Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Russell of WTEM on Brandon Banks (per interview, no link): Banks may be gone

Skadden

Bingo. But why would we want someone on the Redskins who is a serious threat to score? He just doesn't fit in I guess.

You make a good point but I fear every time the guy handles the ball in the returns game that he will not get up one day from a hit. Banks is electrifying and the rest of the adjectives being tossed around about him but the guy is an accident waiting to happen. Football is a physical game that can wreck bigger players than Banks. He has heart and seems to be fearless of injury, but I am just saying.

I am not for trading Cooley but Banks is a liability with lots of speed.

Once again, there seems to be more to a player than their raw physical talent. Look, I loved watching Banks return kicks last year. A lot. He was one of the most exciting aspects of some of those games.

However, when I reread the above sentence, I feel kind of sad. Was Brandon Banks really all that good, or was the collective team just that bad? Maybe reality is somewhere in the middle.

If the guy has serious character issues that can cause distractions either on or off the field, I say cut him. I don't care if a player is Jesus reborn, parting the waters of the defense like the Red Sea. If Jesus were an ******* in the locker room, I'd cut him. You can not put a price tag on the unity and brotherhood necessary for a football team to succeed. It is that essential.

On the other hand, maybe these reports of character issues are overblown. ( The media has been known to do that, so I'm told. ) If he doesn't have any character issues then let him compete for a roster spot like everybody else.

Brandon Banks is a no good thug. I'd rather have a low quality good charactered Randle El than Banks on his best day.

If having thugs on your team is what it takes to win games i'll be proud to go 0-16 year in, year out.

I wonder if this line of reasoning for a football kicker returner holds for, say, a medical procedure? Screw that world class neurosurgeon, I heard he was a reeeeaaaalllll dick! I'll take Marty, the local grocery butcher with a heart of gold instead!

You make a good point but I fear every time the guy handles the ball in the returns game that he will not get up one day from a hit. Banks is electrifying and the rest of the adjectives being tossed around about him but the guy is an accident waiting to happen. Football is a physical game that can wreck bigger players than Banks. He has heart and seems to be fearless of injury, but I am just saying.

I am not for trading Cooley but Banks is a liability with lots of speed.

Football is a physical game, but people tend to exaggerate this point when talking about smaller players. You could argue that Banks is safer than other players because of his speed and quickness. I'd rather be a waterbug than some lumbering target strolling down the field.

I just don't get some people. Just judging by what he is able to do on the field, there is NO 5th/6th receiver in the league that I would even consider taking over Banks and his abilities as a KR/PR. As far as off the field/character issues, hopefully he can get his **** together.

I wonder if this line of reasoning for a football kicker returner holds for, say, a medical procedure? Screw that world class neurosurgeon, I heard he was a reeeeaaaalllll dick! I'll take Marty, the local grocery butcher with a heart of gold instead!

Unfortunetely for Banks he's not the only surgeon. Hes in a room with 52 other surgeons. No room for dicks.

Banks is a PURE weapon on special teams and has dangerous moments in the right situation at receiver. No way do I see not keeping him. He could be banging Shanahan's wife. If he runs back kicks like that, Shanny should be massaging the balls if necessary.

holy ...

George Carlin called, he wants his bit back ...:ols:

Football is a physical game, but people tend to exaggerate this point when talking about smaller players. You could argue that Banks is safer than other players because of his speed and quickness. I'd rather be a waterbug than some lumbering target strolling down the field.

You are absolutely right. His size could play to his advantage but the law averages says my point that he could get knock silly or worst is the norm. I am not picking on Banks but I fear for his well being.

You are absolutely right. His size could play to his advantage but the law averages says my point that he could get knock silly or worst is the norm. I am not picking on Banks but I fear for his well being.

Well, I think it's worth the risk, esp. since I've yet to hear of such a hit happening against him in 5 years of big time football (I'd say that playing at that size in the Big 12 also carries risks).

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

This wins the :wtf: post of the day.

Ill admit the Randle El part was over the line.

But the bottom line is people who aren't trouble, 99% of the time don't get into it. Banks and his friend initiated the fight because a man wore white after labor day.

But thats not even why the coaching staff doesn't like him. He was being disrespectful.

