Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

dallascowboys.com: Looking ahead to Redskins games

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=BECA64BF-E345-3B78-D7D0F87A86624401

Game 3 write up:

Storylines:

NFC East play begins - A day before the Cowboys and Redskins square off, Philadelphia will host the New York Giants in the first week of matchups among divisional foes. In most years, the team that does the best against its divisional opponents is the one that wins the NFC East, so it'll be important for everyone involved to get off to a good start....

State of the rivalry - Cowboys-Redskins has been among the preeminent feuds in all of sports in the past, but the hatred seems to have faded and each team's slip from regular championship contention has taken away the spotlight even though they've played many close games of late. It might only take one particularly hard-fought contest to turn the rivalry tide, however.

Home Opener - In the midst of a losing season, the Cowboys saw a drop in game attendance last season. While the cross-town Mavericks and Rangers have thrived, the NFL has been mired in its longest work stoppage ever this year. How will local fans react when the game returns to town - both in the form of their attendance and willingness to vocally support the home team at critical junctures of play?

Match-Up Worth Watching:

Blocking Brian Orakpo - In the Week 1 meeting between these teams last year, Orakpo's dominance of fill-in right tackle Alex Barron had a great deal to do with the outcome. Whether or not rookie Tyron Smith, the Cowboys assumed right-side starter, will fair any better could provide a look into the future of this twice-annual series.

One To Remember:

The Cowboys and Redskins have split their 14-game series on Monday Night Football 7-7, and many of the games have featured two very good teams. However, both clubs had hit rock bottom when they met at Texas Stadium in Week 5 of the 2001 season. Each came in at 0-4, with the Cowboys in rebuilding mode following the retirement of Troy Aikman. Two inept offenses struggled to put up points all night, yet Washington was driving in Cowboys territory and preparing to salt the game away when running back Stephen Davis fumbled with 2:47 left to play. Greg Ellis pounced on the ball, and the Cowboys put together a 59-yard drive that began with completions from Anthony Wright to Darren Chiaverini and Rocket Ismail and ended with four runs by Emmitt Smith and another by Troy Hambrick, setting up Tim Seder for a 26-yard field goal that sailed through the uprights as time expired, giving the Cowboys a 9-7 victory.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=1BC0BCC6-D158-273B-0F394AB4FC9D8E07

Game 10 write up:

Storylines:

Shanahan's stamp. The 2010 season was a forgettable start to the Mike Shanahan era. Can he restore order to the Redskins' storied but struggling franchise? We'll have a better idea by the time these fierce division rivals meet for the second time in 2011. Both teams finished 6-10 last season. One thing seems certain: quarterback Donovan McNabb won't be wearing maroon.

•Beware the bizarre. Odd things seem to happen on the road against the Redskins. Last year, turnovers and a last-second holding penalty cost the Cowboys, 13-7. In 2006, a blocked game-winning field goal attempt and subsequent facemask penalty set up the Redskins' own winning field goal as time expired. The Cowboys have to stay fundamentally sound, because history shows they can lose to Washington in the weirdest ways.

Match-Up Worth Watching:

Defending the tight ends. The Cowboys' Jason Witten and the Redskins' Chris Cooley present matchup problems for both sets of linebackers and safeties. In last December's home win over Washington, Witten had 10 catches for 140 yards and one touchdown and became the fastest tight end ever to 600 career catches. Cooley had 11 catches for 142 yards and one touchdown in two meetings last year. Both are excellent pass-catching tight ends; too fast for most linebackers, too big for most safeties.

I don't know why everyone says this rivalries "hatred seems to have faded", probably because the writers never care which team wins. I think most fans, however, hate those ******* as much as they hated those ******* last year, or the year before or when those ******* were good in the 90s, or when those ******* were our doormat in the 80s.

I can't wait until we beat them the first game they play against each other this season, and every sports writer ***** their pants and acts like it's a total shock.

