Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hogs Haven: Is Now the Time to Trade Chris Cooley?

SWFLSkins

With the new CBA done and the FA frenzy about to start would now be the time to get the most for a very productive player that probably won't put the team over the hump this year. Could the Redskins move on and get over market value for one of the games better TE's?

There are not that many impact players available and I think some team would probably overpay for a player like Cooley. I was interested to see what everyone thinks about this possibility. I love Cooley and I know what he brings to the game, I was hoping to see more two TE sets used last year. I don't know if Kyle who appears to have more control in the offense plans on doing that or if Mike see the writing on the wall as is laid out in this article in Hogs Haven.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2011/7/23/2289870/is-now-the-time-to-trade-chris-cooley

This has been a topic of discussion in the past, but in the abbreviated post-season that is, hopefully, about to begin, does it make more sense now to consider trading Chris Cooley more than ever before? I say yes.

Sure we all love Cooley, but we also have to embrace our youth and our rebuilding process. With free agency and player movement in such a condensed period of time Cooley could become a tremendously hot commodity. There frankly just aren't that many options available on the free agent market. So would a team looking for that one piece to get them over the hump be willing to pay more for Cooley than normal?

If we were prudent about it, no question.

But we won't be, so we won't even float the idea, which is to our detriment IMHO. I love CC. My favorite Redskin for a good few years now of the current crop. But we're in the midst of a total rebuild, and he's one of the few top level talents we have that can aid that in real value. Aside from the fact we're set at TE with a younger, more athletic, potentially better receiving TE in FreddyD and a young, big blocking one with great hands in Poulson.

All that said, it's hardly the worst thing in the World if we don't as Chris is still a top 5 TE in this league.

Hail.

No. Even on a young team you need some pros who play and practice on a very high level to teach the pups how it should be done. Cooley can fill that role. He's a worker.

A part of the reason that the Gibbs I teams were so great was that its best players were its hardest workers (Art Monk, Darrell Green, etc.) they set the tempo. Recently our best players have been no shows, anti-practice, and potential high guys.

Besides, we're already 45 million under the salary floor and you want to shed salary?

No. Even on a young team you need some pros who play and practice on a very high level to teach the pups how it should be done. Cooley can fill that role. He's a worker.

A part of the reason that the Gibbs I teams were so great was that its best players were its hardest workers (Art Monk, Darrell Green, etc.) they set the tempo. Recently our best players have been no shows, anti-practice, and potential high guys.

Besides, we're already 45 million under the salary floor and you want to shed salary?

I would tend to agree with you about the professionalism Cooley brings, but considering where the team is at, the two other TE's and what the team could get in a trade.....I think they would be stupid not to consider it. Salary cap aside, trade him if the right deal comes along and re-sign Davis now before he becomes a FA after next year.

That's part of it too. I don't think tight ends are that highly valued. Cooley's still in his prime, but tight ends are not traded for much and are usually drafted pretty low as well. I'd rather keep an pro-bowl or just under quality tight end than trade him for a fourth or fifth rounder. If someone wanted to give us a first rounder or a really solid guard, corner, or other vet in a need position then maybe you roll the dice, but right now... Davis hasn't proved he's more than potential.

The one thing Shanny showed last year is that he is willing to sit folks and let the people who are producing play. That's why Armstrong ended as our No. 2, why Keiland Wiliams unseated a bunch of proven vets to be our third down back, why Banks beat out Devin Thomas, etc. Davis hasn't proven himself to the degree where he could supplant Cooley or force them to design packages for them both. Frankly, I'm tired of the Redskins valuing measurables over production. Give me Neil Olkiewitz over Jermiah Trotter any day.

While I would like to see Fred Davis flourish, I doubt if the Redskins would trade Cooley. Seeing as though Davis was the higher draft pick, you would think that he's more gifted than Cooley. But Cooley is gifted also and brings an awful lot to the table in terms of talent. Mike Shanahan knows what the team has with these two great TEs. Because of both Davis and Cooley, TE is one position that the Redskins are very strong at so therefore, no, they would not trade either of them.

..... but right now... Davis hasn't proved he's more than potential......

Kinda' hard to do that man when you have a boneheaded OC that didn't utilize the talent at his disposal in year one. FreddyD was a beast when he did actually see the filed last year. (11 first down's from 21 receptions/ Averaging 15 yrds. p/recp./ 4 rec. over 20 yrds/ 2 over 40 with a long of 71.). His production was frightening, but Kyle in his (dumbass) wisdom thought that was only good enough for minimal on-field action.

And that was off the back of a great second half to his second year when he got a chance when Cooley went down and was our offense in many respects.

Little harsh there Bur to say he's still to prove he's more than mere 'potential.'

Hail.

Not for less than a second rounder, which we wouldn't get, so no.

