Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Russell of WTEM on Brandon Banks (per interview, no link): Banks may be gone

Skadden

If we do end up cutting Banks I hope whoever is returning punts/kicks is a threat every time. It seems like special teams does nothing for the Redskins but blow chances. It was nice to see our O being able to get a 30 yard head start thanks to Banks last year.

I don't live in the DC area but I have lurked on this board for about six years. As far as I can tell based upon the last week, including TK's twitter trap, this storyline is being pushed by one DC media member and is marginally butressed by occasional message board rumors concerning the character of this kid. I believe what I saw with my own eyes last year. Banks was far and away the most explosive player we had. Considering the improvement we are about to see on the defense the ratio of PR to KR is about to shift to PR and at more advantageous positions on the field. The rules changes on KR will change opportunities somewhat but I think they are being overstated. In fact the coverage teams on KR may have their running starts shortened which might create a dynamic on KR that is currently unforseeable.

Regarding replacements for Banks, this league is littered with WR, CB, and RB who returned kicks in college who can't cut it in the pros. What he can do on kicks, presuming he is not the superbad guy that one radio guy says he is, is alone worth keeping him on the roster

What is this Twitter trap? The source of Banks getting cut is from an established reporter on WTEM.

Barring off-field issues, it absolutely boggles my mind that there are fans who want to see our most explosive player in years cut, all so some 6th round pick out of SMU or wherever can rot on the bench as the team's 5th or 6th string WR. Just. Simply. Unbelievable.

THANK YOU!!! These are the kinds of thoughts that roll through my mind everyday about some of you people. It seems like some of you are so enamored by getting our own "homegrown young talent" that you could care less how good they actually are or could turn out to be. **** that! Who cares where our players come from?! Let's get the best players we can and make the best team we can. Cutting Banks, at this point, for some 6th round unknown replacement is insanely ridiculous.

What is this Twitter trap? The source of Banks getting cut is from an established reporter on WTEM.

I think you've misunderstood what I was saying. Other than Chris Russell the only credible source on Banks possibly being cut was when one of the Trusted Posters on this site with the apparent help of Banks himself tweeted info that seemed to suggest Banks had been or was in the process of being cut. He did this to out someone who was retweeting his info without giving credit. I can't speak to whether the reporter is credible. I do know that reporters get things wrong. I might remind you that JLC, Jason Reid, and Mike Jones are all established reporters. Do you accept everything they write or say as the gospel truth?

That's unfortunate. He truly is a gamechanger on special teams and the first one I can remember since being old enough to remember. I'd love to see him make the team but he is only valuable on special teams in my opinion - perhaps on offense as a decoy because when you bring him in defenses assume he's getting it - we did this once last year in the redzone.

But, if it must be done then I guess so be it.

I think you've misunderstood what I was saying. Other than Chris Russell the only credible source on Banks possibly being cut was when one of the Trusted Posters on this site with the apparent help of Banks himself tweeted info that seemed to suggest Banks had been or was in the process of being cut. He did this to out someone who was retweeting his info without giving credit. I can't speak to whether the reporter is credible. I do know that reporters get things wrong. I might remind you that JLC, Jason Reid, and Mike Jones are all established reporters. Do you accept everything they write or say as the gospel truth?

Everyone can make mistakes, but Russell isn't like JLC, who makes things up / gets things wrong constantly. Russell is a reporter working for a radio station owned by the Redskins and he has access to direct sources within Redskin Park, something that most don't have.

---------- Post added August-2nd-2011 at 08:12 PM ----------

Uhhh, I can't believe this hasn't been posted: Banks is coming off major knee surgery. When your sole threat is your speed, and then you blow out a ligament in your knee, your career can take a turn for the worse pretty quickly.

That's not why he's on the bubble though. If there's a health problem he has right now, it may be the residual effects of the stabbing. He's in jeopardy of losing his gig here because of his character.

Everyone can make mistakes, but Russell isn't like JLC, who makes things up / gets things wrong constantly. Russell is a reporter working for a radio station owned by the Redskins and he has access to direct sources within Redskin Park, something that most don't have.

---------- Post added August-2nd-2011 at 08:12 PM ----------

That's not why he's on the bubble though. If there's a health problem he has right now, it may be the residual effects of the stabbing. He's in jeopardy of losing his gig here because of his character.

Thanks for clearing that up. I still like the kid on the field. Maybe Shanny is sending a message to try to get this kid to clean things up

Thanks for clearing that up. I still like the kid on the field. Maybe Shanny is sending a message to try to get this kid to clean things up

I think things are more dire than that. Banks apparently has done some stuff that may very well have stamped his ticket out of town. I hope not. Even he's used just as a returner, he's worth it. And he can be incorporated into the offense on so much more other things. But this may all be water under the bridge.