Game 10 write up:

Storylines:

•Shanahan's stamp. The 2010 season was a forgettable start to the Mike Shanahan era. Can he restore order to the Redskins' storied but struggling franchise? We'll have a better idea by the time these fierce division rivals meet for the second time in 2011. Both teams finished 6-10 last season. One thing seems certain: quarterback Donovan McNabb won't be wearing maroon.

I see they asked Jim Zorn to write this article...

I think the rivalry exists -- especially from Washington's perspective. But I'm wondering if the Cowboy's aren't placing more of their focus against beating the Eagles and Giants -- two teams who have been at the top of the NFC-East standings in recent years.

Sure, the Cowboy's don't want to lose to the Skins, but they really want to pin an 'L' on the NFC East favorites, to better their odds in tiebreakers.

Here's hoping we change that mind-set, and getting them really worried about the Skins again.

I think the rivalry exists -- especially from Washington's perspective. But I'm wondering if the Cowboy's aren't placing more of their focus against beating the Eagles and Giants -- two teams who have been at the top of the NFC-East standings in recent years.

Sure, the Cowboy's don't want to lose to the Skins, but they really want to pin an 'L' on the NFC East favorites, to better their odds in tiebreakers.

Here's hoping we change that mind-set, and getting them really worried about the Skins again.

That's why the "we want Dallas" chants and the radio personalities telling every Redskins draft pick to hate the cowboys makes us seem like we have nothing left to cling to anymore. And maybe it's true.

Do Cowboys fans chant "We want Washington" (OK, maybe not EXACTLY that, but you see my point) at their draft day parties? Not to my knowledge and it's because they have bigger fish to fry. We'll always hate Dallas but maybe we should be chanting a little bit more about NY, Philly, and the rest of the NFC for awhile.

That's why the "we want Dallas" chants and the radio personalities telling every Redskins draft pick to hate the cowboys makes us seem like we have nothing left to cling to anymore. And maybe it's true.

Do Cowboys fans chant "We want Washington" (OK, maybe not EXACTLY that, but you see my point) at their draft day parties? Not to my knowledge and it's because they have bigger fish to fry. We'll always hate Dallas but maybe we should be chanting a little bit more about NY, Philly, and the rest of the NFC for awhile.

No, the reason we chant "We want Dallas!" and the Cowboys don't chant something similar is because of this:

spIuA1GgfDE

That chant is part of our franchise history, especially since it preceded our first Super Bowl victory. Chanting that is almost as much a part of being a fan as singing "Hail To The Redskins", even if you only sing it in your head lol...

The rivalry does still exist, and it is not one-sided. Well at least not in the Washington Metropolitan area. There are too many Cowboy fans around here and they make sure everybody knows it. They have the star on their car, flags flying out the window, hats, jackets, etc. But don't let them catch you with some Redskin gear on, they will talk trash forever. :doh: I don't know how they are in Dallas, but here in D.C. they are the most annoying people in the world. I hope we sweep them this year. If we do go 2-14, I hope both wins are against them.

No, the reason we chant "We want Dallas!" and the Cowboys don't chant something similar is because of this:

That chant is part of our franchise history, especially since it preceded our first Super Bowl victory. Chanting that is almost as much a part of being a fan as singing "Hail To The Redskins", even if you only sing it in your head lol...

That video still gives me chills. Even before the game was played, I had one of those "can't lose" feelings.

spIuA1GgfDE

Those bouncing bleachers so close to the playing field at RFK were legendary. Been a while since i've seen those. Thanks.

So it's safe to say your not a big fan of our 'friends' from down South then huh jflow?

Hail.

That would be a "yes". ;)

The funny thing is, I hate everything about Dallas. With Philly, I just hate their fans, I actually don't hate Andy Reid or their players, just their fans. I don't like the Giants, but I can't say I really hate them.

Anyone that thinks the rivalry has died down due to poor W/L records does not understand the rivalry at all.

Like others have said, it doesn't matter if the teams are struggling. **** Dallas at 1-15, just as at 15-1. It does not factor in, I wish the Cowboys nothing but misery. If the Cowboys "fans" don't feel the same way about the Skins, then they don't understand the rivalry either....

