Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins say they were unable to sell season tickets for seats removed from FedEx Field

SkinsHokieFan

Wow. I have to admit I'm shocked. I never would expect anyone associated with the team to go away from the party line of unlimited demand for season tickets.

Don't be surprised if Lon Rosenberg leaves soon for "personal reasons".

Well, your seats in front of your HDTV does not trump my row 14 seats in the lower level. There is no comparison to any seat in the lower or club level, period. Even the lower part of the Upper Deck still trumps watching at home on HDTV. Sure, if you are still in nosebleeds after several years...I'd agree with you. But most, if not virtually all fans move down out of the nosebleeds after a few years if they want to.

I totally agree. There is nothing like being at a game. Getting pumped up with the other fans while tailgating prior to the game and celebrating a victory afterward. I feel very detached from the play on the field when I'm watching an away game at home. My biggest gripe is that on TV you can only see what the camera is focusing on. The best part of attending a game is the walk down the ramp with thousands of Redskin fans after a game. <chills> Hopefully there will be more of that this year. :ols:

Hold on a sec. Couldn't sell them?!? I've been on the season ticket waiting list for about 6 years now and have never gotten a call.

I'm not complaing, however. I share season tix in section 135 row 6 and there's no way I'd sit that high anyway. Just curious.

Seems to me like the Redskins front office is a bit like the Space Shuttle...operating with 30 year technology. Remember that article about their famous "waiting list?" Apparently it's reems of loose leaf paper and printouts sitting in some huge tub somewhere. I too am on the waiting list - or at least I signed up for it. I have no desire to buy season tickets, I just wanted to see when I'd get the call. And I've never gotten one after 2 years.

This is a shocking admission, and it's actually nice to see a little honesty coming out of this place for a change - from Dan Jazeera no less!!!!

I totally agree. There is nothing like being at a game. Getting pumped up with the other fans while tailgating prior to the game and celebrating a victory afterward. I feel very detached from the play on the field when I'm watching an away game at home. My biggest gripe is that on TV you can only see what the camera is focusing on. The best part of attending a game is the walk down the ramp with thousands of Redskin fans after a game. <chills> Hopefully there will be more of that this year. :ols:

Excellent point. One of the best parts of attending live is I get to watch whatever and whoever I want. I am not forced to watch the sideline view of the line and backfield. I can choose to watch a specific blocker going one on one with his nemesis. I can watch a receiver trying to break away from his defender. I can watch linebackers jump around and try to outwit the offense on his sack attack, etc. It really is a huge advantage.

To each his own....there are benefits of watching on TV....easy access to the bathroom and food; protected from snow and rain and cold; it's a whole lot cheaper.. But it's just not the same, IMHO.

The F.O. can't even send a consistent message to the general public about something as simple as this. By the way I expect a retraction of this guy’s comments by the team before the end of the day Monday. I expect the façade of demand for season tickets will continue.

This organization has been epically mismanaged (on and off the field) under the Snyder regime. It's worse for me because I'm older and I know what it was previously. Truly, truly sad.

Interesting... the top three capacity stadiums in the NFL are all from the NFC East:

FedEx Field, Redskins (91,704 - pre- "party deck" capacity)

New Meadowlands Stadium, Giants (82,566)

Cowboys Stadium, Cowboys (80,000, expandable to 110,000)

(The Linc in Philly is listed as 17th, with 69,144)

The smallest listed stadium is Chicago's Soldier Field, home to the Bears, at 61,500.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_stadiums

Another surprise for me - Steeler fans, who travel so well, have a stadium way down the list of capcity - Heinz is listed at 26th largest.

"There have been large numbers of empty seats at FedEx Field during many home games in recent seasons. The Redskins finished last or tied for last in the NFC East four of the past five years and have not hosted a playoff game since 1999."

This Quote from the article sums the situation up, it's terrible that us fans get the run around about everything. It's all very confusing...

