Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins say they were unable to sell season tickets for seats removed from FedEx Field

SkinsHokieFan

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-say-they-were-unable-to-sell-season-tickets-for-seats-removed-from-fedex-field/2011/07/14/gIQA1vbwEI_story.html

Redskins say they were unable to sell season tickets for seats removed from FedEx Field

A top Washington Redskins official said the team had been unable to sell season tickets for the thousands of seats it removed from FedEx Field this summer, a rare admission by the franchise that demand for its in-stadium product has declined.

Lon Rosenberg, the vice president of operations at FedEx Field, said in a radio interview Wednesday that the approximately 10,000 removed upper deck seats had been offered to fans on the team’s season ticket waiting list, and that “these are seats that they were not wanting to buy.”

Click link for rest

I'm hoping that's sarcasm, but if it's not: They couldn't sell tickets for those seats, so they removed them under the impression that the party decks would pay off in a few other ways.

My confusion is, are there party decks or not?

It’s about making a more fan-friendly experience on game days,” he said. “There will be less traffic, shorter lines and and again, enable us to better serve our fans.”

Rosenberg estimated that the capacity of FedEx Field for the 2011 season will be around 82,000 — down from 91,704, which had made it the second-largest capacity in the NFL.

AND

But Rosenberg said the team hasn’t decided what, if anything, will replace the end zone seats, explaining that the impetus behind the project was to ease traffic congestion and lines at concession stands and bathrooms at the stadium in Landover.

“I’m saying what we removed from the stadium is to give people a little more room,” he told ESPN 980, a station owned by Redskins owner Daniel Snyder.

So as many of us have suspected, FedEx and the Redskins are a terrible sale right now (see the secondary market for tickets) and B) the team isn't doing as well financially

My confusion is, are there party decks or not?

Judging from Rosenberg's answers yesterday and today, I think the answer is "they don't know yet."

I'm thinking the eight rows of concrete remaining above the end zone seats could potentially be made into 3-4 rows of SRO (like they did in the club level) while they decide what they want to do.

So as many of us have suspected, FedEx and the Redskins are a terrible sale right now (see the secondary market for tickets) and B) the team isn't doing as well financially

I guess that would depend on how you define as not doing well financially:

Forbes also says that all 32 NFL teams are in the top 50, and all four NFC East teams are in the top 11. The Redskins rank fourth at $1.55 billion and, according to the magazine, "have been the NFL's most profitable team over the past decade with an average operating income of $76 million." The Giants rank eighth at $1.18 billion. And the Eagles came in 11th (this is among all sports teams in the world, mind you, not just NFL teams) at $1.12 billion.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/28293/dont-cry-for-jerry-jones

So much for the massive waiting list.

Hail.

The current wait list, large or small, would remain the same if nobody wanted to buy those particular seats.

I'm a little surprised, however, that some on the list tell of not even being offered the chance to buy before they took out the seats.

The current wait list, large or small, would remain the same if nobody wanted to buy those particular seats.

I'm a little surprised, however, that some on the list tell of not even being offered the chance to buy before they took out the seats.

Well you can't offer 10K seats to 200K people. You offer 10K to 10K people, wait. Figure out who ends up not choosing, then next 10K, wait. Then next 10K wait. Then next 10K wait.

It's not like it can happen overnight.

Meanwhile those 10K you are offering and waiting on, other season ticket holders are opting out. So the 10K becomes > 10K.

It's a long slow process.

Why can't this organization ever get their story straight? We go through this multiple times every year with both the football side of the organization and the non-football side of the organization. How could their guy now come out and say they don't have plans for party decks when their head PR guy says they are and the building permit filed with the PG County LAST SEPTEMBER says they planned to build party decks?

Redskins spokesman Tony Wyllie said in a telephone interview Thursday that the team still wanted to install the decks but had not made a final decision and needed to apply for permits for that phase of the renovation project.

Samuel Wynkoop, the director of the Prince George’s County Department of Environmental Resources, said Thursday no changes have been made to the construction permit issued by the county last September. That permit was for construction of a “club-level concrete platform structure” and removal of seats from the upper deck.

How hard is it for a small group of managers to get their story straight?

Same with the story that they offered tickets to their waiting list and there were no takers for the end zone seats. My wife has been on the wait list about five years and we never heard from the Redskins that she was eligible for such seats.....not that I would have accepted them....but we were never offered seats anywhere, let alone the end zone UL.

And about a month ago either Donovan or Wyllie said they did not offer season tickets to people on the wait list because they were installing the party decks. So which is it? They never offered the tickets or everyone kept turning them down?

These guys take one step forward and then two steps backward. Why is my team always a ****ing soap opera?

---------- Post added July-15th-2011 at 12:41 AM ----------

Snyder apologists will spin this as the ole Washington Post and their darn agenda against this team.

I think it was one of their better articles and was completely fair and balanced. Maybe Fox wrote the story instead. And I've been accused of being a shill for Snyder.... :)

These guys take one step forward and then two steps backward. Why is my team always a ****ing soap opera?

Because marketing Redskins Season Ticket Holder Elitism sells.

Saying we can't sell tickets doesn't. It's not that difficult of a concept. This is what I was telling you all along :) I know you hate the way I send the message, but just speaking truthfully.

