Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mcnabb trade talks with Minnesota ARE happening

Missin Meast

According to Grant Paulsen and Adam Schefter via twitter...the Redskins are in contact with the Minnesota about trading for QB Donovan McNabb....

I know we all thought this MIGHT happen, but many sources said no one would actually TRADE for him...just thought I would update!

UPDATED INFORMATION:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the Vikings "are one of a few teams" that have talked to the Redskins about acquiring quarterback Donovan McNabb, but that Minnesota would have to be able to restructure McNabb's contract before acquiring him.

It would be a coup for Washington if they could get anything of value for McNabb, considering the public nature of his falling-out with that organization before the end of his first and only year there. But quarterbacks are scarce, and it sounds as if the Vikings are interested in bringing in McNabb to tutor and/or back up first-round pick Christian Ponder, or to start until Ponder is ready.

I wonder if McNabb will be interested enough in playing Kurt Warner to Ponder's Eli Manning that he'd re-work his deal in order to get a trade done. I'm sure he wants out of Washington, considering how badly things went for him there. But remember, when the Eagles traded McNabb in the 2010 off-season, they consulted him on where he wanted to go, and Washington was his pick. If he doesn't want to live in Minneapolis in the winter, or if he doesn't want to risk losing a starting job to a rookie by midseason, he could make it tough for the Vikings to acquire him. Especially if he knows other teams (Miami still makes a lot of sense, to me) are interested.

Yeah saw this on Rick Maese twitter...with the bonus due to him next month as a reason it might not get done.

And this is the reason why everyone said it wouldn't happen.

He would have to want to go to Minny and be willing to re-negotiate as well for us to have any chance to trade him.

I asked this in the other tread but since there is a dedicated theard I'll ask here as well...

Not sure if this is possible in football, but can a team pick up a portion of a players salary to make a trade possible (go go new CBA)? This is often done in baseball to facilitate trades for players with high salaries. For example, when the Mets traded K-Rod to the Brewers they agreed to pick up some of his salary for 2012 to make sure the deal happens.

Since the bonus is an issue could the Skins pick up a portion to make the trade work? Or is re-negotiation with the new team the only option to make this work?

I asked this in the other tread but since there is a dedicated theard I'll ask here as well...

Not sure if this is possible in football, but can a team pick up a portion of a players salary to make a trade possible (go go new CBA)? This is often done in baseball to facilitate trades for players with high salaries. For example, when the Mets traded K-Rod to the Brewers they agreed to pick up some of his salary for 2012 to make sure the deal happens.

Since the bonus is an issue could the Skins pick up a portion to make the trade work? Or is re-negotiation with the new team the only option to make this work?

I was wondering the same thing.

Re-negoiation is the only way it would work. We can't pick up a portion like baseball.

I know McNabb will have to restructure his deal before he gets traded anywhere. Any chance that he refuses to restructure just to get a release so that the Skins get nothing?

Of course it's possible. He could also get a sore elbow in training camp and could be put on IR for the year. I don't think either would happen, but it's *possible*

I know McNabb will have to restructure his deal before he gets traded anywhere. Any chance that he refuses to restructure just to get a release so that the Skins get nothing?

I would think he would do anything possible to get out of town. I'm sure, he could restructure, with an agreement with Minny to re-sign at some point. We'll see though....

Archived