Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hogs Haven: Is Now the Time to Trade Chris Cooley?

SWFLSkins

I like Chris Cooley and don't see a reason to trade him, unless he wants out.

I don't see him fetching better than a 4th, and that might be a stretch, so why bother?

I agree.....but if I could get a 3rd in next years' draft, I'd seriously consider moving him.

Especially, if we're in a rebuilding mode.

The team should have gotten rid of Portis before he burned out of football.

Cooley is only going to be at least two years older than he is now by the time the team gets a legit starting QB.

I say, why not. It would hurt b/c everybody likes the guy but let's be honest he needs a QB to maximize his talent and they don't have one.

Problem is, who would give up anything for an undersized TE?

I would never agree with giving up Cooley for a 4th at this point in time or within the foreseeable future but for the right deal I think it would be worth it

If not trade Cooley, then we might as well let Davis flourish somewhere else, unless we start running some two TE sets, which I would not oppose

What do you think we can actually get for Cooley at this stage in his career? I hear this talk all the time but I think Skins fans over value his worth. We won't get much for Cooley

I think we'd get a 5th. And maybe swap up in the 7th round or some token "win" like that.

Best case is a 4th and I just don't know if we could get that.

A 3rd I think you'd have to seriously consider it but I consider that unlikely. maybe we'd give up Cooley and a 5th rounder to get the 3rd...if we were very lucky.

I guess we'll agree to disagree because I think that Fred is more than a "decent" prospect.

In fact, I believe he was better prospect than Chris coming out of school. :2cents:

That is kind of questionable - Davis when at USC was a WR and was converted to TE because he was too slow to make it as a WR at the next level - The first two seasons Davis learnt how to block and as average as Cooley is a as a blocker he still grades out better than Davis ... IF Davis could improve his blocking then I think he would see the field more .

If Zach Miller goes to the Seahawks, when a week ago it was unthinkable he'd be leaving Oakland, it would be the PERFECT time to dangle Cooley for a 3rd and 4th or something. Miller (and maybe Ford in the future) IS that passing offense, and if he goes they need an equivalent target for Campbell (convenient, eh?) to target for 6 yards on 3rd and 8. It could be perfect. They need SOME downfield receiving threat at TE to keep defenses semi-honest for DMC, and he can join Campbell and Rock.

You'd be stupid not to entertain trades proposals for any player, but I'd hate to see Cooley go. I can't count the number of times I've watched him bail us out by getting open at the last second and making a critical catch. He's not the most gifted athlete, but he knows how to find the seams, get open, and make the catch. If we trade Cooley, we had better get a heck of a lot of trade value in return.

If we somehow could get a 1st, sure. Other than that, absolutely not.

No second, third, or later round pick is likely to give us as much benefit as Chris Cooley does. By all accounts he's a good locker room guy, a solid role model regarding practice and attitude towards the game, and is still a very talented tight end. On top of that he is a great ambassador for the team and one of the shining bright spots for it. Even if he begins to decline and it becomes Davis and Cooley instead of Cooley and Davis to me its worth keeping him.

The benefit from trading him has a small chance of actually outweighing the benefit of keeping him. Don't do it.

The opportunity to trade Cooley for anything close to the value he brings this team both on the field and in the locker room past 2 offseasons ago. TE's do not bring much back anyways and we would be lucky to get a third round pick for him. Might as well get creative with him and Davis.

The opportunity to trade Cooley for anything close to the value he brings this team both on the field and in the locker room past 2 offseasons ago. TE's do not bring much back anyways and we would be lucky to get a third round pick for him. Might as well get creative with him and Davis.

100% agree with this

Cooley wouldn't fetch more than a 4th rounder at best. Might as well keep a fan favorite, and a consistent veteran presence that always comes through during the season.

We are a team without a QB and with needs at OL, LB, WR, RB(Torain needs to show he can stay healthy for more than 5 games) and kicker. Not sure I understand how he not trading CC(hypothetically for no less than a second rd) would not benefit this team.

There seems to be a prevalent belief in the keep Cooley camp that a pic equals an unknown. I like to believe that having plenty of firepower heading into the draft allows you to target ANY PLAYER without having to throw in future draft pics, but that's just me.

As much as I hate Belicheat, I have to respect how the Patriots FO never gets too attached to any player and for the most part gets value for players while they still have some.

:logo:I grew up a 'Skins fan, I just turned 14 so Cooley is one of my fav. player. My fav player would be Lavar Arrington, but Cooley has SO much skill that they already bruised Redskins team can't give away. If traded, it would be like trading a soldier for food and supplies, it would make no sense. We really need Snyder to resign to make the team better. Gibbs should be our manager!!:logo::eaglesuck

the guy makes the best coffee mugs in the world. the coaches' wives all dig his vases too. he's not going anywhere any time soon. he is just too talented and his hands are magical on the wheel and on the field. :kiss:

:ols: :ols: I needed that laugh this morning.

I honestly think too many people are treating Fred Davis like "money in the bank" when his play on field has hardly shown this as of yet. Cooley is one of the most consistent guys on offense on this team, and has been since he was drafted.

I understand the nature of the business so I know it is silly to say a player should never be traded, but let Fred Davis actually show he can be as reliable and consistent as Cooley, and then we can re-visit this discussion.

We all know Cooley is a good quote and a large personality, but what exactly is he bringing to the locker room? I'm not being a jerk...I'm genuinely curious. I hear people bringing up the word "leadership" in this discussion. Why am I not seeing it w. #47? It's no knock on him, but just because he's a long-tenured Redskin doesn't necessarily make him a leader.

I don't think so. CC is completely polished w/ sure hands and a solid blocker. Davis is an O weapon and not into blocking. The 3rd stringer is a pure blocker. Why dump a complete player for two incompletes.

Disagree with you. While Cooley does have blocking ability, he's not a solid blocker. Same with his hands, Davis has much better hands than Cooley. Edge on the three you mentioned:

Experience: Cooley

Hands: Davis

Blocking: Cooley

Do keep in mind though that Davis is in his third year. Instead of dumping Cooley now, I say keep him this year, since the wr corps doesn't look very strong, and use a lot of 2 tight end sets. That would be a match up nightmare for defenses to try and have two lbs to cover Cooley and Davis. I do think, however, that Davis is on his way up and Cooley is on his way down. I think the reason that people have brought him up in trades is that if he has another off year this year, than we may not get the value we could at this time next year.

Guest Spearfeather
Disagree with you. While Cooley does have blocking ability, he's not a solid blocker. Same with his hands, Davis has much better hands than Cooley. Edge on the three you mentioned:

Experience: Cooley

Hands: Davis

Blocking: Cooley

Do keep in mind though that Davis is in his third year. Instead of dumping Cooley now, I say keep him this year, since the wr corps doesn't look very strong, and use a lot of 2 tight end sets. That would be a match up nightmare for defenses to try and have two lbs to cover Cooley and Davis. I do think, however, that Davis is on his way up and Cooley is on his way down. I think the reason that people have brought him up in trades is that if he has another off year this year, than we may not get the value we could at this time next year.

Why do you say he has much better hands? ( Cooley had a bad game in Chicago last year )

Davis is entering his fourth season, and will be a free agent next year.

How many off years has Cooley had?

Why do you think Cooley's on his way down?

Archived