Same, to a lesser extent for the Eagles.

HTTR

Don't we play the Giants on opening weekend Sept 11th? What is this donk talking about?

He's viewing it from the Cowboys' perspective and this is their first NFC East game.

As for the hatred it has died down a little for the casual fans because neither team has been relevant in so long. For the die hards it doesn't matter how good the teams are though. Whenever I hear a Cowboy fan say that they don't view the Skins as a rival I remove them from the real fan bucket. Unfortunately I've gotten more opportunities for joy at the Cowboys expense recently than I have with the Redskins' successes.

First NFL game I ever watched was the Skins vs Dallass. The Skins beat the stars off their damn helmets and I have been a fan ever since. As far as rivalries and hated teams go, I will forever hate the Girls with a passion. Only two words apply to this: **** Dallass! :dallasuck

Even as a new fan, I hate Dallas. I hate their smug fans, I hate how they brag when they win...but more over, I hate how quiet they get when they lose.

At least when we lose, we all get pissed off and upset and demand more and we take to Facebook and Twitter and vent our frustrations. Seems like whenever Dallas loses or they don't play well, Cowboys fans just...don't talk. Don't say anything. Pretend like they have other interest. Don't complain, don't get upset. Especially around here, they all just seem to disappear and pretend they were never fans until they win again.

I think that's what bugs me about Dallas the most. The constant "EVERY YEAR IS THE COWBOYS YEAR TO WIN THE SUPER BOWL!" crap every media outlet suggests every season, and the amount of dispassionate, fairweather fans they have who walk around with smug faces when they win but then act like they have no clue who the Dallas Cowboys are when they lose.

The Cowboys are a gateway football team; they're the team you like when you first start watching football, and then ween yourself off when you realize for the better part of the decade they've been overrated.

Even as a new fan, I hate Dallas. I hate their smug fans, I hate how they brag when they win...but more over, I hate how quiet they get when they lose.

At least when we lose, we all get pissed off and upset and demand more and we take to Facebook and Twitter and vent our frustrations. Seems like whenever Dallas loses or they don't play well, Cowboys fans just...don't talk. Don't say anything. Pretend like they have other interest. Don't complain, don't get upset. Especially around here, they all just seem to disappear and pretend they were never fans until they win again.

I think that's what bugs me about Dallas the most. The constant "EVERY YEAR IS THE COWBOYS YEAR TO WIN THE SUPER BOWL!" crap every media outlet suggests every season, and the amount of dispassionate, fairweather fans they have who walk around with smug faces when they win but then act like they have no clue who the Dallas Cowboys are when they lose.

The Cowboys are a gateway football team; they're the team you like when you first start watching football, and then ween yourself off when you realize for the better part of the decade they've been overrated.

Overrated?! What?!? They're the Cowboys, don't you realize they are going to the Super Bowl every year? :silly: You make great points. I have a couple of friends that are Dallass fans, but I can say they are certainly alot more realistic than predominantly most of the Dallass crowd.

I will always loathe the Cowboys. If I ever start to feel otherwise, all I have to do is turn on the TV and catch some of their overhyped, overcovered team. If I cannot find that, a picture of Tony Romo sits to pee off the web will suffice.

That being posted, I get along a lot better with Cowboy Fan than Eagle Fan, so I am really starting to hate the Eagles at about the same level. I know there was another offseason thread about this so not trying to start the discussion again, just my 2 cents.

Being born and raised in Texas, I hear Cowboy this, Cowboy that, day after day, during football season.

Every time they lose, its always "the refs are cheating, they're not calling fouls on the other teams, {my personal favorite}> we let chall win. WTF is "chall", I asked? He said chall, you all; I said, oh, ok.

Every year its Cowboys all the way this year, and wearing their gear and talking smack; so when they lost the opener last season, I heard we let chall win cuz we felt sorry for ya and chall ain't goin' nowhere anyway.

The ONLY thing close to being as good as a Skins win is a Cowboy loss; and to go to work the next day with not a Puke fan to be seen, its...its....beautiful...

Archived