Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mcnabb trade talks with Minnesota ARE happening

Missin Meast

What in the hell has Rex Grossman accomplished in the NFL recently or ever for that matter? People need to stop believing all this hype that Donovan is done and accept the fact the Shanahans mismanaged the Redskin's QB situation last season. Plain and simple... Does any football fan worth their weight in doodoo really believe that if Philly had traded Vick to Carolina last year, which they almost did (Philly wanted a 2nd round pick for Vick and Carolina was only willing to give up a 3rd rounder, allegedly) and kept McNabb instead and made him their starter that he would have failed the same way he did here, playing in a familiar system in philly, throwing and handing off to talent far superior to what the Skins had on offense last season? Anyone who says McNabb would have failed even if he had been the starter in philly last year instead of here is either telling a lie or they don't know anything about football. People kill me acting like Donovan was in Kyle's precious system for years and still failed. Someone of Donovan's stature and physical gifts deserves to play in an offensive system that caters to his strengths. Kyle Shanahan should have been made to somewhat conform his system to what Donovan does best. Its called coaching! Kyle and Mike Shanahan's lack of patience was front and center at the end of last season. Please lets stop placing all of the blame for last year's failures at McNabb's feet. There's more than enough blame to go around. By the way... who were our running backs and wide receivers last year? oh yeah that's right... Somebody please take a deep look at what Donovan was working with last season. Well, if you don't have time to do that i will tell you... Little to Nothing!

I know we're stuck with Shanahan for at least a few more years because of his contract but can we please stop treating this man like he's Vince Lombardi? He was the best coach available when Zorn was shown the door but by no means is the guy a living legend or a lock to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Shanahan is definitely the most competent head coach we've had here in a while...I will grant anyone that but all this... "In Shanahan We Trust" foolishness has got to stop. Enough already!

Um, okay. I don't see what your post has to do with my post. I basically insulted Grossman. I was talking about DM's trade value at this point--that's it. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't use my post to launch into some completely unrelated rant/vent.

When you're an older QB who is benched for Rex Grossman, your trade value is impacted because the team has told the entire league what it thinks of you. Not a very difficult concept and my statement had nothing to do with my own assessment of DM (frankly, I couldn't care less, because that ship has sailed).

I think the ideal situation for Minnesota is Kyle Orton, but I think the price is too much. Redskins put themselves in a hole by lowering McNabb's trade value, now we'll have to settle for a low round pick.

If Haynesworth and McNabb BOTH restructure their deals and get packaged to Minnesota, I'd make the deal in a split second, because I'm really not sure what more we can get for them.

As for next season, I don't know how much success Donovan see's in Minnesota, Childress isn't there anymore, and the offense could be much different.

I think the ideal situation for Minnesota is Kyle Orton, but I think the price is too much. Redskins put themselves in a hole by lowering McNabb's trade value, now we'll have to settle for a low round pick.

If Haynesworth and McNabb BOTH restructure their deals and get packaged to Minnesota, I'd make the deal in a split second, because I'm really not sure what more we can get for them.

As for next season, I don't know how much success Donovan see's in Minnesota, Childress isn't there anymore, and the offense could be much different.

Honestly, and you might all call me crazy, but I'd be happy if we traded both Haynesworth and Mcnabb for a 5th round pick just to get them out of here. Shoot, you could even persuade me into a 6th or 7th rounder for both of them.

I agree that it's not all Donovan's fault, but he sucked last year man. His accuracy has never been good, but it was worse last year than I'd ever seen it. McNabb, to me, is a system quarterback. ESPN has always slobbed his knob, but I think it's more Andy Reid than anything else. Look at the success Vick had last year. Kolb threw for over 300 in his first few starts there. They've won games with A.J. Feeley and Mike McMahon. I've hated Donovan since I can remember, so I may be biased. But the love he gets is not deserved in my opinion.

You couldn't be more wrong actually. McNabb gets less credit by some even though he's done more than most Qbs today. McNabb did way more in his 1st few years as a starter than the likes of Matt Ryan, Carson Palmer, or many other Qbs who have gotten less hate

If it was not for Vick's athletic abilities...the Eagles would be struggling. That is not opinion....that is fact. It is Vick's unique abilities...the struggle to defend against him that made the Eagles great. Not Andy Reid. Vick's athleticism, much like McNabb's is what makes Reid look so good.

And quite frankly...aside from 2 games against 2 crappy defenses, Kolb hasn't done that well at all, and in one of those 2 games he threw 3 interceptions(could have thrown more). He sucked in several games last year, and AJ Feeley and McMahon may have won a few games but overall they sucked as well and never did anything good. It's one thing if you want to criticize, but please try to be fair and have perspective. I have hardly ever...EVER seen a guy get as little credit for his career as McNabb has compared to others

Honestly, and you might all call me crazy, but I'd be happy if we traded both Haynesworth and Mcnabb for a 5th round pick just to get them out of here. Shoot, you could even persuade me into a 6th or 7th rounder for both of them.

