Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where will Cooley end up in Skins lore?

jpage520

Thanks for saying this for me. I couldn't think how to word it but you summed it up nicely.

I'd agree with that assessment as well. I'll never forget that game. I remember saying to myself after that game, "We swept Dallas, we actually swept Dallas..." It was like I foreign concept back then.

He's never been the most athletically gifted or talented, however, he has worked hard for what he's gotten. A surprise 3rd rounder who many coaches wrote off in the 2004 draft, he has surprised and been one of the most consistent players since. Aside from Gates and Gonzales who are also faaar more talented, name me another TE with the numbers of Cooley since 2004? He got 849 yards in 2010, which says a lot seeing how crappy our team was.

On top, he is apparently a great guy and super approachable. I say apparently since I myself haven't met him, but I have never heard a negative review of the guy. You talk about what the people want to portray the NFL as, Cooley is it, someone who has worked hard to earn what he has despite not being the most gifted.

Jason Witten.

Well as of now, he only needs two receptions to become the Redskins TE with the most catches all-time, surpassing Jerry Smith. So statistically he is already a part of 'skins lore.

Add to that the fact that Cooley has been a fan favorite, the fact that he was drafted by Joe Gibbs, and that one time when he caught 3 TDs against Dallas.

I say he is one of the best TEs we have ever had, if not the best.

Q66iwj_yKmI&NR=1

Dallas Clark, Jason Witten, Todd Heap is up there b/c he's a much better blocker, Kellen Winslow (2006), Vernon Davis (2007 entry), and Owen Daniels is up there since he's been in .

Eh... no. Out of the group you listed only witten and clark are in Cooley's league in terms of production and one of them has one of, if not the greatest, qb of all time dissecting defenses in an offense that is pass-heavy. And Cooley still has more receptions, yards, and ypc than clark even with clark having one more year in the league. Whether Cooley is HoF material or not is largely dependent on the Skins success with him in his remaining years on the team though he'll never be a first ballot guy if there has ever been such a thing with a t.e. But assuming he stays healthy and his career follows the trajectory it's had so far he is easily one of the best to ever play the position for the Skins and he is deserving of the love the fanbase shows him and a RoF honor.

He's Don Mattingly. A local fave who isn't going to the hall of fame and was a bright spot on lots of ****ty teams.

Of course the story isn't written yet but that's the chapter we are on now I think.

That is exactly who I thought of when I saw the title of this thread.

Eh... no. Out of the group you listed only witten and clark are in Cooley's league in terms of production and one of them has one of, if not the greatest, qb of all time dissecting defenses in an offense that is pass-heavy. And Cooley still has more receptions, yards, and ypc than clark even with clark having one more year in the league.

Throughout his career Clark has also been the 3rd option consistently. That suppresses his numbers a little bit.

I don't know whether I would give the go head on Ring of fame for Cooley or not. One could definitely argue he should be there. One could probably argue against it as well.

Honestly, the Ring of Fame criteria is pretty low, at least compared to the NFL Hall of Fame. I'd say Cooley is an absolute shoe-in. He is one of about maybe 3 guys who are the face of th Redskins throughout the 2000s.

I mean, have you looked at that list? Dave Butz? Billy Kilmer?

These aren't dudes that most fans of other NFL teams have even heard of.

Well yeah, the ROF for a team isn't always the greatest players with the best stats. It's designed for the guys that are involved in defining the franchise. This team has been terrible for the past few years but Cooley, Moss, and Portis have all been the primary bright spots of bad to sometimes mediocre offenses and in my opinion those are the kinda things that at least deserve consideration for the ROF. The ROF at OUR stadium is not really designed for other teams fans to recognize the names but for our fans to. I look forward to the day that I take my kids to a game and ask who was "47 Chris Cooley" and I can tell them all about Captain Chaos and his Cowboy killing and dependability.

Honestly, the Ring of Fame criteria is pretty low, at least compared to the NFL Hall of Fame. I'd say Cooley is an absolute shoe-in. He is one of about maybe 3 guys who are the face of th Redskins throughout the 2000s.

I mean, have you looked at that list? Dave Butz? Billy Kilmer?

These aren't dudes that most fans of other NFL teams have even heard of.

Butz is way deserving of the ROF. I will give you that Kilmer is questionable, but he's one of the more memorable QB's in Redskins history for both good and bad reasons. Ken Harvey I really don't get at all. As for them being dudes that most fans of other NFL teams haven't heard of, well, that's why it's a Redskins ring of fame. And I would argue that NFL fans from that timeframe know those names well anyways. Madden was in love with Butz during the period of time that the Redskins were prime time viewing. I wouldn't be upset if Cooley gets in, but I don't think he's a shoe-in.

But seriously, Butz is an example of the Skins having a low standard for entrance? That's just crazy talk.

My guess is eventually, us fans will realize that Cooley had an insane game against the Cowboys in 2005 and has made a living off of this community because of it for the last six seasons plus. Fred Davis will be much better when he's given the chance (and HAS been better when given the chance).

• 2 weeks later...
Cooley has no business in being a part of the Ring of Fame.

I was going to go through all the reasons this is wrong, like Cooley's big game against Dallas in 2005, or the way he stepped up in 2007 after Sean Taylor was killed (RIP), or the fact that he will hold all the Redskins records for TE's by the end of this season, but then I saw your post history.

You obviously just have an axe to grind here. Why all the hate for Cooley? I just do not get it. Have you actually watched this team for the past seven years? He has consistently been one of our best players on offense during that stretch. Do you just like Fred Davis that much?

Archived