the fans need to change how we go about our business, and support the players faithfully while they are wearing the burgandy and gold. #HTTR

. . . Good for him, but bad for the Redskins for let a guy this talented go. Though I blame the the coaches for allowing him to walk, I put some of the blame on our fan base. Yeah we invest in the team and feel as though we should have a say-so in who should stay and who should go but this is why the organization continues to make bonehead decisions. The owner listens to the fanbase which ultimately leads to situations like this. It is time for us to give up our Arm Chair GM cards and let the organization do what they think is best. Los would have wanted to stay but the fans were so vocal about him not catching the football. The team is under new direction and the fans need to change how we go about our business, and support the players faithfully while they are wearing the burgandy and gold. #HTTR

A lot in this post to respond to. I'll try to go in order:

1. It is hard to suggest that Rogers would have had the same type of year he is currently having in San Fran if he had stayed in D.C. Based on his history here, it is highly unlikely. Nobody ever doubted his talent, as he was a solid corner. But how did he suddenly become a pro bowler? Change of scenery can make all the difference in the world (a point that I specifically address next)

2. The Skins didn't just "let this guy go." He wanted to leave. He needed to get out of D.C. for his own good. Once that happened, the light bulb finally went on and he suddenly learned that actually catching the ball can be the difference between wins and losses.

3. Your idea that the fan base played any role into why he is gone is laughable. For starters, we do not have that kind of power, ESPECIALLY now with Coach Shanahan running the show. Along with the rest of the coaching staff, Bruce Allen and Shanahan made the decision to let Carlos go. Although I am not an insider of any kind, I can assure you that our reaction to Carlos' drops had NOTHING to do with the team's decision.

4. All reports are that Carlos DID NOT want to stay. We could have treated him like a king and he still wanted to go.

I don't know how I feel about Los playing in the NFC championship game. The guy is a pro bowl starter and seems to be having the best season of his career. Good for him, but bad for the Redskins for let a guy this talented go. Though I blame the the coaches for allowing him to walk, I put some of the blame on our fan base. Yeah we invest in the team and feel as though we should have a say-so in who should stay and who should go but this is why the organization continues to make bonehead decisions. The owner listens to the fanbase which ultimately leads to situations like this. It is time for us to give up our Arm Chair GM cards and let the organization do what they think is best. Los would have wanted to stay but the fans were so vocal about him not catching the football. The team is under new direction and the fans need to change how we go about our business, and support the players faithfully while they are wearing the burgandy and gold. #HTTR

I'm more of the mindset that he simply wasn't going to work out here. He was too comfortable, and bought into the old-culture do the bare minium attitude. Then the fans and the organization disrepected him (constant insults, jokes, etc.) which he was surely aware of. Getting let go provided him with the motivation he needed to have this pro bowl year-- motivation he would never have received here. I suspect that this will be his peak, and we'll see more of the old Rogers in the next couple years.

Your idea that the fan base played any role into why he is gone is laughable. For starters, we do not have that kind of power, ESPECIALLY now with Coach Shanahan running the show. Along with the rest of the coaching staff, Bruce Allen and Shanahan made the decision to let Carlos go. Although I am not an insider of any kind, I can assure you that our reaction to Carlos' drops had NOTHING to do with the team's decision.

I respect your opinion but we are the reason Chris Cooley is still on the team. I love Chris and he has done a lot for this team but the fans kept him around. I am friends with an recent ex-player on this team and they would tell you the same thing.

All reports are that Carlos DID NOT want to stay. We could have treated him like a king and he still wanted to go.

Carlos would tell you himself that if the fans wanted him to stay around, he would have stayed around. D.C. fans are the best fans in the world, but we also think we have the answers to solve everything.

In defense of the current coaching staff.. I don't think that they didn't believe Carlos could play or wasn't worth the money.

Carlos was just stained by this organization and the years prior to the current staffs arrival. Carlos didn't want to be here.

You had to let him go whether you wanted him to stay or not.

In defense of the current coaching staff.. I don't think that they didn't believe Carlos could play or wasn't worth the money.

Carlos was just stained by this organization and the years prior to the current staffs arrival. Carlos didn't want to be here.

