Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HP: Deportations Of Immigrants Hits Record Number Under Obama Administration

@DCGoldPants

Keep your birth certificate handy.

Always a wise choice....as is registering your birth with the US(when born in another country) and getting a certificate of citizenship if you move here

also helps not to commit a crime

or

"With somebody who misrepresents their true identity and makes a false statement to an ICE officer, it creates a problem for the government and for themselves," she said.

Hmmm, a ounce of prevention....

I don't think I have to worry too much,I know they got a nice file on me ...if anything they are too familiar with my records :)

add

Jumbo ,it could easily have been part of my family...except for the whipping part....I'd have to see that :pfft:

Only thing I'm met more arrogant than a Texan is a Marine,but attitude helps when you gotta do the impossible :ols:

Well, clearly Obama deserves to lose your support because of something an immigration official did two years before Obama was sworn into office. :)

Clearly that's my reasoning. Start here, Pretty obvious what's going on here. When democrats had the power to do something they didn't and now the plan is to fail again during an election year to once again make themselves look better to a voting block they need.

i've been happy about this as they are focusing more on felony illegals.

Thats how it should be as we need illegals to continue the growth to survive, but remove those that can't participate in societ.

its that 90 day probation, but for the length of the illegal term until they finally pass a law to allow them to stay as Reagan did.

Clearly that's my reasoning.

It kind of appears to be.

You are pissed at Obama for not fixing the immigration issue, and for excesses of the INS that began long before he came into office, so he will not get your support. So that is one less vote for the guy who will be opposed in the general election by a GOP candidate that counts anti-immigrant xenophobes as a significant part of his or her base.

I realise that I can't tell you how to think, but it still puzzles me. I have a couple of gay friends who say the same thing, that Obama has not worked hard enough for their causes and will not get their support next year, no matter what. It seems like shooting yourself in the foot. :whoknows:

Always a wise choice....as is registering your birth with the US(when born in another country) and getting a certificate of citizenship if you move here
Stupid babies always forgetting to remember to do this.

"With somebody who misrepresents their true identity and makes a false statement to an ICE officer, it creates a problem for the government and for themselves," she said.

I'm sure ICE runs into citizens claiming to be illegals all the time.... BTW - Giving a false name results in automatic assumption of illegal status now? Interesting. I wonder if such people had any other characteristics that might make them more likely to be assumed illegal. Hmmm.... I'll have to think about that.

Since we are quoting randomly from the article, here is the part I liked:

ICE's presumption that everyone in immigration custody is an alien undermines the act, said Holly Cooper, a professor of immigration law at UC Davis.

"The system is set up so even if they believe you, you have to prove it in court. It could take six months to five years to prove it and you're detained in the meantime," said Cooper, who helped Veloz win his freedom on appeal. "You give up your citizenship at the prison door."

Seems fair to me!

---------- Post added July-22nd-2011 at 11:03 PM ----------

It kind of appears to be.

You are pissed at Obama for not fixing the immigration issue, and for excesses of the INS that began long before he came into office, so he will not get your support. So that is one less vote for the guy who will be opposed in the general election by a GOP candidate that counts anti-immigrant xenophobes as a significant part of his or her base.

I realise that I can't tell you how to think, but it still puzzles me. I have a couple of gay friends who say the same thing, that Obama has not worked hard enough for their causes and will not get their support next year, no matter what. It seems like shooting yourself in the foot. :whoknows:

See the article I added to that post.

Clearly that's my reasoning. Start here, Pretty obvious what's going on here. When democrats had the power to do something they didn't and now the plan is to fail again during an election year to once again make themselves look better to a voting block they need.

Yes, DailyKos is disappointed with Obama. I'm not surprised. I'm disappointed with him too.

What you assume to be a devious plan that was intended to fail, I view as a failed allocation of political capital. Obama, for better or worse, chose to go after health care reform, economic stimulus, financial regulation, and mending fences overseas as his initial primary initiatives. And he got chewed up in the process, and lost his House majority, and now has to deal with a Congress that has ZERO interest in doing any of the things that you want to happen.

Which sucks.