Agreed completely, Orakpo said it best today, he wants all of this drama behind him, he admitted that it did take a toll on players and it did effect their performance. When one of your best players are saying how it's effecting their games, you know it's a huge problem. Just ship them out now so we can officially move on.

I will say, I am glad he never threw up on the sideline here, like he did in Philly.

Did he do that more than once? I only remember the Superbowl Upchuck.

---------- Post added July-26th-2011 at 07:54 PM ----------

"more than once a year" should not mean you have to wait a year between restructuring .... I would like to see the exact wording .... If they define year to mean calendar year, you could restructure on Dec. 31st and then restructure again on Jan 1st, but I doubt thats the case ... I think the "NFL year" begins on Mar 1st and ends on Feb 28th/29th.

Is it possible that by optioning out of the old CBA, that the rule didn't apply this year? Not saying that it is true. I am just speculating.

You couldn't be more wrong actually. McNabb gets less credit by some even though he's done more than most Qbs today. McNabb did way more in his 1st few years as a starter than the likes of Matt Ryan, Carson Palmer, or many other Qbs who have gotten less hate

If it was not for Vick's athletic abilities...the Eagles would be struggling. That is not opinion....that is fact. It is Vick's unique abilities...the struggle to defend against him that made the Eagles great. Not Andy Reid. Vick's athleticism, much like McNabb's is what makes Reid look so good.

And quite frankly...aside from 2 games against 2 crappy defenses, Kolb hasn't done that well at all, and in one of those 2 games he threw 3 interceptions(could have thrown more). He sucked in several games last year, and AJ Feeley and McMahon may have won a few games but overall they sucked as well and never did anything good. It's one thing if you want to criticize, but please try to be fair and have perspective. I have hardly ever...EVER seen a guy get as little credit for his career as McNabb has compared to others

Yup! IMO Philly just got flat out LUCKY!. Kolb was suppose to be the starter and He had the Eagles Stinking! D Jax wasn't doing squat nor was the rest of Philly.Untill Clay Mathews put out Kolb for a few games Philly looked like they were the Dumbest team in America for trading Mcnabb,and keeping Kolb.

Take whatever we can for McNabb.

McNabb is not the QB he used to be. Philly knew that and hustled us for some picks. We found out the hard way and are trying to get anything for him. I couldn't believe what I was seeing from him last year. I swear he had to throw 3-5 balls a game that hit a receivers feet. Now granted the OL was bad and the receivers did drop some passes, but if he was as good as people say he is, he would not make those bad throws at that bad of a rate.

I wish noting but the best for him though. Because even know the coaches humiliated him, he has been nothing but classy. If this trade to the Vikings does go through, Christmas Eve 2011 will be one crazy day at FedEx.

Exactly he has all the leverage. If he holds out on restructuring the Skins will release him thus allowing him to go wherever he wants.

Or....or....

If he has a problem learning a playbook....he may be in a rush to get up there to learn it.

Or...or...

If he is a leader, he wants to get up there and see what's up with his team mates.

He doesn't feel like he's going to Minny as a stop gap, he wants to win. And there is enough of that offense from Philly still intacted there where he can make a run if he puts out and shows up in shape.

Why not pay McNabb $12.5 million this season? The Vikings paid Brett Favre $16 million last year for 11 TD's and 19 INT's (Quiet as its kept). The Vikings thought they could buy a championship last year. Is being frugal all of a sudden going to bring about a better result? Sometimes you have to take chances to be successful. Like Forrest Gump said..."Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

I know someone who had dinner with Coach Shanahan as recently as three weeks ago. The connection goes back to his time in Denver and is a legitimate connection. In short, he relayed that Coach was shocked at McNabb's lack of urgency or work ethic. He basically said that McNabb was happy to live out his legacy rather than build on it. Shanahan also relayed that he was ectastic when we pulled off the trade to get him last year, and was equally dismayed when he realized how little McNabb cared about working hard and trying to win a championship. Coach Shanahan basically said that in his entire career it was a player situation that he guessed wrong on, and that it is up there for him as a major shocker in his coaching career.

As you guys can see, I don't often post, but this is legitimate. Once I heard the longer version indirectly from our Coach I was done with McNabb.

