Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Russell of WTEM on Brandon Banks (per interview, no link): Banks may be gone

Skadden

Did anyone listen to Chris Russell reporting on the Redskins a couple of days ago on WTEM 980? He stated that the Redskins really don't like Brandon Banks, and that he may not be long for the organization. I guess that depends on how he and his prospective replacements perform during training camp and pre-season, but right now, he's much closer to being cut than making the roster. Russell suggested that the Skins were souring on Banks because of character issues, not the least of which is that stabbing incident he got involved with recently.

While Banks may be too small to play too much at WR or participate both ways on special teams, this guy absolutely terrified the opposition last year. No one else on our roster would come close to doing that. I hope the guy stays, especially because if he got picked up by another NFC East team, I'd hate to play against him.

Edit: Link to Russell's report follows. The Banks stuff starts at around the 1:30 mark. http://www.stationcaster.com/clicktrack/index.mp3?media=%2Fstations%2Fwtem%2Fmedia%2Fmpeg%2FJuly_27___Chris_Russell-1311803219.mp3&usecat=427&subscribed=true&title=July+27+-+Chris+Russell&ext=.mp3

Banks is a PURE weapon on special teams and has dangerous moments in the right situation at receiver. No way do I see not keeping him. He could be banging Shanahan's wife. If he runs back kicks like that, Shanny should be massaging the balls if necessary.

i heard tandler echo the same sentiments the other day (could have been paulsen but im pretty sure it was tandler). basically he hinted that Banks acted like an ass so far in TC and that same attitude contributed to the stabbing incident. i like the guys story but if this is true, AND we have someone comparable in the return game....adios.

Banks is a PURE weapon on special teams and has dangerous moments in the right situation at receiver. No way do I see not keeping him. He could be banging Shanahan's wife. If he runs back kicks like that, Shanny should be massaging the balls if necessary.

:ols::ols::ols::ols:

oh man, that was funny as hell.

I won't be sad to see him go.

He's taking up a valuable WR spot on our roster, a position he really can't play.

He's also one of the most electrifying players we've had in YEARS on this team and a guy that's a serious threat to not only flip the field, but take it to the house on every return, punt or kick-off. Not to mention that blazing speed has to be respected by opposing D's on the packages he is on the field at wide out for.

I'll honestly be shocked if he isn't a lock to make the 53, let alone if he's released. Shanahan fair gushed over him most every post game presser as last year wore on. And Shanahan gushes over nobody.

Hopefully Russel's talking out of his rear end.

Hail.

banks is a pure weapon on special teams and has dangerous moments in the right situation at receiver. No way do i see not keeping him. He could be banging shanahan's wife. If he runs back kicks like that, shanny should be massaging the balls if necessary.

wtf :ols::ols::ols:

This team just gets more and more ****ing retarded by the day. Are you serious? Banksy was the lone bright spot last year. I understand the new kickoff rules, but if you take out our idiotic penalties (I'm looking at you Perry Riley, who everyone seems to love around here for some God forsaken reason) BB would have about 5 TD's last year I think. WE CAN reserve a spot for him as our sixth receiver and punt return man. He's a threat EVERY TIME he touches the ball back there.

i heard tandler echo the same sentiments the other day (could have been paulsen but im pretty sure it was tandler). basically he hinted that Banks acted like an ass so far in TC and that same attitude contributed to the stabbing incident. i like the guys story but if this is true, AND we have someone comparable in the return game....adios.

Hopefully Banks doesn't feel like he has established himself yet. I'm sure the chip on his shoulder went a long way towards getting him on this roster last season. Regardless of how good he is at returning kick/punts he should realize that it's difficult to devote a roster spot to a punt returner. He's still an underdog and he better start acting like one if he wants to stick.

I'd love to see him stay and be a weapon in the return game but it won't hurt me to see him go either. We need at least one WR to play coverage on teams and I'm not sure where that is going to come from. Maybe Armstrong or Gaffney but they'll need to be fresh for offense. I wonder if the Shanahans will make Hankerson available to Danny Smith.

A few people on the espn.com Redskins board was talking about this a few days ago. They were saying that banks was asked to leave the facility after having a blow out with coach's. With this being said, you know how the rumor mill goes. They were even saying that he would def be cut that day/night, then i was reading on here how he was still in camp the past few days. I figured it was all "BS" but maybe their is some truth to it after all.

With the new kickoff rules, his value is now limited to punt returns. IMO you can't reserve a valuable roster spot for a player who can only contribute as a punt returner, especially with many other wr prospects on the team.

I think some people may be blowing the rule change out of proportion. Out of Banks' highlight worthy returns, one one (and that's a maybe) would be downed in the endzone. Kick returns aren't going to be as dramatically impacted by those 5 yards as some think. KR is still a valuable asset to have even from the 35, see Mel Gray/Brian Mitchell.

I agree, Art. But this might be the last we see of Banks.

Brandon Banks is the perfect Kick Returner to HAVE. Why? He won't be coddled to play another position like Hester, S. Moss, etc. Hester is a better threat at Kick/Punt returns than his value over a replacement at WR.

Banks will be in special packages as a WR, very limited. But his value over another kick returner is HUGE. Shanny may not like the character, but if he produces, he will play.

Plus in your quote he said "redskins" are souring on Banks. Not Danny Smith, not Shanahan, etc. someone will step up for Banks, and someone will step in and try and clear his Character issue.

With the new kickoff rules, his value is now limited to punt returns. IMO you can't reserve a valuable roster spot for a player who can only contribute as a punt returner, especially with many other wr prospects on the team.

how is his value limited to punt returns? why do people keep saying this? the ball got moved 5 yards forward. some kickers will be kicking into the end zone consistently, but banks was better last year when the ball was kicked deep and there was time for his blocks to setup. additionally, because the ball gets kicked deeper with subsequently more touchbacks, the value of returnable kicks gets increased. and there are only one or two guys in the league that can return kicks as well as he can.

also, i think banks can be dangerous on offense in special packages. he has to be accounted for whenever he is on the field because he is so electric. maybe 1 to 2 plays on offense a game, which is all youd really expect from your 5th or 6th receiver. and if he gets hurt, well, like torrain, he gets hurt, and we plug in someone from the practice squad.

i have, however, gotten a vibe for some time that banks might have attitude issues. dont know if thats the case, but it seems as if shanny doesnt put up with it at all. if so, banks will be gone.

...... AND BIGGER! Banks is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Talking about broken glass, wow!

Whenever I think about a return man being cut I'm reminded of Spurrier's first season when we cut Jacquez Green during the middle of the season with no one else on the roster who knew how to return a punt.

"So what do we do now?"

"Just throw Champ Bailey out there."

Banks needs to prove his worth as a WR, otherwise I don't see how we can afford to keep him around.

Great returner - Yes. But in the end, no one will kick to him anyway. He will get taken out of the game.

When the team is poor, like we have been, players like Banks, Armstrong, Torain are able to standout from the crowd. However, as the FO work to improve our roster, its quite likely that the contributions made by these guys in 2010 will be surpassed by others in the future.

Archived