Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins say they were unable to sell season tickets for seats removed from FedEx Field

SkinsHokieFan

As a former season ticket holder I can say that for me, watching games at home is far better than being at the stadium. Especially considering the prices. The only exception was the playoff game against Detroit. That was a great atmosphere and loads of fun. So given our lack of success this past decade, it's no surprise that people are simply not interested in spending loads of money on tickets, parking and concessions only to be treated to a horror traffic situation, stale and corporate in stadium experience and a lousy on field product.

Yeah but that is you. And it depends on your seats.

I can assure you that watching Dallas lose in my home trumps watching them lose from row 28 of the nosebleeds.

I guess it is me, I could careless if I'm row 29 of the UL or Row 1 of the LL, just love hearing that place get loud, sway, everything. Not saying I wouldn't get hyped at home, but I definitely love Fedex when it's a good game. Can only imagine how it'll be if the team get back to consistently winning.

To each their own though.

What you quoted said club level party decks, which they did build last year. There is nothing in what you quoted that said they are going to build party decks on the upper deck. So, I don't see the inconsistency here.

Jason, when the team finally had to come out and address the removed seats (about a month and a half after people who attended the DDP saw this was occurring), the team announced that it was building party decks, and Matt Terl has provided regular pictoral updates in the month since on the team blog about the seat removal. Now, a month late, some team schmow is saying "we're not sure." I don't blame people for having a "WTF" reaction.

And some of the homers wonder why fans are reluctant to believe a damn thing that comes out of this organization's mouth. And while its true that the removal of seats will have the effect of easing congestion on the upper level, for this doofus to then say "this has nothing to do with ticket sales".......after pretty much admitting that "we couldn't sell these seats".......is just mealy-mouthed.

Certainly Chipwhich is correct about those seats being way less desirable with the home HD experience, etc. It would be also interesting to see how many people who might have sat up there instead moved to the cave when the seats under the overhang in the 200 level were added.

Maybe they are adding massive bathrooms on these sections just in case you want to take a piss during halftime so you don't miss any of the game. I almost rushed out to beat the crowd to the pissers .20 seconds before DHall took it to the house against the Cowboys. Luckily, something told me. meh just wait mid 3rd qtr.

Why can't this organization ever get their story straight? I think it was one of their better articles and was completely fair and balanced. And I've been accused of being a shill for Snyder.... :)

Remember my comment from the other day about hoping we can be more like the Packers or the Steelers? I guess it didn't take long for my hopes to be shot.:doh1:

The renderings for the new Heinz Field and the Lambeau renovations were online long before the cranes rolled in. Fans were encouraged to watch the construction progress on webcams from the team sites once ground had been broken. We're talking ten effing years ago, pre 9/11 for God's sake.

The cranes have now come and gone from Raljon and this team can't even get an effing blue print out to the public, let alone a non conflicting mission statement about WTH it is that they're doing. I truly believe they don't know themselves.

Rant not directed at you S&S, I'm just venting.

With HD TV and coverage, season ticket holders will never return to what they once were.

This isn't about fans leaving, it's about technology.

Watching an NFL game live will never be like it was in the 80's. There will never be a time when sitting in row 28 of the 400 level in FedEx trumps watching a game at home. Sorry.

Can't agree with that. At all.

NOTHING beats the thrill of a live sporting event. Even more so if you have a vested interest. Everything might look better sat on your couch in HD, but your not getting a 10th of the ambience of actually being there on the day.

This isn't personal to you chip, but if anyone thins watching a game on the TV beats actually being there in person, no matter what gripes we may have about 'the game day experience' (hate that, like your a customer or some **** that can just change brands if the 'experience' isn't to your liking); then you truly aren't as committed a fan as those that actually do attend to help their team in person.

Hail.

NOTHING beats the thrill of a live sporting event. Even more so if you have a vested interest. Everything might look better sat on your couch in HD, but your not getting a 10th of the ambience of actually being there on the day.

But you're a hard core fan. Most of the fanbase is not like you or I.

Chip's point is that technology is eroding ticket demand across all sports. The erosion has been accelerated here by a lousy product on the field and in the stands.

There are many factors across the board that have been gradually keeping fans away from NFL stadiums, not just FedEx.

The down economy, PSLs, HD TV, fantasy football, RedZone channel, cell phones, security lines; these are just some of the factors an NFL game ticket wasn't competing against 20 years ago.

Remember my comment from the other day about hoping we can be more like Packers or Steelers? I guess it didn't take long for my hopes to be shot.:doh1:

The renderings for the new Heinz field and the Lambeau renovations were online long before the cranes rolled in. Fans were encouraged to watch the construction progress on webcams from the team sites once ground had been broken. We're talking ten effing years ago, pre 9/11 for God's sake.