I know someone who had dinner with Coach Shanahan as recently as three weeks ago. The connection goes back to his time in Denver and is a legitimate connection. In short, he relayed that Coach was shocked at McNabb's lack of urgency or work ethic. He basically said that McNabb was happy to live out his legacy rather than build on it. Shanahan also relayed that he was ectastic when we pulled off the trade to get him last year, and was equally dismayed when he realized how little McNabb cared about working hard and trying to win a championship. Coach Shanahan basically said that in his entire career it was a player situation that he guessed wrong on, and that it is up there for him as a major shocker in his coaching career.

As you guys can see, I don't often post, but this is legitimate. Once I heard the longer version indirectly from our Coach I was done with McNabb.

Boom I agree 100% if a player does not have the drive and willingness to succeed they are a lost cause, ambition is the key to success IMHO

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/report-of-vikings-trade-for-mcnabb-is-premature/\

Report of Vikings trade for McNabb is premature

Posted by Mike Florio on July 26, 2011, 8:36 PM EDT

Earlier today, Adam Schefter of ESPN reported that the Vikings are “one of a few teams” talking to the Redskins about a trade for quarterback Donovan McNabb. Not long thereafter, Jason LaCanfora of NFL Network reported that the Vikings and the Redskins have worked out the terms of a trade, subject to McNabb restructuring his contract.

A source with knowledge of the discussions tells us that, while a trade may indeed happen, the report of a deal being in place between the Vikings and Redskins is premature. Per the source, no agreement has been reached on the compensation the Redskins would receive.

We’re not sure that McNabb would be the right fit in Minnesota. How will he react if the Vikings start 2-5 and the team decides to switch to Christian Ponder?

Also, will McNabb be willing to reduce his pay for 2011 and also to be traded for something that likely would amount to a bargain-basement deal? If he refused to wear a wristband containing the team’s plays last season because of its potential impact on his image, there’s no way he’d be comfortable getting treated like Cleo Lemon

I knew this was going to happen last year when Favre started stinking it up in Minnesota. It's where McNabb wanted to go from Philthy, but Favre wasn't done yet & he (McNabb) certainly wasn't going to sit behind anyone as a back-up. This really isn't a surprise. Please Minnesota...take him...& take worthless fat Albert with him. Thanks. :D

And there will still be some who will blindly side with McNabb, just to go against "The Man". I never thought that Shanny had it out for McNabb for some off-the-wall reason. This is even further confirmation that i was right. Thanks for posting bro!

From PFT http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/report-of-vikings-trade-for-mcnabb-is-premature/

A source with knowledge of the discussions tells us that, while a trade may indeed happen, the report of a deal being in place between the Vikings and Redskins is premature. Per the source, no agreement has been reached on the compensation the Redskins would receive.

Haha, are you an Eagle fan? WTF..

So you're taking credit away from Andy Reid and putting it all on the athletic ability of McNabb and Vick? Really? Ok. That doesn't seem like you're being 'fair' or having perspective. If I remember correctly, wasn't there a QB controversy over Feeley after he put up good numbers and led the Eagles to several wins without McNugget?

And this line "If it was not for Vick's athletic abilities...the Eagles would be struggling. That is not opinion....that is fact." is a joke. You have no idea what the Eagles would be doing without Vick. You saw Kolb throw three picks in one game and all the sudden you think the Eagles would suck without a fast quarterback? Give me a break dude. Vick is really good, sure, but Andy Reid is a big reason for his success. To not acknowledge that is pretty damn hilarious to me. I'm not saying they'd be in the same position with Kolb, but to suggest that the Eagles had success merely because they have mobile quarterbacks is a joke.

:eaglesuck

Um, okay. I don't see what your post has to do with my post. I basically insulted Grossman. I was talking about DM's trade value at this point--that's it. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't use my post to launch into some completely unrelated rant/vent.

When you're an older QB who is benched for Rex Grossman, your trade value is impacted because the team has told the entire league what it thinks of you. Not a very difficult concept and my statement had nothing to do with my own assessment of DM (frankly, I couldn't care less, because that ship has sailed).

I'm sorry. I thought there was this little thing called the 1st amendment to the US Constitution that gives me the right to say whatever I want as long as I'm not posing a danger to anyone. My point is... the Shanahan's ruined his value way more than he ever could have. The fact that you referenced one of Shanahan's many ridiculous excuses for pulling D-Mac in the 4th quarter of the Lions game when we still had a chance to pull that one out, troubled me more than anything else. That made me think you actually buy into Shanahan's BS. If Shanahan was going to pull McNabb because he was (out of shape, didn't know the 2 minute offense or because he ate Mcdonalds before the game) he should have done it after halftime so Rex would have had a few series to warm up. Pulling him before a potential game winning drive troubled me a great deal. I haven't bought into anything Shanahan says since. If you hadn't made that reference, I would be completely cool with your position. My apologies if I came off like I was attacking you. I guess I misunderstood what you were saying. I'm just sick of all the short memories that want to support Shanahan now after all the mistakes he made last year while blaming DM for all of our offensive failures last season. Other than that I appreciate the interesting discussion after all these months of NFL limbo.