Jumbo ,it could easily have been part of my family...except for the whipping part....I'd have to see that :pfft:

I was 11-1 during my tenure, and a couple of the "11" incidents involved more than one at a time :D. The "1" was a Ukranian that I swear to God was either former Speznatz or a refugee from one of those Rooskie chemically-enhanced Olympic Team experiments. :ols:

Stupid babies always forgetting to remember to do this.

Parents have responsibilities,as do children as they become adults

Mañana creates problems.....especially if ya add to them

Yes, DailyKos is disappointed with Obama. I'm not surprised. I'm disappointed with him too.

What you assume to be a devious plan that was intended to fail, I view as a failed allocation of political capital. Obama, for better or worse, chose to go after health care reform, economic stimulus, financial regulation, and mending fences overseas as his initial primary initiatives. And he got chewed up in the process, and lost his House majority, and now has to deal with a Congress that has ZERO interest in doing any of the things that you want to happen.

Which sucks.

Devious plan intended to fail? No need for theatrics Predicto I'm well aware that he used the promises he made to Latino voters as political capital. The question is simple, is there reason to believe he won't do it again? He didn't help himself when he said his administration wasn't rounding up students in an interview with Jorge Ramos... only to be confronted with evidence later that it in fact was to which he replied "America is a nation of laws, which means I, as the president, am obligated to enforce the law." When does he stop spending his Latino capital and going back on his word?

---------- Post added July-22nd-2011 at 11:39 PM ----------

Parents have responsibilities,as do children as they become adults

I agree. Sorting it out would be easier with the right to counsel, speedy trial, and presumption of innocence.

Yeah, but the "actively hostile" faction just talk about being tough on illegal immigration. Obama has made the mistake of actually doing something.

There's a lot of truth to this, on the illegal immigration front. Republicans talk a big game, but they're afraid of hurting businesses that use illegals, so they don't ever seem to actually get around to getting anything done.

So, Obama is ordering the killing of terrorists, and over-seeing an increased number of deportations of illegal-immigrants. I guess all he has to do next is call homosexuality a plague from Satan and the religious right will vote for him?

In many ways, President Obama represents George W Bush's third term.

I'd imagine it'd be a tough call. On the one hand, if you vote for Obama, you show him and other Democrats that they can continue to take you for granted, because you've got nowhere else to go. On the other hand, if you don't vote for Obama, you actively work for someone that is going to be worse for your interests.

It seems like one is a short term decision (get the candidate that's slightly better now into office), and the other is more long term (short term pain for a better chance of being taken more seriously long term).

I don't know which I would choose, were I in that position.

I agree. Sorting it out would be easier with the right to counsel, speedy trial, and presumption of innocence.

All of which he had at his criminal trial ,long before ICE getting custody of him

I'm not feeling much sympathy in this case,but I do agree there are problems that need correcting

I'd imagine it'd be a tough call. On the one hand, if you vote for Obama, you show him and other Democrats that they can continue to take you for granted, because you've got nowhere else to go. On the other hand, if you don't vote for Obama, you actively work for someone that is going to be worse for your interests.

It seems like one is a short term decision (get the candidate that's slightly better now into office), and the other is more long term (short term pain for a better chance of being taken more seriously long term).

Reality is more complicated than that.

This assumes that Democrats and Obama who lose actually think they lost because they were too conservative on immigration. Republicans will bash any Democrat for being pro-amnesty and pro-illegal immigration no matter how conservative that Democrat has been on immigration. So when you are constantly blasted as being pro-amnesty, etc and you lose an election, you tend to think it was because you were too liberal on immigration and it further pushes the spectrum to the right. You end up setting your movement back even further than you originally thought because you have to again move the political spectrum back to where it was before.

This is similar to Democrats thinking their sitting home on election day will send a message to Democrats not to take them for granted. Well, when you lose an election after constantly being bashed for being too liberal, it's no wonder that Democrats and Obama came back in a much more centrist/right-leaning fashion after the mid-terms.

Not a big fan of deporting people for minor offenses.