Yup.

As I said in the other thread, only the Redskins could **** this up so bad. It really is impressive and soooooooooo expected.

HAVE A ****ING PLAN.

Get on message. Be consistent. Execute. It is not that hard. Why is everything sways a cluster****?

Hyping up a huge announcement for weeks only made this worse. :ols: Ohhhhhh the Redskins.

Another concern is whether or not Mark Kessler can still tell the crowd to be excited about the fact FedEx Field is the NFL's largest stadium.

For those who don't know, over the past several years the PA announcer has reminded the fans before each home game that our house is the biggest and we should be proud of that. Litterly in his first or second sentence as he introduces himself for the day and welcomes you to the game in his cheese ball hyper voice.

In any case, many thought the stadium was too large. There certainly isn't enough parking for the stadium at that size. In the end, maybe the removal of the seats will help improve the fan experience. Maybe that was part of the thought process of the club. That, and maybe less seats would make them more desirable.

Regardless of the why...this statement is the outcome I hope for.

What you quoted said club level party decks, which they did build last year. There is nothing in what you quoted that said they are going to build party decks on the upper deck. So, I don't see the inconsistency here.

As for the seats, when you look at the sum total of everything that's happened last year (one of the worst seasons in Snyder's reign, a bad economy, a lockout), is it really a shock that they felt that they couldn't sell out the place?

In any case, many thought the stadium was too large. There certainly isn't enough parking for the stadium at that size. In the end, maybe the removal of the seats will help improve the fan experience. Maybe that was part of the thought process of the club. That, and maybe less seats would make them more desirable.

Longshot, where have you been? Larry Michael, Matt Terl, Dave Donovan and Tony Wyllie have publicly stated since the UL seats were removed in voice and writing that new party decks were being built where the seats have been removed. Watch old reruns of Redskins Nation on Redskins.com and Matt Terl's Redskins blog. They have discussed and admitted to their construction multiple times.

Nothing that I quoted has anything to do with last year's club level party deck renovations. We are talking about the upper level end zones where all the seats and concrete has been removed.

improving gameday experiences take time. Installing a new video screen is great, but its loaded with ads at every break in play with Larry Michael trying to sell me something....then it loses its impact quickly. Its about doing those things that improve the experience and then don't act like you did something that was above and beyond. As far as selling seats or putting in party decks, or whatever. If you're doing to do it...do it. Don't take a victory lap, and make it affordable and easy.

Also, might want to train up the FedEx field staff on being a bit more respectful. Go over to Nats Park and see how its done. Parking staff too. Not speaking English is unacceptable for any of them.

Next Stadium needs to be about 30K seats smaller. Build something downtown and matches the Washington, D.C. building look. Almost Roman looking.

Yeah but that is you. And it depends on your seats.

I can assure you that watching Dallas lose in my home trumps watching them lose from row 28 of the nosebleeds.

Well, your seats in front of your HDTV does not trump my row 14 seats in the lower level. There is no comparison to any seat in the lower or club level, period. Even the lower part of the Upper Deck still trumps watching at home on HDTV. Sure, if you are still in nosebleeds after several years...I'd agree with you. But most, if not virtually all fans move down out of the nosebleeds after a few years if they want to.

---------- Post added July-15th-2011 at 08:57 AM ----------

Remember my comment from the other day about hoping we can be more like the Packers or the Steelers? I guess it didn't take long for my hopes to be shot.:doh1:

The renderings for the new Heinz Field and the Lambeau renovations were online long before the cranes rolled in. Fans were encouraged to watch the construction progress on webcams from the team sites once ground had been broken. We're talking ten effing years ago, pre 9/11 for God's sake.

The cranes have now come and gone from Raljon and this team can't even get an effing blue print out to the public, let alone a non conflicting mission statement about WTH it is that they're doing. I truly believe they don't know themselves.

Rant not directed at you S&S, I'm just venting.

I took nothing you said to be targetted at me. And I agree with every word you said.

With HD TV and coverage, season ticket holders will never return to what they once were.

This isn't about fans leaving, it's about technology.

Watching an NFL game live will never be like it was in the 80's. There will never be a time when sitting in row 28 of the 400 level in FedEx trumps watching a game at home. Sorry.

Fantastic post. The NFL is built for TV...even down to the ability to easily flip between two games in the 30 or so seconds between plays. To me, the biggest factor is I still have this NFL Sunday mentality where I enjoy some pre-game shows, both time slots, and highlights. When you commute 90 minutes to the game, sit at the stadium for 4 hours to watch the Skins, and then get right back in traffic to get home...it eats up your entire Sunday.

