Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HP: Deportations Of Immigrants Hits Record Number Under Obama Administration

@DCGoldPants

Deportations Of Immigrants Hits Record Number Under Obama Administration

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Huge increases in deportations of people after they were arrested for breaking traffic or immigration laws or driving drunk helped the Obama administration set a record last year for the number of criminal immigrants forced to leave the country, documents show.

The U.S. deported nearly 393,000 people in the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30, half of whom were considered criminals. Of those, 27,635 had been arrested for drunken driving, more than double the 10,851 deported after drunken driving arrests in 2008, the last full year of the Bush administration, according to Immigration and Customs Enforcement data provided to The Associated Press.

More after the jumpity jump jump

I have no problem w/ undocumented aliens working here. Despite the populist rhetoric, the economic benefits outweigh the overblown economic downsides. I'm also ecstatic about deporting every last one that drives drunk or commits a serious crime (and no, I do not consider crossing the border a serious crime).

I have no problem w/ undocumented aliens working here. Despite the populist rhetoric, the economic benefits outweigh the overblown economic downsides. I'm also ecstatic about deporting every last one that drives drunk or commits a serious crime (and no, I do not consider crossing the border a serious crime).

Hey, something else we agree on!

I'd feel better about that if I didn't know how broken the immigration system is and I wasn't wondering how much time innocent people spent jailed because they were denied rights by virtue of being accused of illegal status.

---------- Post added July-22nd-2011 at 06:57 PM ----------

I'm also ecstatic about deporting every last one that drives drunk or commits a serious crime (and no, I do not consider crossing the border a serious crime).

or any crime at all depending on the mood of immigration officials.

The most common way that people lose their right to a green card is by committing a crime. Unlike what is commonly believed, it doesn't have to be a major crime or a felony. For example, a person can be removed from the United States (deported) for helping someone enter the United States illegally, for committing domestic violence, for possessing even a small amount of drugs, or for any crime that's considered morally wrong (such as fraud, theft, a crime with the intent of doing great bodily harm, or a sex offense). Some of these crimes are misdemeanors that may not be punishable with time in jail.

However, there is no set list that tells you which crimes make you removable. If you are arrested for anything at all, consult not only a criminal lawyer, but also an immigration lawyer to find out whether and how you can avoid removal (deportation)

Or failing to notify them of your change of address fast enough

An immigrant can even be removed for failing to advise USCIS of a change of address within ten days of moving. In the past, USCIS almost never did anything about this. However, with increased security concerns, USCIS has begun using this rule against people it wishes to remove from the United States.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/keeping-green-card-29707.html

Obama's stance on immigration is one of the reasons he'll lose in 2012. The Hispanic community feels betrayed and their is a lot of anger towards him at the moment. Americans see the headline of this thread and think it's a great thing. They don't realize how the treatment of legal immigrants has grown shameful and the treatment of "suspected" illegals has many in the community concerned.

Unless something drastic happens I will not be supporting Obama. In fact I will be making sure democrats understand that his loss is an example of things to come if those *******s follow his lead.

Des he will present a immigration reform plan before long to regain favor(naturally one doomed to fail)

I agree it is a shame how they are mistreated....shame on those that enable illegals and doom them to a shadow world fraught with abuse

Unless something drastic happens I will not be supporting Obama. In fact I will be making sure democrats understand that his loss is an example of things to come if those *******s follow his lead.

I don't get this attitude.

"I refuse to support the President because he is insufficiently sympathetic to my community, thus indirectly helping to elect the candidate of the party that is controlled by a faction that is actively hostile to my community..." :whoknows:

Obama's stance on immigration is one of the reasons he'll lose in 2012. The Hispanic community feels betrayed and their is a lot of anger towards him at the moment. Americans see the headline of this thread and think it's a great thing. They don't realize how the treatment of legal immigrants has grown shameful and the treatment of "suspected" illegals has many in the community concerned.

Do you really think the majority of the hispanic community would rather see a republican in office? There is no chance he loses in 2012 because of the hispanic vote. My parents came here illegally so it is a sensitive subject for me to discuss but whether you believe it or not we understand coming here illegally is against the LAW. Does it break my heart that these innocent people get deported? Yes. Do I feel like the guy I voted for has betrayed me? Not at all.

"I refuse to support the President because he is insufficiently sympathetic to my community, thus indirectly helping to elect the candidate of the party that is controlled by a faction that is actively hostile to my community..." :whoknows:

Yeah, but the "actively hostile" faction just talk about being tough on illegal immigration. Obama has made the mistake of actually doing something.