I don't think we'd get a 2nd rounder for him...that's what Tony Gonzalez was traded for two years ago. And if Davis outperforms Cooley, you HAVE to take what you can get for him. Cooley's signed through 2013. We aren't going to pay him at least $3.7 mil for the next 3 seasons to be a backup.

This is why it really should've been done last season...but maybe Cooley beat him out in camp last season. Who knows?

Kinda' hard to do that man when you have a boneheaded OC that didn't utilize the talent at his disposal in year one. FreddyD was a beast when he did actually see the filed last year. (11 first down's from 21 receptions/ Averaging 15 yrds. p/recp./ 4 rec. over 20 yrds/ 2 over 40 with a long of 71.). His production was frightening, but Kyle in his (dumbass) wisdom thought that was only good enough for minimal on-field action.

And that was off the back of a great second half to his second year when he got a chance when Cooley went down and was our offense in many respects.

Little harsh there Bur to say he's still to prove he's more than mere 'potential.'

Hail.

Yeah, but I'm a big believer in forcing the coach's hand. Armstrong did it. Banks did it. Keiland did it. There were tons of players who rose through the ranks last year and supplanted starters. Davis couldn't unseat Cooley or more importantly, couldn't make a loud enough case for himself that the coaches thought a two tight end attack with him might be more effective than having Roydell, Galloway or whoever we trotted out there as a number three despite the fact that that number three did nothing.

It's up to Davis to shine so brightly in practice, in the film room, and in the skull sessions that they have no choice, but to give him his shot and then for him to execute.

As I've said since Davis replaced him in 2009 with no drop-off, I'd trade Cooley for the right price. The problem is, it's very possible that Cooley wouldn't bring back enough return. I'm not sure how many teams are really looking for a reliable pass-catching TE who is an average blocker. Nothing against Cooley, but he might be worth more on the field than he is in a trade. If they could get a nice pick or a younger player at a position of need though, pull the trigger and play Davis/Paulsen.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think the Redskins have more than 2-3 players who are untouchable, and even the guys I'm thinking of (Orakpo, Landry, Williams, etc.) probably have a price if a team is willing to pay it.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think the Redskins have more than 2-3 players who are untouchable, and even the guys I'm thinking of (Orakpo, Landry, Williams, etc.) probably have a price if a team is willing to pay it.

I do agree with that, but I'd say if I were GM Landry would be tradeable for the right place. He's had a couple of really bad years. Last year, he started off great, but he's coming off back a significant injury. He just hasn't been consistantly good enough that I would say he's untouchable. Too many bad angles, missed tackles, and bone headed plays.

The time was last year. I started saying this at the end of 2009.

Should have traded him while value is high, Davis is there and should have been able to step up if he was made the starter.

Now he's got a few injuries, his value is decreased. I'd be surprised if we saw a fourth offered for him anywhere.

In the modern NFL, when you have assets, the best thing to do is use them, not horde them. TE was the only position in the last few years that we've had anything to offer as serious bait in which we would not have lost on the deal immediately by creating a hole.

~Bang

Hail.

And you were saying Burgold was a little harsh?? Geesh. :)

---------- Post added July-24th-2011 at 11:42 AM ----------

There is not a single person on the redskins is not tradable lol; Trent Williams are you kidding me?
I would definitely agree, though I think (and the majority will disagree with me), that I would not trade London Fletcher. Why London? No matter what talent you have, you have to have a leader, and I think London is definitely the leader on Defense. You would not get much for London anyways so he is definitely more of an asset playing for the Redskins than being traded. I know he has lost a step, not really much in my opinion, but what he brings to the table in terms of leadership is huge. While I love Cooley, I do not think he is a leader, and for a good trade, I would trade him.

Can't even say Landry's untradeable. Remember last season we were offering him and Haynesworth to the Eagles in trade talks for McNabb. The Eagles did us a HUGE favor by not being interested in either one of them then.

We've got two 'starting caliber' TEs -- and a system that doesn't rely that much on a 2-TE set. Unless the OC decides to get very creative -- this is an area where the Skins are over-stocked.

My sense is that the Skins need to start thinking about trading players before their value is depleted, and preferably when their stock is high. Cooley is a good candidate, although we should have tried to do so last season. McIntosh and Carter were others-- although I don't think we could have gotten much value. One day, we'll need to think about trading Landry, before he injures himself with all those hard hits.

It's a balancing act though. You want to keep the team competitive and marketable, so you do need your star players. But you also need to be building to the future -- and giving future stars their chance to blossom. I think Fred Davis is the real deal -- he could step in and fill Cooley's spot very adequately. That said, I wouldn't trade Cooley until Fred Davis had secretly inked his deal.

I think we could get a nice veteran player (Linebacker, Lineman?) or about maybe a 3rd -4th rounder in exchange. Last year, I suspect it might have been a 2nd rounder for Cooley and a 5th round pick.

Archived