The RFK STH elitism mantra still exists with many Redskins fans, although I had no trouble getting tickets in the final years at RFK :)

I have always said Snyder screwed the pooch on the season ticket holder allure. While he is successful in revenue generation, he never fully realized what he could have realized even today. He lost something he will never recover (unless we get a newer smaller stadium), the Season Ticket Holder Elitist mentality.

Because marketing Redskins Season Ticket Holder Elitism sells.

Saying we can't sell tickets doesn't. It's not that difficult of a concept. This is what I was telling you all along :) I know you hate the way I send the message, but just speaking truthfully.

The RFK STH elitism mantra still exists with many Redskins fans, although I had no trouble getting tickets in the final years at RFK :)

I have always said Snyder screwed the pooch on the season ticket holder allure. While he is successful in revenue generation, he never fully realized what he could have realized even today. He lost something he will never recover (unless we get a newer smaller stadium), the Season Ticket Holder Elitist mentality.

But it's not just season ticket sales and the wait list (myth or not). Lots of us have never been called or offered tickets even though our names are on the wait list. Or it's Shanahan ****ing with McNabb, or it's the shirt and banner BS, or the Haynesworth fiasco, or Cerrato BS, or blocking pedestrian traffic, or obstructed view seats, or some other controversy this team is mired in. It is just one thing after another. Why can't this organization be run professionally for a change?

But it's not just season ticket sales and the wait list (myth or not). Lots of us have never been called or offered tickets even though our names are on the wait list. Or it's Shanahan ****ing with McNabb, or it's the shirt and banner BS, or the Haynesworth fiasco, or Cerrato BS, or blocking pedestrian traffic, or obstructed view seats, or some other controversy this team is mired in. It is just one thing after another. Why can't this organization be run professionally for a change?

Because the emperor wears no clothes :)

You never want to admit failure. You want to tout success. At some point everyone sees the truth. You are naked. And you can't hide it any longer.

I think we all knew this, as the team falls, the fans disappear, when they return to playing Redskins football, the waitlist will be back. I'm just happy I was able to get mine a good 8 years early than I should have. It's unfortunate this has happened, but with the times and the play, it was bound to happen eventually.

However, I do like the decrease in fans, that way when people give up, there wont be nearly as many opposing fans. At the same time, we are moving back down to how many people Fedex was suppose to hold when it first opened.

I think we all knew this, as the team falls, the fans disappear, when they return to playing Redskins football, the waitlist will be back. I'm just happy I was able to get mine a good 8 years early than I should have. It's unfortunate this has happened, but with the times and the play, it was bound to happen eventually.

However, I do like the decrease in fans, that way when people give up, there wont be nearly as many opposing fans. At the same time, we are moving back down to how many people Fedex was suppose to hold when it first opened.

With HD TV and coverage, season ticket holders will never return to what they once were.

This isn't about fans leaving, it's about technology.

Watching an NFL game live will never be like it was in the 80's. There will never be a time when sitting in row 28 of the 400 level in FedEx trumps watching a game at home. Sorry.

Very true Chip, with TV and technology it has become hard to keep season tickets going. However I think the gameday expierence is still better (and I'm saying that with all the bad seasons we've had). I don't think you get the same feeling you do on the couch as you do in the stadium, but as said, when teams are losing, the economy is bad, there isn't much to compare to, save the $$$ and watch the game at home for free.

Hopefully teams can find a way to keep fans in the seats.

Why can't this organization ever get their story straight? We go through this multiple times every year with both the football side of the organization and the non-football side of the organization. How could their guy now come out and say they don't have plans for party decks when their head PR guy says they are and the building permit filed with the PG County LAST SEPTEMBER says they planned to build party decks?

How hard is it for a small group of managers to get their story straight?

What you quoted said club level party decks, which they did build last year. There is nothing in what you quoted that said they are going to build party decks on the upper deck. So, I don't see the inconsistency here.

As for the seats, when you look at the sum total of everything that's happened last year (one of the worst seasons in Snyder's reign, a bad economy, a lockout), is it really a shock that they felt that they couldn't sell out the place?

In any case, many thought the stadium was too large. There certainly isn't enough parking for the stadium at that size. In the end, maybe the removal of the seats will help improve the fan experience. Maybe that was part of the thought process of the club. That, and maybe less seats would make them more desirable.

Very true Chip, with TV and technology it has become hard to keep season tickets going. However I think the gameday expierence is still better (and I'm saying that with all the bad seasons we've had). I don't think you get the same feeling you do on the couch as you do in the stadium, but as said, when teams are losing, the economy is bad, there isn't much to compare to, save the $$$ and watch the game at home for free.

Hopefully teams can find a way to keep fans in the seats.

I am not anti FedEx, so I do agree the game day experience is better at FedEx than RFK with losing teams. It's no comparison.

Sitting in row 28 of the 400 level at FedEx with the new HD technology never trumps sitting at home on the couch. Tailgating yes. Watching the game. No comparison.

Well I wasn't talking compared to RFK, but just in general. I mean of course after a loss it sucks, but those wins, such as Dallas last year, I couldn't have felt the same way I did in my seats as I would have on the couch, just no way in hell.

Well I wasn't talking compared to RFK, but just in general. I mean of course after a loss it sucks, but those wins, such as Dallas last year, I couldn't have felt the same way I did in my seats as I would have on the couch, just no way in hell.

Yeah but that is you. And it depends on your seats.

I can assure you that watching Dallas lose in my home trumps watching them lose from row 28 of the nosebleeds.

Archived