C'mon, guys. The government can't even agree on whether or not to default in a couple days. Where do you think immigration reform is on Obama's priority list right now? I'll be the first to admit that not much has "changed", but Obama is still the lesser of the two evils right now, imo...

Des he will present a immigration reform plan before long to regain favor(naturally one doomed to fail)

I agree it is a shame how they are mistreated....shame on those that enable illegals and doom them to a shadow world fraught with abuse

Holding someone for months that may have kids without giving them a chance to for a bond hearing or to establish if there is any merit to the case is wrong, damn wrong. Sadly that practice has gotten worse under Obama.

I personally wasn't even talking about illegals. The way LEGAL immigrants are treated is disgusting. Imagine dealing with the department of motor vehicles (with armed guards and bullet proof glass) only in this instance they don't even pretend to give a damn what you have to say and if they screw up you could end up in an immigration prison. But that's not even the best part, once they've decided you're status has changed to illegal you are stripped of your rights so you can't even defend yourself at any predictable time. You just sit and rot in a holding cell while your life is destroyed even if you did nothing wrong.

I was under the impression that Obama was more, not less, embraced by the Hispanic community than he was in 2008.

Not in my community,and yes it is Hispanic.

Ya need to learn to multi-task Renegade ;)

I don't get this attitude.

Insufficiently sympathetic? If you were part of a group at risk of being randomly jailed indefinitely and stripped of rights over possible errors or mood swings of low level government employees I think you'd be pretty damn irritated by that description. I might add that Bush and the Republican controlled congress did no worse and Bush tried harder than Obama to pass comprehensive immigration reform.

---------- Post added July-22nd-2011 at 09:17 PM ----------

Do you really think the majority of the hispanic community would rather see a republican in office? There is no chance he loses in 2012 because of the hispanic vote. My parents came here illegally so it is a sensitive subject for me to discuss but whether you believe it or not we understand coming here illegally is against the LAW. Does it break my heart that these innocent people get deported? Yes. Do I feel like the guy I voted for has betrayed me? Not at all.

Who is talking about illegals? I'm not. I have a problem with some of the things done with illegals when there are children in the balance but I wasn't even speaking towards illegals. I'm talking about the treatment of LEGAL immigrants.

Not in my community,and yes it is Hispanic.

Keep your birth certificate handy.

The son of a decorated Vietnam veteran, Hector Veloz is a U.S. citizen, but in 2007 immigration officials mistook him for an illegal immigrant and locked him in an Arizona prison for 13 months.

Veloz had to prove his citizenship from behind bars. An aunt helped him track down his father's birth certificate and his own, his parents' marriage certificate, his father's school, military and Social Security records.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-07-27/news/17218849_1_judy-rabinovitz-immigration-laws-illegal-immigrant

What would your world look like if you spent 13 months in jail for looking illegal-ish?

I might add that Bush and the Republican controlled congress did no worse and Bush tried harder than Obama to pass comprehensive immigration reform

I'm not talking about Bush. It is 2011. Bush is long gone, and the Tea Parties are riding high in the GOP.

I do not think it is an exaggeration to say that the typical Tea Partier's view toward immigrants is much closer to Tom Tancredo and Sheriff Joe Arpaio than it is to George W. Bush.

---------- Post added July-22nd-2011 at 03:18 PM ----------

Hostile to my community Predicto?....seriously?

Not the whole GOP, of course. And not you, of course.

But the Tancredo Force is strong in the GOP base these days, is it not, padawan?

---------- Post added July-22nd-2011 at 03:19 PM ----------

The son of a decorated Vietnam veteran, Hector Veloz is a U.S. citizen, but in 2007 immigration officials mistook him for an illegal immigrant and locked him in an Arizona prison for 13 months.

Well, clearly Obama deserves to lose your support because of something an immogration official did two years before Obama was sworn into office. :)

Hostile to my community Predicto?....seriously?

If Texas is your community, you can consider me hostile (no offense to fellow football-fan-freak-board mod, Hostile). :pfft:

I think my first militant interactions with Texans was in the early 70's as a young man on the Alaksan pipeline when me and my fellows would whip "ya'all"s asses when you'd come struttin' up all ****y with those stupid (for up there) hats, suffering from size-anxiety---given the much smaller state ya hail from. :D

Archived