That ship may have sailed but if you're more satisfied with Rex and Beck than you are with D-Mac, I guess you trust an NFL coach's opinion, who got fired from his last gig by the way, way more than I do.

---------- Post added July-26th-2011 at 09:04 PM ----------

I will always like D Mac and wish him well, because he is just a good guy and a classy person.

That is rare and goes a long way in todays NFL.

Well said...

---------- Post added July-26th-2011 at 09:11 PM ----------

Brilliant news if we can get something for him. But why in the heck anyone would give up anything for a guy that would eventually be cut anyways, and one who's all but done as a starter in this league is anyone's guess.

Frazier's a bigger chump than Childress.

---------- Post added July-26th-2011 at 04:36 PM ----------

Up until the back end of last year I'd of agreed with you.

Then we had the very public spat between player/ player's agent/ OC and HC, which was FAR from classy on ANY concerned.

Hail.

If your boss painted a picture that made you look ineffective and washed up, potentially ruining any value you may have still had on the open market would you just sit quietly and take it or would you make some attempt to defend yourself? I'm just saying...

I honestly would hate to see McNabb go. I don't think Donovan got a fair shake in Washington under Mike Shanahan. With all of the talk about releasing him, trading him, him not wanting to wear a wrist band, him being a bad fit for the offense, is all garbage to me. Why trade for him, thus giving up two valuable picks if he wasn't going to be a Redskin long term? I hope the trade doesn't happen, because McNabb gives us a better chance to win. Not Grossman or Beck. But McNabb. I wish him well if he's traded to Minnesota or any other NFL team. If he is, hopefully we can get a good trade out of it.

I honestly would hate to see McNabb go. I don't think Donovan got a fair shake in Washington under Mike Shanahan. With all of the talk about releasing him, trading him, him not wanting to wear a wrist band, him being a bad fit for the offense, is all garbage to me. Why trade for him, thus giving up two valuable picks if he wasn't going to be a Redskin long term? I hope the trade doesn't happen, because McNabb gives us a better chance to win. Not Grossman or Beck. But McNabb. I wish him well if he's traded to Minnesota or any other NFL team. If he is, hopefully we can get a good trade out of it.

This. Well said.

I back everything you say 100%...... I love this team but it's been really hard to love this team the past couple of years. With that said Mc5 I feel just didn't want to be here. He is our best option in my opinion and still is if on our roster.

I love em too. That's why its hard to endure all this Tom Foolery. I'm not trying to make Shanny out to be Jim Zorn of course but he's definitely no Joe Gibbs either. I think he's overrated and it disappoints and bothers me that a large percentage of the Skins fanbase is going along with Shanny's BS while kicking D-Mac squarely in his butt on his way out the door. I know Redskins fans have more class than that but I guess because Shanny presents himself as the all knowing.... for the time being he's been annointed the savior of redskins nation.

---------- Post added July-26th-2011 at 09:43 PM ----------

haha @ "Hopefully, Rex Grossman is part of the deal so the Vikings will have someone to run the two minute drill."

Hilarious!

Rumor is we are in the conversation for Matt Leinart....which I think is a definet upgrade over Grossman or Beck.

As for Mcnabb, I never liked him and thought he was overated, but I did think he was an upgrade at the QB position from what we were used to. I could care less about him leaving becuase he did nothing for us, did not want to run the offense Shannys way, and bottom line the guy is and always will be an Eagle...no matter how many teams he goes to after us he will always be an Eagle....when Rex Grossman comes in and is more productive in an offensive system than you then you gotta think maybe your the problem.

I was hoping we would maybe go out and get a Kyle Orton, but Leinart with Grossman backing him up and Beck as the 3rd string would be fine with me...then next year you draft a 1st rnd QB for the future, and have him learn behind Leinart (or whoever) and dump who ever is worse Grossman, or Beck.

I love em too. That's why its hard to endure all this Tom Foolery. I'm not trying to make Shanny out to be Jim Zorn of course but he's definitely no Joe Gibbs either. I think he's overrated and it disappoints and bothers me that a large percentage of the Skins fanbase is going along with Shanny's BS while kicking D-Mac squarely in his butt on his way out the door. I know Redskins fans have more class than that but I guess because Shanny presents himself as the all knowing.... for the time being he's been annointed the savior of redskins nation.

Not a fan of Shanahan at all....but with that being said, I was never a big fan of McNabb as a QB either.

Archived