I have enjoyed games before (being at the December, 2005 Cowboys game is my favorite game-day memory ever), but as a general rule I'll take the comfort of my own home, perfect sightlines and HD, and the convenience of not being away from the family for 12 hours.

Longshot, where have you been? Larry Michael, Matt Terl, Dave Donovan and Tony Wyllie have publicly stated since the UL seats were removed in voice and writing that new party decks were being built where the seats have been removed. Watch old reruns of Redskins Nation on Redskins.com and Matt Terl's Redskins blog. They have discussed and admitted to their construction multiple times.

Nothing that I quoted has anything to do with last year's club level party deck renovations. We are talking about the upper level end zones where all the seats and concrete has been removed.

Where have I been? Doing other things with my life because there was no point hanging out here while there was no football.

I was only responding to the quote, which really didn't say anything about a party deck in the upper level.

See...the more I care about a game, the less likely I am to want to go. I'm weird when I watch the Redskins. I pace, I talk to the TV, I mutter about what they need to do on 3rd down and have full conversations with myself...

Some of the bigger games I've been to (at least the ones that didn't turn into a laugher right away like the Dallas game I mentioned in my previous post), have been miserable. I have to hear dumb fans yell dumb things. I have to hear dumb fans boo for dumb reasons. I think I've had more fun going to the two VT games at FedEx Field because I really didn't care who won (and they were awesome matchups).

If the Redskins are playing in week 17 with something on the line, I don't want anyone around me...let alone 85K people.

improving gameday experiences take time. Installing a new video screen is great, but its loaded with ads at every break in play with Larry Michael trying to sell me something....then it loses its impact quickly. Its about doing those things that improve the experience and then don't act like you did something that was above and beyond. As far as selling seats or putting in party decks, or whatever. If you're doing to do it...do it. Don't take a victory lap, and make it affordable and easy.

Also, might want to train up the FedEx field staff on being a bit more respectful. Go over to Nats Park and see how its done. Parking staff too. Not speaking English is unacceptable for any of them.

Next Stadium needs to be about 30K seats smaller. Build something downtown and matches the Washington, D.C. building look. Almost Roman looking.

Now you are piling on without being fair. The new HDTV screens do not have an overwhelming number of ads. First, there are far fewer ads than there were on the old mini-tron......far fewer. And second almost every ad shown last year on the HDTV featured football or Redskins highlights (current and historical) with a tagline under the video or at the end saying something like "Brought to you by xxxxxx". There was almost no blatant TV type commercials show on the HDTV screens. I think they were very well done considering that you have to do commercials to support the costs involved. EVERY stadium and professional sporting team has commercials all over their stadiums and arenas including commercials on their video screens. You cannot accuse the Skins of going overboard on that last year. Maybe it will change in the future; but last year they did a great job.

As for the staff, there was a huge improvement last year, particularly in the stadium. Greeters, security, vendors, the stadium store staff were all much more friendly, outgoing and helpful than past years. I could give you multiple examples but it has nothing to do with this thread. Admittedly, the parking staff was hit of miss. I had some that were great and others, as you say, were pretty useless and did not know what was going on and could not speak English. But I think they were still better than previous years....parking attendants still need some work.

Could not disagree more with what you posted.

See...the more I care about a game, the less likely I am to want to go. I'm weird when I watch the Redskins. I pace, I talk to the TV, I mutter about what they need to do on 3rd down and have full conversations with myself...

Some of the bigger games I've been to (at least the ones that didn't turn into a laugher right away like the Dallas game I mentioned in my previous post), have been miserable. I have to hear dumb fans yell dumb things. I have to hear dumb fans boo for dumb reasons. I think I've had more fun going to the two VT games at FedEx Field because I really didn't care who won (and they were awesome matchups).

If the Redskins are playing in week 17 with something on the line, I don't want anyone around me...let alone 85K people.

I 100% agree. I used to go to 2-3 Skins games a year (and one of them was always the Cowboy game), and since I stopped going, I much prefer watching at home. I've been to my fair share of sporting events in DC and other cities around the country, including playoff games and such, and just in general, the live sporting experience is overrated, IMO.

Maybe they are adding massive bathrooms on these sections just in case you want to take a piss during halftime so you don't miss any of the game. I almost rushed out to beat the crowd to the pissers .20 seconds before DHall took it to the house against the Cowboys. Luckily, something told me. meh just wait mid 3rd qtr.

How about party deck bathrooms! Run a line of urinals along the railing so you can stand and go while facing the field. You never have to take your eyes off the game. Just build a 3 foot privacy wall around it, and for privacy from above install those shade awnings left over from the Jim Zorn era.

Archived