The New Colossus

"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

-Emma Lazarus, 1883

Regarding the article, I wonder if this might be a case of confusing correlation with causation. I suspect tough immigration laws enacted by states like Arizona have more to do with this increase in deportation than Obama does.

All of which he had at his criminal trial ,long before ICE getting custody of him

I'm not feeling much sympathy in this case,but I do agree there are problems that need correcting

I'm not following your logic, help me out. He had due process for the crime of receiving stolen property... how does that translate to ICE detention center with no rights? Previously you blamed people for the actions of their parents around the time of their birth. So by what I'm reading any people with bad parents or those guilty of any crime are justifiable targets for immigration? (assuming they "look" illegal-ish)

Insufficiently sympathetic? If you were part of a group at risk of being randomly jailed indefinitely and stripped of rights over possible errors or mood swings of low level government employees I think you'd be pretty damn irritated by that description. I might add that Bush and the Republican controlled congress did no worse and Bush tried harder than Obama to pass comprehensive immigration reform.

How can you advocate for Obama's defeat given what the GOP is doing on the state level with immigration. In Arizona, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Utah -- all have passed extremely tough immigration bills that only exacerbate the issue you are concerned most about. The current Republican party is not the same party it was back in 2004. Immigration is a lightning rod issue for the GOP base, and you effectively end your chances at any immigration reform with them in power. The only way you see any comprehensive immigration reform passed is with Democrats in power -- and no, the power they had over the last couple of years was not enough since you always have a handful of Democrats in conservative states who will vote against immigration reform. Still, the more Democrats you have, the better the chances you have of reform.

Obama supports comprehensive immigration reform, but it's absurd to think he was going to put his effort into that while the economy is in a huge recession.

And I think your intended message would have the opposite effect. Defeating Obama would make more moderate/conservative Democrats think the party is too liberal on immigration policy, and it would shift the political spectrum right. It happens every time. When a political party loses power, the conventional wisdom is almost never that it was because the party in power was too centrist. It's always because the party was too liberal or too conservative, and a shift to the center was needed. That may not always be right, but it is always spun that way.

I'm also not sure if you are aware of this or even if it at least somewhat addresses your concerns, but the Obama administration is adjusting their methods for dealing with immigration:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/18/us/18immig.html

Guest Spearfeather
There's a lot of truth to this, on the illegal immigration front. Republicans talk a big game, but they're afraid of hurting businesses that use illegals, so they don't ever seem to actually get around to getting anything done.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?347762-Supreme-Court-backs-Arizona-immigration-law-that-punishes-businesses&p=8318489#post8318489

Unfortunately, worksite enforcement has plummeted under the Obama Administration. Administrative arrests have fallen 77% from 2008 to 2010. Criminal arrests have fallen 60%. Criminal indictments have fallen 57% and criminal convictions have fallen 66%.

With millions of Americans unemployed, it is hard to imagine a worse time to cut worksite enforcement efforts by more than half.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?347762-Supreme-Court-backs-Arizona-immigration-law-that-punishes-businesses&p=8318489#post8318489

Unfortunately, worksite enforcement has plummeted under the Obama Administration. Administrative arrests have fallen 77% from 2008 to 2010. Criminal arrests have fallen 60%. Criminal indictments have fallen 57% and criminal convictions have fallen 66%.

With millions of Americans unemployed, it is hard to imagine a worse time to cut worksite enforcement efforts by more than half.

So what has increased? If deportations are sky rocketing and Republican Lamar Smith is saying all of these enforcement programs have been massively scaled back... someones math is really wrong.

How can you advocate for Obama's defeat given what the GOP is doing on the state level with immigration. In Arizona, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Utah -- all have passed extremely tough immigration bills that only exacerbate the issue you are concerned most about. The current Republican party is not the same party it was back in 2004. Immigration is a lightning rod issue for the GOP base, and you effectively end your chances at any immigration reform with them in power. The only way you see any comprehensive immigration reform passed is with Democrats in power -- and no, the power they had over the last couple of years was not enough since you always have a handful of Democrats in conservative states who will vote against immigration reform. Still, the more Democrats you have, the better the chances you have of reform.