You had to let him go whether you wanted him to stay or not.

yep. it was a decision that needed to be made. he wouldnt have had a good season here, he wasnt good for the locker room, and he didnt want to be here.

I respect your opinion but we are the reason Chris Cooley is still on the team. I love Chris and he has done a lot for this team but the fans kept him around. I am friends with an recent ex-player on this team and they would tell you the same thing.

Carlos would tell you himself that if the fans wanted him to stay around, he would have stayed around. D.C. fans are the best fans in the world, but we also think we have the answers to solve everything.

To your credit, bringing up Cooley's place on the team is an interesting point.

Regarding Carlos, of course he would tell us that he wanted to stay around. What athlete would say otherwise, and risk alienating a fan base? I am pretty sure we can ask players from all the teams who for example have horrible attendance (Jacksonville, St. Louis, etc.), and players like MJD or Sam Bradford would say "we have the best fans in the world."

Isn't that what every Redskins player says after they leave here. Doubt it's just Rogers taking shots, just speaking the truth.

He's right... even before this season was over, we were talking about the offseason. Well, I guess we didn't start until our playoff hopes were dashed.

Can't blame him for not wanting to be here. At some point, these guys want to play for something. Not to mention the ignorant fans who were constantly calling for his job. Good for you Carlos, get yours.

Sorry, but I don't have any sympathy for him. I defended his play for years, but he decides to not get his damn eyes fixed after so many seasons of dropped INTs, working on INTs in the offseason, hearing all the criticism for it, and only when he gets a 1 year deal from the 49ers and no other team and his ass is truly on the line, does he finally go and get them fixed.

Nobody was willing to pay him what he wanted, but he blasts the Skins like they're the only team that was unwilling to pay him. To think, all he had to do was get that eye surgery early in his career, you know, show dedication and fix the cause of his biggest criticism, and he would have gotten the big contract he wanted, likely from the Skins. But he didn't, he will be 31 this summer which is getting up there in NFL years, and probably he'll be like Walt Harris where Skins fans regret it for a season or two and then never hear from him after that.

Carlos could have been great for us, but decided that getting eye surgery to fix his biggest problem wasn't appropriate until he was 30 and on a 1 year deal with the 49ers b/c nobody else would sign him.

I'll say this, I'm sick of drafting defensive backs top ten. It never works out for us. Champ Baily is still balling out in Denver while Portis is a bad memory. Carlos Rogers is killing it for San Fran. Laron Landry is likely gone after this season.

Meanwhile we have Deangelo Hall making an ass of himself.

Carlos is going to be paid after this year. Good for him. I don't know the story behind his eyes and why the Skins were never able to figure that out. But I've had doubts about their training and medical staffs for years, even if they've been turned over.

As far as Champ Bailey, he owes Tebow for that Steeler game. On the that scoring drive at the end of regulation, Champ gave up two big passes and got his ankles broken on a running play landing him on his butt. Don't know why, but he always came up biggest when it mattered the least and gave up the big play when he needed to make the stop.

He didn't get the Nnamdi contract he was counting on and is playing the best year of his career by light years. Let's see what happens next year if he gets big money. Either way, good for him. I don't really miss him.

I agree with everything in this post. He didn't get the contract he wanted (from us or anyone else), which finally woke him up and lit a fire under his rear. Now he is playing well on a 1-yr contract in SF, knowing he's got to work hard for that next big payday.

If we had re-signed him to a big contract here, he'd have been the same old complacent "No-D" Rogers that we grew frustrated with, so it wouldn't have solved anything.

yep. it was a decision that needed to be made. he wouldnt have had a good season here, he wasnt good for the locker room, and he didnt want to be here.

Exactly.

Rogers was never going to be good here.

He was too corrupted by the 'Club Med/Inmates running the asylum' ways here, pre-Shanahan. Rogers had been here his whole career, so he obviously thought that was the way things were, and he naturally rebelled when Shanahan tried to change things.

Rogers needed to go somewhere else to get a fresh perspective on the ways of NFL teams, the locker room, and what was expected of him if he wanted to be a good player.

He never would've been good here (thanks to Snyder and Cerrato). He is a better player elsewhere, and we'll be a better team with him gone.

Archived