This stadium has been nothing less than a headache, and I just don't see a quick fix for it. If the seats are so 'undesirable' why spend the money for a party deck for fans to stand in the most undesirable area of the stadium? Why not make plans for a new stadium and get it over with? You can always take the new jumbo tron to the new stadium. FedEx will soon look like Jacksonville's stadium with the tarps if something doesn't change.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/fedex-field-landover-2

Does Danny not read the feedback on his stadium? to make a long story short its not very good, and as we know this is just a small example.

Is this a surprise to anyone? This is the very reason I told some friends why they tore out the seats. I also laugh at the notion that there was a legitimate "waiting" list for season tickets. It's just one embarassment after another for the Dan Snyder owned Washington Redskins.

Now cue the Snyder apologists.

but if anyone thins watching a game on the TV beats actually being there in person, no matter what gripes we may have about 'the game day experience' (hate that, like your a customer or some **** that can just change brands if the 'experience' isn't to your liking); then you truly aren't as committed a fan as those that actually do attend to help their team in person.

Hail.

I don't want you to think I'm griping at you, but the last sentence of your quote could be construed as sort of elitist, "I'm a better fan than you are because I go to the games." My mom lives in Charlotte and she bought season tickets last year. I went to the Dallass and Indy game with her last year. I can't go to all of them for work reasons. But some people because of circumstances (money, time, distance) cannot go to the stadium.

Some like me, would rather watch from home. I've never been one to be in crowds like that. I can't stand the over-drinking of fans (do you really need to drink more than 3 beers during a game), the idoit visiting fans (I was heckled by a Colts fan, A COLTS FAN, contantly for reasons unknow to me) to the crowded parking & traffic and the terrible music they play. I like being at home, in my comfortable recliner, unobstructed view, with a bathroom with no lines, free parking and a fridge full of food that didn't cost me a boatload. But that's just me. In my younger days, I loved going to the stadium. Not so much any more. A couple of times a year is OK, but no more.

I plan to go to the Giants, Jets and Patriots games this year. Maybe a 4th depending on work.

---------- Post added July-15th-2011 at 10:03 AM ----------

See...the more I care about a game, the less likely I am to want to go. I'm weird when I watch the Redskins. I pace, I talk to the TV, I mutter about what they need to do on 3rd down and have full conversations with myself...

Some of the bigger games I've been to (at least the ones that didn't turn into a laugher right away like the Dallas game I mentioned in my previous post), have been miserable. I have to hear dumb fans yell dumb things. I have to hear dumb fans boo for dumb reasons. I think I've had more fun going to the two VT games at FedEx Field because I really didn't care who won (and they were awesome matchups).

If the Redskins are playing in week 17 with something on the line, I don't want anyone around me...let alone 85K people.

I'm alot like you. I like to cuss and fuss in front of my own TV.

Hold on a sec. Couldn't sell them?!? I've been on the season ticket waiting list for about 6 years now and have never gotten a call.

The reasons for this are two-fold. The first is logistics. When tickets open up, they can't offer them to everyone on the waitlist at once. They also seem somewhat disorganized at times. Case in point: my wife and I signed up for the waitlist on the same day and the same time in 2002. My wife was offered tickets after 4 years, and I got my offer after 7 years.

But another huge reason is that they are manufacturing false demand. Anyone in that Skins marketing department would tell you that they would rather have some seats go unsold rather than open the dam for every single fan and obliterate the myth of the "waitlist", which is their single biggest marketing tool absent a decent football team. So they leave some fans hanging for several years in a desperate attempt to continue the rumor that Skins tickets are "hard to get".

As for the staff, there was a huge improvement last year, particularly in the stadium. Greeters, security, vendors, the stadium store staff were all much more friendly, outgoing and helpful than past years. I could give you multiple examples but it has nothing to do with this thread. Admittedly, the parking staff was hit of miss. I had some that were great and others, as you say, were pretty useless and did not know what was going on and could not speak English. But I think they were still better than previous years....parking attendants still need some work.

Could not disagree more with what you posted.

Someone could just as easily give stories on how the staff are still jerks...definitely better at Nationals Park and Verizon Center, specifically Nationals Park.