I know I shouldn't draw conclusions but this regime is changing the chemistry of this team.

Banks appears to be one of the same old prima donnas that this team has been plagued with over the last decade.

With the new kickoff rules, his value is now limited to punt returns. IMO you can't reserve a valuable roster spot for a player who can only contribute as a punt returner, especially with many other wr prospects on the team.

Jesus Christ, why does everyone act like moving kickoffs up five yards will turn every kickoff into a touchback? After you get past Baltimore's absurdly high touchback rate of 46%, want to know how often the second-best touchback-producing team pinned opponents in their own end zone? It was 31%, done by Oakland's freak of nature, Sebastian Janikowski. Third-most? Denver, which came in at 28% because the Broncos get to kick a mile above sea level 8 games a year. Let's say that moving the kickoffs up 5 yards bumps everyone's touchback rate up 15%. That would still mean that only one team in the entire league would have generated touchbacks more often than not last year.

I swear, it's like some of you expect every kick to go out of the back of the end zone from now on.

I hear what alot of you guys are saying. But, IMO there are only 3-4 locks on this team (Fletch, LL, TW, and Rak). Everyone else should be expendable. The problem with the previous administration is that they allowed the players to do and act any ol' type of way and get away with it, because of either talent or $$. As good as Bank is (and i would hate to see him go) he is still a marginal player. And if he's acting the friggin' fool with the coaches and teammates, then I wouldn't frown on the coaches for cutting him. But of course, these are rumors so it all remains to be seen......

Jesus Christ, why does everyone act like moving kickoffs up five yards will turn every kickoff into a touchback? After you get past Baltimore's absurdly high touchback rate of 46%, want to know how often the second-best touchback-producing team pinned opponents in their own end zone? It was 31%, done by Oakland's freak of nature, Sebastian Janikowski. Third-most? Denver, which came in at 28% because the Broncos get to kick a mile above sea level 8 games a year. Let's say that moving the kickoffs up 5 yards bumps everyone's touchback rate up 15%. That would still mean that only one team in the entire league would have generated touchbacks more often than not last year.

I swear, it's like some of you expect every kick to go out of the back of the end zone from now on.

You said it

The "new" kickoff rule really isn't that new actually

They changed the rules in 1994 to kick from the 30 instead of the 35

They changed it back this year

It's a "new" "retread" rule and Brian Mitchell was killing it with both rules

I see no reason Banks can't continue to shine

Brandon Banks is a no good thug. I'd rather have a low quality good charactered Randle El than Banks on his best day.

If having thugs on your team is what it takes to win games i'll be proud to go 0-16 year in, year out.

And where do you get that he is a thug?? And you'd rather have take Antoine "Take 1000 Steps Only To Gain 0 Yards" Randle El? Really? :doh:

Ugh. To be honest though I'm not surprised. His main, pretty much only, strength was on returns. And we all know what happened to kickoffs this year. Punts though....

Too undersized at WR. I have no clue how he recovered from that stabbing. A punctured lung is some serious stuff.

I don't live in the DC area but I have lurked on this board for about six years. As far as I can tell based upon the last week, including TK's twitter trap, this storyline is being pushed by one DC media member and is marginally butressed by occasional message board rumors concerning the character of this kid. I believe what I saw with my own eyes last year. Banks was far and away the most explosive player we had. Considering the improvement we are about to see on the defense the ratio of PR to KR is about to shift to PR and at more advantageous positions on the field. The rules changes on KR will change opportunities somewhat but I think they are being overstated. In fact the coverage teams on KR may have their running starts shortened which might create a dynamic on KR that is currently unforseeable.

Regarding replacements for Banks, this league is littered with WR, CB, and RB who returned kicks in college who can't cut it in the pros. What he can do on kicks, presuming he is not the superbad guy that one radio guy says he is, is alone worth keeping him on the roster

For those who want a change in the thread title, please listen to Chris Russell's report. The title reflects this ominous portent for Banks' future as reported by him.

Also, Banks can play at least some WR. He is electrifying on bubble screens. He can also do things that won't get him hit like running out routes or running a fly. If you got speed like he does, his size, though a concern, can be planned around.

Archived