Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mcnabb trade talks with Minnesota ARE happening

Missin Meast

Exactly he has all the leverage. If he holds out on restructuring the Skins will release him thus allowing him to go wherever he wants.

Not really. Any team that wants McNabb wants him for this year. We could easily keep him until right before opening weekend, thus delaying his integration into a new team.

If a team wants him, they want him ready in week one. The only way to get him for week 1, and likely 2 or 3, is to trade for him in the next few days.

I asked this in the other tread but since there is a dedicated theard I'll ask here as well...

Not sure if this is possible in football, but can a team pick up a portion of a players salary to make a trade possible (go go new CBA)? This is often done in baseball to facilitate trades for players with high salaries. For example, when the Mets traded K-Rod to the Brewers they agreed to pick up some of his salary for 2012 to make sure the deal happens.

Since the bonus is an issue could the Skins pick up a portion to make the trade work? Or is re-negotiation with the new team the only option to make this work?

If this is possible we should definately do it.

It'd be like buying a draft pick.

McNabb will restructure, otherwise Skins can hold him hostage until opening weekend and sabotage his ability to learn a new system somewhere else. He doesn't have as much leverage as you may think

I think you're right.

I just hope the Vikings aren't the only ones entering the McNabb sweepstakes. We need to create a market for him so we can recoup something of value - draft pick-wise.

---------- Post added July-26th-2011 at 04:57 PM ----------

And sabotage our ability to get anything back from him.

If he does that - he sits. I don't think he's as idiotic as Haynesworth, in that regard. My gut tells me he still wants to play.

McNabb will restructure, otherwise Skins can hold him hostage until opening weekend and sabotage his ability to learn a new system somewhere else. He doesn't have as much leverage as you may think

This. and on top of that McNabb is super professional. Dude isnt going to create a stink. He wants out of Washington, and he isn't going to delay that train out of town. Im sure he is already on board with his ticket punched.

I will say, I am glad he never threw up on the sideline here, like he did in Philly.

I think you're right.

I just hope the Vikings aren't the only ones entering the McNabb sweepstakes. We need to create a market for him so we can recoup something of value - draft pick-wise.

Getting anything back for McNabb is a victory at this point. I wouldn't expect anything more than a 5th, if that.

This. and on top of that McNabb is super professional. Dude isnt going to create a stink. He wants out of Washington, and he isn't going to delay that train out of town. Im sure he is already on board with his ticket punched.
:yes: McNabb's too classy to do that.

Nobody addressed this...I've read before that a player's contract can't be restructured more than once a year. Well, he signed his new contract with us less than a year ago. So is a restructure to assist a trade impossible right now?

Nobody addressed this...I've read before that a player's contract can't be restructured more than once a year. Well, he signed his new contract with us less than a year ago. So is a restructure to assist a trade impossible right now?

Not sure about that rule- perhaps he could agree in principle with Minnesota to a restructured deal and then the trade could be completely?

why do people want to cut him outright?.. he does have value, you drop him and he will be starting for a team within a couple weeks. who of the free agents are better than him, kyle orton, matt hassleback, carson palmer, gimme a break. id hold him until someone gives up something for him.

I think that means once per season, or once per calender year.

"more than once a year" should not mean you have to wait a year between restructuring .... I would like to see the exact wording .... If they define year to mean calendar year, you could restructure on Dec. 31st and then restructure again on Jan 1st, but I doubt thats the case ... I think the "NFL year" begins on Mar 1st and ends on Feb 28th/29th.

espn980 is saying that redskins and minny have agreed to a deal but not the #s is this true?

5:20

Twitter

JasonLaCanfora:

More from NFL Network: Vikes and Skins have parameters of a deal for McNabb but agreeing on financial terms with him could be tricky... [via Twitter]

I hope this is true but it could also be Shanny's boy Shefty trying to drum up interest from other teams...doing Mike a solid. Polin had that idea and he was the first to report and all others like Paulson, Maesse, JLC all followed Shefty so who knows. They are going to cut Berrian and DL Kennedy....do they still have both Williams DL? anything for depth over a random 5th round pick would be nice.

Brilliant news if we can get something for him. But why in the heck anyone would give up anything for a guy that would eventually be cut anyways, and one who's all but done as a starter in this league is anyone's guess.

Frazier's a bigger chump than Childress.

---------- Post added July-26th-2011 at 04:36 PM ----------

I will always like D Mac and wish him well, because he is just a good guy and a classy person.

That is rare and goes a long way in todays NFL.

Up until the back end of last year I'd of agreed with you.

Then we had the very public spat between player/ player's agent/ OC and HC, which was FAR from classy on ANY concerned.

Hail.

Bonus' dont count against the cap correct?

Of course they count against the cap. The difference is a bonus is spread over the life of the contract instead of the full amount in one year.

i.e. 20 million dollar signing bonus over the course of 4 years counts 5 million per season against the cap.

5:20

Twitter

JasonLaCanfora:

More from NFL Network: Vikes and Skins have parameters of a deal for McNabb but agreeing on financial terms with him could be tricky... [via Twitter]

we play the vikes here christmas eve.

interesting.

Archived