Obama supports comprehensive immigration reform, but it's absurd to think he was going to put his effort into that while the economy is in a huge recession.

And I think your intended message would have the opposite effect. Defeating Obama would make more moderate/conservative Democrats think the party is too liberal on immigration policy, and it would shift the political spectrum right. It happens every time. When a political party loses power, the conventional wisdom is almost never that it was because the party in power was too centrist. It's always because the party was too liberal or too conservative, and a shift to the center was needed. That may not always be right, but it is always spun that way.

I'm also not sure if you are aware of this or even if it at least somewhat addresses your concerns, but the Obama administration is adjusting their methods for dealing with immigration:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/18/us/18immig.html

I couldnt have put it better, at least he doesnt support those making those state laws the basis of federal law on immigration -- like many conservatives/republicans do.

Supporting the defeat of Obama at the hands of Republicans is the defintion of cutting off your nose to spite your face. It is an emotional response, not a logical one. I think liberals may want to stop and reflect on how things were for them during the Bush years, before they make the catastrophic mistake of withdrawing their suppport for Obama altogether. Grow up, voting is often an excercise of choosing the lesser of two evils.

It's easy to blame states responses to illegal immigration when you don't face the same problems NoVaO

How about the feds paying the costs of their policies Koala?

Des ya might look at what they report as deported,major difference between simply being ordered to leave and actually being put out,or even kept out.

What is the record for the same individual being 'deported'? ....if you are ordered to leave and do not,are you really deported?

add

time waster

google deported >inset #< times starting at 1 and see how far ya get....I got bored at 15

The progressive movement silence on this issue is beyond frustrating ( frankly they are silent on a lot of issues). Obama is causing a lot of harm to the progressive movement, sadly too many of supporters are so obsessed with hating republicans that rarely challenge Obama on anything.

The progressive movement silence on this issue is beyond frustrating ( frankly they are silent on a lot of issues). Obama is causing a lot of harm to the progressive movement, sadly too many of supporters are so obsessed with hating republicans that rarely challenge Obama on anything.

I'm not sure about that, he's taking all kinds of heat on the left wing sirius stations and MSNBC. Not that that represents all that many people but if it's written or telecast proof that's needed that's what you'll find. I'm not that far left and I'm not that happy with him these days. The recent urging of the US Attorneys to go after medical dispensaries falls right in line with his hard tack on immigration. The small bit of the left wing political grapevine that I'm aware of is pretty angry. We see a fair amount of it in this thread.

I will say it seems to demonstrate to me that Obama could never do anything that the right will appreciate no matter what it is. If that's not simply going against a dem no matter what, on principal, then it would have to be something even more insidious.

Just like the Republicans excitedly spending money when they had congress and the White House. Credibility in both parties is shot.

The debt crisis can be seen as a microcosm of the problem with the two political parties in 2011. They can't solve anything.

If they both attacked the illegal immigration problem (and the immigration problem at large) they would spend an endless amount of time in a "cover my own ass" circle jerk.

Grow some effin balls and start solving problems. It really is not as hard as the two parties seems to make it out to be.

Supporting the defeat of Obama at the hands of Republicans is the defintion of cutting off your nose to spite your face. It is an emotional response, not a logical one. I think liberals may want to stop and reflect on how things were for them during the Bush years, before they make the catastrophic mistake of withdrawing their suppport for Obama altogether. Grow up, voting is often an excercise of choosing the lesser of two evils.

Grow up?

At least 10 million Latinos voted, surmises Janet Murguia, president of the National Council of La Raza. NCLR was part of the coalition effort by Hispanic organizations to boost voter registrations by more than a million. Preliminary figures show Latino voters made up nine percent of the total national electorate, or just over 10 million.

The oft-mentioned swing state scenario — involving Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Florida, all with sizeable Hispanic population — proved true. The policy analysis group NDN reported the day after the election that Obama’s victory margins in those four states were attributable to the Latino vote.

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/node/11868

bplie-aafki48t-exb1ecq.gif

Liberals won't need to wonder how bad things were under Bush for too long... they'll have a new GOP President to keep them busy if they keep assuming HIspanics are a done deal for them.

Archived