Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hogs Haven: Is Now the Time to Trade Chris Cooley?

SWFLSkins

Yeah, but I'm a big believer in forcing the coach's hand. Armstrong did it. Banks did it. Keiland did it. There were tons of players who rose through the ranks last year and supplanted starters. Davis couldn't unseat Cooley or more importantly, couldn't make a loud enough case for himself that the coaches thought a two tight end attack with him might be more effective than having Roydell, Galloway or whoever we trotted out there as a number three despite the fact that that number three did nothing.

It's up to Davis to shine so brightly in practice, in the film room, and in the skull sessions that they have no choice, but to give him his shot and then for him to execute.

The only problem I have with that is I have zero faith in the stubborn ass boneheaded OC we currently have.

So I'm probably not the best person to impartially respond to that.

HAil.

Can't even say Landry's untradeable. Remember last season we were offering him and Haynesworth to the Eagles in trade talks for McNabb. The Eagles did us a HUGE favor by not being interested in either one of them then.

Context is pretty critical and you leave out two major points:

1) Eric Berry, who's going to be outstanding, was very much on the board and Jamaal Brown could've played left tackle.

2) Landry hadn't performed the way that he needed to in 2009, but in 2010 he was an absolute monster.

You don't trade Landry.

There is not a single person on the redskins is not tradable lol; Trent Williams are you kidding me?

You're probably right, which is why I said that even the 2-3 obvious "untouchables" all probably had a price. I guess a better way of putting it is that I would trade almost every player currently on the roster for a 2nd round pick or less, with the exception of those 3 guys. If someone wanted to give us a 1st or two 2nds for one of them, then I'd be on board. I think given their age and untapped talent, those 3 would demand a higher price. Untouchable was probably the wrong term to use.

You're probably right, which is why I said that even the 2-3 obvious "untouchables" all probably had a price. I guess a better way of putting it is that I would trade almost every player currently on the roster for a 2nd round pick, with the exception of those 3 guys. If someone wanted to give us a 1st or two 2nds for one of them, then I'd be on board.

You would trade Brian Orakpo for a first-round pick?

You would trade Brian Orakpo for a first-round pick?

I'm not a GM...so I don't know what the value would need to be. Maybe it's a first and third...my point is that there is a deal out there that makes sense depending on the return. My main point was that those 3 guys (and there could be 1 or 2 more I'm forgetting about) would require more than a 2nd round pick. I can't think of many other players on the roster, even the guys we depend on, that would require more than a 2nd.

Let me turn this around...is there a combination of picks that would make you part ways with Orakpo?

I'm probably in the minority but I'd take a 3rd for Cooley.

The way I see it, we might need that extra 3rd to trade up and get a franchise QB.

Just something to ponder....

we won't get a third.

Last offseason we may have gotten a 3rd.

Not now.

As far as "untradeables".. there are some, even on a team as bad as this .. you don't trade away good young talent until they are replaceable.

Right now no one is stepping in and playing at Orakpo's level if he's gone. Same for Landry or Trent Williams, but I don't think there's any more who fit the bill.

If you trade them for 'value' you weaken your team in doing it.

The Patriots do this because they constantly stockpile draft picks and rebuild all the time. They are ready to part ways with all but maybe four players at any given moment.. because they have the next guy ready to play.

And they have that guy ready to play because they keep a consistent philosophy that enables them to scout players effectively.

~Bang

i know all the pro trade people want to sound like they have their prudent GM, willing to sacrifice, hats on but get real. we scream and yell about Redskins football, blue collar guys that get the job done and thats what Cooley exemplifies. you don't trade Cooley for some project, diva, flashy could be or has been.

and as thin as we are in the secondary you dont trade Landry either.

This topic is getting airtime on 106.7... they must read HH as well for their stories.

As for trading Cooley, I would only do so if we could secure a third and no less. He has way too

too much value as a leader emotionally to part ways so fast. I could see some issues with trading him. For instance, if Davis goes down, do we really have confidence in paulsen to get the job done?

I will admit, it has been a bit disheartening to see Cooley lose a step. But at the end of the day, the guy's a leader. Don't let him go without proper compensation.

Oh my bad I get what you mean now still dont know they have had exceptions to the rule even if they have traded off guys for picks.

No worries....i probably didn't word it right.

I just look at the Patriots as the model franchise as far as getting a good return for players who are slightly past their prime and NOT holding on to them for sentimental reasons.

I'm probably in the minority but I'd take a 3rd for Cooley.

The way I see it, we might need that extra 3rd to trade up and get a franchise QB.

Just something to ponder....

I'd go further and say if, and it's a big IF as he's not so much as been floated so nobody truly knows what interest or value would be out there or not; but 'if" you could identify quality young talent, even if it was only to give you quality depth, and you got a willing trade partner; I'd bite the bullet and trade him in a player swap deal.

Anything that helps the rebuild and solidify's the next 5 years plus over sentiment to an ageing vet who still has value. And one with a potentially better, younger model sat behind him in the wings waiting.

Bigger picture for the future> sentiment.

Hail.

I'd trade him for a second round pick at this point. Maybe a third AFTER the season. Why on earth give someone a good price when they have no other options? You need a weapon then pay the price. Otherwise we can use him for a full season and then look to get value if that's what the coaches want. Personally I don't see the need to trade him. He's good, he loves being here, and he's a leader. Keep him unless you get an offer that too good to pass up.

I'm not a GM...so I don't know what the value would need to be. Maybe it's a first and third...my point is that there is a deal out there that makes sense depending on the return. My main point was that those 3 guys (and there could be 1 or 2 more I'm forgetting about) would require more than a 2nd round pick. I can't think of many other players on the roster, even the guys we depend on, that would require more than a 2nd.

Let me turn this around...is there a combination of picks that would make you part ways with Orakpo?

If we want to go down that path, then yes, there's a trade possibility for everyone. The Redskins offered two firsts for an aging Chad Johnson two years ago. For a 24-year-old two-time Pro Bowler at a position at which we are weak, who we just spent our first-rounder to complement, it would take maybe three firsts and a couple of thirds.

yeah i would. depending on where the pick is. Rak still can't cover at a LB

You're seriously questioning Orakpo's ability after another Pro Bowl season playing a position for the first time in a brand new defense with no other pass rusher? Really?

Personally I don't see the need to trade him.

Fred Davis. That's the conundrum here.

Cooley on his own would be a no brainer. Proven, veteren quality with a good few years left in the tank at 29 going into this year. You'd just then add someone young to groom as you go that would be happy with that.

But we also have Fred Davis. 4 years Cooley's senior, and one who's shown to have the ability to be even more explosive than Cooley. Young, fast, agile, and a serious threat EVERY TIME he touches the ball to break one. And a to-date back-up who's entering the last year of his contract.

Could you either afford to pay Davis enough, or convince him enough to stay and sit for a few more years when he could probably leave and start for the vast majority of teams in this league IMHO? Throw in the fact we're in the midst of a complete rebuild that's gona' take way longer than these first two years, needing all the help we can get to attain the pieces to keep it going.

Seems a no brainer to me. Like Bang I was arguing this last year to give Shanahan some extra picks in his first draft.

But FreddyD is the spanner in the TE conundrum.

Hail.

I love Cooley, but I've thought that we should trade him for about two years now. His value is as high as it will ever be, and our roster is not deep enough to have the luxury of keeping two very good tight ends.

If we could get a second for him somehow (contending team loses a TE to injury), I think we'd have to pull the trigger.

Archived