Worst case scenario: the chickie in my sig may have a better chance of making the team than does Banks. Hey, just her upper body may be more than Banks' entire body weighs.

I will join the minority and say I want him on our team. He is an exciting return guy and considering the offense needs help with field position it would be ashame to see him get cut. If the team is going to keep 6 WR someone should be sacrificed to keep him. Malcolm Kelly anyone?

He's recovered from the stabbing and that wouldn't affect his speed. Knee surgery and blowing out a ligament slows a player down big-time. Banks' entire career is based on his speed, and now that he doesn't have it, Shanahan figures, hey, I can make an example out of his bad off-the-field-behavior to serve as a warning sign to other players. It's rare that a player recovers his pure/original speed after blowing out a knee ligament.

All Banks has is straight line speed. He can't quick cut, he can't turn and keep his speed up, he doesn't play WR and he isn't our best option at KR. He is an occasionally exciting punt returner. If he has an attitude problem, cut his ass.

Are you ***king serious?

---------- Post added August-2nd-2011 at 09:25 PM ----------

Niles Paul is supposedly someone who could return kicks. Not sure if he could return punts. But Terrance Austin could do that, I think.

Neither has the talent to what Banks can do.

He's recovered from the stabbing and that wouldn't affect his speed. Knee surgery and blowing out a ligament slows a player down big-time. Banks' entire career is based on his speed, and now that he doesn't have it, Shanahan figures, hey, I can make an example out of his bad off-the-field-behavior to serve as a warning sign to other players. It's rare that a player recovers his pure/original speed after blowing out a knee ligament.

Obviously I remember the surgery from the middle of the season but I thought that was minor. I know he was somewhat diminished when he came back but that should be better by now. Is there something more serious that I'm not aware of

Did he actually blow out a knee ligament?

If the regime decides they can't fit him on to our roster, why would they cut him?

Wouldn't it be better to try and trade him?

I mean, teams certainly have a lot of really good tape on the kid. I remember one game where he had 200+ yards of returns.:2cents:

You said it

The "new" kickoff rule really isn't that new actually

They changed the rules in 1994 to kick from the 30 instead of the 35

They changed it back this year

It's a "new" "retread" rule and Brian Mitchell was killing it with both rules

I see no reason Banks can't continue to shine

Seriously. People don't seem to realize that ball has been kicked-off from this spot before.

I have a feeling that Banks may be a surprise cut.

I would say that's a possibility, but not so much a surprise. Wasn't it pretty much considered in preseason last year that he wouldn't make the final roster, but MS had a soft spot for him based on his play in the preseason and eventually we all rejoiced when we found out that he actually made the final roster.

That's unfortunate. He truly is a gamechanger on special teams and the first one I can remember since being old enough to remember. I'd love to see him make the team but he is only valuable on special teams in my opinion - perhaps on offense as a decoy because when you bring him in defenses assume he's getting it - we did this once last year in the redzone.

But, if it must be done then I guess so be it.

This is a spot on post. Unfortunately he does fit that special/gimmick character, where it appears that the D knows something's up when he's on the field and a kicker isn't. I also agree that during these times of re-building, if a roster spot is needed for a more pressing need, then it has to be taken. I said the exact same thing last year about keeping 3 QB's on the roster (was sure Beck would be gone).

I think things are more dire than that. Banks apparently has done some stuff that may very well have stamped his ticket out of town. I hope not. Even he's used just as a returner, he's worth it. And he can be incorporated into the offense on so much more other things. But this may all be water under the bridge.

Worst case scenario: the chickie in my sig may have a better chance of making the team than does Banks. Hey, just her upper body may be more than Banks' entire body weighs.

I still don't know what Banks did that was so dire. I know all about the offseason incidents', but I would think that if those were serious issues keeping MS up at night, BB wouldn' t even be in camp. Why's he here?

He didn't suffer too much of a knee injury, though I heard he's actually still recovering from the stabbing. Last I checked, which wasn't yesterday or anything that recent, he was something like 85% recovered, whatever that means.

Also, I don't know what he did that was so dire, but he apparently did something like that. Someone else referred to a blow up he had with a coach or coaches. Having said that, I think whatever his problem may be, it's very fixable, and something that can easily be addressed in-house by a leader like Fletcher.

Banks is a PURE weapon on special teams and has dangerous moments in the right situation at receiver. No way do I see not keeping him. He could be banging Shanahan's wife. If he runs back kicks like that, Shanny should be massaging the balls if necessary.

WAY too far there. Like not even a smirk too far. You are sick my friend

Archived