Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where will Cooley end up in Skins lore?

jpage520

Like many of the Burgundy and Gold faithful Chris Cooley has and always will hold a special spot for me as a fan. We've watched his career bloom from the start. From being a dependable go to guy in key situations. Even being a game breaker in some instances. You almost always hear in the stands or in a review of a loss "They should've thrown it to Cooley!" or "Cooley's wide open every time!". When you go to a game the most popular and common jersey numbers you see are always #21, #89, #26, and #47. I think it's safe to say that Chris Cooley is one of this fanbase's favorite current Redskins. From his tremendous presence on the field to his anti-Dallas propaganda and Skins pride on his blog. The man is a modern day Mr. Redskin. My question is, where does he end up at the end of his career? Does he retire a Redskin? Does he at some point make it to the Fedex ROF? Does he get traded to an NFC East team and kill us every year? Where does he end up in the lore of the Washington Redskins? I personally hope he finishes his career here in D.C.

Love me some Cooley too. I can't imagine him ever playing for an NFC East team other than us. I could see him just walking away from the game if he was traded or whatever. Rich, hot wife, local hero, making pottery as a side project,... sounds like a charmed life. Why leave?. I think he could be successful elsewhere, though. Ring of Fame, No. That's based on absolutely nothing other than opinion based on constant lurking of ES.

I hope he spends his entire career here. Player's like Cooley are really give me extra motivation to endure all these bad seasons the 'Skins have, because I know people like Cooley are on the team who deserve to not only win a championship, but win one as a 'Skin.

Cooley should be hitting his prime in my mind. Hopefully injuries haven't slowed him down that much. Fans on this board hate on him way too much. Just because we have Davis doesn't mean we need to move our pro bowl tight end.

Exactly. Cooley is the effin man! There's no way I can ever see him playing for anyone else, and no way I ever see him wanting to play anywhere else. He's a diehard Skin, through and through. I expect him to retire as one.

If he left the team now he'd probably in the same place as Portis. One of the best at his position in team history but plagued by the failures of the team during his career... But I think there is still time for guys like Cooley, Moss, Fletcher to play for a good Redskins team and be a star on a winning team, not just a bright spot in darkness.

If he left the team now he'd probably in the same place as Portis. One of the best at his position in team history but plagued by the failures of the team during his career... But I think there is still time for guys like Cooley, Moss, Fletcher to play for a good Redskins team and be a star on a winning team, not just a bright spot in darkness.

The thing is though Cooley is much younger than both Moss and Fletcher, so he still has plenty of time to be on successful Redskin teams in the future.

Completely agree with Crazy Levi. Cooley has been a consistent player on this team. He has earned 2/3 pro bowl appearance despite having offenses that are less than spectacular.Cooley is probably in the range of player like Jerry Smith. Many fans will remember him and how good he was, but is not in a HOF discussion.

How he might end up could be summed up very simply by the way fans greet him and/or his catches on the field. 20 years from now,he could be announced as being at a Redskins game and I'm betting the place will be ringing with "Cooooooooooooooooooley!" And that's pretty cool right there. :)

I believe he's more than just a local favorite. I talk to fans of other teams and he's almost always the first name brought up along with Moss. For a tight end to have that kind of notoriety is something in and of itself. As far as people saying he's over the hill or a has been or his best years are behind him, the numbers dont't lie. His TD count went down in the past couple years, but his reception count last year was the second highest of his career, his yardage matched his career high, and has consistently played every game of the season every year of his career minus his injury in '09. The man is in the midst of his prime, and I think we've yet to see the best still.

Cooley's a good tight end; charismatic and fun off the field. But that's about it, he's not a superstar as he seems to drop too many passes in my opinion.

He's the typical "we've sucked so long so we need to grab onto SOMETHING to make us happy" player we've fallen in love with.

Like Moss, he's enamored himself to the fans due to a big game versus Dallas, i.e. the 35-7 beat-down in DC when Cooley went off.

I'm glad he's ours though.

He will go down as a forgettable fan favorite.

We should have traded him last season and we should still trade him now. He can't block and we have a more explosive and suitable replacement on the team. If we can get a third or fourth we should.

Cooley has one of the " coolest" names, he's the whiteface of the franchise. Was really effective for a few seasons.but now He's a name and that's why he is always get the pro bowl nominee vote or whatever. his numbers have been have been average for the last few seasons, he won't get cut or traded, and I do think we on the board get frustrated of his play sometimes. But that's only bc we expect or just want more from this guy. Rof, no hof, IMO

Anyone know how he stacks up to other Redskin TEs? Or or other TEs league-wide?

Personally I love Cooley. I know his rec and yds are normally near the top of the league. I have no idea about drops, but I put his low tds on our poor offenses.

Objectively, I don't see how someone can possibly make the argument that he's a has been.

Archived