My dad's seats were in the section that was removed. They just told him that they were moving him down to a different part of the upper deck. Thing is, Snyder could sell the empty seats, he'd just have to reduce the price. Don't understand why he wouldn't do that. Ripping out seat seems drastic, unless he's planning to utilize that space for something else.

I had a thought the other day. Daniel M. Snyder is a one trick pony salesman, a huckster. His schtick worked in the old 90's economy when keeping up with the Joneses was the national passtime and everybody had cash to burn. He and his minions have been completely and totally unable to adapt to changing economic times and society.

I had a thought the other day. Daniel M. Snyder is a one trick pony salesman, a huckster. His schtick worked in the old 90's economy when keeping up with the Joneses was the national passtime and everybody had cash to burn. He and his minions have been completely and totally unable to adapt to changing economic times and society.

I've heard others suggest this as well. He's a PR nightmare.

Now you are piling on without being fair. The new HDTV screens do not have an overwhelming number of ads. First, there are far fewer ads than there were on the old mini-tron......far fewer. And second almost every ad shown last year on the HDTV featured football or Redskins highlights (current and historical) with a tagline under the video or at the end saying something like "Brought to you by xxxxxx". There was almost no blatant TV type commercials show on the HDTV screens. I think they were very well done considering that you have to do commercials to support the costs involved. EVERY stadium and professional sporting team has commercials all over their stadiums and arenas including commercials on their video screens. You cannot accuse the Skins of going overboard on that last year. Maybe it will change in the future; but last year they did a great job.

As for the staff, there was a huge improvement last year, particularly in the stadium. Greeters, security, vendors, the stadium store staff were all much more friendly, outgoing and helpful than past years. I could give you multiple examples but it has nothing to do with this thread. Admittedly, the parking staff was hit of miss. I had some that were great and others, as you say, were pretty useless and did not know what was going on and could not speak English. But I think they were still better than previous years....parking attendants still need some work.

Could not disagree more with what you posted.

Been a season ticket holder in the lower bowl for awhile and I stand by everything I've said. We talked about it during games in regards to ads. I'm sorry, but its still sub-par.

I 100% agree. I used to go to 2-3 Skins games a year (and one of them was always the Cowboy game), and since I stopped going, I much prefer watching at home. I've been to my fair share of sporting events in DC and other cities around the country, including playoff games and such, and just in general, the live sporting experience is overrated, IMO.

Baseball games are still somewhat fun to go to.

Aside from that, the only way live sporting events are "fun" is if you have incredible tickets that you did not pay for. Or sit in a luxury box. People can complain about wine and cheesers all they want but luxury boxes are awesome. The food is four feet away and you can poop in private.

My dad's seats were in the section that was removed. They just told him that they were moving him down to a different part of the upper deck. Thing is, Snyder could sell the empty seats, he'd just have to reduce the price. Don't understand why he wouldn't do that. Ripping out seat seems drastic, unless he's planning to utilize that space for something else.

Tampa Bay has kids seats in the UL corners (there are no UL endzone seats in that stadium). A parent can buy a ticket for $35, and a child's ticket is only $17.50. From what I heard those sections are mostly families. You have to worry less about the 18-30 crowd being around you. (although I personally enjoy getting hammered at the games). That would have been a good use for the seats

Fantastic post. The NFL is built for TV...even down to the ability to easily flip between two games in the 30 or so seconds between plays. To me, the biggest factor is I still have this NFL Sunday mentality where I enjoy some pre-game shows, both time slots, and highlights. When you commute 90 minutes to the game, sit at the stadium for 4 hours to watch the Skins, and then get right back in traffic to get home...it eats up your entire Sunday.

I have enjoyed games before (being at the December, 2005 Cowboys game is my favorite game-day memory ever), but as a general rule I'll take the comfort of my own home, perfect sightlines and HD, and the convenience of not being away from the family for 12 hours.

