Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Russell of WTEM on Brandon Banks (per interview, no link): Banks may be gone

Skadden

To me, it's a numbers game as much as anything. I see 6 WRs max making the cut. That includes Moss, Armstrong, and Hankerson as locks. Gaffney would have to do a lot not to make the team. That means guys like Kelly, Robinson, Paul, Austin, and Stallworth are fighting for two spots. And most of them bring more to the table overall without the off the field issues. Banks is a good return man. He also has ball security issues, is one dimensional, and brings injury and off the field concerns. A guy like Robinson might provide 90% of the return ability with a lot more elsewhere. So that means Banks is expendable.

according to the stats, Brandon Banks had zero fumbles lost. what is this ball security nonsense?

To truly grade a player, you base it on Fumbles, not Fumbles Lost. Having a lower total in Fumbles Lost is pure luck. But fumbling is not.

You're going to give Banks credit, if some fat Redskin inadvertently lands on a ball, that Banks was responsible for fumbling ?

Something else people fail to account for is his height, which makes it very difficult for a defender to launch at him with full momentum, and makes it easier for Banks to get to the ground.

Are you kidding? We are talking about special teams here. Banks' move was to hit the corner and head up field. He would take plenty of hits on the sideline where the defenders had the angle on him because his blockers didn't clear the path for him. He took a lot of solid hits last year.

To truly grade a player, you base it on Fumbles, not Fumbles Lost. Having a lower total in Fumbles Lost is pure luck. But fumbling is not.

You're going to give Banks credit, if some fat Redskin inadvertently lands on a ball, that Banks was responsible for fumbling ?

Not to mention, most of his runs had him heading up the sideline where the ball went out of bounds if/when he fumbled it. He was benched in the Packers game because of this!

Are you kidding? We are talking about special teams here. Banks' move was to hit the corner and head up field. He would take plenty of hits on the sideline where the defenders had the angle on him because his blockers didn't clear the path for him. He took a lot of solid hits last year.

Not to mention, most of his runs had him heading up the sideline where the ball went out of bounds if/when he fumbled it. He was benched in the Packers game because of this!

I'm not sure what you've proven, since I was clearly responding to the notion that he is bound to get broken into a tiny million pieces. So he took some solid hits last year and is still walking--he didn't have his torso separated like so many on here claimed would happen.

Your point, in regards to how it responds to mine?

Banks is the most electric return man in the league right now, hands down. I dont see Shanny cutting him, but I could be wrong. I wouldnt agree with the move at all. If it is done then they better make damn sure they have someone just as good if not better to take his place. I dont see what all this fumbling nonsense is either. Seems like people just looking for a reason to cut him. Good thing none of you are making the decisions. Also the guy reporting this seems to be pulling stuff out of his ass just to make a story. Keep Banks or he will haunt the Skins for years to come.

Banks is a PURE weapon on special teams and has dangerous moments in the right situation at receiver. No way do I see not keeping him. He could be banging Shanahan's wife. If he runs back kicks like that, Shanny should be massaging the balls if necessary.

Truer words have never been spoken (typed). Last year with Banks on returns was the first time in a long time we had someone that the opposition was afraid to let touch the ball. The only name that comes to mind is maybe Antonio Brown. I understand we have needs and a serious log jam at WR but I hope they make an exception for this kid. The Zero tolerance on character issues could have us turning away important building blocks on this team.

I'm not sure what you've proven, since I was clearly responding to the notion that he is bound to get broken into a tiny million pieces. So he took some solid hits last year and is still walking--he didn't have his torso separated like so many on here claimed would happen.

Your point, in regards to how it responds to mine?

Well, you said in your post his size and speed make him elusive enough to avoid the wear we have suggested he will take and has taken. I countered that with what I witnessed at every game I saw live and on TV that he was not as elusive as you suggest. He took some hard hits last season. His fragility was proven by his absence at practice today and the injury that he admitted slowed him. Another season of this and he is going to slow more than he already has. His size and speed have not made him as elusive as you suggest. And no one has said he will be broken into a million pieces. We are suggesting his speed will diminish and his lifespan in the NFL will be limited perhaps robbing this team of a more qualified receiver/return man...someone who can fill both position well like Niles Paul and/or Aldrick Robinson.

And if he was so great as you all suggest, why was he not selected as an all-pro or voted to the Pro-Bowl?

Chris Russell just again reported on his 980 update that Banks isn't a lock to make the team and mentioned what a "headache" he's been off the field as one of the reasons. Interesting. Where is he getting this? Have to wonder if it's just the knife/club incident, or if there is more to it. Russell certainly isn't specific, perhaps intentionally.

