Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SB Nation- DC - Washington Redskins' COO And Dan Snyder Ally Dave Donovan Resigns For 'Personal Reasons'

@DCGoldPants

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-redskins/2011/7/11/2270367/dave-donovan-resign-washington-redskins-coo-dan-snyder

By Mike Prada - Senior Editor

Dave Donovan, the chief operating officer of the Redskins and a longtime ally to Dan Snyder, has resigned for "personal reasons." He will continue to help in a consulting role.

Jul 11, 2011 - Dave Donovan, the chief operating officer of the Washington Redskins and a longtime adviser to owner Dan Snyder, has resigned from his position for "personal reasons," according to a team press release. Donovan will be returning to the law firm he came from back in 2005. He will continue to consult with the Redskins, according to owner Dan Snyder in the release.

"I have had a great six years with the Redskins. It has been an experience I will always appreciate and never forget. For personal reasons, I am returning to partnership in the law firm that I left in 2005," Donovan said in the statement. "I am thrilled that I will have the ability to continue my relationship with the Redskins. I would like to thank Dan Snyder and all coaches and staff who I have worked with over my time with the team"

Donovan was probably best-known publicly for answering for Snyder on many issues, including the seizing of signs at FedEx Field in 2009.

For more on Donovan's resignation, visit Hogs Haven.

If memory serves me correctly, this guy was #2 d-bag behind Cerrato (#3 if you include Snyder)...

he was a lawyer.

by default (to many people) he was disliked. add to it that it was his job to defend snyder, and you get a lot of people who disliked him.

i personally think he did a good job. he got a bad rap because people in this area love to be sensationalists about everything, instead of being objective. the media is the same way for the most part.

edit: by good job, i'm assuming he's not the one actualyl making all of those decisions (even the ones i agree with), just the one trying to justify the legality of them in an effort to defend snyder.

If memory serves me correctly, this guy was #2 d-bag behind Cerrato (#3 if you include Snyder)...

You're wrong. He was a good guy and a major force behind most of the positive changes that have occurred on the non-football side of operations over the past 3-4 years. You shouldn't post crap about someone you know nothing about.

You're wrong. He was a good guy and a major force behind most of the positive changes that have occurred on the non-football side of operations over the past 3-4 years. You shouldn't post crap about someone you know nothing about.

Hey Dave, calm down :).

Just kidding, from what I have heard of him, he seems like a pretty good dude.

The poor man was sent out in public to defend Snyder during the height of the "burgandy revolution" in October '09, which was also in the aftermath of the Post writing about the law suits against deadbeat club seat holders.

He did his job as best as he could, but at times this owner makes it very difficult to work for him

The poor man was sent out in public to defend Snyder during the height of the "burgandy revolution" in October '09, which was also in the aftermath of the Post writing about the law suits against deadbeat club seat holders.

He did his job as best as he could, but at times this owner makes it very difficult to work for him

Maybe that's what it was -- defending Snyder would make anyone look pretty bad. I just remember him coming off sounding like a complete arrogant jerk during that time...Sounds like I am wrong, which isn't often ;)

Yeah Dave's a pretty good guy. Funny too. I remember him giving our bartender in Jacksonville pre game field passes so, as he told her, see what a real team looked like. :ols:

Maybe that's what it was -- defending Snyder would make anyone look pretty bad. I just remember him coming off sounding like a complete arrogant jerk during that time...Sounds like I am wrong, which isn't often ;)

No, that was the Washington Post with their own agenda against Snyder. Snyder did a lot of stupid things early on but when he got rid of his first team of advisors and replaced them wtih guys like Dave, things started to turn around. Snyder's first group seemed more interested in protecting Dan (which they did a lousy job of) than doing what was right for the franchise. I remember Dave telling me that the hardest thing he was fighting was turning around a "culture" throughout the non-football operation that was so focused on making every single penny and protecting Snyder at all costs that empoyees at all levels simply were forgetting to treat the fans as the customers they are.

Yeah Dave's a pretty good guy. Funny too. I remember him giving our bartender in Jacksonville pre game field passes so, as he told her, see what a real team looked like. :ols:

Nice. Good story. So any idea on what the reasoning was behind him stepping down? Was there tension that led to it? Or truly just a personal decision to return to a previous job and therefore really a non event?

I remember Dave telling me that the hardest thing he was fighting was turning around a "culture" throughout the non-football operation that was so focused on making every single penny and protecting Snyder at all costs that empoyees at all levels simply were forgetting to treat the fans as the customers they are.

So the guy who humanized Dan hit the road........what does that mean for the fan base?

Nice. Good story. So any idea on what the reasoning was behind him stepping down? Was there tension that led to it? Or truly just a personal decision to return to a previous job and therefore really a non event?

In his quote he said it was personal reasons, so go with that.

Donovan is a good guy.

Even when he was standing up for Snyder during the Zorn years, when Donovan came into the public light more, he ended up sounding very competent and rational even while defending Snyder's awful PR decisions publicly.

He's going back to the law firm where he came from. No need to read anything into this.

I look forward to a time when we don't all know the team attorney by name.

Granted, 95% of our fanbase probably wouldn't have a clue who David Donovan is if you were to ask them randomly. We're the hardcore 5%, I get that.

I'm just sayin, I'd be surprised if team lawyers play as prominent of a public roll with other sports franchises as Donovan has served here. It just doesn't seem normal to me.

I look forward to a time when we don't all know the team attorney by name.

Granted, 95% of our fanbase probably wouldn't have a clue who David Donovan is if you were to ask them randomly. We're the hardcore 5%, I get that.

I'm just sayin, I'd be surprised if team lawyers play as prominent of a public roll with other sports franchises as Donovan has served here. It just doesn't seem normal to me.

Except during the last several years, Dave was the Chief Operating Officer for non-football operations. He's the guy who brought in the HDTV screens, a new stadium management director, new people to run the Hall of Fame store and other retail operations, started the party deck/roof? changes, restructured the ticket office and changed ticket policies, brought in the auto upgrade process for STHs, worked to improve the parking situation including a new parking lot and new parking lot management team, new paint in the stadium, etc. He started out as in house Chief Counsel but eventually ran all the non football operations. But the media still wants to "sell" him to the fanbase as a lawyer and Snyder "ally" whatever the hell that means.

I am shocked--SHOCKED--that we are on page two already and there hasn't been a steady stream of "This is somehow Snyder's fault" posts yet.

I'm shocked that we've made it this far and no one has dropped a one-liner about the City Paper lawsuit, and how bad Donovan made Danny look with that letter to the city paper talking about bankrupting the hedgefun that the city paper uses to operate. AND, the subsequent SLAP legislation that resulted from said suit (amongst others).

LOL, Donovan, never met the dude, I have opinions of him that obviously differ from most of the guys on here who have shared personal experiences with the man, so I'll keep them to myself.

But I will say that this is great for Danny, one more spot opens at the table for a football guy.

HAIL!

Archived