That's my biggest gripe about going to the games. On game days, I leave my house around 9am to get to the stadium. When I get back home, its around 6:30-7. It really is an all day affair. Don't get me wrong, I like going to the games, but it sucks to be gone all day.

Tampa Bay has kids seats in the UL corners (there are no UL endzone seats in that stadium). A parent can buy a ticket for $35, and a child's ticket is only $17.50. From what I heard those sections are mostly families. You have to worry less about the 18-30 crowd being around you. (although I personally enjoy getting hammered at the games). That would have been a good use for the seats

That's actually a really good idea. Every week they could sell those seats for cheap in a "Family Plan" that gives you tickets and a soda...and maybe they don't sell or allow booze up there. Keep it family friendly.

Now you are piling on without being fair. The new HDTV screens do not have an overwhelming number of ads. First, there are far fewer ads than there were on the old mini-tron......far fewer. And second almost every ad shown last year on the HDTV featured football or Redskins highlights (current and historical) with a tagline under the video or at the end saying something like "Brought to you by xxxxxx". There was almost no blatant TV type commercials show on the HDTV screens. I think they were very well done considering that you have to do commercials to support the costs involved. EVERY stadium and professional sporting team has commercials all over their stadiums and arenas including commercials on their video screens. You cannot accuse the Skins of going overboard on that last year. Maybe it will change in the future; but last year they did a great job.

I disagree with that. I go to tons of Orioles games and I can't say I remember seeing a commercial on the screen there. In between innings that have the condiment races, the crab shuffle, this or that, guess the year, bloopers, old O's highlights, etc. Why can't they do something similar at FedEx? There's tons of ads already in that place, the last thing I need is to watch more ads on the jumbo tron.

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins-Roundtable-Party-Deck-Thoughts/7dda8f61-2de8-4021-a3b7-6906e1bd60e0

ugh, so sad that they handled everything like this.

---------- Post added July-15th-2011 at 11:17 AM ----------

I disagree with that. I go to tons of Orioles games and I can't say I remember seeing a commercial on the screen there. In between innings that have the condiment races, the crab shuffle, this or that, guess the year, bloopers, old O's highlights, etc. Why can't they do something similar at FedEx? There's tons of ads already in that place, the last thing I need is to watch more ads on the jumbo tron.

They do stuff like "What year did this happen????" but compared to the ads, its very small. Plus, the intro videos were a joke. That stupid fighter jet thing? Really? Go hire the WWE to produce your opening montage.

They could have fans competing on the screens for something.

This was just posted on Redskins.com - It seems that Bruce Allen is still referring to the Party Decks as a defiant.

Allen Discusses FedExField Changes

This has been the second straight offseason of change for FedExField. Following on the heels of last season's popular additions -- end zone party decks and two enormous HD videoboards -- the stadium received two more major upgrades.

As it prepares to enter its fourteenth season, the Redskins' home field adds green power, in the form of solar panels provided through a partnership with NRG Energy. The stadium also welcomes a new silhouette, the result of the removal of several rows of seats in the upper deck end zones.

In an exclusive interview with Larry Michael, Redskins Executive Vice President and General Manager Bruce Allen discussed those improvements.

"We’re really proud of our new association with NRG," Allen says. "We believe that we’re going to have the greenest stadium in the country in the upcoming season."

The removal of several sections of seats in the upper decks along the end zones will yield several benefits, including a space for the installation additional solar panels.

And, Allen says, "It’s not only for the solar panels. Those party decks—we got a great response from our fans. And as we continue to change our stadium, to make it state-of-the-art, make it fan-friendly—and according to our surveys, those party decks are very, very popular, and that’s part of our long-term plan.”

Allen expects that fans displaced by the removal of their seats will have no complaints with the results of the changes. "Some fans up in the top row that are going to be very pleased with their new seats,” Allen says.

In the end, these changes are just the most recent steps in a far-reaching plan to provide Redskins fans with the best possible gameday experience.

"Obviously as we continue to work on making FedExField state-of-the-art, we’re going to continue to change," Allen says. "It will be no different than last year when we added those beautiful video boards.”

Archived