Remember that Russell works for Redskins-owned WTEM / ESPN 980. He gets access to just about anyone he wants at Ashburn and has the inside scoop on things like how the Redskins brass views Banks. In light of this, he might be repeating this point to ready Redskins Nation for something that might otherwise blindside us. By giving these reports, he's "preparing" us for Banks departure. Just a thought.

But, like I said before, I really hope that Banks stays. He can do more than just return kicks and punts. He can run bubble screens and double reverses that are great fits for his speed.

Well, you said in your post his size and speed make him elusive enough to avoid the wear we have suggested he will take and has taken. I countered that with what I witnessed at every game I saw live and on TV that he was not as elusive as you suggest. He took some hard hits last season. His fragility was proven by his absence at practice today and the injury that he admitted slowed him. Another season of this and he is going to slow more than he already has. His size and speed have not made him as elusive as you suggest. And no one has said he will be broken into a million pieces. We are suggesting his speed will diminish and his lifespan in the NFL will be limited perhaps robbing this team of a more qualified receiver/return man...someone who can fill both position well like Niles Paul and/or Aldrick Robinson.

And if he was so great as you all suggest, why was he not selected as an all-pro or voted to the Pro-Bowl?

I never suggested that he was "great."

I also never said he's never taken hits--I was, again, responding to a recurring point of discussion over the last year that has overemphasized the point about his size in relation to hits.

You also just described the realistic lifespan of any guy who carries the ball for a living. So what? Players sit out practice all the time for small stuff, too.

You've proven nothing.

I'm one of those who put forward that Banks was not a lock to make this team and that he shouldn't be. As impressive as his returns are, he's a one trick pony. He's raw as a route runner and combined with his lack of size, he's a liability on offense. Combine that with last year's injury, the stabbing, and the increased competition from guys who can be more than just a returner, Banks is no sure thing.

I'm one of those who put forward that Banks was not a lock to make this team and that he shouldn't be. As impressive as his returns are, he's a one trick pony. He's raw as a route runner and combined with his lack of size, he's a liability on offense. Combine that with last year's injury, the stabbing, and the increased competition from guys who can be more than just a returner, Banks is no sure thing.

I would not be sad if he got cut. We need to build a team and that team needs to be filled with solid performers that can do more than just play special teams.

While I'd normally agree that a special teamer should be able to play another position, if you're talking about someone special (e.g,. remember Steve Tasker, Don Beebe?), that can be your one and only job. I think Banks is that special and, if he had to only return kicks and/or punts, I'd be okay with that. Of course, he can be a WR that can run bubble screens and go routes as well.

4. His night-life antics ( The league now has new rules that also punish the franchise for a player's behavior. Is the FO is convinced that Banks has learned his lesson yet?)

5. The fact that he was caught in a lie by the videotape (So what story did he give to Shanahan, Snyder, and Allen? They may be reacting to being lied to.)

What are these new rules, and what was this lie?

Banks is no doubt an exciting return man, but long-term I think he only can stay in the punt return role. At his size & with the new rules he will be far less effective as a kickoff return man IMO. Niles Paul probably isn't as good, but if you could get a kick & punt returner in addition, a special teams coverage guy, and a receiver prospect, doesn't it make sense to keep that guy over Banks? And that's just the football part of it. If he truly is a problem in the locker room then he has to go. Its like a closer in baseball. Its a nice thing to have but it shouldn't be the priority for a rebuilding team.

My receivers

Moss

Gaffney

Hankerson

AA

Paul

Kelly

1. Three seasons ago, when the NFL implemented its personal conduct policy, it also mandated that teams would be responsible for their players' off-the-field transgressions. If any player ran afoul of the policy's personal conduct guidelines, a team also would be accountable. Around 2010, it was reported that the Steelers might be fined $200,000 for Ben's transgressions; but I'm not sure how that turned out.

This policy was launched by Goodell (around 2008) in response to all those player conduct problems with the Bengals (and also the Pacman episodes) that were really beginning to peak in 2007. The policy is still going to be in the CBA, and oddly enough Goodell was stating that it was going to be applicable even during the lockout!

2. I was referring to the video that captured events of Banks' 3 a.m altercation in front of 'The Park' nightclub, that contradicted Banks' version of events, and that put him in a worse light.

The initial story was that Banks was drawn into the fight to defend his friend from a drunk aggressor. Leaked out later, the nightclub video showed Banks starting the fight which led to the stabbing of him and his friend. The video shows Banks throwing the first punch. (And as I recall, some witnesses also recounted how Banks had earlier been verbally taunting the fellow about his shoes, and things escalated.)

Archived